Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4283751 - 08/01/16 01:33 PM Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

What with HQ's latest assignment given to Lt. Colonel Artemus Burroughs, (my longest-running DID pilot), I am needing to add in the many aerodromes across Britain from which the nearly 200 training schools and squadrons operated from. I spent some time yesterday on this little project and have about a third of them placed already, and I will return to the task after my upcoming work road trip. For those interested, here is the list of the aerodromes in Britain, (give or take a few, and not including Ireland), involved during the course of WWI in the training of its much-needed pilots:

1. Beaulieu
2. Beverley
3. Bicester
4. Boscombe Down
5. Calshot
6. Catterick
7. Chattis Hill
8. Crail
9. Cramlington
10. Cranwell
11. Croydon
12. Doncaster
13. Driffield
14. Duxford
15. East Fortune
16. Eastbourne
17. Eastchurch
18. Easton-on-the-Hill
19. Edzell
20. Fairlop
21. Feltwell
22. Fowlmere
23. Gosport
24. Gullane
25. Harlaxton
26. Harling Road
27. Hooton Park
28. Hounslow
29. Hucknall
30. Lake Down
31. Lee-on-Solent
32. London Colney
33. Lopcombe Corner
34. Montrose
35. Narborough
36. Netheravon
37. Newmarket
38. Northolt
39. Old Sarum
40. Redcar
41. Rendcombe
42. Rochford
43. Scampton
44. Scopwick
45. Shawbury
46. Shoreham
47. Shotwick
48. South Carlton
49. Spitalgate
50. Suttons Farm
51. Tadcaster
52. Tern Hill
53. Thetford
54. Throwley
55. Upwood
56. Waddington
57. Waddington
58. Weston-on-the-Green
59. Witney
60. Wittering
61. Wyton
62. Yatesbury

As you can see, only three or so are currently in WOFF. But won't it be nice to be flying about over jolly old England and see a few more fields at your disposal. Keep in mind however that while you will see them in the landscape and can use them if you choose to, they will not be included in the list of available aerodromes to operate from in WOFF, (unless of course the devs choose to add them into the core of the sim).

I will keep you all posted of my progress.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4283760 - 08/01/16 01:52 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Wow that is a lot of work. Thank you, Lou. What an awesome community we have.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4283766 - 08/01/16 02:03 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
jawdrop

#4283767 - 08/01/16 02:04 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
+1 to Hellshade comment.

Lou, you seem incapable of not biting off more than you can chew!! biggrin

Seriously, I would be remis if I didn't thank you for all you do for us WOFFers!

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 08/01/16 06:37 PM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4283781 - 08/01/16 02:44 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Lou, come back down on the carpet, man! 200 aerodromes... Geeze!

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4283782 - 08/01/16 02:48 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: Olham]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: Olham

All hand crafted to be historically accurate, too. biggrin
(just kidding Lou!)

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4283828 - 08/01/16 05:40 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Yessir. That is a mighty big list and a mighty big job however...

I see 56 Squadrons original field is listed there and I'll have to break out my books to see where they stop and refueled in route to their first deployment in France. Be kind of neat to recreate that first deployment trip out of England.

#4283908 - 08/01/16 09:54 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Looks like this could be brilliant.
I am in awe of you and all the modders on this forum that take time out of their schedules to make WOFF even better.
Great work by all of you guys

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4283930 - 08/01/16 11:47 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
Fantastic effort! Luv it. will certainly make use of them.

"Somewhere out there is page 6!"
"But Emillo you promised ....... it's postpone"
ASWWIAH Member
#4283936 - 08/02/16 12:38 AM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
And here I am just watching the forum, not even able to squeeze in a flight, not even able to post in all the threads that I'd like to. Not to pity me, but real life is awfully full right now. Our man here is incredible, no other word to describe it. He just keeps hitting 'em out of the park!

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#4283954 - 08/02/16 02:25 AM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Mr_Dirt Offline
Mr_Dirt  Offline

Missouri USA
You the man Lou!

#4283955 - 08/02/16 02:48 AM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Lou, that is a great idea and knowing you, it will be well done in record time. And not to be greedy, do I sense a map of Britain in our future?

#4284002 - 08/02/16 12:01 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Sandbagger Offline
Hotshot
Sandbagger  Offline
Hotshot

Coningsby, Lincs, UK
Hi Lou,
Some task you've taken on yep
If it's any help I haveseveral of the old Action Stations books, which give data, photos and plans of airfields in the various counties of the UK.
If needed I can scan and mail information to you.

[Linked Image]

Alienware Aurora R5
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i7-6700K 4.2Ghz
Two GTX 1080 Foundations in SLI (8 Gig each)
32 Gig DDR4 2133Mhz
1TB SSD boot drive - 1TB SATA storage drive
5.1 Surround Sound
34" Dell Ultra Sharp U3415W (3440x 2440)
CH Pro-Pedals, Stick and Throttle
TrackIR-5 Pro
#4284016 - 08/02/16 01:04 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
ArisFuser Offline
ArisFuser  Offline

Wow Lou, that´s an impressive list!
A hard job for sure, keep it going, it will be much appreciated.

#4284290 - 08/03/16 01:08 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Thanks for the encouragement Gents, it is greatly appreciated. I had time this AM, (after returning home from my recent road trip and before heading out the door again), to finish inserting all the lines of new text in the gsl layer test file and was pleased to find that all the new aerodromes now appear in the sim. Next I will inspect each drome for fit into the surrounding landscape and for correct elevation. Keep in mind I am using one of the British generic aerodromes for all these new fields and once they are all where they should be I can come back and tweak the layout of individual dromes when, and if, time allows. But I will be releasing the mod before that.

Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins
Lou, you seem incapable of not biting off more than you can chew!! biggrin

Robert, I never bite off more than I can chew, but there are occasions where it can take me a long time to fully chew said bite.

Olham, it is only about 65 aerodromes, so not nearly as bad as all that. 200 or so different squadrons operated from them over the course of the war.

Originally Posted By: Hellshade

All hand crafted to be historically accurate, too. biggrin
(just kidding Lou!)

Hellshade, damn right you're kidding!

Originally Posted By: Raine
Lou, that is a great idea and knowing you, it will be well done in record time. And not to be greedy, do I sense a map of Britain in our future?

Possibly, depending on how far into the future you are looking.

Originally Posted By: Sandbagger
Hi Lou,
Some task you've taken on yep
If it's any help I have several of the old Action Stations books, which give data, photos and plans of airfields in the various counties of the UK.
If needed I can scan and mail information to you.

Sandbagger, I would very much appreciate any information you may be able to provide. Photos, dates of operation, squadrons based at which dromes at what times – anything of that sort really. Thanks!

I will continue to plug away at this and post progress as it is made.

Cheers!

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.

#4284334 - 08/03/16 03:09 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert
Olham, it is only about 65 aerodromes...

ONLY 65... Is there a cocaine factory near your water supplies, Lou? biggrin

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4284478 - 08/03/16 09:19 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
When you get all those done, Lou, WOFF will play at 19 frames/sec.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
#4284479 - 08/03/16 09:34 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: Hauksbee]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
Originally Posted By: Hauksbee
When you get all those done, Lou, WOFF will play at 19 frames/sec.

If that's the case, I'll just pretend my pilot has epilepsy

I got fired as the door man at a sperm bank.
Apparently it's in poor taste to tell leaving customers "Thanks for coming."

Former U.S. Army Medic - SGT.
#4284489 - 08/03/16 09:49 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

I don't think they will have that much impact Hauksbee but if they do you can simply shut off the mod via JSGME when not flying in Britain. Also, I am using the smallest of the generic aerodromes in terms of object count which should help.

Oh, and Olham, no cocaine factory near our water supply - that I'm aware of.

[Linked Image]

#4285346 - 08/06/16 01:22 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

OK, so, every time I delve into one of these WOFF projects I am quickly struck by just how much time and effort the devs have had to put into this sim over the years. Even a relatively simple task like properly placing an aerodrome into the landscape takes far longer than anyone might first imagine. Keep in mind this process involves no model work of any kind as it is nothing more than entering a single line of text in the global layer file. However, that single line of text requires that you first research and find the precise latitude and longitude for the aerodrome you wish to add. Once that is accomplished you create the new line of text using these coordinates, then enter in your best guess at what the elevation of the new drome should be, after which you jump into the sim above the newly-placed aerodrome and see how it initially fits with the surrounding landscape. Unless you are living a truly blessed life it will not fit well. That elevation guess you took will be off, anywhere from a little to a lot, and thus will need to be adjusted to match that of the countryside surrounding the drome. After you have the elevation sorted out you could just call the thing done as it will work fine, but if you want it to really fit in nicely you will need to rotate the aerodrome to better mesh with the fields adjacent to it, and move it about slightly until it connects with one of the nearby country lanes or highways. This can be quite tedious, especially if you're an AR type.

So, how long does this entire process take for an aerodrome you may ask? For me it is currently averaging about 30 to 45 minutes, and given that I have sixty-some aerodromes on my list - well - you can do the math.

Here is an example of a properly fitted drome. It is Beddington as seen looking north towards London, and it sits directly on the west side of the main road between Purley and Croydon. Later in the war Waddon aerodrome would be built on the other side of the road, and in 1919 the two would be merged and become Croydon aerodrome.

And here is a view from the cockpit. Notice how I have lined up one of the roads coming from the aerodrome with the lane across from it. This is just one of the madnesses I suffer.

Ah well - back to it!

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80