Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4271879 - 06/20/16 08:01 PM Airco DH.2 Tips for a beginner?  
Mortuus Offline
Mortuus  Offline

Ottawa, ON
Hey folks,

This is both an introduction and a plea for help, I think. I recently started playing WoFF, and the only other flight sim I have a respectable amount of time in is RoF, although I could hardly be called great at either.

Anyway, I've started a mid-1916 career in which I am flying the DH.2, and I've been having some trouble with the kite. Once I get up around 10,000 feet, I can't keep up enough airspeed to maintain altitude, and end up falling further and further below my flight unless I turn on the AI pilot. I assume there's some engine mismanagement on my part causing this, but can't for the life of me figure out.

I've also been having trouble in combat, probably because the DH2 is so different from the Pup I favoured previously. I figure this is just a matter of getting used to the plane, but any tips would be appreciated- the plane seems pretty stall-happy, especially in a turn. I think it's being cause by excessive AoA on the wings when I roll, but I'm not certain. If I'm right, is there a better way to make a relatively tight turn? Thus far, fights seem to involve me manoeuvring, stalling, recovering, and then finding the Boche even more solidly on my tail then before.

Thanks very much for any help you can provide,

-CM

#4271889 - 06/20/16 08:35 PM Re: Airco DH.2 Tips for a beginner? [Re: Mortuus]  
Stache Offline
Stache  Offline

Michigan, USA
Hi Mortuus,

Welcome, glad to have you join us.
What version of WOFF are you on.

Though I have never flown the DH2, I would suspect mixture Control which is set to manual control by default in the settings.

I would set that to Auto and see if it helps.
(I am assuming the DH2 uses mixture control.)

Too much rudder in turns can cause a loss of speed while turning, leading to stalling.

What are you using for controls? Stick, Throttle, Pedals, TrackIR ?

You will find this AI much more challenging than the AI in ROF.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. A. Einstein

(System Specs:)

I7-6700k OC 4.4GHZ, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz; Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB, G1 OC'ed GTX980ti; Three-Acer XB271HU WQHD Gsync 144Mhz; Samsung 950-512GB NVMe SSD; WD 2TB-7200rpm; Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Nepton 240M cooler, V1000 PS; Windows 10 PRO; VKB GunfighterPro Stick; Thrustmaster TPR Pedals; Saitek Throttle; Dual TM MFD panels; TrackIR 5; Windows 10 v1909
#4271905 - 06/20/16 09:25 PM Re: Airco DH.2 Tips for a beginner? [Re: Mortuus]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Welcome to WOFF, Mortuus.

To understand the "weakness" of some WW1 planes compared to others, you must be aware
that the development of flight and combat aircraft was in it's baby years; but growing rapidly.
That means, that a craft which was introduced in May, might have been obsolete
already in September the same year.
The earlier planes were even much more underpowered than the later ones, and flying an
underpowered Airco DH.2 in combat required much more of a pilot than flying the S.E.5a,
one of the most powerful WW1 fighters.

You need to care about the "energy" of the kite in climbs, and especially in combat turns.
Don't turn with the nose above the horizon; rather push it down to gain speed, before you
turn. If you cannot keep a climbing enemy aircraft in your crosshair - drop the idea,
and think of a move that may get you into a better - or safer - position.

The Halberstadt will make your life as a DH.2 pilot hard; but when the Albatros D.I and D.II
appear - damn, then it will get really dangerous, and you should hope to receive a better
mount soon. Good luck, Sir!

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4271918 - 06/20/16 10:03 PM Re: Airco DH.2 Tips for a beginner? [Re: Stache]  
Mortuus Offline
Mortuus  Offline

Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted By: Stache

What version of WOFF are you on.

Though I have never flown the DH2, I would suspect mixture Control which is set to manual control by default in the settings.

I would set that to Auto and see if it helps.
(I am assuming the DH2 uses mixture control.)

Too much rudder in turns can cause a loss of speed while turning, leading to stalling.

What are you using for controls? Stick, Throttle, Pedals, TrackIR ?

Thanks for the advice! I'm on WOFF 2 right now, and probably going to pick up 3 when I next get paid. I also suspected mixture to be the cause of my altitude issue, but I didn't notice I could set it to automatic; I'll try that and see if I can't narrow down the issue.

For controls, right now I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and CH Pro Throttle. My next goal, hardware-wise, is some kind of head tracking. TrackIR looks nice, but it's kinda expensive, so I think I'll probably go with FreeTrack-especially since making my own LED clip lets me play with electricity!

And thanks to you as well, Olham - keeping my nose up was exactly the issue. I just loaded up a QC to try and it went much better.

Last edited by Mortuus; 06/20/16 10:07 PM.
#4271922 - 06/20/16 10:27 PM Re: Airco DH.2 Tips for a beginner? [Re: Mortuus]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Hey Mortuus, you might want to try dropping the joystick scale under the advanced settings in the workshop, that helped me with stalling...

Here's a link on FaceTrackNoIR, which worked surprisingly well for me...

Welcome aboard!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4271969 - 06/21/16 06:51 AM Re: Airco DH.2 Tips for a beginner? [Re: Mortuus]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Mortuus
And thanks to you as well, Olham - keeping my nose up was exactly the issue.

The "energy management" of underpowered WW1 aircraft is a bit like sitting on a swing:
you have to go down a bit, to be able to get up again.
If you remember that, it should be helpful.
(You may still get shot down by a stronger craft though...)

Originally Posted By: Mortuus
...I'll probably go with FreeTrack-especially since making my own LED clip lets me play with electricity!

Good chances for getting it right then, I guess.
Once you have got used to flying with a tracking device, you will not want it any other way again - it simply puts you into the cockpit!
Maybe you can get a second hand TrackIR 4 cheaper?
They work with the TrackIR 5 software. This allows you to make your own profile.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM