#4283156 - 07/30/16 01:00 PM Flying Tigers FX conversion for the FXEXE,  
VonBeerhofen Offline
3DZ Master/Campaign Designer
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands
Flying Tigers conversion for FXEXE,

When I read about Jelly's Korean conversion, I did some investigative research and found Ade's original idea. It was just tailor made for a map I made for a friend who came a long way tiling it but ran out of steam (sorry his name eludes me due to memory loss but I think it may have been Stratos, thx Google).

Anyway, I finished the map in 2007 or so but I hadn't found a use for it. A quick adaptation of Ade's original files, throw in the Japan/Korean map and the addon becomes a lot more mature. Ofcourse it's not all that simple to completely change it to a new world map but moving targets where they belong isn't too hard nowadays but will take some time.

This conversion was easier then I thought being the 2nd attempt after Pacific Tide III, so now its working great with all FXEXE features active and even the hires planes worked fine. Here's some shots of the fun:

Ade's Idea:

My Idea:

Actual gameshots:

I'll keep you updated on further progress.

VonBeerhofen

Last edited by VonBeerhofen; 07/31/16 01:08 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4283383 - 07/31/16 10:26 AM Re: Flying Tigers FX conversion for the FXEXE, [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
Your post prompted me to re-visit my 1.28c Korea set-up and make a theatre for 150 wink

I used the new theatre with the AVG Multiskins planeset, but setting China as the allied territory and Japan as enemy:

Mission selection

Map selection with the "NewMap" exe

Map selection with the "OldMap" exe

It looks as though some targets are well above the "EAW wall"

A Nate goes down:

The place names are crazy and the whole target set needs a good going over.

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4283399 - 07/31/16 11:48 AM Re: Flying Tigers FX conversion for the FXEXE, [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Switched to a SPAW planeset smile

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

#4283418 - 07/31/16 01:07 PM Re: Flying Tigers FX conversion for the FXEXE, [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

So what, Mr. Jelly. It's not about what's wrong with the addon but what I can do to fix it. Sofar I've given it a true EAW World which took two people three years to create, and I've set targets right multiple times before, using much larger target sets. That's what modding is all about. I know it will be slow going but I'm not in a hurry.

This addon was still for the old planeslots but ofcourse by incorporating the FXEXE it became all flyable. As such it needs some extensive work to incorporate all screens, hangars and cockpits.
One thing I noticed was the use of B29's and it just so happens I found the right cockpit for that plane, which also took me 6 months, so I've incorporated it into the addon.

Lord knows what else I may find amongst the rubble of my 10+ years old stuff, smile

Von Beerhofen

#4283423 - 07/31/16 01:37 PM Re: Flying Tigers FX conversion for the FXEXE, [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Quote:
When I read about Jelly's Korean conversion

No problems VBH, but that line reminded me that I had not made a Korean theatre for 150.
I have now done that by converting the one I made ages ago for 1.28c.

So now there are two 150 theatres appropriate for the Flying Tigers planeset, the one based on Burma, and this new one based on Korea. I will continue working on my Korea version smile

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4283446 - 07/31/16 03:06 PM Re: Flying Tigers FX conversion for the FXEXE, [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Ah yes, Burma. Not much of a world either eh? Using most of Moggy's Dunkirk files set in the European theatre won't particularly give it the right atmos. Did I already mention that I did the preliminary work for the map of Burma and all of Shreck's other maps?
I'm sure I still have it lying around somewhere. Looks like both of us have a lot of work to do.

Found it smile

VBH

Last edited by VonBeerhofen; 07/31/16 03:10 PM.
#4283458 - 07/31/16 03:38 PM Re: Flying Tigers FX conversion for the FXEXE, [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

The Burma tile-map I used is one which Pobs was working on before he was asked to do TWF. At that time I was working with him developing the tile-map maker, so a Burma tilemap was produced.
There are now some targets and bases on it relating to the history of the "Flying Tigers" AVG Pursuit Squadrons, and using the tile-map maker I was able to fix a few unfinished parts.

Quite a few people have downloaded it, and we have been flying it online at GameRanger.

wink

Last edited by MrJelly; 07/31/16 03:52 PM. Reason: Screeshots added

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4283471 - 07/31/16 04:23 PM Re: Flying Tigers FX conversion for the FXEXE, [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Tileset maker eh, interesting. Glad I don't need it though. Hope you have as much fun with your theatre builds as I have, don't seem to be many around anymore with the knowledge to help you.

BTW Did you notice that the creators of this map deliberately distorted it, look for the sharp line running from left to right. I guess it'll just have to do, something like that is'nt easily repairable. Hey, my map has got the exact same line there too, and there's another one further up North, just below the Himalaya's. Map sacrilege, I wonder why people would do that.

VBH

Last edited by VonBeerhofen; 07/31/16 05:05 PM.
#4283538 - 07/31/16 08:34 PM Re: Flying Tigers FX conversion for the FXEXE, [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

First inspection mission flying Mig 15 from Okinawa, it's cockpit remarkingly simmilar to a SpitIX. The plan was to inspect the tileset as I had no idea what it would look like with my map in. The tiles on my map were using the default set when created so I needed see if things were OK. After selecting a target close to my Japan I tried to fly over there as my squad was engaged in heavy battle with P47's. 3 or 4 enemies decided to follow me and caught up just as I approached the Japanese mainland. I got hit several times and lost all controls except aillerons but managed to fly on using throttle control keeping the plane level and on target.
Just as I was thinking I would just make it over land to bail out and inspect the terrain, I got one in the cranium and the mission instantly stopped. That could only mean one thing, the entire squadron was dead somewhere in the Sea of Japan, but at least I died with a last glimpse on my beloved fatherland which looked OK from a distance, at least the coastline was intact, Banzai!

VBH

#4283778 - 08/01/16 02:42 PM Re: Flying Tigers FX conversion for the FXEXE, [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

2nd inspection mission,

Flew a Meteor this time and started out even further out from the mainland. Once again the enemy was on my tail but I managed to shake em off. Both my wingman and I arrived over Japan and we were delighted to see that the map is working perfect that I forgot all about engine management and blew it to bits just as I arrived over the ricefields, which had my particular interest.

The pilot map also showed that all targets are within the wall boundaries, which makes no real difference to me as they all have to be moved anynway to make them fit my map. Rivers, ricefields, villages, roads, it was all there and working great, just as I'd hoped. Some problems were encountered with some planes but I particularly liked the fact that these planes didn't bring my computer to it's knees. They're all models from the early modelers, Capt. Kurt and others, giving me very high FPS with Extra Squads = 2.

I was thinking of moving the entire map 4 pixels down and 5 to the right, but Ade's targets don't really require that. It would however provide some extra headroom in the NorthWest (Mig Alley) so I'll probably do it anyway.

VBH

#4283971 - 08/02/16 07:09 AM Re: Flying Tigers FX conversion for the FXEXE, [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

In the tilemap I have for Korea (downloaded from Sandbagger's) there are many instances like these:

frown

Last edited by MrJelly; 08/02/16 07:36 AM.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4284014 - 08/02/16 12:46 PM Re: Flying Tigers FX conversion for the FXEXE, [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

I'm not aware of any other maps for Korea Mr. Jelly, can you plz. give me a download location so I can examine it?
The only map in existence that I'm aware of is the one Shreck requested me to build for him, based on the map he send me. I think he wanted to mimic the Strike Fighters map, which I also have, not realising that the EAW world is much larger.

For some reason he wanted the peninsula to occupy the entire EAW world and have it 90 degrees rotated. It's layout was wrong and so were it's dimensions. I just did as he requested but this map was never released. I think Stratos realised the mistake and set out to correct it, and what he made was done manually using the TM editor from Microprose. I inspected the work myself and added all the details plus the Korean peninsula.

Just like PTIII ,Italy and Suez my maps are flawless, so I don't realy understand why you're showing your weird stuff in my thread, are you trying to discredit my work again? It has nothing to do with my creation and looks more like what your 'tilesetmaker' creates, judging by the pictures of the Burma missions you've shown. If you havn't got some positive ideas for me to add to this work I suggest you work on my Burma map.

Shreck's map

My elevation map for Shreck

VonBeerhofen

Last edited by VonBeerhofen; 08/02/16 01:04 PM.
#4284039 - 08/02/16 02:40 PM Re: Flying Tigers FX conversion for the FXEXE, [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

I am not trying to discredit your work smile
We are doing some things in parallel, you for the FXExe and me for UAW150.

A few weeks ago, as a result of a post by "Shadow9216" re- the historical AVG Pursuit Squadrons, I checked the history and started working on a Burma based theatre using Pobs tilemap.
In the title of this thread I originally thought that you were referring to the "Flying Tigers" theatre, which Ade released donkeys years ago, without a tilemap. Hence some of my posts re- the Flying Tigers and Burma.

It is now clear that you were referring to Ade's Korea theatre, using his nickname smile

Some time ago I downloaded Korea from Sandbagger's

http://www.sandbagger.uk.com/korea.html

I converted some files to run in 1.28c, then in 1.29 and now in UAW50.
Both 1.29 and 150 use Will Gee's TM2 system with four bytes per tile, and I have a converter that creates the "eaw32.tm" file from the "eaw.tm" file. The tilemap editor I ran read the "eaw32.tm" file that I made from the "eaw.tm" I got in the download.
So the problems I showed were in the original "eaw.tm" file. If you have the download from Sandbagger's then you already have it. Otherwise I can email it to you.
Currently I am fixing those errors with the tilemap editor.

wink

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4284055 - 08/02/16 03:45 PM Re: Flying Tigers FX conversion for the FXEXE, [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

I'm working from that download and in there is only a map of Europe, just as in the Burma download without a doubt.
Yep, just had a look and I was right. What are you trying to proof Mr. Jelly?

VBH

Last edited by VonBeerhofen; 08/02/16 03:47 PM.
#4284056 - 08/02/16 03:48 PM Re: Flying Tigers FX conversion for the FXEXE, [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

South Korea:

D*mn monsoon rains are hampering my missions, fortunately no one crashed during take off. I hope it won't be worse when we get back, fortunately the weather is improving. Technicians fixed my Meteor and she's better now but it's still a pretty crappy model in terms of rendering. Ah well, you have to take it as it comes, perhaps my next plane will be better. Never flew one of these but Tosh (R.I.P) told me all about them, hope that'll be of use during battle. Damn fine officer he was for sure.

The old airfields need some more work too, water must be pushing the tile slabs out of place or something, lots of work for the groundcrew I suppose. Did some general inspection of the area, looking for landmarks. Plenty of those really but they're all looking like ricefields or forrests. Isn't easy to find my way back to base, once I can find the river, we'll be fine.

First mission strike went reasonably well, destroyed an airbase and sank a few ships. Lost 5 pilots over the Sea of Japan and sustained some minor damage myself. At least we got 5 of them too.

VBH

#4284063 - 08/02/16 04:25 PM Re: Flying Tigers FX conversion for the FXEXE, [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: VonBeerhofen
I'm working from that download and in there is only a map of Europe, just as in the Burma download without a doubt.
Yep, just had a look and I was right. What are you trying to proof Mr. Jelly?

VBH

So to I check my facts I re-downloaded the scenario zips from Sandbagger's:

I ran the batch file and extracted the folder from the zipfile it created:

There is an "eaw.tm" file, an "eaw16.hm" file a "Europe1.pic" and even a spare "eaw.exe".

I will use the first three in 1.28c.
I will convert the "eaw.tm" to "eaw32.tm" and make a BMP file from it in the target editor.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4284069 - 08/02/16 04:55 PM Re: Flying Tigers FX conversion for the FXEXE, [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

We're not interested Mr. Jelly, people can look for themselves what's in those downloads.

VBH

#4284070 - 08/02/16 04:55 PM Re: Flying Tigers FX conversion for the FXEXE, [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

And the test proves that I was wrong. The tilemap is the default ETO one.
However, in my 1.28c set-up I have a Korean theatre with a "eaw.tm" file dated 23rd March 2010, and if I use it in the target editor I get this:

I have no idea where this "eaw.tm" file came from, but that is the one I converted and used in 150.
The "Europe1.pic" I use is different too. It is also dated 23rd March 2010:

If you want these files let me know and I will get them to you.

wink

Last edited by MrJelly; 08/02/16 05:05 PM.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4284082 - 08/02/16 05:24 PM Re: Flying Tigers FX conversion for the FXEXE, [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Thx but no thx, not interested in maps which look like the ones you've portrayed, and neither is the community, me thinks

VBH

#4284087 - 08/02/16 05:47 PM Re: Flying Tigers FX conversion for the FXEXE, [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

As I said I do not know where they came from, but the tilemap has now been fixed, and I do not bother with the "Europe1.pic" anyway. I thought you might want to check out the "eaw.tm" file it is all based on to see if you can figure out who made it wink

It already works in 150 anyway smile
Burma:

Korea- Groundstarted intercept in a Mig that needs a cockpit badly smile

I do not particularly want to play a jet sim, but it is worth developing the Korea theatre for use with other planesets. Too much work needs to be done on Ade's aircraft, and there is a heap of fill-ins to make a 30 plane set (which fortunately 150 does not need). I cannot see anyone really wanting to do it frown

Last edited by MrJelly; 08/02/16 06:29 PM.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.