Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4285830 - 08/08/16 07:23 PM Tesla car drives owner to hospital after he suffers pulmonary embolism  
Desert Eagle Offline
Master of the Weird
Desert Eagle  Offline
Master of the Weird
Veteran

Portugal
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/37...monary-embolism

Quote:
Joshua Neally was driving his Tesla Model X home from his office in the US city of Springfield, Missouri, to nearby Branson. But after pulling onto the highway, he started suffering piercing pain in his stomach and chest.
Rather than call an ambulance, the lawyer decided to find a hospital using his car's self-driving mode

Around 20 miles (32km) down the road, the 37-year-old's Tesla arrived at the road leading to the hospital emergency department. He told Slate that he manually steered the electric vehicle in to the car park and checked himself in to the emergency room. A pulmonary embolism is a potentially fatal obstruction of a blood vessel in the lungs.
Doctors say he was lucky to survive it while driving.

I can't see a better publicity for Tesla than story like this, specially after that case of the driver who trusted the autopilot too much and ended crashing against a truck.

On the other hand I can see a future where someone programs his car to take in cross country, dies during the journey, and no one notices anything until the car arrives at it's destination.

©2010-oo All Your rights belong to Me

By reading this You acknowledge that Your body and soul, including all your worldly possessions, are now property of this poster. Any unauthorized use of them will be punished.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4285853 - 08/08/16 08:26 PM Re: Tesla car drives owner to hospital after he suffers pulmonary embolism [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
There are good things and not so good things about robot cars - and like all technologies, it comes down to the right application.

Every time I hear "self driving cars" I think of the boon it could be to the elderly and disabled people.

Hopefully I'll live long enough for some caring jerk to take my driver's license from me. I do not want that to put me under de facto house arrest. I'd rather limp my ancient butt to my robot car and after getting in say "Waffle House," go have some eggs and coffee on my own schedule, limp back into the car and say "Miss Fong's Home For Wayward Girls."*

Likewise, it would be great to rent a self driving car and do a proper pub crawl.

* In my perfect future, that's my nursing home of choice.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4285871 - 08/08/16 08:51 PM Re: Tesla car drives owner to hospital after he suffers pulmonary embolism [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
The problem with non-self driving cars is they rely upon people to drive them.

People are unreliable and literally tens of thousands die every year. Over 38,000 last year. To think that an all-automated system would be much worse is hard to believe.

However, it's quite possible that a mixed system would be worse until the number of driverless cars reaches a critical mass, say 30 % or 70% or so. People expect other cars to behave the way they drive, so a robot would make different decisions and could lead a driver to hit it.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4285872 - 08/08/16 08:51 PM Re: Tesla car drives owner to hospital after he suffers pulmonary embolism [Re: Desert Eagle]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

#4285885 - 08/08/16 09:29 PM Re: Tesla car drives owner to hospital after he suffers pulmonary embolism [Re: Jedi Master]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
The problem with non-self driving cars is they rely upon people to drive them.

People are unreliable and literally tens of thousands die every year. Over 38,000 last year. To think that an all-automated system would be much worse is hard to believe.

However, it's quite possible that a mixed system would be worse until the number of driverless cars reaches a critical mass, say 30 % or 70% or so. People expect other cars to behave the way they drive, so a robot would make different decisions and could lead a driver to hit it.

The Jedi Master

We'll agree right after we disagree!

The theory is that self-driving cars are the way forward in urban environments, but I can't think of anything more disruptive to traffic in Miami than a car doing the speed limit, keeping to a lane, and observing the rules of the road.

In suburbia, however, it's not such a big deal, as traffic is usually fairly light and most people don't drive like it's two minutes until the apocalypse and the liquor stores are about to close.

When one thinks of the number of trips taken in human driven vehicles across the nation on a minute-by-minute basis, driving is improbably safe.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4285930 - 08/09/16 01:05 AM Re: Tesla car drives owner to hospital after he suffers pulmonary embolism [Re: Desert Eagle]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Those 38K deaths per year- I've looked it up myself- are interesting from a social response aspect when you consider that they were almost all inadvertent events.

If there were 38K deaths in the USA per year during commercial domestic airline flights, what would happen?

I find it strange that the public in general gets righteous about *causes* of needless death, as if the cause influences the quality of the loss of life or something, instead of getting worked up about the *fact* of the needless deaths. The dead folks probably would see no difference if they could be asked- the common denominator was needless death. We as a society tolerate some degree of it, as long as we can point at a more shocking cause. I think it helps us manage our own fear of death to be able to say, 'Well yeah at least they didn't die from ______!'. We put conditions on it and it makes us feel in control of something.

Very odd.

Anyway. Self driving cars. Has to be all or nothing. If people drive this badly now, imagine how bad they are when the car they are so bad at driving does 90% of their driving for them, and 10% of the time they are now skill-less, un-practiced idiots driving that car instead of semi-skilled, practiced idiots.

I have said for years that all our gee-whiz electronic safeties have taught us is that overall, we can drive even more carelessly without fear of injury. I say that because most drivers don't get that good, real scare and most do not see or experience a horrible injurious accident. It obviously has not helped us save lives if 38K still die each year.

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4286043 - 08/09/16 02:08 PM Re: Tesla car drives owner to hospital after he suffers pulmonary embolism [Re: Desert Eagle]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
I've always said that most people don't drive their cars, they ride in it. They can't manage the simplest driving skills, like parking or using a signal and others think that they are Nascar Drivers weaving through traffic and always trying to go 10 mph faster than the flow, these would be the people who would manual drive their cars even when 90% of the cars on the road have become autonomous and not because they are better drivers. Everyday I see scary things like the guy last night in a Prius, on I-75 doing 60 while everyone else is doing 80 wandering side to side in his lane and looking at a tablet as I passed him. SMDH

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.