Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4277861 - 07/10/16 12:35 PM Flying Tigers in 150  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
Unfortunately the theatre cannot be converted because it is a botch overlay of the default ETO theatre with modified tiles. So convoys and similar things cannot be set. The target map is the ETO default, with about 10 modifications the target names changed.
If you run it without the "Europe1.pic" and "tarnames.str" files you can see the real truth:

However, the aircraft are a different matter smile

I was using the SPAW multiplayer theatre wink

Some of Ade's FMs need adjusting to define certain aircraft as floatplanes to allow take off from and land on water.

Last edited by MrJelly; 07/10/16 12:38 PM.

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4277870 - 07/10/16 01:36 PM Re: Flying Tigers in 150 [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

#4277879 - 07/10/16 02:19 PM Re: Flying Tigers in 150 [Re: MrJelly]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
Since we have a user who asked for help specifically with The Flying Tiger scenario would you mind if I use this post to explain how to add a CBI skin to 1.5?

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4277887 - 07/10/16 03:15 PM Re: Flying Tigers in 150 [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

By all means wink

I went through the process that was needed starting with Ade's Flying Tigers files.
It needed the FMs done as well, and this required the "30 plane" files to be split and then converted to 150 format.
As a result I have updated the utilities involved, and now I need to write a tutorial.

I just added these to my FT planes folder:

wink

Last edited by MrJelly; 07/10/16 03:21 PM.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4277944 - 07/10/16 08:01 PM Re: Flying Tigers in 150 [Re: MrJelly]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

You'll need the converter program, MogProg to make this happen so go to Jel's link and download it to a new work folder.

Then the first thing you need to do is identify the skin and 3dz model you want to add to version 1.5. This means you have to figure out which slot your desired plane is assigned to.

There are a number of ways to do this. First check the readme file for the scenario you plan to pull the plane from. A lot of times the producer will have listed the plane substitutions slot by slot.

You can also look at the plane selection screen to try to determine the slot.

I'm not going to get into the weeds on this part. Suffice to say that if you can't figure it out just ask, we'll help.

No matter which slot the plane was in you will have to change the name to fit into the 1.5 scheme which does away with the individual slot names.

So if the plane was in the P-38H slot all the 3dz files will have the standard naming scheme of PP38H*.3dz where the * stands for a letter from A to Z. That's because the 3dz files have to be recognized by the exec.

Unfortunately the texture files (.TPC) are not as straight forward. In the early days of EAW modders used a variety of naming sequences for these files so we're left with a bunch of different naming sequences. But for the most part the files will have plane name in their name.

You need to navigate to the folder where these files reside. Most likely they'll be found in the root folder of the scenario you are pulling the plane from.

Copy all of the 3dz and tpc files for your plane to the work folder where you put MogProg because the next a step is to convert them to the 1.5 naming scheme.

You need to copy two other files from the root folder. One is the VCG_****.dat file ( **** being the slot name, such as P38H ). The other is the P***VIEW.cpt file which sets the pallet for the cockpit. That one is not as easy to identify because the *** designates the slot with a three digit number NOT the 4 letter name. So the P38H .CPT file has the numbers 001 as in P001VIEW.cpt.

Now here's where I'm convinced the original designers were under a lot of pressure to get things finished. Either than or there was some serious partying going on in the cubicles.

The next plane is the P38J but the cpt file isn't P002VIEW.cpt. It's P011VIEW.cpt.

The next plane is the P47C so it's cpt file is P021VIEW.cpt.

This naming sequence runs through the 30 slots in this way - 001, 011, 021, 031, 041, 051, 061, 071, 081, 091, 101, 111, 121, 131, ........up to slot 30 which is 291.

It means you have to figure out the slot your plane is in and then go down the list of .cpt files to grab the right one. If you write down the cpt numbers in a column next to the plane names it's pretty easy.

Once this is done you're through the hardest part.

So, navigate to the work folder.

Run Mogprog and you will see on the left a list of all the file in the folder. On the top right there is a small scrollable box. Click on it and scroll down to the list to the last entry which is "lane".

See, MogProg was originally intended to make it easier to switch a plane from one slot to another in the pre-1.5 days. It can be done manually by changing all the file names but then you need to use a hexeditor to go "inside" each of the 3dz files to change the texture file name reference to the new slot.

What we found though was that MogProg will convert any file in the folder to whatever four letters you desire. So we changed the last one on the list from "V1V1" to "lane". This works perfectly because those are the four letters that ALL planes in 1.5 use. That's correct, every single plane in the 1.5 inventory uses the designation Plane*.3dz rather than a designation like PP38H*.3dz.

So if you select that last entry "lane" all the files will be converted. All the files EXCEPT the cpt and the .dat file, that is. You must rename then using the normal Windows renaming function. The .CPT file will become Pla_VIEW.cpt and the .dat file will become VCGplane.dat.

The next step will be to actually add the plane to 1.5 but that is mostly a Windows exercise not a modding one.

#4278020 - 07/11/16 03:45 AM Re: Flying Tigers in 150 [Re: MrJelly]  
Crashin' Jack Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur
Crashin' Jack  Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur

Illinois, USA
Ray, FYI - all cpt files end in "1." It's simply a placeholder having to do with the code. They are actually then numbered 00, 01, 02, 03, etc up to 29.

clapping

Carry on !

"Blasts from clustered R4M quartets in my snout
And see these English planes go burn...." Blue Oyster Cult

#4278053 - 07/11/16 09:08 AM Re: Flying Tigers in 150 [Re: MrJelly]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Jack, Not sure what you're saying.

#4278168 - 07/11/16 04:37 PM Re: Flying Tigers in 150 [Re: MrJelly]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

So now that you have the files converted you can add the model to the Aircraft_Inventory.

This is the main folder of which there can be any number of sub-folders with skins and flight models for various planes. Everything from pre-WWI biplanes to early jets will be included in these sub-folders.

The sub-folders have names such as "DunkirkPlanes" or "SPAWplanes". For the most part these names refer to a particular scenario however with the universal plane picking option we are no longer limited to the planesets originally designed by the producers of the various scenarios.

The easiest thing to do when adding just a skin, not an entirely new plane, is to navigate to a skin folder that already contains the same plane in a particular scenario. This is not the only way to proceed. You can actually select a FM from one scenario and a skin model from another but for simplicity's sake right now we'll stick to sub-folders within one scenario.

So for instance, if you want to add a new P-40C skin navigate to the Malta140_Planes\skins folder. Scroll down the list of folders until for come to the P40C subfolder. Copy that folder and rename the copy P40CNewSkin1 ( any name you want to use is OK as long as it isn't the same as an existing name in the list.)

Open this new folder and delete all .3dz, .tpc, .CPT and .dat files.

Now copy your recently converted files into this folder.

Next you will use the plane selection option in the PSMV12.exe program that is in the root directory of 1.5.

After you open the program you will first select an exec to use, then a scenario and then a planeset associated with that scenario.

Next you switch to the personal aircraft selection page by clicking on the tab at the top of the screen.

On the right you will see the planes that are loaded. On the left you will see a bunch of Windows folders with the names of various scenario planesets. You will need to drill down through both columns, the left side is for the skins and the right side is for the flight models.

So in this case since we added a P40C skin in the Malta140_Planes\Skins subfolder you would need to navigate to that folder which we named P40CNewSkin1.

You did not add a new plane to the Flight model lost so you will use the existing P40C flight model by navigating to the P40C folder.

Once you are sure you have the folders correct you simply double click on the column labeled "skin Selected" to add your skin to the list in whichever slot you desire and then double click on the "FM Selected" to add the flight model to the same slot.

Tip - In general use the top 16 slots for Allies planes and the bottom 14 slots for Axis planes.

Once you've done this click on the "Save to savedata" box. There is no animation associated with this box so you just have to be sure that you are somewhere inside the box when you click the mouse.

Now when you run the game your model will be displayed in the slot you selected.

You can add as many skins as you like for the same plane. Just name them NewSkin2 and so forth.

You could also make different squadrons with the same plane model but different skins merely by selecting different slots with the same flight model folder but different skins folders.

#4278553 - 07/12/16 11:15 PM Re: Flying Tigers in 150 [Re: MrJelly]  
Shadow9216 Offline
Shadow9216  Offline

Pacific Northwest
Checking in real quick, I'm working a Cub Scout camp this week, trying to teach Forensics and Crime Scene examination to 170+ kids...

First- a big THANK YOU and S! to you guys for taking time from your projects to help with mine- greatly appreciated.
Second- this is going to take me some time to get my head around, so I'll probably be offline for a few while I read and re-read everything. A lot to take in for one completely unfamiliar with the routines- but you've done a thorough job explaining everything, so I think I can figure it out. If not...
Third- I'll be back! When I've figured it out, or when I get stuck.

Until then- happy flying!

#4278571 - 07/13/16 12:24 AM Re: Flying Tigers in 150 [Re: MrJelly]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

OK, we'll await your return.

BTW, seems to me your skills might come in handy around here some day.

#4278726 - 07/13/16 05:24 PM Re: Flying Tigers in 150 [Re: MrJelly]  
PeterMBooth Offline
PeterMBooth  Offline

Pontypridd, South Wales,UK
Hi all,

Is this scenario just going to be the "genuine" Flying Tigers from Dec 1941 to the point when they were merged with the USAAF mid 42? If so the bulk of the enemy planes would be JAAF - Ki15,Ki21,Ki27,Ki30,Ki32,Ki43, possibly Ki44 as 9 were being service tested in China from May 42, Ki46 (perhaps Ki 46-I), Ki48-I, and Ki51. JNAF were I believe sometimes encountered operating from land bases, A5M4, A6M2, G3M, a few G4M and ditto the Navy version of the Ki15 known as the C5M. Maybe a few old B4Y1 as well. I doubt if the D3A1 and B5N1 ranged that far inland. Seaplanes and floatplanes are always fun but I doubt many were seen in the P40B days except perhaps over Singapore. You will I hope also be including RAF Buffalos, Blenheims and Hurricanes as they operated alongside the AVG for the early period. I vaguely remember playing Ade's scenario but cannot remember what planes he included. A real H8K instead of a repainted Sunderland would be a stunner if anybody ever had the time and inclination.

I have recently read an article on the subject and remember mention of "Type 96, 97 and 0" but that is not entirely helpful as there were several different Type 96 and 97 aircraft - fighters, bombers etc - due to the way the numbering by year system worked, and the lack of knowledge of Japanese aircraft at the time often seems to have led to Oscars being identified as Zeros. Must see if I can find where I have put that article which definitely mentioned Ki44 a couple of times. I suspect many of the older types are not currently availabe in EAW and a couple may be old Fw190/Me110 conversions so you have quite a struggle on your hands - good luck!

Pete

With increasing age should come wisdom and tolerance, but as the saying goes, "there is no fool like an old fool" as I prove regularly!

#4278734 - 07/13/16 05:51 PM Re: Flying Tigers in 150 [Re: MrJelly]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

There is a hi-res Ki-44 in SPAW that can be used in any CBI scenario.

I have a hi-res Buffalo but only in USN colors.

There is a Blenheim in the Med pack and I have a green-brown camo for it.

#4278776 - 07/13/16 08:23 PM Re: Flying Tigers in 150 [Re: MrJelly]  
PeterMBooth Offline
PeterMBooth  Offline

Pontypridd, South Wales,UK
Thanks Ray,

Still quite a way to go on the models I suspect - all the best.

Pete

With increasing age should come wisdom and tolerance, but as the saying goes, "there is no fool like an old fool" as I prove regularly!

#4278871 - 07/14/16 09:15 AM Re: Flying Tigers in 150 [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

This was the source I used

http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/AVG_Flying_Tigers

I am trying to geographically locate their bases, and checking Pobs WIP Burma map

wink

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.