Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4289471 - 08/22/16 05:51 PM DIY force-actuated joystick  
irgendeiner Offline
irgendeiner  Offline

Germany
Hello!
After lurking for some time, I decided to show the Joystick that I am working on.
As my last attempt of building a Joystick with a cam-mechanism didn't work out as planned, I tried to create a force-sensitive Joystick using strain gauges.

Some pictures (please excuse the quality, I have only my phone to take pictures):
The prototype (the design of the grip was a bit rushed and is too small):

This is the rod with attached strain gauges (only one pair connected to a cable yet):

A look on the electronics:

Each pair of strain-gauges is connected to a Wheatstone bridge (top left). The bridge-signal is amplified with an instrument amplifier (lower middle) and then read using differential analog-digital converters (upper and lower right) which are connected to the Arduino via an SPI-bus.

The force needed for maximum deflection is 6 N, but I have to check my calculations as that seems quite low (the real F-16 stick has up to 75 N to 140 N depending on the axis, although it is reported as being quite a handful to actuate).
It works surprisingly well, but as I have the electrical circuit built on a breadboard (the final version will have a pcb) the trimmers for adjusting the bridge are a bit loose and have to be adjusted every time before I use the stick. Another Problem is a small creep in one axis over time which I think could either be an electrical fault or a fault of one strain gauge. I can even fly helicopters as bad as I do with my other Joystick (a Logitech Extreme Pro 3d, so not much of a reference), as there is nearly no noticeable axis-bleed, which I had read about as being a problem with force-sensing sticks.

The next step is designing an adapter for the grip of an TM Cougar, which I hopefully receive next week.
I plan to upload the schematics once the design of the PCB is finished, but that could take a while.

Cheers,
Bernd

PS: If there is interest I can write a bit about the details of how it works.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4289494 - 08/22/16 06:47 PM Re: DIY force-actuated joystick [Re: irgendeiner]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Welcome! Yes, by all means, feel free to share more information. thumbsup

#4289514 - 08/22/16 07:29 PM Re: DIY force-actuated joystick [Re: irgendeiner]  
AndyB Offline
AndyB  Offline

Ayrshire, Scotland
Hi Bernd,

I for one would be interested in more info and the schematic.

As a Comanche pit builder that would make it just that bit more realistic as it's a force sensitive stick in the real one (before they dumped the project).

Cheers,

Andy

Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
#4289518 - 08/22/16 07:39 PM Re: DIY force-actuated joystick [Re: irgendeiner]  
robv Offline
robv  Offline

Netherlands
Hey that is a great thing! I made my own mechanical joystick but didn't think about force-actuation.

Perhaps this helps you? http://www.daco.co.uk/modular-controllers/force-joysticks

#4289525 - 08/22/16 07:52 PM Re: DIY force-actuated joystick [Re: irgendeiner]  
mega_mozg_13 Offline
mega_mozg_13  Offline

BELARUS, Minsk
Quote:

and then read using differential analog-digital converters (upper and lower right) which are connected to the Arduino via an SPI-bus

Hi, what ADC used?

#4289692 - 08/23/16 07:01 AM Re: DIY force-actuated joystick [Re: irgendeiner]  
irgendeiner Offline
irgendeiner  Offline

Germany
Hi,
Thanks for the interest! I will try to write everything up in the coming weeks, but as I have exams at the moment it might take a while.
Originally Posted By: robv

Thanks for the link, it seems the use the same technique as I do. My inspiration was the x65f, of which I found one picture of the applied strain gauges ( at the ED forums). This made me realize that it would be easier than thought (I had the Image of the milled load cell in mind before and as I have no access to a milling machine something like that was out of the question).

The ADC I use is a Microchip MCP3301 (data sheet), but any differential ADC will do. But as I use the amplifier (TI INA2126, data sheet) in the configuration shown on page 16 of the data sheet (only +5 V and Ground supplied, no -5 V Rail) I loose a bit less than 1 bit range of the ADC, that means that I have only 12 bit available while the MCP3301 supplies 13.
In my final configuration I also will replace those two ADC by only one with a Multiplexer, but as this was my first time interfacing with SPI on my own I wanted a simple solution.

Originally Posted By: AndyB
As a Comanche pit builder that would make it just that bit more realistic as it's a force sensitive stick in the real one (before they dumped the project).

Interesting that there was a helicopter that had a force-sensing stick, especially since the F-35 gets a normal side stick (with force feedback) because the hover-requirements instead the stick that the F-16 and F-22 use.

I will try to get the schematics into a representable state and upload them soon.

Greetings,
Bernd

Last edited by irgendeiner; 08/23/16 07:02 AM.
#4291919 - 08/30/16 06:45 PM Re: DIY force-actuated joystick [Re: irgendeiner]  
irgendeiner Offline
irgendeiner  Offline

Germany
Hello,
In the last week, I have received my Cougar and have adapted the Stick to fit it (I printed an Adapter to mount the Grip to the rod and written a routine to read the buttons).

While I like the feel of the Metal of the Grip, I have run into a new problem: As the Grip is both higher and far heavier, it acts like a Pendulum. If you don't hold the grip and give it a small nudge, it oscillates around the zero-point. Now that is not a big problem, but it is something which I want to eliminate later on by making the design more rigid.
I also soldered the Wheatstone bridges to a prototyping board which eliminated most of the headaches with the calibration (only the plugs of the cables to the strain gauges are a bit loose).
(Now that this is done, I try to have the schematics for you soon smile2)

Greetings,
Bernd

#4292039 - 08/31/16 03:59 AM Re: DIY force-actuated joystick [Re: irgendeiner]  
mega_mozg_13 Offline
mega_mozg_13  Offline

BELARUS, Minsk
irgendeyner
if you're interested, I can offer a little cooperation.
I have a working project joystick "MMJoy2", MCP320X family already there working(to add MCP330X there not a lot problem).
You do not need to "invent the wheel" with joystick/usb environment, and focus all efforts on the development of sensor.

Last edited by mega_mozg_13; 08/31/16 04:00 AM.
#4295330 - 09/11/16 08:21 PM Re: DIY force-actuated joystick [Re: irgendeiner]  
irgendeiner Offline
irgendeiner  Offline

Germany
Hello,
mega_mozg_13, I am interested, but at the moment it already works as intended. I will surely come back to you when I integrate other things.
Andy, I have finally come around to make a preliminary schematic of the project:

On the left you can see the Wheatstone bridges which are calibrated using a trimpot each, in the middle the dual channel Amplifier and on the right the two ADCs (they will be replaced by a single ADC in the final design). Not pictured is a microcontroller (in my case it will be an Arduino micro pro).

Greetings, Bernd

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.