#4267751 - 06/06/16 11:23 PM Gaming headphones review: Logitech G933/G633  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
G933, wireless version discussed here.
G633, wired version with otherwise the same features.

I've got to say something about these headphones. I've gone through a fair number of headphones, gaming and a few decent music sets with a mod mic added.
Feature-wise, the old Logitech G35 (wired) was hard to beat. I tried. Something as simple as the mute indicator light on the boom was huge but rare. Some have that now, but it should be all of them. An easy to find mute button, volume, function buttons, stowable mic that mutes when the boom is raised, decent sound (not the best)...but when Logitech integrated their drivers into a single interface, it ruined it. Having a Logitech keyboard, gaming pad (G13) and gaming mouse (G602--BRILLIANT!), I was stuck with the new driver. The driver is infamous for introducing interference to the headphones. A constant buzzing. Logitech offered no fix other than rolling back to the early drivers. Then there's the problem of the wire. A very good wire with woven casing and plenty of length, but simply IN THE WAY. I wanted wireless.

I went through a fair number of headphones after the G35's let me down, eventually returning or resellling several.
Sennheiser PC 350
SteelSeries 7H
Some kind of Turtlebeach headphones
Klipsch Mode M40 w/mod mic
Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Omega Wireless

One or two others I can't recall, but I ended up frustrated and settled for the Klipsch's for music and the Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Omega Wireless for gaming.
It was a compromise. Not bad feature-wise, but had some annoyances that bugged me every time I used them.

I noticed the Logitech 933 when it came out last year, but was turned off by the price. I won't go back to wired for gaming, so the 633 was out, although it has the same features otherwise. The Sound Blasters pissed me off for the last time and I finally ordered them. Amazon had them $20 off now, excuse enough.

What do I like:
-No interference sound like the G35's!
-It's got a short, every easily stowed mic. Folds up as well as pulls out, and it's flexible. Noise cancelling, but I'd imagine it's powerless with the racket around here. Don't blame Logitech . The mic stows away so nicely when upright that I usually have to take the headphones off just to find it to flip it down. It looks really good up, no boom sticking out of the side of your head. One might think there was no boom at all.
-Easy to find volume and it's a dial, not push buttons. Not the big roller dial I liked on the G35's, but almost as good and easy to locate.
-The lighting was a turn off, but it's highly customizeable. Most importantly that includes OFF. Even if you like that sort of thing, you can't see it! As long as I can turn it off, that's fine. And I can.
-The function buttons are easy to customize. Switch between surround and stereo, mute TS, change the eq...pretty much whatever you want to do.
-Mute the mic: a simple button press on the ear cup or raise the boom. It has the mute indicator light as well as an audible reminder.
-Variable mic feedback so you can hear yourself just enough to not shout at people. Major feature IMO.
-The profiles you set up automatically change when a game is launched, if you want that. I just use a default profile. This works alongside the profiles for other Logitech devices, like my G13 keypad and G602 mouse.
-Dolby 7.1 or DTS.
-Closed ear design, but not an uncomfortable air tight enclosure. The ear cups can be taken off if you want, but I don't see much reason.
-Decent battery life. The Logi interface will tell you how much time you have left on the charge, not just a percentage of charge. This is directly affected by your lighting options. Drop them like I do and you get around 12 hours or so IIRC. I should charge 100% and check to see if that's still the case.
-Charging is done by the usual micro USB cable most devices use these days, not some proprietary plug. You can use the headphones while charging.
-Auto-off after a reasonable amount of time with no sound input to save battery life. Hit any button to wake them up.
-Not a feature I use, but you can plug in a 2nd audio source with a 3.5mm analog input.
-I don't have a PS4 or X1, but they can be used with those, so if I end up with one I'm still covered.
-The battery is Logitech 's, but removable. Perhaps a better one in the future? Also, the wireless receiver dongle can store inside the left ear cup.
-COMFORTABLE.

The shape of the ear cups is the best I've found. Probably the first ear cups that are literally around and over the ear. No pressure whatsoever and glasses-friendly. Nicely spaced and held out from my head enough that my ears aren't flattened. Not hot as a result. You can wiggle your ears under these things, if that makes sense. I've heard some reviewers say that looking down or up that the headphones would fall off. My G35's did that sometimes, they just weren't tight enough for me to look down at my feet. I'm not having that issue at all with these. No slippage. I'm sure that's an individual thing, but since the G35's did that for me and these don't, I figure that's worth mentioning.

Sound quality:
I don't really get why they call this 7.1 surround sound. The side channels are what turns this from 5.1 to 7.1, but I can't tell the difference between the sides and the rears. In a demo, the just seem to repeat each other, completely redundant. In that way, it's a bit of a letdown. Why they don't just call it a highly successful 5.1 instead is beyond me. I guess it just looks better on the box. Excellent as 5.1, misses the mark as 7.1. I have my rear and side volumes set differently in an attempt to differentiate. IMO, good stereo is fine for gaming, I'm not a surround snob. Still, it sounds good in a 5.1 sense. Switching to stereo is done at the push of a button on the ear cup.
For music, it's not bad! Having the eq helps of course, but most gaming headphones are abysmal for music. These don't compete with my Klipsch set, but using them so I don't have to pull those out isn't a big disappointment either. You could get by with just these if you aren't an audiophile (not that I am either).

What would I change:
-Might make the mic boom a little longer, but as it is, as far as I know, it picks me up just fine. I can also up the mic gain.
-More battery time is always good, but I'm not complaining. The battery is their own, but removable from the right ear cup. In the future, maybe we'll get a replacement with more life.
-I expect many years out of these as long as Logitech doesn't screw us over again somehow on the drivers. Worth the price IMO, but $130 wired, $180 wireless (on amazon) is still probably $50 more than most want to pay. I've paid more before and certainly less, but these give me more for my money than any others have before.

Bottom line:
8.5/10 for me.
Music can always be better, although it's not bad and these are classified specifically as "gaming" headphones.
7.1 is more like 5.1.
Even better battery would be welcome.

Best I've had and I'm extremely happy. Thought they were worthy of spreading the word.
thumbsup

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4267758 - 06/06/16 11:41 PM Re: Gaming headphones review: Logitech G933/G633 [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Look like a TIR track clip Pro wouldn't mount easily though.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4267759 - 06/06/16 11:42 PM Re: Gaming headphones review: Logitech G933/G633 [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Great review!

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4267774 - 06/07/16 12:54 AM Re: Gaming headphones review: Logitech G933/G633 [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
I literally bought new ear pads for my G930 (predecessor to G933) yesterday on Amazon for $4. Mine was getting a little ratty after some five or more years of use! ...

I still love the G930 although I’ve also been looking at the G933 so thanks for the review!

This headset is probably my all time favorite piece of hardware. I’ve thrown them across the room a few times but they keep on sounding great! biggrin

#4267775 - 06/07/16 12:56 AM Re: Gaming headphones review: Logitech G933/G633 [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
Nice review, I'm on my second set of Logitech G930 wireless headset and its been great to me. Great battery life, crystal clear voice and great sound. First one lasted me 4-5yrs hoping the second is just as good.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-...ch+g930+headset

EDIT: LOL Linebacker I did the same got the blue cloth replacements right before my charging port and hinge broke on the old set. At least I'll have the replacement pads when the new ones start falling apart.

Last edited by HitchHikingFlatlander; 06/07/16 12:58 AM.

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#4267776 - 06/07/16 01:03 AM Re: Gaming headphones review: Logitech G933/G633 [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Originally Posted By: HitchHikingFlatlander
EDIT: LOL Linebacker I did the same got the blue cloth replacements right before my charging port and hinge broke on the old set. At least I'll have the replacement pads when the new ones start falling apart.

Same thing will probably happen to me. I expect to be waiting about a month for the new pads ... it's free shipping but apparently they're shipped on a rowboat from China. smile

#4267907 - 06/07/16 02:28 PM Re: Gaming headphones review: Logitech G933/G633 [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Thanks for the review Raw.

Do you know if the trackir clip mounts to these?

I have a 930, and am happy with it, but it is good to know options...

#4267911 - 06/07/16 02:35 PM Re: Gaming headphones review: Logitech G933/G633 [Re: cichlidfan]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Originally Posted By: cichlidfan
Look like a TIR track clip Pro wouldn't mount easily though.

No, they are too thick to find a mount for track clip, already tried. I have the G930 best headset I've ever had.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#4267912 - 06/07/16 02:37 PM Re: Gaming headphones review: Logitech G933/G633 [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I didn't expect anyone to be able to make it through that post, thanks for reading. LOL
If it weren't for that driver issue and really wanting to go wireless, I'd probably still be on the G35's. Like I said, it's hard to beat the features. Nothing hugely technical, just smart. These follow in that tradition and advance it a bit.

The 930's are cheap these days, about $75. If you have no other Logitech devices and can get by with the pre-unified driver, that would be a good buy. Logitech is pretty good about keeping old drivers accessible.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4281423 - 07/24/16 04:42 AM Re: Gaming headphones review: Logitech G933/G633 [Re: Linebacker]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Originally Posted By: Linebacker
Originally Posted By: HitchHikingFlatlander

Same thing will probably happen to me. I expect to be waiting about a month for the new pads ... it's free shipping but apparently they're shipped on a rowboat from China. smile

My new ear pads finally came in after a month and a half! Can’t complain since they were $4 with free shipping! smile ...

I totally recommend the cloth ear pads with the red lining. My G930 is like new again. Best piece of PC gear I’ve ever owned.

Here’s the before picture again. I can’t even recall how many years ago I bought these ...

#4281554 - 07/24/16 04:23 PM Re: Gaming headphones review: Logitech G933/G633 [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Moses Offline
I have a Rather Large
Moses  Offline
I have a Rather Large

Tulsa, Ok, USA
i wonder how to can get the trackir clip to attach to it.

Jeff "Moses" Malone
Proud Member of 195th Dambusters Virtual Squadron.
http://561stbms.enjin.com/
#4281614 - 07/24/16 08:22 PM Re: Gaming headphones review: Logitech G933/G633 [Re: Moses]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: Moses
i wonder how to can get the trackir clip to attach to it.

I used to have a G930. The Track Clip pro fit on the plastic section above the pivot point (Y axis ear cup pivot point while wearing the headset). The hinge of the clamp has a narrow and a wider setting, to give you more flexibility to accommodate thicker headset bands.

If you're talking about the reflector clip instead... I don't think I would seriously consider attaching that to the headset in some way. For those who don't like wearing a ball cap for the reflector clip, maybe a golf visor would be a better solution.

#4281632 - 07/24/16 09:04 PM Re: Gaming headphones review: Logitech G933/G633 [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
You can also buy the stickers like on the regular clip and experiment some. Sticking them on those black metal office clips and then that on the headphones or a cap works OK.

#4339837 - 02/23/17 09:23 PM Re: Gaming headphones review: Logitech G933/G633 [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Bump for Ice.
I still stand by my feelings about this set. Still LOVE them.
I've been using the Creative's in the bedroom and although they sound good, I really hate them due to battery life and that damned timed power button. LOL

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.