Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4274444 - 06/29/16 12:22 PM VR support not actually working.  
crustybun Offline
crustybun  Offline

Wiltshire
Aside from a whole bunch of people congratulating 1c over on their forum for adding VR support... no one has actually reported playing it in VR.

I've spent more than an hour trying to get it to run and I know someone else on steam also unable to get it running.

#4274472 - 06/29/16 01:32 PM Re: VR support not actually working. [Re: crustybun]  
crustybun Offline
crustybun  Offline

Wiltshire
OK well it's not just me. It's broken for everyone with VR.

#4274482 - 06/29/16 01:54 PM Re: VR support not actually working. [Re: crustybun]  
crustybun Offline
crustybun  Offline

Wiltshire
OK well there is NO VR support for IL2 Battle of Stalingrad.

I got a reply from the developer on steam and he said I have to take Vive out of direct mode. Sure enough the sim does run on the Vive in that mode but it's unplayable. You can't see the menus unless you set GUI FOV to zoom out and if you do that then you're not actually in a lifesize cockpit but a miniature one.

There is no real VR support here so I suggest you update your information.

"
Originally Posted By: Sneaksie(RUS);358415738208960563
Launch Steam VR and go into its settings. There, on Developers tab, is 'Disable Direct mode' button. Click it to apply extended mode. Then close Steam VR and run the game, it should display in your Vive instead of monitor.

If it doesn't, make sure or_enable is set to 1 in startup.cfg (it may revert to or_enable = 0 after a failed launch).

OK. Well it does start in VR with direct mode off but it's unplayable. You can't really expect people to play it this way? To start with you can't access the menus because the FOV is too great by default. GUI FOV. When I reduce that as recommended to 0.5 then when I'm in the cockpit it's very small. I'm in a toy plane instead of lifesize.

So the question is how long before you implement WORKING VR?

I purchased this because SimHQ said you added Vive support. Your steam page says you added Vive support but having to switch out of direct mode in steamvr is not acceptable.

I invite people to try it and see what I mean. Imagine Vorpx without the option to adjust FOV or use the image peek feature. That's how it looks.

I'm going to request a steam refund unless you have some sort of ETA for fully operational direct mode Vive support."

#4274483 - 06/29/16 01:57 PM Re: VR support not actually working. [Re: crustybun]  
crustybun Offline
crustybun  Offline

Wiltshire
Update:

"
Originally Posted By: Sneaksie(RUS);358415738209045356
There will be an update today that corrects the relative size in VR so you shouldn't experience a 'toy plane' feeling, along with other improvements.
"

#4274932 - 06/30/16 08:35 PM Re: VR support not actually working. [Re: crustybun]  
Toxin_1 Offline
Toxin_1  Offline

Still very early days for VR support and devs seem to really want to continue developing for the Vive. I am happy they released the VR implementation even though it is not optimized yet. Ive managed to get my OR CV1 to at least get into the cockpit and fly around without the headtracking so far... more testing to come. Hang in there... salute

#4274942 - 06/30/16 09:09 PM Re: VR support not actually working. [Re: crustybun]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet

#4275062 - 07/01/16 09:17 AM Re: VR support not actually working. [Re: crustybun]  
Purg Offline
Purg  Offline

I hope they continue to flesh it out.. then get it working on the Rift also. wink

#4275181 - 07/01/16 04:30 PM Re: VR support not actually working. [Re: Purg]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Originally Posted By: Purg
I hope they continue to flesh it out.. then get it working on the Rift also. wink

The issue with Rift is the game engine be in DirectX9, no longer supported by Rift.

#4275358 - 07/02/16 08:47 AM Re: VR support not actually working. [Re: Toxin_1]  
crustybun Offline
crustybun  Offline

Wiltshire
Originally Posted By: Toxin_1
Still very early days for VR support and devs seem to really want to continue developing for the Vive. I am happy they released the VR implementation even though it is not optimized yet. Ive managed to get my OR CV1 to at least get into the cockpit and fly around without the headtracking so far... more testing to come. Hang in there... salute

Agree. It's good they're developing it. Just a shame they haven't got it working in direct mode.

I thought the lack of direct mode was a consequence of using DX9 but apparently not. Nolimits2 runs on DX9 and that works fine in the Vive's normal Direct Mode.

#4275359 - 07/02/16 08:49 AM Re: VR support not actually working. [Re: Sokol1]  
crustybun Offline
crustybun  Offline

Wiltshire
Originally Posted By: Sokol1

The issue with Rift is the game engine be in DirectX9, no longer supported by Rift.

That's strange. I'm pretty sure nolimits 2 uses DX9 (it comes with that redist and doesn't run unless DX9 installed) and it runs on CV1 and now Vive.

#4275367 - 07/02/16 10:04 AM Re: VR support not actually working. [Re: Sokol1]  
crustybun Offline
crustybun  Offline

Wiltshire

Interesting... It seems he is able to run it a bit more smoothly than me. For me it's unplayable. I have a faster GPU but my CPU is much older. Seems like my CPU might be holding me back.

#4276337 - 07/06/16 01:14 AM Re: VR support not actually working. [Re: crustybun]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
The VR mode looks great, but in most cases it doesn't seem to run at the right framerate for the head tracking, probably because retroprojection doesn't kick in when needs to keep the head movements in sync with 90fps.

I've experimented a bit and turned on the forced "always on retro projection" option, as well as actually forcing IL2 to a 45 fps limit, which should be feasible and the right spot to force retro projection - not ideal but if retro projection worked it should have produced relatively smooth head movements (at the cost of artefacts though). That didn't work, it still very much felt like what I was experiencing was 45 fps for everything, rendering and head movements, so either the fps was even lower than that or retro projection wasn't kicking in. There's an option to display some of the performance stats in the hmd while in VR so I'll do that next.

It's also possible that there's a bug where the hdm syncs at the monitor refresh rate - that used to happen in the non direct mode days of the Oculus DK2. Direct mode would fix that. So here's hoping that they had a (or some) dev(s) working on it!

#4277038 - 07/08/16 12:43 AM Re: VR support not actually working. [Re: Sokol1]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada

DX9 isn't supported by Oculus, but that doesn't mean that BOS can't implement support for the Rift. Oculus dropped DX9 support because it was easier to get VR to work more effectively with later DX versions. You can have the best VR headset, but VR could be killed by bad VR software, especially when the software wasn't built specifically for VR. BUT after Oculus dropped support for DX9 games, they developed ATW software which should really help less optimized DX9 games work more effectively, IF those games can run close to 90fps. Complex flight sims are usually challenged in that regard. Hopefully the find a way to support the Rift as its the HMD of choice for most in cockpit games. Example, a youtube video from UKRifter, who owns the DK1, DK2, CVI, and Vive. He loves both the Vive and Rift, but uses only the Rift for all cockpit type games, and Vive for roomscale games for a number of reasons, some specified in the video.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#4278524 - 07/12/16 09:05 PM Re: VR support not actually working. [Re: crustybun]  
Duchess Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')
Duchess  Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')

Ontariariooo
Hmm...

I'd love to try it out with my Vive but I'm not willing to shell out the cash since WarThunder works great.

Guess I'll wait a bit.

#4278652 - 07/13/16 11:53 AM Re: VR support not actually working. [Re: crustybun]  
Valar Offline
Valar  Offline

Europe
I played with BOS all night yesterday and it was great.

I'm on a Vive with a GTX 1080 card.

#4278831 - 07/14/16 01:17 AM Re: VR support not actually working. [Re: crustybun]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
Interesting Valar - if you played all night I'm guessing you had no judder at all. I wonder whether it's simply the GTX 1080 making it cross the line at a constant 90fps or whether there's something else that makes it work for you.

GTX 980 here with overclocked i7 3930K @ 4.4 Ghz but I seem to be stuck at low fps and retro projection doesn't kick in as it should - could be performance, could by some sort of issue with non-direct mode imposing a max fps on the Vive which isn't 90fps - these sort of bugs happened during the non-direct mode era of SteamVR: for a while I couldn't get E:D to run without severe judder and it turns out there was a bug which made steamVR run at low fps due to a weird interaction with my monitor. It could be the same sort of thing or performance. I might find out soon if I end up ordering GTX 1080s at work - they might end up temporarily in my home PC, but it will be for Science!

#4281594 - 07/24/16 07:31 PM Re: VR support not actually working. [Re: Valar]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Originally Posted By: Valar
I played with BOS all night yesterday and it was great.

I'm on a Vive with a GTX 1080 card.

How exactly did you get the vive to work? It's the only game I have that wont work. P3d is great, DCS is great BoS just wont work. What settings did you use and how exactly did you get I to work?

Last edited by Johnny_Redd; 07/24/16 07:32 PM.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4281669 - 07/25/16 12:53 AM Re: VR support not actually working. [Re: crustybun]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
Yep, I'be curious to know how Valar did it indeed. I could launch the Vive in VR but it was a juddery mess - it's possible Valar's GTX 1080 gave him the extra fps to reach 90 fps without any retro projection while my GTX980 can't pull that

#4283294 - 07/31/16 12:16 AM Re: VR support not actually working. [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Originally Posted By: FlyingMonkey
Yep, I'be curious to know how Valar did it indeed. I could launch the Vive in VR but it was a juddery mess - it's possible Valar's GTX 1080 gave him the extra fps to reach 90 fps without any retro projection while my GTX980 can't pull that

Ok I got it to work. Heres what I did
Uninstalled then re installed BoS
In Steam VR settings
Developer
Disable Direct Mode
And check "Enable Always-on Reprojection"
In
/1C Game Studios/Il-2/Data
open Startup.cfg
or_enable = 1
or_fov_gui = 0.5
or_fov_h = 1.00000
or_fov_v = 1.00000
or_height = 1680
or_ipd = 0.06220
or_lens_offs = 0.02891
or_width = 1512
The GUI is garbage. Unlike other VR programs the GUI will follow your head movements. Very hard to use.
Also I found myself having to re-hit the il2 taskbar button as I'd hit the mouse outside of the il2 desktop display.
Its not perfect but ingame it's actually pretty good. I've found it smoother than DCS, less flickering.
With all VR I think with programs like BoS where the textures are of a lower resolution it actualy helps with the current low resolution VR displays. I hope you get it working and I hope this helps

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4283406 - 07/31/16 12:09 PM Re: VR support not actually working. [Re: crustybun]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
Thanks for the details. Unfortunately, I've got the same settings, including the always on retroprojection which I thought would solve the juddering issues - I can make it start in VR, no problem, but once in a mission when I look around it's juddering like hell. I checked my GPU and CPU performance and in fact it's not maxing them at all, far from it, and the Vive performance tools don't show skipped frame either, instead it looks like it's not syncing at the correct fps - and this part is not necessarily surprising as I had issues with non-direct mode and steamVR in the past where it did exactly that because of some bugs where the monitor setting interfere with the hmd. I guess I'll have to wait for when they'll start using direct mode properly

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.