Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4280601 - 07/21/16 11:57 AM Idea for a bomber sim  
Doogerie Offline
Doogerie  Offline

ok first of all this just a hypothetical thing I just had this idea and i can't program or anything but i wanted to get it off my chest.

In world war 2 there were heavy bombers with a bomber crews now my idea was to have a game where you can play an position in a bomber from pilot to turret gunner so far so normal right now the multiplayer is where things get interesting when you enter the multiplayer for a game like normal but you can also search for a position in the crew say for example you wanted to play as a side gunner you can or you can hook up with your friends and act as a bomber crew. what do you think.

#4280659 - 07/21/16 03:49 PM Re: Idea for a bomber sim [Re: Doogerie]  
James McKenzie-Smith Offline
James McKenzie-Smith  Offline

Vancouver, BC, Canada
I think that there is just not much for most players on a virtual bomber to do from one minute to the next. Take your example of a player in one of the waist gunner positions. What does he do for the take off? During joining the formation? Over the channel? In the skies over Germany when there are no fighters? (observe the sky is the answer to that, of course, but I can imagine that being rather boring after a few minutes of nothing happening.) What about during bomb runs, or flying over flak concentrations?

Also, who decides when to use time acceleration so that the bomber (or bombers) can bypass the boring bits of the flight? What happens if and when a player dies early in a mission? Do they rejoin on another bomber?

You can try out the idea of taking a single role on an aircraft by playing this...

https://www.gog.com/game/b_17_flying_fortress_the_mighty_8th

...and seeing how much fun it actually is. On the whole, I suspect that being able to switch roles makes for a more satisfying game experience. Of course, there is the social aspect, but I imagine that players will get a very uneven experience based on the role they take on the crew.

On the other hand, emerging VR technologies might make the whole thing a more satisfying experience than would have been possible with a game like The Mighty 8th. Being able to clamber around a virtual bomber, doing things like manning guns, giving first aid, repairing battle damage, and bailing out etc. etc. might be more fun in a well executed virtual environment, provided that a sensible approach to time acceleration is taken.

#4280660 - 07/21/16 03:51 PM Re: Idea for a bomber sim [Re: Doogerie]  
ST0RM Offline
ST0RM  Offline

Ten Mile, Tn
Updated "B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th"?

#4280804 - 07/22/16 03:19 AM Re: Idea for a bomber sim [Re: Doogerie]  
Darklight Offline
Darklight  Offline

Brisbane
Rise Of Flight has this feature in single & multiplayer. You can do it in the Gotha (Germany) and the Handley Page (British) - both 'heavy bombers' of the day, with multiple gun placements. Plus there are lots of other 2-seater planes you can man the gun in while someone else pilots.

Last edited by Darklight; 07/22/16 03:27 AM.

Storm Clouds over the Western Front - 2D aerial combat game

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.