Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4289566 - 08/22/16 09:05 PM Question for the Brits -- No Claims Discount  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Driving along last Friday on the motorway, stop-go traffic due to congestion. I then get rear-ended by the car behind me. Not very hard as it is stop-and-go traffic, but my rear bumper is definitely damaged and his front bumper is even worse off. We pull over to the shoulder, exchange details, and go on our way.

Wife called our insurance company today and they told her that we would lose our No Claims Bonus if we made a claim, regardless of who is at fault. She was pointed to the section in the policy asking whether "the driver has been involved in any accidents, regardless of fault or whether a claim was made or not." Looking around the interwebs, some sites says that my NCB should not be affected if I'm not at fault, which is how I expected it to be.

Just wondering if anyone has similar experiences to share. This is my first accident here in the UK and even if I've been in a few accidents back home, I've never been in the wrong and despite what the other drivers would say, it has always been found in my favor. I'm just unsure what to do.... do I make a claim? Should I get my bumper fixed? Is it worth the hassle? Is it worth the increase in my insurance next year? The car is running fine, the bumper is scratched and cracked but is in place. The left side of the bumper where it meets the fender is protruding out by maybe 2-3mm due to the impact but as far as I can tell, the fender is fine.

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4289572 - 08/22/16 09:13 PM Re: Question for the Brits -- No Claims Discount [Re: - Ice]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Welcome to No fault laws. MN has had it forever. You could have a parked car that was hit, and still
get the same song and dance routine from the insurance people. Might be best left un-reported and if
it bothers you, find a private body shop and get an estimate.

Never had to file a claim before. Been driving since 1977. In the long run, not worth it driving
up your rates.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4289575 - 08/22/16 09:19 PM Re: Question for the Brits -- No Claims Discount [Re: - Ice]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I think it's at the insurance companies discretion Ice as to how much NCD they take off you.This is why I always have protected no-claims on my car and bike policies.

It's crazy that you can be penalised for a non-fault accident dizzy

*edit* JimK has a point,see if she wants to keep the insurance out of it and pay for the repairs herself.

Last edited by Chucky; 08/22/16 09:21 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4289583 - 08/22/16 09:34 PM Re: Question for the Brits -- No Claims Discount [Re: - Ice]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

I'd be wary about not making a claim... You have had "an accident, regardless of fault or of whether a claim has been made or not"... and have notified the insurance about the incident already by calling them. If you attempt to pretend this never happened, then the insurance company would be entirely within their right to not uphold any future claim based on incorrect declarations and information. And if you acknowledge the accident, then you may lose the NCB anyway under their wording.

If they will penalise you whether or not you claim... then it makes sense to claim.

It might be worth checking on the behaviour of your specific insurance company in similar claim circumstances. Some are worse than others... You can always transfer to a new insurer if your existing one is awkward though, and this possibility can improve your negotiating position. Their offer is only an offer and you can take your trade elsewhere if you don't like it.

#4289590 - 08/22/16 09:43 PM Re: Question for the Brits -- No Claims Discount [Re: - Ice]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Driving along last Friday on the motorway, stop-go traffic due to congestion. I then get rear-ended by the car behind me. Not very hard as it is stop-and-go traffic, but my rear bumper is definitely damaged and his front bumper is even worse off. We pull over to the shoulder, exchange details, and go on our way.

Wife called our insurance company today and they told her that we would lose our No Claims Bonus if we made a claim, regardless of who is at fault. She was pointed to the section in the policy asking whether "the driver has been involved in any accidents, regardless of fault or whether a claim was made or not." Looking around the interwebs, some sites says that my NCB should not be affected if I'm not at fault, which is how I expected it to be.

Just wondering if anyone has similar experiences to share. This is my first accident here in the UK and even if I've been in a few accidents back home, I've never been in the wrong and despite what the other drivers would say, it has always been found in my favor. I'm just unsure what to do.... do I make a claim? Should I get my bumper fixed? Is it worth the hassle? Is it worth the increase in my insurance next year? The car is running fine, the bumper is scratched and cracked but is in place. The left side of the bumper where it meets the fender is protruding out by maybe 2-3mm due to the impact but as far as I can tell, the fender is fine.

If you make a claim against your own insurance you lose your NCD - you should be claiming against the other drivers insurance, as they are at fault. That way you keep the NCD on your own policy as you aren't making a claim against it. Typically the other driver might settle repair costs in cash in order to protect their NCD in this case.

Get an estimate for repair and ask the other driver if they wish to go through insurance or not. If the Cost is <500 they may opt to go with cash.

Nate

#4289593 - 08/22/16 09:50 PM Re: Question for the Brits -- No Claims Discount [Re: - Ice]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
In most states it behooves you to at least notify your insurance company if you get in an accident but don't want to file a claim. Otherwise, they only get the other guy's side of the story, and it may not bear much resemblance to reality.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4289597 - 08/22/16 10:07 PM Re: Question for the Brits -- No Claims Discount [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

See, I thought the "protected" NCB was only for when you get hit by non-insured drivers. Which was my first fear when the guy hit us.... but he assured as his car was covered.

Lieste, I totally agree with what you're saying. Plus that's what insurance is for anyway, isn't it? Otherwise, it's just like a protection racket. I'm not exactly sure what you mean about my specific company's insurance claim behaviors... I am already WITH that company, and have been with them for 3 years. My NCB is also only 3 years as I just started driving in the UK. Are you saying I can make a claim, then transfer to a new insurance company mid-policy term?

Nate, how do I claim against the other guy's insurance company? We didn't exchange insurance policy details... What good would it do to say "this guy is with [Insurance Company]" if you don't know his policy number or other details? I am thinking about going to a body shop to see how much repairs costs.... which brings me to my next question --- body shop or official Vauxhall dealer? I'm not even sure if I should be asking for a new bumper or if I should just be looking at getting this one fixed.

- Ice
#4289603 - 08/22/16 10:14 PM Re: Question for the Brits -- No Claims Discount [Re: Nate]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

Originally Posted By: Nate

If you make a claim against your own insurance you lose your NCD - you should be claiming against the other drivers insurance, as they are at fault. That way you keep the NCD on your own policy as you aren't making a claim against it. Typically the other driver might settle repair costs in cash in order to protect their NCD in this case.

Get an estimate for repair and ask the other driver if they wish to go through insurance or not. If the Cost is <500 they may opt to go with cash.

Nate

... except the wording of the policy as quoted suggests that even if you don't make a claim against your insurance, even being involved in an incident can affect your NCD fault or no fault...

#4289607 - 08/22/16 10:21 PM Re: Question for the Brits -- No Claims Discount [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I like to see it as "just asking" in case they want to take it into consideration, but I've always thought of giving them the benefit of the doubt and that if I were involved in an accident and it's not my fault and both parties have insurance, then I will get my car fixed and my policy will continue as normal while the guy at fault will suffer the penalties.

If I were to suffer any negative consequences due to this accident, then I totally see why stuff like whiplash injury scams happen. "If I'm going down anyway, might as well milk the system." Fortunately, I'm not that type of person.

- Ice
#4289609 - 08/22/16 10:30 PM Re: Question for the Brits -- No Claims Discount [Re: - Ice]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
Nate, how do I claim against the other guy's insurance company? We didn't exchange insurance policy details... What good would it do to say "this guy is with [Insurance Company]" if you don't know his policy number or other details? I am thinking about going to a body shop to see how much repairs costs.... which brings me to my next question --- body shop or official Vauxhall dealer? I'm not even sure if I should be asking for a new bumper or if I should just be looking at getting this one fixed.

I think you may be out of luck. Never leave the scene without the other parties insurance details (a quick photo of the disk will do). If the other driver had declined to give details, then it's a matter of getting the police involved to obtain the insurance info of the other party (if you have his reg number).

Don't bother going to the dealer, they just send it to the body shop you would have gone to, and charge you an extra percentage for the privilege smile

Nate

#4289660 - 08/23/16 01:42 AM Re: Question for the Brits -- No Claims Discount [Re: - Ice]  
Stewie Offline
Bar Steward
Stewie  Offline
Bar Steward

Torrevieja, Spain

Tell me you got his name, number plate, make and model of car. Photos would be good in this day and age too.

If the guy rear ended you, youre good. Its ALWAYS the driver at the back who is at fault.
Your NCB wont be affected. Youre claiming from HIS Insurance company, not yours. All yours is doing is processing paperwork.

If he didnt give you his name address etc, tell the police and your ins company, right now. Hes trying to do a runner. theyll find him.

If it was me? Id find out how much to repair, anything under 3-400 quid? let the other guy pay in cash. Up front though. Or you go to the police. Anything over that, Id let the insurance company deal with it. Its what you pay them for. And your NCB wont be affected.
Good luck.

P.S. If youre getting it fixed yourself...bodyshop. Ask your mates for recommendations.
If the other Insurance is paying they will give you a list of approved bodyshops that they deal with.

Last edited by Stewie; 08/23/16 01:48 AM.

>
#4289684 - 08/23/16 05:56 AM Re: Question for the Brits -- No Claims Discount [Re: - Ice]  
Vitesse Offline
Vitesse  Offline

Devon UK
Hi Ice, collisions and insurance are always a pita.

NCD can be protected by paying a small amount extra when you renew your insurance. They usually offer the option along with legal protection.

In your case I'd get the other guy to find a new bumper and arrange fitting without going through insurance (unless he starts to dick you around). As said, you claim off his insurers and it's 'no fault' for you.

Either way now you've spoken with your insurers and they know about the collision and you'll have to declare it for the next few years when you renew. Your premium will be higher because of it and it's not your fault. Sucks, doesn't it?

Edit - A repair firm may be just as good. Never used one myself.

Last edited by Vitesse; 08/23/16 05:58 AM.
#4289696 - 08/23/16 07:40 AM Re: Question for the Brits -- No Claims Discount [Re: Stewie]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted By: Stewie

If the guy rear ended you, youre good. Its ALWAYS the driver at the back who is at fault.

There are exceptions to that.

There was a scam going on in Sheffield about 14 years ago, where a car would wait for the change in traffic lights then as you accelerate away from the lights they would overtake you and slam on the brakes in front of you so close you could not avoid them and then make a claim against your insurance.

I was glad of having a video recording of what had happened when they tried it on me, they were prosecuted for insurance fraud as well as dangerous driving, I was not the first one they had done it to either.

It was all I needed at 2am just leaving a night time surveillance job, by the time the police had arrived it was getting a bit hairy with more and more people of a different ethnical background than me shouting and making a fuss, banging on the sides of the van, so I just stayed in the van and on the phone with the police operator until the police car arrived.

It wrote off a lot of expensive camera equipment in my van, also after that we fitted cameras and recorders to the other vans too.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4289706 - 08/23/16 08:15 AM Re: Question for the Brits -- No Claims Discount [Re: - Ice]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I'm not sure why you guys think a non-fault accident won't affect your NCD,here in the UK it will.There are more links I could have posted but this one sums it up. There doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rules about how much you lose,it's at the discretion of the insurance company.

https://www.uswitch.com/car-insurance/car-insurance-drivers-with-non-fault-claims/

Last edited by Chucky; 08/23/16 08:16 AM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4289715 - 08/23/16 09:25 AM Re: Question for the Brits -- No Claims Discount [Re: - Ice]  
AndyB Offline
AndyB  Offline

Ayrshire, Scotland
I can confirm the above.

My wife was recently run off the road by a lorry. The driver and company accepted full responsibility. The car was a write off (wife was OK).

Her insurance recovered the full amount from the company AND sold her car for spares.

They then took 4 years no claims off her.

They're all crooks as far as I'm concerned.

Andy

Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
#4289718 - 08/23/16 09:33 AM Re: Question for the Brits -- No Claims Discount [Re: - Ice]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
As mentioned before, I hope you have the other driver's details Ice, otherwise you will have no case. But Insurance companies will always try to wriggle out of any situation if possible. Be persistent in getting a claim made against the other party.
To quote an Insurance Company's T&C's: 'but its important to remember its a no-claims discount, not a no-blame discount.'

I was victim to a similar case as mentioned by Allcatt. Put off guard by the fact the car I rear-ended was driven by an elderly man who said damage was hardly visible, let's settle it without Insurance Co. involvement. Next thing I knew was my premium went up due to a claim for over 900.

#4289767 - 08/23/16 01:07 PM Re: Question for the Brits -- No Claims Discount [Re: Alicatt]  
Stewie Offline
Bar Steward
Stewie  Offline
Bar Steward

Torrevieja, Spain
Originally Posted By: Alicatt
Originally Posted By: Stewie

There are exceptions to that.

There was a scam going on in Sheffield about 14 years ago, where a car would wait for the change in traffic lights then as you accelerate away from the lights they would overtake you and slam on the brakes in front of you so close you could not avoid them and then make a claim against your insurance.

Heya AC smile
Well, you kinda answered yourself there, mate.
The rear ender is at fault, thats why they drove in front and slammed the brakes on. In the absence of video they say "he drove right up my ass"
The onus being on the driver at the back to leave enough distance for safe braking.
Now there is a plethora of CCTV cams to prove that it was, in fact, dangerous driving on behalf of the guys in front, this scam has kinda died a death.

That linbk you posted Chucky, full of info. Thanks.
Its ten years since I had to deal with an accident, things have obviously moved on.

Things Ive learned from this thread:
Insurance companies are thieving feckin bastards.

>
#4289771 - 08/23/16 01:13 PM Re: Question for the Brits -- No Claims Discount [Re: BD-123]  
Stewie Offline
Bar Steward
Stewie  Offline
Bar Steward

Torrevieja, Spain
Originally Posted By: BD-123
Be persistent in getting a claim made against the other party.

but its important to remember its a no-claims discount, not a no-blame discount.'

Yeah, that sucks. Just seen that in Chuckys link.
It kinda gives them the right to charge you whatever they want, call it admin fees, call it whatever, theyll rip you off even though it wasnt your fault.
I always used to assume (yeah, I know) that if you werent at fault then you didnt pay anything extra. Feck me, how naive am I
Mind you, in the past Ive had some accidents that other people caused. I dont remember being charged anything.
The world has changed, Im getting old biggrin

>
#4289928 - 08/23/16 07:15 PM Re: Question for the Brits -- No Claims Discount [Re: - Ice]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Just because you notify the insurance company doesn't mean you have to file a claim for them to pay.

My wife's car recently took a hit from a rock that fell out the back of a dump truck (hit the tire which sped it off right into her). Dented the hood and cracked the windshield. To fix the hood will cost $525, and we have a $500 deductible...so not bothering to file.

In Florida, there is a total replacement for glass law, so we get a new windshield for the car for free and it doesn't count as a claim because it's considered preventative...imagine the possible claims and liability if people declined to have it fixed and then it shattered on the highway. eek

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4289960 - 08/23/16 08:48 PM Re: Question for the Brits -- No Claims Discount [Re: - Ice]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Well, there is something to be said about the evil nature of insurance companies. Our first home owner insurance has a "three strikes" policy they didn't bother to put in writing - and they don't have to, as they can drop a person at will.

First was Katrina, which meant we got a new roof (yes, even far from the coast the wind still ripped off shingles).
Second was a renter that left the washing machine spigot on to a drip, which became a small lake under the laminate flooring and ruined all of it.
Third was an inquiry on a broken water pipe right where it enters the house (fortunately, on the outside).

They cancelled us just for asking about it - and all of it spread out over fifteen years.

We got another insurance company (and moved the cars there, too), and now that a few years have passed the old insurance company keeps calling us to ask if we want to come back!

In the main, though, it's just betting against one's self.

I say "I'm going to have a wreck today," and the insurance company says "bet you're not." So we put down money on it.

In the case of "no claim discounts," the betting goes the other way. "I'll bet I don't even talk to you about damage," and the company says "oh yes, you will," and we put money down on that bet, too. If I don't claim I don't pay full price - but if I do, the bet resets to the original wager.

Last edited by Dart; 08/23/16 08:49 PM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.