Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4281891 - 07/25/16 06:58 PM The quick and dirty next add-on pack  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
I was thinking what new pack could be interesting, does not need that much labor/effort, could be popular for buyers and still keep the attention to WoFF. New fronts like the alp maps or eastern front are very labour intensive to make or do not have any interest for most players.
So what pack, could be affordable for OBD to create, without making loss, as you all know the market is small.

Based on this pictures
and the book from Walter Pieters I counted:
Nieuport 10C1, 11 bebe, 16 & 23
Sopw 1.5 strutter, camel & Pup
Spad 7 & 13
Be2c
Re8
So we have nearly all of the Belgian planes.

Now we could create an extra 2seater like the Breguet 14 or SpadXI which could also be very welcome for France, only I think it would be a lot of labor.

This was my idea for the new "lean en mean" pack direction, based on what is already in this game, maybe others do have an better idea. As we all know OBD is going nonWW1, so big developments like Polish war or something similar, is in my point of view rather useless.

Last edited by dutch; 07/25/16 07:01 PM.
#4281906 - 07/25/16 07:19 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Nice package - but why call it "dirty"?

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4281908 - 07/25/16 07:23 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
online MMP is whats needed. That would be so cool, and then with mission editers etc...

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4281912 - 07/25/16 07:43 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
(1) For MMP to happen, it means OBD must break a solemn promise they made to everybody when they published WOFF, and that is for the FM's to be able to be modified by users. The only way a MMP works is if you lock down the FM so nobody cheats and they all fly the same FM.

(2) If you want a MMP, you have "XXX" which has a poor AI compared to WOFF since it was designed from the start as a MMP (which is why I do not fly "XXX"). WOFF is designed for single person use like I use it and would to keep it exactly as OBD designed since I do not want to fly against others, but the AI.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
#4281914 - 07/25/16 07:59 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: Olham]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Originally Posted By: Olham
Nice package - but why call it "dirty"?

It is a method we use here in the semi conductor industry, it means speed or low effort, when doing a project or trouble shooting and because of the speed and ofcorse no time, we have to act dirty in copy/paste from another projects or in case of an instruction, technical drawimgs, we just make some simple sketches or photo's and we correct this later to something bautiful and official.
I'm not saying the add-on pack should be dirty, but why putting a lot of effort in a new pack while a Belgium pack could be simple to make, when all the important planes are already in the game.

Last edited by dutch; 07/26/16 02:55 PM.
#4281984 - 07/26/16 01:30 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
I think the next add-on that may be easy to implement with minimum effort would be a "captured plane set" add-on. To be able to fly a captured plane, your rank would have to be high, you would have to shoot the plane yourself (and have it confirmed biggrin ). No spare parts, so if the damage is too great you go back to your default mount until you capture another one. There could even be a greater chance of being hit by friendly ground fire. There should be no effort in building new models since all the planes are already in the sim. All it would need is a new skin and a lot of programming to make it work.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4281997 - 07/26/16 04:09 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
There are a lot of key planes for Belgian use, despite gaping holes for planes that aren't in the sim and used by the AMB, but perhaps the biggest labor would be getting the squadrons together and implementing the information (pilots, airfields, aces, missions, dates, timelines, medals, airplane model transitions, squadron complements, yadda) into the campaign. Not that it couldn't be done, but it'd be more than just putting out a few Belgian skins. Although Walter's book certainly would be the one-and-only book needed for, well, everything to facilitate a Belgian add-on, and I have all the artwork for the skins.

But we've been making noise for the Belgians for literally years now. OBD knows. yep

As far as lack of interest in other fronts, I've seen marked interest expressed here for the Italian front. I dare say it would create a drool tsunami with a lot of us. Doesn't seem in the cards, but the interest is there.

PS. Please, God, no MMP. That will ruin the sim with demands for "fair" and "evenly matched" planes and detour too much dev time away from SP, WOFF's bread and butter. OFF Phase 1 had multiplayer and it was a bit wonky. Thankfully OBD 86d it.

#4282010 - 07/26/16 06:32 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: JFM]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: JFM
...we've been making noise for the Belgians for literally years now. OBD knows. yep

I bet they know - and have it on their list.
I bet Shredward has Walter Pieters' book.
I bet, that one day...

I've seen marked interest expressed here for the Italian front.
I dare say it would create a drool tsunami with a lot of us.

Oh, that would be phantastic! But that is more than 7 dreams away, I guess...

#4282107 - 07/26/16 02:51 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Believe me the Italian front, I prefer to say the Alp map to exclude the low regions, would for me number one, but this means lots of efforts, two big air forces, with some From France,UK and Germany, a complete new map, airstrips on different surroundings, soldiers hidden in the caves, there is nothing flat.
As an Alsace flyer, I would buy the alp map, love the Big mountans, but the market is very limited and I think FOR OBD it would be waste, because a limit buyers will actually get this pack.

Last edited by dutch; 07/26/16 02:52 PM.
#4282116 - 07/26/16 03:09 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Maybe right, Dutch - but they'd be the first ones to come up with WW1 air combat over the Adriatic Sea!
Imagine to have those elegant Austrian and Italian seaplanes...!

But my personal guess for a next "Add-On" would be: French two-seater(s)...

#4282121 - 07/26/16 03:30 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Did somebody mention Belgians?

Have I already said that it would be super cool to have them included in WOFF too? Many of the planes they used are already in the sim, so... smile

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4282126 - 07/26/16 03:49 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
Originally Posted By: dutch
Believe me the Italian front, I prefer to say the Alp map to exclude the low regions, would for me number one, but this means lots of efforts, two big air forces, with some From France,UK and Germany, a complete new map, airstrips on different surroundings, soldiers hidden in the caves, there is nothing flat.
As an Alsace flyer, I would buy the alp map, love the Big mountans, but the market is very limited and I think FOR OBD it would be waste, because a limit buyers will actually get this pack.

I understand and agree, but you are changing the subject. The subject was interest in other fronts, for which there is plenty.

#4282139 - 07/26/16 04:18 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: JFM]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Originally Posted By: dutch

I understand and agree, but you are changing the subject. The subject was interest in other fronts, for which there is plenty.

nope the subject is to make an Quick and dirty add-on pack, while OBD is going to nonWW1, I think a labor intensive pack would never being considdered to be released by OBD. But it will maybe changed by bringing in ideas, that will get max results at the lowest effort for OBD, things that even OBD never thought of. Yep, why not picking the avalible low hanging cherries ?

I'm also not talking about improvements in the game like better and offencieve AI gunners for 2seaters, because we have already the whish list for Woff topic. Pure talking about an intresting add-on pack.

I hope I'm now more clear to this.

#4282173 - 07/26/16 05:56 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
The biggest bang for your buck would be a "Belgian" add-on with the Hanriot, Farman Shorthorn, Breguet 14, and maybe Caudron. This would allow for the major French 2 seaters throughout the war while permitting full Belgian career options. OBD could charge a solid price for this one. It would be nice if the Farman could become the Entente training aircraft.

And to remove all the "aircraft not available" notes, a very welcome later add-on could add the Armstrong-Whitworth FK8, Martinsyde Elephant, and Sopwith Dolphin.

#4282194 - 07/26/16 07:21 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
+1

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4282200 - 07/26/16 07:30 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Redwolf2 Offline
Redwolf2  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
+2

Yes, makes most sense to fills holes already there (and I don't suspect there will be more than 1 (maybe 2 (slightest of chances)) add-ons left since they will be mostly focusing on new endeavor.

Raine really hit it I think. attack ...and yes, Sopwith Dolphin...please??!?!?!??!!?!?!?

#4282236 - 07/26/16 09:27 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Eh. I'll be the wet blanket here and say the Western Front needs to be fully fleshed out before turning to other fronts.
No offense to anyone here but I have no interest in Italy or Russia and, as for the Belgiums, just how they would add to the Western Front. I don't have time enough to fly all my British and German careers now. Still like to have a late war American career (French/American two-seaters) sometime.

#4282238 - 07/26/16 09:49 PM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Well I guess let's see what WOFF UE adds first, since that's what they are evidently working on. I'm sure whatever they do, it will be a nice addition to the sim. That said, I think adding whole fronts is expensive time wise. IMHO, it's more likely they will continue to flesh out the western front if anything.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4282295 - 07/27/16 05:29 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Poor dreamers...
Quote of Winding Man from other tread:
"We are working on a UE version of WOFF and the intention is to also spend time polishing the things as opposed to writing more code/changing code.
There are but basically only 3 of us left.
WM"

So, I would say, we can expect highly polished version of WOFF without any time/resource consuming additions as above mentioned.

#4282309 - 07/27/16 09:02 AM Re: The quick and dirty next add-on pack [Re: dutch]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Dreamers indeed! Don't be a buzzkill sir.
I will certainly take a "highly polished" version of what we have now...with a couple of new aircraft thrown in.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM