Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4274697 - 06/29/16 11:30 PM Help: been 20years - which modern flight sim for me... a Dad  
DocACE911 Offline
DocACE911  Offline

Thank you everyone in advance - i am sure you get these all the time. I have been lurking in forums and drooling at screen shots for 20 years.

I used to actually beta test for Jane's adn Andy Hollis (Apache), EF2000 (anyone remember "LawnDarting(tm)" bug?), TAW, and some activision games. At my height I had (still have) the original thrusmaster sticks with that ancient joystick plug.

I also loved Jane's Sims and the arcade ones too.

Why I loved EF2000/TAW:

Dynamic Campaign. The idea in these missions what you did and your AI counterparts mattered - why I obsessively tried to help DID figure out why your AI buddies would commit suicide.

So what I want: Amazing 2016 graphics (eye candy) adn EF2000/TAW.  Some learning curve, but minimal. Good flight model but no need to press 100 buttons to start the engine, but want the physics modeled fairly well (no ACE combat)

I think Flaming Cliffs 3 would be too daunting. I doubt could run that with a gamepad like a xbox?

System:

i7/3770

16GB

GTX970

70" TV

Wireless Gamepad (XBOX), Wierles Keyboard and mouse. X52 in a box! Never used!

I found my x45 in a sealed box! I have that also. Maybe could get a long USB to my couch...

Any suggestions?? For sure modern combat...

#4274723 - 06/30/16 01:45 AM Re: Help: been 20years - which modern flight sim for me... a Dad [Re: DocACE911]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

I really don't think there is any simgame of today that can match what DID produced.
Flying Cold War Era in SF2 (Strike Fighters 2) seems to be the sweetspot from your description.

At the same time I'd guess Flaming Cliffs 3 should be OK for you, not really very complex planes but the DCS environment will not give you what you expect coming from classics such as EF2000 and Jane's.

The closest simgame to produce the environment would be Falcon 4 BMS but that one has a serious learning curve and should fall short on that for you.

So if Cold War is "modern" enough, SF2 is your target but if newer jets are your taste I'd say FC3 is your best choice (and don't worry about learning curve on those) even though a somewhat limited hangar of planes.

#4274766 - 06/30/16 06:24 AM Re: Help: been 20years - which modern flight sim for me... a Dad [Re: DocACE911]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
You may also want to check out Combat Air Patrol 2. Beware that it is currently still in early access beta, but it looks like it will have a fair amount of realism combined with an interesting dynamic campaign.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
#4274954 - 06/30/16 10:00 PM Re: Help: been 20years - which modern flight sim for me... a Dad [Re: Johan217]  
DocACE911 Offline
DocACE911  Offline

Originally Posted By: Johan217
You may also want to check out Combat Air Patrol 2. Beware that it is currently still in early access beta, but it looks like it will have a fair amount of realism combined with an interesting dynamic campaign.

OMG they even have "eye candy" on the web site. Look stunning. 3 flight modes, wow.

Have you tried it?

#4274955 - 06/30/16 10:02 PM Re: Help: been 20years - which modern flight sim for me... a Dad [Re: theOden]  
DocACE911 Offline
DocACE911  Offline

Originally Posted By: theOden
I really don't think there is any simgame of today that can match what DID produced.
Flying Cold War Era in SF2 (Strike Fighters 2) seems to be the sweetspot from your description.

At the same time I'd guess Flaming Cliffs 3 should be OK for you, not really very complex planes but the DCS environment will not give you what you expect coming from classics such as EF2000 and Jane's.

The closest simgame to produce the environment would be Falcon 4 BMS but that one has a serious learning curve and should fall short on that for you.

So if Cold War is "modern" enough, SF2 is your target but if newer jets are your taste I'd say FC3 is your best choice (and don't worry about learning curve on those) even though a somewhat limited hangar of planes.

Has strike fighter 2 become a mobile game?

So the FC3 will not be too hard? The other DCS seems pretty complex.

Are those campaigns dynamic? I was looking at steam (funny btw, the poster started talking about how cool EF2000 was!) http://steamcommunity.com/app/223750/discussions/0/810938082454643881/

And it looks like DCS CAN be dynamic but its not?

Last edited by DocACE911; 06/30/16 10:04 PM.
#4274983 - 07/01/16 12:20 AM Re: Help: been 20years - which modern flight sim for me... a Dad [Re: DocACE911]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
^ Something you might want to consider, and just take it for what it's worth, but you might want to take a look at the ARMA series, especially ARMA 3. You can get the whole collection on Steam for very cheap right now.

There are some "dynamic missions" available, but nothing like a dynamic campaign in the sense you're describing. But there is a lifetime of missions available in the Steam workshop, and on modding sites.

The helicopters is particular are a blast to fly. When you get competent, multiplayer on King of the Hill will really put you to the test.

Otherwise, I just don't think there is a sim that checks your blocks. If you're looking for dynamic it's really BMS or bust, and BMS is going to be too complex by far given your criteria. Strike Fighters 2 is a lot of fun, and not too hard, but not really a gamepad sim.

You can fly ARMA on a gamepad, or by keyboard if you prefer. I use a HOTAS, but you don't have to.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#4275045 - 07/01/16 06:45 AM Re: Help: been 20years - which modern flight sim for me... a Dad [Re: DocACE911]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
Originally Posted By: DocACE911
[quote=Johan217]Have you tried it?
I haven't blush Hence the "early access" disclaimer wink Still worth to keep an eye on how it develops.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
#4275137 - 07/01/16 02:36 PM Re: Help: been 20years - which modern flight sim for me... a Dad [Re: Johan217]  
DocACE911 Offline
DocACE911  Offline

Yeah, looks like no AI yet. but screen shots look stunning - and there is a gamepad mode!

Thanks for all the help.

I may try FC3.... only $25 on steam summer sale now.

#4275207 - 07/01/16 06:36 PM Re: Help: been 20years - which modern flight sim for me... a Dad [Re: DocACE911]  
KeyCat Offline
KeyCat  Offline

Sweden
I may try FC3.... only $25 on steam summer sale now.

For that price you can't go wrong.

/KC

>> It's all about teamwork! <<
#4275293 - 07/01/16 11:31 PM Re: Help: been 20years - which modern flight sim for me... a Dad [Re: DocACE911]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Try to advertise your intentions on the For Sale forums first. Someone might happily sell you their copy of FC3 for less. biggrin

- Ice
#4275427 - 07/02/16 02:50 PM Re: Help: been 20years - which modern flight sim for me... a Dad [Re: DocACE911]  
rollnloop. Online content
rollnloop.  Online Content

France
A player with your tastes should enjoy Strike Fighters 2. Dynamic campaign, different settings to suit different players and controllers, huge number of aircraft, tons of mods, campaigns from 1950s to current.

Downside is it ain't cheap, because to really enjoy both the huge quantity and the mods you need to buy 5 games (standard SF2, Vietnam, Europe, Israël, North Atlantic). There are also DLCs but they're optional for most modded campaigns.

https://store.thirdwire.com/store_w7_all.htm

Find videos on youtube showing gameplay.

#4275520 - 07/02/16 08:47 PM Re: Help: been 20years - which modern flight sim for me... a Dad [Re: DocACE911]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

I'm a long time simmer as well; I started with the original F-15 Strike Eagle for the Atari 800, then moved on to Gunship (the original Andy Holis Apache sim).

You have plenty of options available, but none of them are going to give you EF2000 in a high quality engine.
  • CAP2 shows a lot of promise, but there are still plenty of bugs to work out.
  • Strike Fighters 2 has the dynamic mission generator and a lot of single player goodness, but dated graphics and no multiplayer.
  • Falcon BMS has the best dynamic campaign ever, but it's a steep learning curve and the graphics are showing some age as well. Multiplayer in a campaign is a blast.
  • DCS with Nevada has the best graphics in a flight sim right now, but has scripted missions/campaigns and relies on talented mission builders for immersion. However, FC3 aside you also have the Falcon BMS learning curve.
  • EF2000 Reloaded (tooting my own horn biggrin ). If you still have any DOS version of EF2000 (especially 3DFX) you can run it on a modern system and even do multiplayer using the built-in IPX emulation. You're still getting the 1997 version though.

For single player, like rollnloop I would start with Strike Fighters 2. Pick a conflict or aircraft set that interests you. Vietnam includes some good aircraft (F-4, A-4, A-7, F-100, etc.) and some of the best mods around that will transform the experience. As much as I love North Atlantic (F-14 and A-7), it's not a great one to start with because you only get those 2 aircraft (whereas with the others you get lots of aircraft to fly). If you like the A-6, I did a mod a while back that allows you to fly most of the A-6 variants in SF2V and SF2NA with a lot of graphical and gameplay enhancements.

Another idea: download DCS World and give the Su-25T a spin. It is not a turner and burner and it is a challenge to fly and fight, but if you can grasp the controls you'll have no problem with Flaming Cliffs 3. If you want 2016 eye candy, ED has the Huey and the Nevada scenery on sale this weekend (though for now you need to downlod a different version of DCS to use Nevada; probably will be this way for another month or so). What DCS also gives you is the ability to fly completely different aircraft (and even ground units to a light degree) in the same sim and online, so you could be in a Huey dropping troops while someone else in an A-10 provides cover. Not all of the modules are difficult to learn, but they are realistic (warts and all). For example, the Huey is easy systems (7 mouse clicks to engine start), but is very tough to learn how to fly. However, I can't go back to helicopter sims I used to think were realistic after flying the Huey.

Welcome back!

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#4275864 - 07/04/16 03:15 PM Re: Help: been 20years - which modern flight sim for me... a Dad [Re: DocACE911]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

Strike Fighters 2 is your best current option.

But honestly nothing really compares to the fun of the golden days of flight simming.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#4276209 - 07/05/16 07:59 PM Re: Help: been 20years - which modern flight sim for me... a Dad [Re: DocACE911]  
DocACE911 Offline
DocACE911  Offline

I thougth FC3 was digital only? One time key use? No?

#4276276 - 07/05/16 10:05 PM Re: Help: been 20years - which modern flight sim for me... a Dad [Re: DocACE911]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

I thougth FC3 was digital only? One time key use? No?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. It is digital (downloaded from within DCS World), but you get a key with repeat activations (not unlimited, but you start at 10 and when you run out you automatically get one every 30 days), and the activations are in the registry so you can uninstall/reinstall DCS and the activation will still be there. You can also remove activations to restore your total, and apparently the support is good about adding more activations if you need them now.

Whether you use the Steam version or ED's version with the built-in module manager, module installation is now fairly transparent.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#4276885 - 07/07/16 05:51 PM Re: Help: been 20years - which modern flight sim for me... a Dad [Re: DocACE911]  
DocACE911 Offline
DocACE911  Offline

Thanks for all the help. So looks like I should start with F4 phantoms in strike fighter Vietnam and addon from there if I like it? I can then download highter quality models correct?

Btw, I got my Saitek x45 that was NEVER used working in Windows 10 x64 smile

So can play from my couch now (I have na HTPC/70" TV/7 feet away)

THank you to everyone.

DocACE911 in teh skies.... the bringing back lawndarting(tm)

#4276886 - 07/07/16 05:52 PM Re: Help: been 20years - which modern flight sim for me... a Dad [Re: DocACE911]  
DocACE911 Offline
DocACE911  Offline

SO for Strike Fighters 2, do the addon planes people have made (like EF2000) work with certain versions?

Like for NATO fighter addon (that looks amazing)

one must buy
http://combatace.com/topic/74754-nato-fighters-5-part-1-of-8/

SF2 VERSION: Strike Fighters 2 Europe (SF2E), plus
Strike Fighters 2 Israel (SF2I), plus
Expansion Pack 1 (SF2I Exp1), plus
Expansion Pack 2 (SF2E Exp2)
PATCH LEVEL: Mar2012 or higher

So that is $90 worth of downloads.. I wish Thirdwire had a "game of the year" version!

Last edited by DocACE911; 07/07/16 05:56 PM.
#4276888 - 07/07/16 05:56 PM Re: Help: been 20years - which modern flight sim for me... a Dad [Re: DocACE911]  
DocACE911 Offline
DocACE911  Offline

For SF2 - anyone ever see this on sale? Or just pay the $90 to get started?

#4276955 - 07/07/16 08:36 PM Re: Help: been 20years - which modern flight sim for me... a Dad [Re: DocACE911]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

You don't normally see sales, especially since there's no DRM of any kind on the game. However, SF2V and the original SF2 are both discounted right now. Many would argue that SF2V (at least modded) is the best of the bunch. Once upon a time, they had a combined package for a reduced price, but that was more of an anniversary promotion, and now everything integrates anyway.

I would pick up SF2V and perhaps SF2 to see if you like it. Then go with the others. The great thing about the SF2 series is that it integrates its versions, so if you get SF2V and SF2 you get all aircraft and both maps with the same executable. Add SF2NA to that mix and you can fly the F-14 over Vietnam (not far fetched; they did cover the evacuation of Saigon). I also highly recommend the SF2V Air & Ground War Expansion Pack (this is 1 of 4 and there's another patch), which adds a bunch of flyable aircraft (including the A-6), really turns the AAA up to 11 and makes it a completely different game. You need only SF2V to try this out.

BTW, NATO Fighters is an awesome total conversion, and if you like SF2 it will be worth buying the others.

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.