Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4280388 - 07/20/16 04:13 PM Star Trek Beyond  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
93% on Rottentomatoes so far even though it's only based on 43 critics reviews so that score may change a bit. Either way, I'll be seeing it this Saturday.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_beyond/

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4280413 - 07/20/16 05:54 PM Re: Star Trek Beyond [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Yes, I saw that, and hope it's a good indication that it's better than the previous two, at least. I'm looking forward to hearing what you thought of it.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4280437 - 07/20/16 08:21 PM Re: Star Trek Beyond [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
The odds of it being the best one are slim. Remember that 93% isn't an absolute objective scale, it will be biased by the reviewers' expectations based on the previous ones and other current films (like Star Wars).
So if they loved the 2009 ST, this could mean "almost as good".

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4280438 - 07/20/16 08:21 PM Re: Star Trek Beyond [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Let us know how it goes. The first two (the second especially for whatever reason) I found incredibly gag inducing. Basically Transformers with an Enterprise thrown in.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4280439 - 07/20/16 08:21 PM Re: Star Trek Beyond [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
But 100% less Shia.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4280681 - 07/21/16 04:48 PM Re: Star Trek Beyond [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
So 93% is good, or it's 93% rotten? I never understand what I'm seeing with that sight. Is it a red rotten tomato, a green splat or a campfire? None sound positive to me.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4280691 - 07/21/16 05:00 PM Re: Star Trek Beyond [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
It means that 93% of the critics reviews are positive while 7% are negative.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4281415 - 07/24/16 04:38 AM Re: Star Trek Beyond [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Just got home from watching this and I felt it was overall a pretty solid film. Its biggest strength is that it didn't have the gaping plot holes that we saw with "Into Darkness".

What struck me the most about this film is that I couldn't tell at all that this was made by a different director. In both style and pacing, Justin Lin was indistinguishable from JJ Abrams.

#4281622 - 07/24/16 08:40 PM Re: Star Trek Beyond [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Saw it yesterday. If say that in general it felt like a really good 2 part TNG episode. However, it turned into Attack of the Killer Tomatoes towards the end and almost ruined the movie for me. Maybe I missed it out maybe they just glossed over it, but I didn't hear a real reason for the transformation etc. Or why he reverted his appearance to almost normal.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4281631 - 07/24/16 09:02 PM Re: Star Trek Beyond [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
JCathcart Offline
JCathcart  Offline

Utah
Raw, that was my feeling too, but my wife seemed to get it. She said that he takes on the form of whatever lifeform he absorbs. Because he had been sucking the human's life force after capturing the E crew, he was beginning to revert to his human form.

Again, I'm not sure if we were supposed to figure that out, or if I missed it, but it sounds good to me!

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." -- Ephesians 6: 12-13 KJV
#4281638 - 07/24/16 09:30 PM Re: Star Trek Beyond [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Click to reveal..
OK, that works for me. He also vampire someone right before looking almost human again at the end.

#4281757 - 07/25/16 12:32 PM Re: Star Trek Beyond [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Comrade_Hedgehog Offline
Comrade_Hedgehog  Offline

The Sticks, England.
My thoughts:

Originally Posted By: Comrade_Hedgehog
I liked it.

I am really impressed with their research into the "Enterprise era" of Starfleet/Federation with the Romulan war, (I actually want to read the book series on that now) formation of the UNFP, Disbandment of the MACOs, formation of Starfleet, how you could see the USS Franklin's lineage descended from the NX-01. - I Loved that aspect, they really did get that bit right, but with Mr Pegg in charge of writing, I expected nothing less. smile

It actually blew me away how they got all those bits just #%&*$# so, I missed the whole how Krall goes nuts and becomes the villain.
Even a reprise of Sabotage, Balls out, #%&*$# A, man! #%&*$# A!!

Nit picking the details:
The UNFP "Federation" is a Government, Star fleet is the "Armed Forces" of that Government.

I think making Starfleet a non military organisation is a big mistake.
OK primary mission is to explore but priority 2 should be defend your established territories.
(I know it goes against Gene's vision, but hope for the best, plan for the worst.)

Look how strung out the Dominion War was.
If the Fed had a dedicated War Fleet and Marines instead of "Security" they'd have battered the Cardassians in half the time.

I know, I know.... Plot.

I was also impressed the crew wore slightly more adequate clothing for the situation.

So my rating 9/10 Its up there with "First contact" & "Wrath of Khan"

Please please please put this team back together for number 4

Its not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about.
But the one addressed:
"To Whom It May Concern"
#4281874 - 07/25/16 06:37 PM Re: Star Trek Beyond [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Come to think of it, Mars Attacks! used the "music kills the enemy" bit too. That and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Not good company for an otherwise good ST movie.
Really a bad call.

#4281878 - 07/25/16 06:41 PM Re: Star Trek Beyond [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Come to think of it, Mars Attacks! used the "music kills the enemy" bit too. That and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Not good company for an otherwise good ST movie.
Really a bad call.

Yeah, that was the only thing about the movie that really bugged me. It was cheesy. It's like the video game-like scene in the first JJ Trek where Scotty transported directly into one of the water pipes and Kirk had to get him out before he drowned.

#4283267 - 07/30/16 09:03 PM Re: Star Trek Beyond [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Saw it today. It was OK. I felt that there was too much spasmodic filming of action scenes. And the Kung-fu fighting went on way too long. One thing that really suspended my acceptance was how these space craft were able to take huge amounts of physical damage entering the atmosphere and ricocheting down several mountain strikes and a surface impact and still be partly functioning. And then one shakes itself out of debris, again ricochet off several mountain strikes and do a planetary exit. Yeah, they find a motorcycle in the old Franklin, but are we to believe that it's gas, oil, and electrical system are still working ? I could go on and on, but my summation was - way too much spasmodic action and way too little story development.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4283337 - 07/31/16 02:56 AM Re: Star Trek Beyond [Re: oldgrognard]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted By: oldgrognard
Saw it today. It was OK. I felt that there was too much spasmodic filming of action scenes. And the Kung-fu fighting went on way too long. One thing that really suspended my acceptance was how these space craft were able to take huge amounts of physical damage entering the atmosphere and ricocheting down several mountain strikes and a surface impact and still be partly functioning. And then one shakes itself out of debris, again ricochet off several mountain strikes and do a planetary exit. Yeah, they find a motorcycle in the old Franklin, but are we to believe that it's gas, oil, and electrical system are still working ? I could go on and on, but my summation was - way too much spasmodic action and way too little story development.

Agree precisely.

Throwing in the gratuitous homosexual embrace for Sulu for the shore leave sequence near the beginning was extremely unwelcome and off-putting (both morally, and in deviation from the original series, whatever Takai's off screen choices).

Less objectionable, but still not recommending the movie to any future viewing on my part, was the dig at military careers (soldiers want war) and the continuation (from Into the Darkness) of the inane Roddenberry mantra that Starfleet (the organization made up of armed starships crewed by uniformed personnel) is not a military force, and that military force is somehow not necessary to safe preservation civilization against everyone that wants to kill it.

Definitely questionable at this point whether I purchase it on Blu Ray (which would be a bit of a first for a Star Trek movie for me).

#4283339 - 07/31/16 03:00 AM Re: Star Trek Beyond [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Kudos to Takei at least for his objection to making Sulu gay. He resisted the massive social media pressure to just cave in say "yeah I think it's great!"

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 07/31/16 03:01 AM.

#4283342 - 07/31/16 03:11 AM Re: Star Trek Beyond [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Kudos to Takei at least for his objection to making Sulu gay. He resisted the massive social media pressure to just cave in say "yeah I think it's great!"

Definitely.

#4283436 - 07/31/16 02:25 PM Re: Star Trek Beyond [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

wave

I have to agree with the above comments + Early in the film, a feeling of Political overtones. Under-developed Story kinda hurt in the editing department. However, it was a good popcorn movie.

#4283454 - 07/31/16 03:26 PM Re: Star Trek Beyond [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
So far the box office performance of "Beyond" is significantly trailing that of the previous two JJ directed films. Why is that? It's not clear yet if interest in Star Trek is waning again with the mainstream audiences or if it's something else. The majority of the critics reviews have been favorable.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.