Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4239137 - 03/12/16 04:44 PM Single-Seat Simpit  
SierraAlphaMike Offline
SierraAlphaMike  Offline

It has taken me 25 years, but I finally got around to building my own flight simulator cockpit. Pictures, basic schematics and descriptions are below.

Controls:
Thurstmaster Warthog Stick on 120mm Extension by Adam
Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle
CH Products Pedals
TrackIR 5
Razer Keyboard and Mouse
Generic Numpad Keyboard
Logitech 5.1 Speakers

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4239138 - 03/12/16 04:56 PM Re: Single-Seat Simpit [Re: SierraAlphaMike]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Very nice! And first post as well! Welcome to SimHQ!

I see there seems to be an opening on the right side for you to get in/out? Can you get pics of that "in action"? That would be great!

Also, is your PC at the back (behind the chair) of the setup? How do your route the wires to the monitor that far?

- Ice
#4239141 - 03/12/16 05:05 PM Re: Single-Seat Simpit [Re: SierraAlphaMike]  
SierraAlphaMike Offline
SierraAlphaMike  Offline

Here is the sketched out design with dimensions and individual measurements.

The cockpit was built using the following:
80"x24" 0.5" Plywood - 6x
80"x24" 0.375" Plywood - 6x
80" 2x4 - 8x
60" 2x4 - 12x

Total cost, not including electronics, was roughly $600.

I attached everything with 2" or 3" screws, some countersunk, in order to make modification easier. The seat portion is free standing and only attached to the two walls via 2x 3/4" bolts on each side. The armrests are also attached using only 2x 3x4" bolts.

Above the cabinet door I mounted three 120mm fans behind a standard attic vent. Below the stick is a standard A/C register. The idea is that cool air is sucked through the cabinet from under the seat, into and past the computer, and finally up through the fans.

Cables for the TV, front speakers, Track IR, keyboard and pedals are all routed underneath and below the cockpit, then up through a hole near the computer. The mouse, throttle and numpad keyboard are routed through their respective armrests.

The seat cushions are 3" high density foam with a nylon and faux-fur cover.

The whole simpit is on wheels so I can move it around the garage as required. For storage, the two armrests are removable and the TV can be (with effort) rotated vertical.

#4239146 - 03/12/16 05:14 PM Re: Single-Seat Simpit [Re: - Ice]  
SierraAlphaMike Offline
SierraAlphaMike  Offline

Quote:
I see there seems to be an opening on the right side for you to get in/out? Can you get pics of that "in action"? That would be great!

The right side door opens outward with the hinge to the rear. There are two slide locks on the outside to secure the door when not in use and a single slide lock on the inside, accessible when you're in the seat. The mouse cable is routed through a 18" section of tubing, which is itself routed through holes in the rear of the door and through the seat. I used a section of elastic shock cord to keep the tubing under tension when you open and close the door. This keeps it from being pinched in the door jam. Photos to follow.

Quote:
Also, is your PC at the back (behind the chair) of the setup? How do your route the wires to the monitor that far?

The seat itself contains the subwoofer and computer. The subwoofer is immediately underneath the seat, forward of the computer. The TV, front speakers, Track IR, keyboard and pedals are all attached to 10' extension cables. The extension runs from the PC, under the floor, and up through a hole forward of the pedals, where they attach to the peripheral. If I decide to change out equipment, I don't have to re-route the whole cable, but just disconnect and reconnect at the foot of the pedals.

Last edited by SierraAlphaMike; 03/12/16 05:15 PM.
#4239150 - 03/12/16 05:33 PM Re: Single-Seat Simpit [Re: SierraAlphaMike]  
SierraAlphaMike Offline
SierraAlphaMike  Offline

I have a few small modifications left to complete:
1. Permanently affix the wireless antenna.
2. Stitch a nylon dust boot for the base of the stick extension, around the top of the Warthog base.
3. Move the keyboard tray forward. It is currently just out of arms reach without leaning forward.

The small numpad keyboard is primarily for FPS games and ARMA3. It is ergonomic and easy to reach without taking my left arm off the armrest.

I had originally envisioned making the left armrest rotatable in order to simulate a collective. I planned to drill a second mounting hole for the forward bolt, so that I can drop the front of the armrest, placing the throttle at a different angle. I decided that it wasn't worth the effort. The throttle works fine the way it is (with response inverted) and if I really want a collective, I plan to copy Hannibal's set-up for an Oculus Rift helo pit.

By that point, I'll have convinced myself I need a set of Slaw pedals as well as the Oculus Rift itself!

#4239161 - 03/12/16 06:12 PM Re: Single-Seat Simpit [Re: SierraAlphaMike]  
robv Offline
robv  Offline

Netherlands
Kudos for doing the drawing with pendil and paper!

#4239206 - 03/12/16 09:46 PM Re: Single-Seat Simpit [Re: SierraAlphaMike]  
LocNar Offline
LocNar  Offline

With a suicide door! :p

(sensible ingress/egress inclusion)

#4239690 - 03/14/16 01:33 PM Re: Single-Seat Simpit [Re: SierraAlphaMike]  
GrizzlyT Offline
GrizzlyT  Offline

Sterling Heights, Michigan
Welcome to SimHQ!
That's a fitting way to pop your cherry. biggrin

Nice job.

Grizzly's Comanche Simulator
"Fear is the mind killer. - Frank Herbert"
#4239693 - 03/14/16 01:43 PM Re: Single-Seat Simpit [Re: SierraAlphaMike]  
oneeyeddog Offline
oneeyeddog  Offline

Really nice! thanks for posting GrizzlyT

#4240537 - 03/16/16 05:36 PM Re: Single-Seat Simpit [Re: SierraAlphaMike]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

Nicely done, especially the cable routing!

Do you have it on casters or is it going to be pretty much stationary once it's in place?

And welcome!

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
#4240603 - 03/16/16 08:28 PM Re: Single-Seat Simpit [Re: SierraAlphaMike]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Nice Job! Where will your wife let you put it?

#4240681 - 03/16/16 10:43 PM Re: Single-Seat Simpit [Re: Falstar]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Falstar
Where will your wife let you put it?

Ooook. Now- think wisely about what answer you'll give to this one! rofl

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4287289 - 08/13/16 03:52 PM Re: Single-Seat Simpit [Re: SierraAlphaMike]  
SierraAlphaMike Offline
SierraAlphaMike  Offline

Update! Lots of new parts, tweaks and changes. Images to follow.

New Parts:
Oculus Rift
Gametrix JetSeat
Razer Gamepad
Genovation CP-24 Programmable Keypad

The Rift is amazing. Not much more than needs to be said about that! I'm still trying to find the best place for the sensor.

The JetSeat is also pretty cool. I sandwiched it between two layers of foam in the seat cushions, rather than simply laying it over the cushions. No change at all to the tactile feel, but the motors don't protrude into your thighs and back quite as much. It also looks a lot cleaner. Coupled with the Rift it's pretty awesome.

The small number keypad wasn't cutting it in ARMA, so I replaced it with a Razer Keypad. I'm currently trying to figure out an elegant way to secure it, and at the end of the day, I might resort to 3M double-sided tape!

The CP-24 is going to be mounted in front of the throttle, at an angle, so that it's easy to reach by simply moving my hand forward. It's a 6x4 pad, and relatively easy to use by feel alone. This is going to be my universal device, with commands like 'eject', 'canopy open/close', 'labels on/off', all in the same place, in every sim. With the Rift on, it's hard to fumble around on the keyboard, trying to find the right key, so I want the most frequently used commands easy to get to.

I plan to do a similar thing to the Warthog throttle. I want to fabricate some small switch caps, like one in the shape of a gear lever, so secure to the top of some of the throttle base switches, then cover the labels up, or re-label them. I raise and lower landing gear a lot more than I turn on and off EAC, especially outside the A-10!

Quote:
Do you have it on casters or is it going to be pretty much stationary once it's in place?

Yup, it's on wheels! Between the XJ, a treadmill and the simpit, there's not a whole lot of room left in the garage, but it's nice to be able to wheel it around when I need the space!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.