Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 23 24
#4261323 - 05/18/16 04:25 AM Lafayette Escadrille Challenge *****  
Rick_Rawlings Online content
Rick_Rawlings  Online Content

Alright, alright, alright:

Welcome to the Wings Over Flanders Fields Lafayette Escadrille Challenge!

The assistance and camaraderie that you get from something like this or Olham's DiD campaign or the Centenary Challenge if you are new to WOFF will help increase your enjoyment of the sim and make you a better pilot as well.

Here's a look at our previous challenges if you missed them!
Eindecker Challenge Yes, this was a thing...
Revenge of Der Flieger
Bloody April
SPAD Challenge
Circus Challenge Where we all learned to skin...
Brisfit Challenge
Final Challenge *cough*
Anniversary Challenge
Albatros Dos
Sopwith Challenge

For this challenge, you will be flying for France as an American in the Lafayette Escadrille!

In order to participate in this challenge you must:
1. Declare your interest and intent in this thread on or before Saturday, May 28, 2016.
2. Create a pilot using the manual squad creation option with a start date of May 15, 1917, flying for France in the Escadrille Lafayette (scroll all the way down) as a Caporal.
3. Commit to flying 3-7 missions per week with this pilot, but no more than one per campaign day.
4. Report at least every weekend in this topic thread with his current successes or failures.
5. Faithfully communicate to your brethren the falling of your avatar when such event actually transpires.
6. Having a slightly snobby New Englandish name is always a plus!

Please enter your pilot at this link:
( Pilot Survey )
Please update this survey after every few missions, or at least once a week!

This is kind of a "Who's Line Is It Anyway" sort of affair where we try to have fun with good people.
Reporting can be by any of the following methods:
-Text is good
-Pictures are better
-Videos are what this sim is made for!

There were some great reports and pictures and vids in the previous challenges, so look over them if you want some ideas!

This is single elimination, so one death and you are out. Keep in mind that even if you are not playing "dead is dead" in the workshop, at the end of each mission it will still tell you that "Sadly, your pilot has died" if his injuries were fatal so you don't need to switch your settings for this. If you land behind enemy lines with less than DID workshop settings, use these guidelines: in or on the edge of No Man’s Land, you escape. Within 5 miles of the front, 50-50 (flip a coin). More than 5 miles behind the lines, you are captured, war over!

When you set up your pilot, click on "Manual Squad Deployment" in the lower right hand corner of the enlistment page. Set up the following screen so it looks like this:

Scoring:

Missions: +2 point each
Time survived: +2 points each week
Confirmed kill: +3 points each
Becoming an ace: +5 points (only once)
Promotion: +5 points each promotion
Medals: +3 points each
Survive to end of Challenge: +10 points
Wounding: -8 points each occurrence

This challenge will have a have a hard end date of Sunday, June 26. That gives us four weeks and a day. You can have a maximum of 30 missions total. Then we can tally the points and declare a winner. You are certainly free to continue to fly your pilot after that if still alive, but for point determination, we need a cut-off date.

The Fine Print: (Rules)
You may use whatever aids you are used to using. Wind should be set to “On”. Please set your weather to “Historical Weather.” Flight model should be realistic and you should have weapons jams and limited ammo and all that jazz...
One other point: I think we can all agree that balloons are too easy to take down as it stands, so on your Gentleman’s Honour, you may only claim a balloon if you are on a balloon busting mission and only the one that is the mission target.
Feel free to lead your flights if you want!

The point is to have fun and we had outstanding support and sportsmanship from all fliers last time and we would love to see some new faces!

As far as time advancement, please follow these guidelines:

Allow time to advance as normal except fly no more than one mission per campaign day (time advance manually as necessary)
For every month of campaign time, you can advance two days on the calendar. (48hr pass to visit mum)
For every promotion, advance five campaign days.
For every five kills, advance 3 campaign days.
For becoming an ace, advance 3 campaign days (cumulative with 5 kills above)

*After each mission, please advance forward 2 days. (so you would fly on the third day) This will allow for moving forward in time a little bit further and spread out our collective awesomeness to a more believable level. These missed days will represent non-contact patrols, milk runs to pick up new planes, washouts, etc. Follow all other time advancements as above.

At the end of the challenge, I will tabulate the winning pilot overall and declare him king of all things WOFF!
I have a prize idea, I just have to see if I can make it work. Remember though, your first job is to stay alive! You can’t win if you are dead! I have, in fact, died in most of my own callenges!

Louvert has, as he is wont to do, created a terrific medal for the participants of this challenge!

We are starting with the Nieuport 17 and then the N23 (they use the same skin, just a re-name) and several of us should survive to get Spad 7, so please paint your scout early and often! I know we are all looking forward to some inspired schemes!
(I’m not going to lie… those first 10 missions or so are going to be brutal when we have Nupes and everyone else has SPADS, so BE CAREFUL and patient and good things will (eventually) come!)

Here's a link to Skinning Tutorial if you need it!

Official challenge start time is Saturday, May 28 whenever that starts local to you, grab some QC time in your birds and we’ll be (W)OFF!

I will update this area with pilots and scores as the challenge progresses, so you can always check here for the latest info…

List of Pilots:
lederhosen
Banjoman
loftyc
Rick Rawlings
carrick58
gaw1
Stache
rtoolooze262
RAF Louvert
HarryH
MudWasp
CCIP
Fullofit
Robert Wiggins
CatKnight
MFair
CW3SF
LowDrag
Maeran
Nietzsche

Strikethrough indicates a pilot's demise, d.n.p. = did not participate, number to the right of the pilot is the final score

Last edited by Rick_Rawlings; 06/27/16 10:20 PM.

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4261355 - 05/18/16 10:07 AM Re: C'mon Rick Rawlings, get off your duff! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

"Ziss iss ridiculous! Tyranny?!? Vee do not vant der Tyranny eizher! Ant who iss der Hitler anyway?!?"

So, we are the Badies again, eyh? The Huns...
Oh well, we are used to playing that role, I guess, and one must admit: we play it with style!

Well, your video is quite tongue-in-cheek also about Americans and Canadians - had to laugh!
Well made funny little campaign video, Rick!

I'll read the rules, but it looks like I'd have to fight in a "French flying welding mask"?
Guess I'm spoiled with the vision I have in an Albatros.
I'll think about it, and check out the Nupe - have never flown the N17 for above reason.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4261391 - 05/18/16 12:48 PM Re: C'mon Rick Rawlings, get off your duff! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  

Sorry, Olham, I hope it came across as silly not offensive! I do have some ideas to get the Germans back in the driver's seat, although you may not be too thrilled about the mount of choice... winkngrin Anyway, would always love to have you on board! salute

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4261401 - 05/18/16 01:23 PM Re: C'mon Rick Rawlings, get off your duff! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Rick_Rawlings
Sorry, Olham, I hope it came across as silly not offensive!

Sure - that's why I added the smileys.
Otherwise I would have PMed you a bomb! Mmuahahahahaaa!!! biggrin

#4261404 - 05/18/16 01:43 PM Re: C'mon Rick Rawlings, get off your duff! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
Well, as a Canadian, I'm a little upset about that video, so I guess I'm in just to show you Yanks how this sort of thing is done, ehh.
yeah like give me a two four, put me in a plane and then point me in the right direction ehh. So, we going to fight in Quebec then?
Whats the Hun doing in Quebec dude?

Last edited by lederhosen; 05/18/16 01:45 PM.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4261418 - 05/18/16 02:13 PM Re: C'mon Rick Rawlings, get off your duff! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Rick, with a video like that you can definitely count me in. That was so funny. rofl

Last edited by Banjoman; 05/18/16 02:13 PM.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4261428 - 05/18/16 02:33 PM Re: C'mon Rick Rawlings, get off your duff! [Re: lederhosen]  

Originally Posted By: lederhosen
Well, as a Canadian, I'm a little upset about that video, so I guess I'm in just to show you Yanks how this sort of thing is done, ehh.
yeah like give me a two four, put me in a plane and then point me in the right direction ehh. So, we going to fight in Quebec then?
Whats the Hun doing in Quebec dude?

I know, I had to get the McKenzie Brothers in there! We can put on our flying tuques and meet in front of the Frontenac at dawn. (I had no idea that a tuque was a beanie until I saw the animated 12 days a few years ago. I had been singing it for 30 years having no idea what that lyric meant!)

#4261449 - 05/18/16 03:44 PM Re: C'mon Rick Rawlings, get off your duff! [Re: lederhosen]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: lederhosen
...give me a two four, put me in a plane and then point me in the right direction ehh.
So, we going to fight in Quebec then? Whats the Hun doing in Quebec dude?

Mmuahahahahaaa!!!

#4261531 - 05/18/16 07:54 PM Re: C'mon Rick Rawlings, get off your duff! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
loftyc Offline
loftyc  Offline

yayyy!

I bet, if asked, 99% of my (American) high school students would say that they don't know which state the city of Armenia is in.
(no kidding, I once asked them to name a country that starts with a "d", and among the answers was "Delaware" and "Denver.")

read this:
http://www.theonion.com/article/officials-starting-think-school-just-not-nations-t-52820

as far as the challenge goes, of course I'll fly (and probably die, too. I can't see around Noop wings and windshield frames either, Olham)

#4261542 - 05/18/16 08:53 PM Re: C'mon Rick Rawlings, get off your duff! [Re: loftyc]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: loftyc
I can't see around Noop wings and windshield frames either, Olham)

Are you suggesting that we should die TOGETHER, loftyc? laser

#4261547 - 05/18/16 09:08 PM Re: C'mon Rick Rawlings, get off your duff! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  

Actually, I think the SPAD windscreen is worse... Need a constant squeegee on that bad boy!

#4261626 - 05/19/16 03:56 AM Re: C'mon Rick Rawlings, get off your duff! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

popcorn

Count me in ! Thanks for linking the skinning tutorial, I still cant seem to get the painting done so it looks well done and not by a 3 yr old. thumbsup

#4261639 - 05/19/16 05:30 AM Re: C'mon Rick Rawlings, get off your duff! [Re: carrick58]  

Originally Posted By: carrick58
popcorn

Count me in ! Thanks for linking the skinning tutorial, I still cant seem to get the painting done so it looks well done and not by a 3 yr old. thumbsup

Oh, come on, you had a lovely looking DVII going there with an almost dazzle paint look to it! Don't sell yourself short sir! And welcome aboard, it's always a pleasure to have you!

#4261690 - 05/19/16 12:00 PM Re: Lafayette Escadrille Challenge [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
gaw1 Offline
gaw1  Offline

Rick.......count me in pls! I've got a double challenge to work as my install CTW's every third game or so w/out credit for kills or the flight....something about admin rights I can't seem to resolve despite the devs kind efforts. Reinstalled, no mods.....bad luck. Anyhow, back to paint school when I'm home in a week. Thx for kicking another of these off.....good show!

#4261700 - 05/19/16 12:52 PM Re: Lafayette Escadrille Challenge [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  

Ha! I was wondering where you were, gaw1, I figured off on assignment in some exotic locale! I am sorry to hear about the crashes, I have gotten that kind of thing very rarely, but could never find any consistent reason, best of luck and welcome aboard!

#4261748 - 05/19/16 03:31 PM Re: C'mon Rick Rawlings, get off your duff! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Stache Offline
Stache  Offline

Michigan, USA
I am up for the challenge.

Sounds like fun, will see how long I can last.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. A. Einstein

(System Specs:)

I7-6700k OC 4.4GHZ, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz; Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB, G1 OC'ed GTX980ti; Three-Acer XB271HU WQHD Gsync 144Mhz; Samsung 950-512GB NVMe SSD; WD 2TB-7200rpm; Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Nepton 240M cooler, V1000 PS; Windows 10 PRO; VKB GunfighterPro Stick; Thrustmaster TPR Pedals; Saitek Throttle; Dual TM MFD panels; TrackIR 5; Windows 10 v1909
#4261811 - 05/19/16 06:30 PM Re: C'mon Rick Rawlings, get off your duff! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  

Welcome aboard!

#4261830 - 05/19/16 07:42 PM Re: C'mon Rick Rawlings, get off your duff! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

reading

OMG ! Getting Herr Olham out of an Albatross Scout ? This I gotta see. LOL thumbsup

#4261835 - 05/19/16 07:49 PM Re: C'mon Rick Rawlings, get off your duff! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

This will be my Ride in the event. I Cant really decide on a name as yet. Kinda like, Nathan Bedford Forrest or the popular Natty Bumpo ??

#4261875 - 05/19/16 09:50 PM Re: C'mon Rick Rawlings, get off your duff! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  

Heh, well, I suppose Hawkeye would be more acceptable to New England blue-bloods than Mr. Forrest...

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 23 24

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM