Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4285353 - 08/06/16 02:01 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
wow. Your madness - everyone elses' benefit. It looks fantastic Lou. Keep up the great work!

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4285357 - 08/06/16 02:07 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
This is just one of the madnesses I suffer.

Occupational hazard - no, requirement-
Welcome to the madness
Cheers
Shredward

We will remember them.
#4285419 - 08/06/16 07:19 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Sandbagger Online smile
Hotshot
Sandbagger  Online Smile
Hotshot

Coningsby, Lincs, UK
Good first choice Lou - I grew up a few miles from Croydon and as a kid played in Beddington park yep

Last edited by Sandbagger; 08/06/16 07:20 PM.

[Linked Image]

Alienware Aurora R5
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i7-6700K 4.2Ghz
Two GTX 1080 Foundations in SLI (8 Gig each)
32 Gig DDR4 2133Mhz
1TB SSD boot drive - 1TB SATA storage drive
5.1 Surround Sound
34" Dell Ultra Sharp U3415W (3440x 2440)
CH Pro-Pedals, Stick and Throttle
TrackIR-5 Pro
#4285425 - 08/06/16 07:49 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert

OK, so, every time I delve into one of these WOFF projects I am quickly struck by just how much time and effort the devs have had to put into this sim over the years. Even a relatively simple task like properly placing an aerodrome into the landscape takes far longer than anyone might first imagine. Keep in mind this process involves no model work of any kind as it is nothing more than entering a single line of text in the global layer file. However, that single line of text requires that you first research and find the precise latitude and longitude for the aerodrome you wish to add. Once that is accomplished you create the new line of text using these coordinates, then enter in your best guess at what the elevation of the new drome should be, after which you jump into the sim above the newly-placed aerodrome and see how it initially fits with the surrounding landscape. Unless you are living a truly blessed life it will not fit well. That elevation guess you took will be off, anywhere from a little to a lot, and thus will need to be adjusted to match that of the countryside surrounding the drome. After you have the elevation sorted out you could just call the thing done as it will work fine, but if you want it to really fit in nicely you will need to rotate the aerodrome to better mesh with the fields adjacent to it, and move it about slightly until it connects with one of the nearby country lanes or highways. This can be quite tedious, especially if you're an AR type.

So, how long does this entire process take for an aerodrome you may ask? For me it is currently averaging about 30 to 45 minutes, and given that I have sixty-some aerodromes on my list - well - you can do the math.

Here is an example of a properly fitted drome. It is Beddington as seen looking north towards London, and it sits directly on the west side of the main road between Purley and Croydon. Later in the war Waddon aerodrome would be built on the other side of the road, and in 1919 the two would be merged and become Croydon aerodrome.

And here is a view from the cockpit. Notice how I have lined up one of the roads coming from the aerodrome with the lane across from it. This is just one of the madnesses I suffer.

Ah well - back to it!

I can relate to what you have said Lou!! Oh yeah!!
Then if you are AR enough, the next step would be historically populating the field with the necessary structures provided you do your historical research and find all the info you need!! yep ..... sigh

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4285451 - 08/06/16 11:47 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Mr_Dirt Offline
Mr_Dirt  Offline

Missouri USA
Oh the madness Lou! Your madness is more talented the any ability I have. You have more in your little finger than I in my whole soul. I look at you and the other talented gentlemen at this forum and marvel at the talent you people have. I am a lucky person to see all that you and the rest do. I am very lucky that the talented people at OBD gave you talented artists such a very fine canvas to paint on. I am fortunate to get to use all the pretties you and the talented others make. Thank you all very much!
John

Last edited by Mr_Dirt; 08/06/16 11:56 PM.
#4285458 - 08/07/16 12:16 AM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
I for one know it is nice to have others appreciate and benefit from the efforts of all the modders. We have a GREAT membership on this forum!

(System_Specs)

#4285462 - 08/07/16 12:32 AM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Mr_Dirt Offline
Mr_Dirt  Offline

Missouri USA
The gentlemen here have always been of the highest caliber!

#4285505 - 08/07/16 07:50 AM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Dezh Offline
Vice President Barmy OFFers Club
Dezh  Offline
Vice President Barmy OFFers Club

Hampshire, United Kingdom
If you need any help with layout of hangers etc or exact co-ordinates, Lou, I have the full Cross & Cockade Gazetteer of aerodromes in the UK, the content of which I'm happy to share. Assuming you don't have it yourself that is.

Oh that I was back in the dear old PBI.
With no more Triplanes on me tail, nor tracer tracing by.
And no more flames and clickerty-clack and no more blooming sky,
And only a couple of feet to fall whenever I want to die.

No. 56 Squadron Song
#4285514 - 08/07/16 10:46 AM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Thanks again Gents for the kudos and the encouragement, it all serves to keep my spirits high on this little project.

Dej, thank you for your offer Sir, I will always take any information offered regarding the subject of WWI aviation. For now I am only placing the already available generic British aerodromes in the needed locations. However, once this task is completed I may well start knocking out a few of the particular facilities themselves at which point plans and photos would be invaluable.

By the way all, last night as I was attempting to place one of the training school locations in Scotland I discovered the northern edge of the WOFF world. I literally hit the wall at the 55th parallel, you cannot go beyond it despite being able to look far off to the north. Apparently, out there be monsters. So it looks like Redcar will be the northernmost of the dromes I am adding in this project.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4285775 - 08/08/16 04:47 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
I have always wanted to simulate training by using airfields in England to just rack up flight hours in free flight, pretending I'm in a reserve squadron. This looks amazing!

I got fired as the door man at a sperm bank.
Apparently it's in poor taste to tell leaving customers "Thanks for coming."

Former U.S. Army Medic - SGT.
#4286048 - 08/09/16 02:18 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Here is a quick update on this project for you folks who are following it. I have about fifteen dromes left to get properly aligned and fitted into the WOFF landscape. Once these are done I may do the same with the existing WOFF dromes in England as there are not that many and it would be nice to see them all fitting snugly into their surroundings. The following is the amended list of aerodromes with the northernmost few that are "beyond the edge" eliminated and several others added in, (which I discovered in my ongoing research):

1. Andover
2. Beaulieu (East Boldre)
3. Beddington
4. Beverley
5. Bicester
6. Boscombe Down (Red House Farm)
7. Calshot
8. Castle Bromwich
9. Catterick
10. Chattis Hill
11. Cranwell
12. Doncaster
13. Driffield (Eastburn)
14. Duxford
15. Eastbourne
16. Easton-on-the-Hill (Collyweston)
17. Fairlop
18. Feltwell
19. Fowlmere
20. Gosport (Fort Grange)
21. Harlaxton
22. Harling Road (Roudham)
23. Hooton Park
24. Hucknall
25. Lake Down
26. Lee-on-Solent
27. London Colney
28. Lopcombe Corner (Hollom Down)
29. Narborough
30. Newmarket (Rowley Mile)
31. Northolt
32. Old Sarum (Ford Farm)
33. Redcar
34. Rendcombe
35. Scampton (Brattleby)
36. Scopwick (Digby)
37. Shawbury
38. Shoreham
39. Shotwick
40. South Carlton
41. Spitalgate
42. Stamford (Wittering)
43. Tadcaster (Bramham Moor)
44. Tern Hill
45. Thetford
46. Throwley
47. Upwood
48. Waddington
49. Waddon
50. Weston-on-the-Green
51. Witney
52. Wyton
53. Yatesbury

Also, other aerodromes used for training that are already in WOFF are: Biggin Hill, Eastchurch, Hounslow, Netheravon, Rochford, Sutton’s Farm.

And here is a map I knocked together showing the location of all the above dromes, (right-click on the image and open it in a new window as it is quite large):

Later all.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.

#4286107 - 08/09/16 06:15 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
JJJ65 Online cool
JJJ65  Online Cool

Czech Rep.
I literally hit the wall at the 55th parallel, you cannot go beyond it despite being able to look far off to the north. Apparently, out there be monsters. So it looks like Redcar will be the northernmost of the dromes I am adding in this project.

Hi Lou,
did you try to change coords value of upper left map corner in file "mapdata.xml"? Maybe that would be solution. Change "N55" to higher value.

Code:
<Map Image="map\alt_low.bmp">
            <UpperLeft Lat="N55" Lon="W7 4.5"/>
            <LowerRight Lat="N41" Lon="E14 4.5"/>
         </Map>

EDIT: It seems that above value are used just for in-flight map?

Last edited by JJJ65; 08/09/16 06:20 PM.
#4286117 - 08/09/16 06:48 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

JJJ65, I believe there is more to it than that. Also, while you can look off into the distance it appears to be a wasteland devoid of the usual in-sim features.

[Linked Image]

#4286118 - 08/09/16 06:56 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
JJJ65 Online cool
JJJ65  Online Cool

Czech Rep.
Yes, you are right. Everything must have some border, sim landscape too.

#4286160 - 08/09/16 10:10 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
OOOOH, so the world may actually be flat in the sim world, contrary to Pythagorus theorem, which it appears doesn't apply here! biggrin

(System_Specs)

#4286329 - 08/10/16 03:30 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Well of course the sim world is flat and it will stay that way until you have a round monitor, or more precisely an oblate spheroid monitor.

[Linked Image]

#4286342 - 08/10/16 03:53 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
Thankyou Lou. You truly are barmy
Wickr woc woc

We will remember them.
#4286862 - 08/12/16 12:53 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Good morning all. A quick update before I hit the road again. I have only three aerodromes left to fit into the landscape, but I took a short break from that to begin sorting out a large general-service-style hangar to use in the additional generic aerodromes I am putting together for this project. As I am not a model builder I have to work with what is currently available. So, after an intitial repaint of one of the stock CFS3 hangars, and some clever placement of a few additional smaller sheds, here is what I have so far:

(right-click on images and open in new tabs to view them full size)

Still some fine tuning to be done but once completed it should suffice in bringing a bit more diversity and historically-based atmosphere to the whole affair.

Later.

[Linked Image]

#4287461 - 08/14/16 06:46 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Just added some updated screenshots to my above post, for those interested in how things are progressing.

Cheers!

[Linked Image]

#4287462 - 08/14/16 06:48 PM Re: Speaking of aerodromes, I am currently adding more in Britain [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida

Just added some updated screenshots to my above post, for those interested in how things are progressing.

Cheers!

Wow! Amazing stuff Lou. What an incredible gift to the community! Well done to you sir. It all looks incredible.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM