Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4281891 - 07/25/16 06:58 PM The quick and dirty next add-on pack  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
I was thinking what new pack could be interesting, does not need that much labor/effort, could be popular for buyers and still keep the attention to WoFF. New fronts like the alp maps or eastern front are very labour intensive to make or do not have any interest for most players.
So what pack, could be affordable for OBD to create, without making loss, as you all know the market is small.

Based on this pictures
and the book from Walter Pieters I counted:
Nieuport 10C1, 11 bebe, 16 & 23
Sopw 1.5 strutter, camel & Pup
Spad 7 & 13
Be2c
Re8
So we have nearly all of the Belgian planes.

Now we could create an extra 2seater like the Breguet 14 or SpadXI which could also be very welcome for France, only I think it would be a lot of labor.

This was my idea for the new "lean en mean" pack direction, based on what is already in this game, maybe others do have an better idea. As we all know OBD is going nonWW1, so big developments like Polish war or something similar, is in my point of view rather useless.

Last edited by dutch; 07/25/16 07:01 PM.
#4281906 - 07/25/16 07:19 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Nice package - but why call it "dirty"?

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4281908 - 07/25/16 07:23 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
online MMP is whats needed. That would be so cool, and then with mission editers etc...

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4281912 - 07/25/16 07:43 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
(1) For MMP to happen, it means OBD must break a solemn promise they made to everybody when they published WOFF, and that is for the FM's to be able to be modified by users. The only way a MMP works is if you lock down the FM so nobody cheats and they all fly the same FM.

(2) If you want a MMP, you have "XXX" which has a poor AI compared to WOFF since it was designed from the start as a MMP (which is why I do not fly "XXX"). WOFF is designed for single person use like I use it and would to keep it exactly as OBD designed since I do not want to fly against others, but the AI.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
#4281914 - 07/25/16 07:59 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: Olham]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Originally Posted By: Olham
Nice package - but why call it "dirty"?

It is a method we use here in the semi conductor industry, it means speed or low effort, when doing a project or trouble shooting and because of the speed and ofcorse no time, we have to act dirty in copy/paste from another projects or in case of an instruction, technical drawimgs, we just make some simple sketches or photo's and we correct this later to something bautiful and official.
I'm not saying the add-on pack should be dirty, but why putting a lot of effort in a new pack while a Belgium pack could be simple to make, when all the important planes are already in the game.

Last edited by dutch; 07/26/16 02:55 PM.
#4281984 - 07/26/16 01:30 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
I think the next add-on that may be easy to implement with minimum effort would be a "captured plane set" add-on. To be able to fly a captured plane, your rank would have to be high, you would have to shoot the plane yourself (and have it confirmed biggrin ). No spare parts, so if the damage is too great you go back to your default mount until you capture another one. There could even be a greater chance of being hit by friendly ground fire. There should be no effort in building new models since all the planes are already in the sim. All it would need is a new skin and a lot of programming to make it work.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4281997 - 07/26/16 04:09 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
There are a lot of key planes for Belgian use, despite gaping holes for planes that aren't in the sim and used by the AMB, but perhaps the biggest labor would be getting the squadrons together and implementing the information (pilots, airfields, aces, missions, dates, timelines, medals, airplane model transitions, squadron complements, yadda) into the campaign. Not that it couldn't be done, but it'd be more than just putting out a few Belgian skins. Although Walter's book certainly would be the one-and-only book needed for, well, everything to facilitate a Belgian add-on, and I have all the artwork for the skins.

But we've been making noise for the Belgians for literally years now. OBD knows. yep

As far as lack of interest in other fronts, I've seen marked interest expressed here for the Italian front. I dare say it would create a drool tsunami with a lot of us. Doesn't seem in the cards, but the interest is there.

PS. Please, God, no MMP. That will ruin the sim with demands for "fair" and "evenly matched" planes and detour too much dev time away from SP, WOFF's bread and butter. OFF Phase 1 had multiplayer and it was a bit wonky. Thankfully OBD 86d it.

#4282010 - 07/26/16 06:32 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: JFM]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: JFM
...we've been making noise for the Belgians for literally years now. OBD knows. yep

I bet they know - and have it on their list.
I bet Shredward has Walter Pieters' book.
I bet, that one day...

I've seen marked interest expressed here for the Italian front.
I dare say it would create a drool tsunami with a lot of us.

Oh, that would be phantastic! But that is more than 7 dreams away, I guess...

#4282107 - 07/26/16 02:51 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Believe me the Italian front, I prefer to say the Alp map to exclude the low regions, would for me number one, but this means lots of efforts, two big air forces, with some From France,UK and Germany, a complete new map, airstrips on different surroundings, soldiers hidden in the caves, there is nothing flat.
As an Alsace flyer, I would buy the alp map, love the Big mountans, but the market is very limited and I think FOR OBD it would be waste, because a limit buyers will actually get this pack.

Last edited by dutch; 07/26/16 02:52 PM.
#4282116 - 07/26/16 03:09 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Maybe right, Dutch - but they'd be the first ones to come up with WW1 air combat over the Adriatic Sea!
Imagine to have those elegant Austrian and Italian seaplanes...!

But my personal guess for a next "Add-On" would be: French two-seater(s)...

#4282121 - 07/26/16 03:30 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Did somebody mention Belgians?

Have I already said that it would be super cool to have them included in WOFF too? Many of the planes they used are already in the sim, so... smile

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4282126 - 07/26/16 03:49 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
Originally Posted By: dutch
Believe me the Italian front, I prefer to say the Alp map to exclude the low regions, would for me number one, but this means lots of efforts, two big air forces, with some From France,UK and Germany, a complete new map, airstrips on different surroundings, soldiers hidden in the caves, there is nothing flat.
As an Alsace flyer, I would buy the alp map, love the Big mountans, but the market is very limited and I think FOR OBD it would be waste, because a limit buyers will actually get this pack.

I understand and agree, but you are changing the subject. The subject was interest in other fronts, for which there is plenty.

#4282139 - 07/26/16 04:18 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: JFM]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Originally Posted By: dutch

I understand and agree, but you are changing the subject. The subject was interest in other fronts, for which there is plenty.

nope the subject is to make an Quick and dirty add-on pack, while OBD is going to nonWW1, I think a labor intensive pack would never being considdered to be released by OBD. But it will maybe changed by bringing in ideas, that will get max results at the lowest effort for OBD, things that even OBD never thought of. Yep, why not picking the avalible low hanging cherries ?

I'm also not talking about improvements in the game like better and offencieve AI gunners for 2seaters, because we have already the whish list for Woff topic. Pure talking about an intresting add-on pack.

I hope I'm now more clear to this.

#4282173 - 07/26/16 05:56 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
The biggest bang for your buck would be a "Belgian" add-on with the Hanriot, Farman Shorthorn, Breguet 14, and maybe Caudron. This would allow for the major French 2 seaters throughout the war while permitting full Belgian career options. OBD could charge a solid price for this one. It would be nice if the Farman could become the Entente training aircraft.

And to remove all the "aircraft not available" notes, a very welcome later add-on could add the Armstrong-Whitworth FK8, Martinsyde Elephant, and Sopwith Dolphin.

#4282194 - 07/26/16 07:21 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
+1

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4282200 - 07/26/16 07:30 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Redwolf2 Offline
Redwolf2  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
+2

Yes, makes most sense to fills holes already there (and I don't suspect there will be more than 1 (maybe 2 (slightest of chances)) add-ons left since they will be mostly focusing on new endeavor.

Raine really hit it I think. attack ...and yes, Sopwith Dolphin...please??!?!?!??!!?!?!?

#4282236 - 07/26/16 09:27 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Eh. I'll be the wet blanket here and say the Western Front needs to be fully fleshed out before turning to other fronts.
No offense to anyone here but I have no interest in Italy or Russia and, as for the Belgiums, just how they would add to the Western Front. I don't have time enough to fly all my British and German careers now. Still like to have a late war American career (French/American two-seaters) sometime.

#4282238 - 07/26/16 09:49 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Well I guess let's see what WOFF UE adds first, since that's what they are evidently working on. I'm sure whatever they do, it will be a nice addition to the sim. That said, I think adding whole fronts is expensive time wise. IMHO, it's more likely they will continue to flesh out the western front if anything.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4282295 - 07/27/16 05:29 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Poor dreamers...
Quote of Winding Man from other tread:
"We are working on a UE version of WOFF and the intention is to also spend time polishing the things as opposed to writing more code/changing code.
There are but basically only 3 of us left.
WM"

So, I would say, we can expect highly polished version of WOFF without any time/resource consuming additions as above mentioned.

#4282309 - 07/27/16 09:02 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Dreamers indeed! Don't be a buzzkill sir.
I will certainly take a "highly polished" version of what we have now...with a couple of new aircraft thrown in.

#4282337 - 07/27/16 12:10 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
I will certainly take a "highly polished" version of what we have now...with a couple of new aircraft thrown in.

+1

#4282343 - 07/27/16 12:28 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
Eh. I'll be the wet blanket here and say the Western Front needs to be fully fleshed out before turning to other fronts.
No offense to anyone here but I have no interest in Italy or Russia and, as for the Belgiums, just how they would add to the Western Front. I don't have time enough to fly all my British and German careers now. Still like to have a late war American career (French/American two-seaters) sometime.

Well, the Western front won't be fully fleshed out until the Belgian air force is included! It may not have been a very big air force, but they had a role to play and produced some fine aces too, the most famous of them the top balloon buster ace of the war, Willy Coppens. And I'm sure many people would enjoy flying the Hanriot scout that saw extensive use in the Belgian air force. It was a fine fighter by all accounts.

Unfortunately it's starting to sound like we can no longer expect anything big to get added to WOFF. So I don't expect them to add the Belgians to the sim either, and much less completely new theatres of war.

If we're lucky, we can probably get a couple of new planes added before WOFF development ceases altogether. The devs have their non-WW1 sim project to work on, after all!

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

#4282561 - 07/28/16 06:06 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
No offence, guys, but have you ever thought about to DIY? In form of mod or another addon, even the next WOA (Wings Over Alps :-) )?
Why not to make a new map? New aircraft? We have the tools and I think we would find also skilled artists amongst us.(?)
Then we can ask for help the devs to implement it in WOFF.
I know, the easiest way is to wait for others to do it and pay 50 bucks or so w/o any work and time spent.
Think about it, pls.

#4282610 - 07/28/16 12:17 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Hell JJJ65, I have no modding skills at all, but if a team of modders gets together and creates an entire second front, including maps, squadrons, skins, historical aces, etc, etc - by all means create a Donate button where I can send cash.

#4282623 - 07/28/16 12:41 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Gents, I have been wanting to see the Aéronautique Militaire Belge added to this wonderful sim since the OFF days. I and others here have painted a fair number of skins for this contingent, and I even went so far as to create an entire squadron set for the Camels of 9ème Escadrille de Chasse that could be swapped in place of an RFC squadron operating from one of the aerodromes that 9ème flew from. At the time there was little interest in the skins or the swap. As to creating an entire campaign addition that would bring the WWI Belgian Air Force to life in WOFF, well, it would be a very large task. Of course not nearly as large as creating the Italian or Middle Eastern Fronts, both of which I have made small attempts at over the years as well. But again, not much interest in either of these in the past from the general OFF/WOFF community. Someday maybe - someday.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4282701 - 07/28/16 03:14 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Lou, I for one would love to see the Italian front. Can you imagine a dog fight over the Alps, it would be amazing.

#4282708 - 07/28/16 03:25 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Johannesburg, South Africa
Brussels is in Belgium and I don't have good memories of the country. So as far as I am concerned they can be ignored.

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
#4282719 - 07/28/16 03:47 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: Banjoman]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Originally Posted By: Banjoman
Lou, I for one would love to see the Italian front. Can you imagine a dog fight over the Alps, it would be amazing.

Hell yes, it would! The air war between Italy and Austria-Hungary is definitely one of the forgotten campaigns of WW1. Both sides used some very interesting plane types - for example the Austrian Albatrosses were actually better than the German ones - and the fighting in the air was just as fierce and complex as on the Western front, though the air forces were smaller.

It's so easy to think the Great War in the air was just about Britain vs. Germany. In a way, WOFF reinforces this misconception by labeling the whole Entente side of the lines as "British" (though there's probably a CFS3 engine-related explanation for this). But of course real life wasn't quite that simple. For example, the British didn't even have the biggest air force of the Entente powers - the French did.

However, the addition of a whole new theatre of war to WOFF would be a huge undertaking for the devs. So I don't believe it will ever happen, especially as most people don't seem to show interest in anything but the Western front. That's just a fact of life we'll have to accept in this most niche of niche markets!

Compared to a totally new front (or fronts!), the addition of the Belgians would be a simple task. But of course still a lot of work, and maybe not worth it, because people simply don't show enough interest.

#4282730 - 07/28/16 04:15 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: Hasse]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Originally Posted By: Hasse
Originally Posted By: Banjoman

However, the addition of a whole new theatre of war to WOFF would be a huge undertaking for the devs. So I don't believe it will ever happen, especially as most people don't seem to show interest in anything but the Western front. That's just a fact of life we'll have to accept in this most niche of niche markets!

Compared to a totally new front (or fronts!), the addition of the Belgians would be a simple task. But of course still a lot of work, and maybe not worth it, because people simply don't show enough interest.

Yep and thats why I want to do this Brainstorm sessie in how to get a simple easy and low labor needed add on pack. New fronts that needs lot of effort I do not think that will be considerd by the devs.

About the extra planes, this can also be only AI planes, that do have a simple FM, DM and no need of an cockpit. So we can still hunt the Br14, Spad11 or MF40.

#4282746 - 07/28/16 05:08 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
I would suggest that to have a credible Belgian Air Service, one needs to build at least two new a/c. I can frankly tell you that OBD has no plans to build either one, so someone else needs to step up and build them. Some in the community have in the past tried to model new aircraft, and soon discovered how hard, tedious, and unbelievably time consuming it is. So unless someone really does step up, a very skilled modelmaker, I don't see it happening
Cheers
shredward

We will remember them.
#4282750 - 07/28/16 05:22 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Honestly, I am not 2D or 3D artist, but I can help with FM and DM files making and testing.

#4282838 - 07/28/16 08:51 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: Panama Red]  
markl Offline
markl  Offline

Originally Posted By: Panama Red
(1) For MMP to happen, it means OBD must break a solemn promise they made to everybody when they published WOFF, and that is for the FM's to be able to be modified by users. The only way a MMP works is if you lock down the FM so nobody cheats and they all fly the same FM.

(2) If you want a MMP, you have "XXX" which has a poor AI compared to WOFF since it was designed from the start as a MMP (which is why I do not fly "XXX"). WOFF is designed for single person use like I use it and would to keep it exactly as OBD designed since I do not want to fly against others, but the AI.

I agree this is the heart of WOFF, one of the last great games that you can actually play against the AI. A rarity these days. Keep it the way it is.

Cheers

MarkL
#4282851 - 07/28/16 09:27 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Sounds like the gauntlet has been thrown!
Luckily I can easily chicken out as I have zero skill or knowledge in that area.

#4282855 - 07/28/16 09:42 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
I guess that means there won't be any new airplanes in WOFF, planes like the Breguet 14 and the Salmson 2 A2. sigh

#4282859 - 07/28/16 10:03 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
That's not what he said...or so I understood.
Whatever planes needed to make the Beligians viable (HD1 and ?) have norhing going in future plans.
I did not take that statement as ruling out other aircraft.

#4282892 - 07/29/16 01:55 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
You're right, I guess I was just being a Debbie Downer. biggrin

#4282894 - 07/29/16 02:05 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Why not ask OBD what would it take ($$$) to bring the Belgians to WOFF? They are the best for the job, all they need is an incentive. I'm sure they would be happy to do it if they knew the funds were there for them. Once they can give an estimate it would be a matter of setting up a kickstarter and get the ball rolling. Anything they could get from the sales beyond the original amount would be their profit and we would get what we want. Win-win. I've seen plenty of forum members happy to part with their hard earned money for quality product. And who knows? If the business model works, maybe the next would be the Italian theatre? One can only dream.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4282900 - 07/29/16 02:42 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
My suggestion for a "Belgian" pack a couple of pages back was a misnomer. The idea was to have an add-on that would benefit the most countries. The Farman Shorthorn served the Belgians, French, and British. The Breguet served the Belgians, French, and Americans. A Caudron would be a wonderful addition as it was used by the French, Belgians, British, and Americans.

Those three would meet the need for French two-seaters throughout the war, offer a more interesting British and French training scenario (the Shorthorn), create a richer USAS career, and allow for a good representation of the Belgian service. A Hanriot would be lovely, but a luxury.

#4284380 - 08/03/16 05:02 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: Raine]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Originally Posted By: Raine

And to remove all the "aircraft not available" notes, .

I overlook that but indeed if lancing the UE pack, OBD should fill in the not availible plane set, with alternative already in the game, like Pat Wilson did in his PW-CG or just introduce that Not included campaign planes as a new addon pack.

#4284441 - 08/03/16 07:49 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Speaking completely out of my arse, I don't think there's such a thing as a "quick and dirty" expansion at this point. Adding whole fronts or even "just" the Belgians to the war is, I should guess, no easy task. Airfields that go in and out of use, relevant squadrons, changing locations, Aces and of course, planes...which comes with it's own set of demands. Flight models, damage models (including damaged cockpits), historically researched squadron & ace skins...not to mention the time consuming task of creating the 3d models for the aircraft themselves.

As has been noted on occasion, some people have offered their 3D modeling skills to make new planes and quickly give up when they realize what a time consuming and difficult process it is. That OBD has created over 80 craft for us to fly (some are variants) is an incredible feat that as far as I know is unmatched by any other WWI sim ever produced.

Winder mentioned that they were basically down to 3 guys. I'm amazed WOFF 3 got produced and I'm even more thankful they have decided to work on a WOFF UE which I guess is more about some code clean up, etc. Time will tell. I'm not suggesting that there can't or won't be plane packs or add-ons. I just don't think much falls into the realm of easy, low hanging fruit, if you will. To the scale of their development team - pretty much anything will require a lot of hours and effort...and ultimately that ties directly to the question the dev team must ask themselves each time. "For the amount of man-hours we have to put into it, are we going to get a return that keeps the lights on, feeds the family and maybe even gets us ahead a little?"

#4284496 - 08/03/16 10:00 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

I concur Hellshade. And as has been mentioned already, it is likely that any such add-ons will need to be developed by the modding community from this point on. But then again, the OBD wizards have surprised us before.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.

#4284542 - 08/04/16 01:31 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
What if OBD is gung-ho to work on the non-WW1 sim? I say let 'em go do it.

#4284580 - 08/04/16 07:25 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: JFM]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

What if OBD is gung-ho to work on the non-WW1 sim? I say let 'em go do it.

Also known as the non-1920's racing sim. biggrin

I won't try to deny that I was disappointed by the news regarding the Belgians. It would have been awesome to see them in WOFF, but that is not meant to be, and I'll just have to accept it. For Belgian careers, I still have ROF with Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator. While not quite on the same level as WOFF's campaign system, it's still a great experience and does a good job at modelling the Great War in the air.

Hopefully, OBD's next sim will be just as enjoyable as WOFF. smile

#4284594 - 08/04/16 09:38 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: JJJ65]  
Sandbagger Offline
Hotshot
Sandbagger  Offline
Hotshot

Coningsby, Lincs, UK
Hi all,
I believe Winder was referring to the 'core' OBD team of just three, who carry out the bulk of the work for WOFF, such as the complex coding, models, terrain, effects, weather, technical backup and retail etc. There other team members as can be seen in the WOFF credits, covering such as the aircraft skins, historical research and of course Matt Milne, who are standing by in the wings (no pun intended) and are ready to be called in when required.
However, as Winder stated, the day to day business of WOFF is in the hands of just the 'core' OBD team.

[Linked Image]

Alienware Aurora R5
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i7-6700K 4.2Ghz
Two GTX 1080 Foundations in SLI (8 Gig each)
32 Gig DDR4 2133Mhz
1TB SSD boot drive - 1TB SATA storage drive
5.1 Surround Sound
34" Dell Ultra Sharp U3415W (3440x 2440)
CH Pro-Pedals, Stick and Throttle
TrackIR-5 Pro
#4284601 - 08/04/16 10:54 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Gents, I have been wanting to see the Aéronautique Militaire Belge added to this wonderful sim since the OFF days. I and others here have painted a fair number of skins for this contingent, and I even went so far as to create an entire squadron set for the Camels of 9ème Escadrille de Chasse that could be swapped in place of an RFC squadron operating from one of the aerodromes that 9ème flew from. At the time there was little interest in the skins or the swap. As to creating an entire campaign addition that would bring the WWI Belgian Air Force to life in WOFF, well, it would be a very large task. Of course not nearly as large as creating the Italian or Middle Eastern Fronts, both of which I have made small attempts at over the years as well. But again, not much interest in either of these in the past from the general OFF/WOFF community. Someday maybe - someday.

Lou, do you have still all materials (skins, historical data, etc) of 9ème Escadrille de Chasse? If so, I would try to implement it to WOFF.
Although, I will need some additional help of community:
- list of Belgian names (first and second)
- list of Belgian born places
- list of aces + their data (optional)
- history data of 9ème Escadrille de Chasse (airports and date of operation, aircraft operated, etc.)
- pilot photos
- medals
- anything I forgot to mention

Guys, if you like to see Belgians in WOFF and are able to collect (compile) above requsted data, you are welcome.

#4284606 - 08/04/16 11:22 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/belgium/index.php

There weren't too many. In WOFF they are already included in the french Aces list.

#4284615 - 08/04/16 12:19 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
JJJ65, all that information is in Walter Pieter's The Belgian Air Service in the First World War.

https://www.amazon.com/Belgian-Air-Service-First-World/dp/1935881019

More than merely covering "aces," it includes hundreds of pilot bios. It also includes a day-by-day account of what sorties were flown by what squadron--even lists the flight crews involved. I don't know about coding and all that, but if allowable one could make a campaign that features the exact missions flown on the exact days they were flown by the exact pilots who flew them, for the entire war. Pilot photos, airfield photos, airplane photos, color airplane profiles.

Hasse, OBD's next sim should be enjoyable! Unless it actually is a racing sim, in which case I'll ignore it.

#4284620 - 08/04/16 12:26 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

The definitive book to have on the subject. I've referred to my copy many, many times.

[Linked Image]

#4284772 - 08/04/16 06:00 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
That is nice, but is anyone willing to process all information and make a txt files in WOFF readable format? I can provide you with file templates. Unfortunately, my real life duties does not allow me to study all suggested documents.
WOFF campaigns are not scripted, but generated, so we can not simulate exact campaign day by day. However, with help of Mission editor we can customize daily generated missions in accordance with historical data.
I would like to create just one Belgian squadron as a starter, similar to Escadrille Lafayette project. If that works, we can add another squadrons later.
What we need are volunteers.

#4285815 - 08/08/16 06:40 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
OK guys, it is evident that Belgian units are out of interest. Let's focus on another demanded subjects.

#4285820 - 08/08/16 06:51 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: JJJ65]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: JJJ65
OK guys, it is evident that Belgian units are out of interest. Let's focus on another demanded subjects.

Oldhat was working on a mod that changed the damage model so that the planes would explode (lose all 4 wings) far less often and, I believe, bump up the smoke trails, etc a bit. That would be cool to see in action.

#4285821 - 08/08/16 06:54 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: Hellshade]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Hellshade
Speaking completely out of my arse, I don't think there's such a thing as a "quick and dirty" expansion at this point. Adding whole fronts or even "just" the Belgians to the war is, I should guess, no easy task. Airfields that go in and out of use, relevant squadrons, changing locations, Aces and of course, planes...which comes with it's own set of demands. Flight models, damage models (including damaged cockpits), historically researched squadron & ace skins...not to mention the time consuming task of creating the 3d models for the aircraft themselves.

As has been noted on occasion, some people have offered their 3D modeling skills to make new planes and quickly give up when they realize what a time consuming and difficult process it is. That OBD has created over 80 craft for us to fly (some are variants) is an incredible feat that as far as I know is unmatched by any other WWI sim ever produced.

Winder mentioned that they were basically down to 3 guys. I'm amazed WOFF 3 got produced and I'm even more thankful they have decided to work on a WOFF UE which I guess is more about some code clean up, etc. Time will tell. I'm not suggesting that there can't or won't be plane packs or add-ons. I just don't think much falls into the realm of easy, low hanging fruit, if you will. To the scale of their development team - pretty much anything will require a lot of hours and effort...and ultimately that ties directly to the question the dev team must ask themselves each time. "For the amount of man-hours we have to put into it, are we going to get a return that keeps the lights on, feeds the family and maybe even gets us ahead a little?"

Hellshade, you have hit the proverbial nail on the head and put all of the issues into a nutshell quite effectively. I couldn't have encapsulated the issue as well as you just did.!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4285996 - 08/09/16 10:30 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: Hellshade]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.

Oldhat was working on a mod that changed the damage model so that the planes would explode (lose all 4 wings) far less often... That would be cool to see in action.

I have some idea how to do it, just let me test it.

#4286015 - 08/09/16 12:32 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: JJJ65]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL

Did it ever dawn on you that there is plenty of interest but everyone else has real life duties, too, like you, and don't have the time to do the work for you?

#4286017 - 08/09/16 12:42 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: JFM]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida

Did it ever dawn on you that there is plenty of interest but everyone else has real life duties, too, like you, and don't have the time to do the work for you?

I don't think JJJ ment to say that they weren't wanted. Just that for whatever reason, the resources aren't there at this time to make it happen so he would like to look at other mods that are within reach. I don't think any one modder has all the skills necessary to add the Belgians all by themselves. It would require a team, each contributing what they can.

JJJ can correct me if I'm wrong on that, but I believe English may not be his native language so some things don't always come across very well. He does have a genuine interest in modding WOFF though, so that's why he's looking for other projects.

#4286025 - 08/09/16 01:18 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: Hellshade]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.

I don't think JJJ ment to say that they weren't wanted. Just that for whatever reason, the resources aren't there at this time to make it happen so he would like to look at other mods that are within reach. I don't think any one modder has all the skills necessary to add the Belgians all by themselves. It would require a team, each contributing what they can.

JJJ can correct me if I'm wrong on that, but I believe English may not be his native language so some things don't always come across very well. He does have a genuine interest in modding WOFF though, so that's why he's looking for other projects.

Thx, Hellshade. That is EXACTLY what I wanted to say. Yes, I like modding WOFF almost the same as flying it. However, without help of other community members it is not possible to succesfully create an above mentioned mod.
P.S.: I apologize, guys, my English is sometimes (always?) sloppy

Last edited by JJJ65; 08/09/16 01:20 PM.
#4286233 - 08/10/16 06:05 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: Hellshade]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.

Oldhat was working on a mod that changed the damage model so that the planes would explode (lose all 4 wings) far less often and, I believe, bump up the smoke trails, etc a bit. That would be cool to see in action.

I probably found possible solution, but with cost of losing air explosions effect due to fuel tank fire. I made some testing against Gotha and Aviatiks yesterday and it looked promising. It is a "quick and dirty" mod. If you can accept it, then the mod would be available for JSGME quite easily.

Last edited by JJJ65; 08/10/16 06:06 AM.
#4286300 - 08/10/16 02:37 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: JJJ65]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada

I probably found possible solution, but with cost of losing air explosions effect due to fuel tank fire. I made some testing against Gotha and Aviatiks yesterday and it looked promising. It is a "quick and dirty" mod. If you can accept it, then the mod would be available for JSGME quite easily.

JJJ65, how about you posting a vid to demo the mod! That would be cool and help us evaluate.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4286305 - 08/10/16 02:49 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins
JJJ65, how about you posting a vid to demo the mod! That would be cool and help us evaluate.

+1

I wasn't much of a fan of the plane exploding to begin with, so I'm okay with that going away completely in a mod. If there's still trailing smoke, oil and catching fire, I'd love to see it in action. Thanks for looking into this JJJ!

#4286333 - 08/10/16 03:38 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
Hellshade, Belgian resources to provide what JJJ65 clearly asked for in post #4284601 ARE there, as I've indicated. But if the work is too much for one guy, fair enough! cheers And for years now, Belgian requests have been deadhorse anyway. Past time to dream another dream.

#4286340 - 08/10/16 03:50 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
I obviously didn't make myself clear. I would be happy to provide everything we need to add the Belgian Air Service, if someone builds two crucial aircraft. Without those, there is no point, as Jim noted, of deadhorse
Cheers
Shredward

We will remember them.
#4286345 - 08/10/16 04:00 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: JFM]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Hellshade, Belgian resources to provide what JJJ65 clearly asked for in post #4284601 ARE there, as I've indicated. But if the work is too much for one guy, fair enough! cheers And for years now, Belgian requests have been deadhorse anyway. Past time to dream another dream.

I fear the nature of all war sims is such that the scope of reality shall forever be far larger and out of reach of the sim that seeks to imitate it, regardless of how much passion is behind its creation. Much can be done and has been done in WOFF 3, but I suppose sadly without some massive infusion of cash, there will always be things left undone. frown

But I see while I was posting Shred has added what he is willing to contribute. Mark me down as being perfectly happy...even excited...to be wrong if it can in fact be done.

Last edited by Hellshade; 08/10/16 04:01 PM.

#4286378 - 08/10/16 05:52 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: Shredward]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Originally Posted By: Shredward
I obviously didn't make myself clear. I would be happy to provide everything we need to add the Belgian Air Service, if someone builds two crucial aircraft. Without those, there is no point, as Jim noted, of deadhorse
Cheers
Shredward

By my opinion to add the Belgian Air Service to WOFF, we would need at least:
- one or two 3D modellers (skilled in gmax or 3DSMax) to create necessary two (or more) aircraft
- one or two historicians/researchers to create data files
- one 2D artist to create GUI and aircraft skins
- one coder/scriptor to implement all above to WOFF + create damage and flight models and so on (I know one :))
Providing all above resources available, we can start to do something.

Last edited by JJJ65; 08/10/16 05:53 PM.
#4286382 - 08/10/16 06:01 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

OK, but no earlier than on Sunday (RL duties frown ).

#4286386 - 08/10/16 06:13 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: JJJ65]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
OK, but no earlier than on Sunday (RL duties frown ).

I can't complain. It's looking like it will be this weekend before I can record those voice files for English speaking pilots cursing when shot at.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM