Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4269154 - 06/11/16 02:03 PM The Future of WOFF - One Players Opinion *****  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
What a long, incredible journey it has been so far.

Years ago when I first started looking for another WWI flight sim to scratch my RB3D itch, I had no idea I would stumble upon a little mod for CFS3 called Over Flanders Fields - Phase 2. Capt. Sopwith was kind enough to send me out a copy on CD and, like so many others, I was immediately hooked from the moment I first started flying. Planes, the squadrons, the attention to historical detail. No matter how long you flew it, OFF had a certain magic that just left you craving for more. The word spread about Phase 2 mostly through the efforts of the forum community. People like Capt. Sopwith would literally send out disks to those who were interested just to let them experience the cravings for themselves.

Fortunately for all of us, the developers felt that same craving and it wasn't too long after that that previews of a wonderous new Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven and Hell started showing up.

Tantalizing screen shots of a professional WWI flight sim product with a huge dynamic single player campaign that we could sink our virtual teeth into like never before. And we did. Countless hours leaning out to peer past the cowling and of rocking the wings left and right just to get a glimpse of the enemy that could be hiding anywhere. OFF had stepped into the prime time and was soon followed up with an expansion and patches after patches of not just bug fixes, but also new features and improvements.

But that still wasn't enough for OBD. After gifting us with the 1.32 Superpatch to give us a small preview of things to come, they went silent for a very long time. The wait seemed interminable. Maybe they had given up. Maybe it wasn't going to happen. Endless forum comments from die hard OFF fans gave the ritual answer of "Two weeks" to every inquiry of when the next version would be released. And then on May 14th, 2012 Wings Over Flanders Fields made it's first public preview appearance.

I must have watched the entire video 20 times. It was like a whole new world.

The music score was incredible! The scenery and terrain was stunning. The way the planes moved through the air looked so much more natural and life like. The Campaign Manager interface was polished and oozed with atmosphere of history. Waiting for the next Preview video became an obsession for many of us. If I had a dollar for every time I re-visited the page or hit the refresh button in hopes of catching sight of the next preview of WOFF, I think probably I would never have had to work again. And Polovoski delivered several such Preview videos, each teasing new bits of information and catching new glimpses of the world yet to come. Each one raising the anticipation even further until they almost reached unbearable levels.

But the wait wasn't forever - even if it felt like it at the time and more importantly - it was worth it. When WOFF was released, it was a lot like Christmas as a kid. I have often said and still believe to this day that the improved AI alone was worth the price of admission. How many of us sat wide eyed staring at the screen, nary blinking an eye for hours, just trying to soak in all the wonders of this incredible new sim. There were so many new features and many of us would only want to tear ourselves away from flying WOFF just long enough to share our experiences with each other on the forums. Every professional, in depth review was 5 stars and couldn't say enough positive things about WOFF. Praise was heaped upon the developers efforts - and deservedly so - even earning it a spot as one of the greatest war game simulators of all time.

It really was more than most of us could have ever imagined, but it seemed sometimes that the devs had tried to reach too high and accomplish too much.

With the new and improved visuals, there were also problems. Flying over the front caused micro-stutters during the campaigns and the community worked to isolate what the causes might be. As always, OBD released patches to address issues and one by one, in conjunction with players optimizing their system settings, performance kept improving. The modding community also stepped in and began offering mods as well. ArisFusers Cloud mod was so good that with his permission, OBD eventually integrated it into the sim!

Then came another huge leap. The Wings Over Flanders Fields 2 Expansion added DX9 support that simultaneously improved the visuals and performance at the same time by offloading some of the work from the CPU to the GPU. It was possible because another community member, AnKor, offered his talents to OBD that allowed them to do more with their heavily modded CFS3 engine than anyone though possible. Add on packs followed and professional reviews lavished yet more praise on the incredibly huge sim from the impossibly tiny little developer that seem to be fueled entirely by passion. The fan base grew and the community responded by welcoming new members and helping them to get acclimated to "the meat grinder." The community had to be friendly because with the new AI, the skies certainly were not!

Then a poll post was made in the forums by the devs asking who would buy a WOFF 3 Expansion if it was produced. It was stated that if they built it, it would be the last major upgrade to the WOFF engine. While the forum community debated the additional costs and potential benefits for quite some time, by the time the poll was finished there was overwhelming support for a WOFF 3. Good thing, too because when it was released WOFF 3 brought an unprecedented level of immersion to the sim with highly improved damage visuals, especially inside the cockpit itself along with many other benefits. The community voiced concerns about certain campaign features and OBD responded by tailoring them to be as requested. As always, the forum community and the developer worked together offerings ideas and implementation in order to keep WOFF as the premier single player WWI flight sim on the market.

Not every difference will be worked out, nor should they be, however OBDs record as a developer that is responsive to the forum communities thoughts is set firmly in the concrete of patches throughout the life of WOFF that literally number in the hundreds of bug fixes, improvements and new features.

At long last, here we stand now at least 10 years from the start of it all at patch 3.6 of the Wings Over Flanders Fields WWI flight simulator. While the scope of WWI is so huge that it is impossible for any simulator to be "complete", it is fair to say that WOFFs 70+ flyable aircraft, massive number of squadrons, thousands of historically accurate paint jobs and countless other features, including industry leading AI, is the "most complete" historically accurate WWI single player campaign sim ever created. It may well be the greatest one that will ever be produced, given how small the commercial market is for WWI flight sims. I think it was more passion than profits that drove the developers onward for WOFF and that's why it has come to be the sim that it is today, step by tiny step from it's most humble beginnings.

In my personal opinion, it is that same passion that will carry WOFF into the future. Not from the developers who have said they will finally turn their attention after ten long years to a new project, but from the forum community who has for so long been an integral part of WOFFs development and success.

Time and time again, the WOFF forum community has not only been there to assist in shaping the final product of Wings Over Flanders Fields, but it's also been something that sets it apart from so many other sims in general. The open, welcoming nature of the WOFF forum community to those who are sincerely interested in learning about and getting the most out of this incredible sim is, in my humble opinion, vital to the future of WOFF.

There will come a day when the last patch has been released and no known WOFF related projects such as plane add-on packs are in the works. That will be a new experience for a community that for over a decade has only ever known that something new and official is always in the works and worth looking forward to. For all I know, that day may have already come. But when it does - whenever it does - it will be up to the forum community to keep WOFF feeling fresh and alive. I've watched the WOFF forum grow over the past 10 years and one thing I can say with a high degree of certainty is that despite the occasional squabble and ruffled feathers, the WOFF forums have some of the kindest, most generous, knowledgeable, creative, talented and giving people of any sim community anywhere. There's no doubt that all of that is woven inextricably into the fabric of WOFF itself and it's entire history. There's no reason to believe it won't be what helps shape WOFF future as well.

I would just like to offer an open statement to this great community about some of the things we can do that, in my opinion, are now more important than ever.

Continue to be friendly and helpful -

This has been the backbone of the WOFF community since the beginning and it will serve us well into the future. While WOFF development may be more or less complete, the community is still very much alive and being helpful to people who are discovering WOFF for the first time is a huge boon to keeping it growing. Those of us who have been on this journey for awhile know all too well that WOFF is so huge that we will be flying and discovering new secrets and amazing experiences for years to come. I think it will be a long time indeed before anyone makes it through the war alive starting on day 1, let alone is able to master 70+ aircraft ! There just so much to do! But people first looking at the sim won't know that and only we can get that feeling of limitless experiences across to them. Development may or may not be over but countless fresh new experiences still await us all.

Modders are Unofficial Optional Developers -

The WOFF modders in our community have been an incredible gift to the sim. Lou's bomb-sight is incredible! Not to mention his historically accurate airfields. Oldhat, Panama Red, AnKor, ArisFuser, Olham, Rick Rawlings, Robert Wiggins, 77 Scout, etc. All and more have given gifts to the community that essential either improve the experiences we have within WOFF or give us the option of entirely new ones. Often they work together and come up with something the rest of us never imagined! Mods keep a sim / game fresh. I still play Skyrim 5 years after it was released. The 140+ mods I have installed probably has something to do with that. For those who can mod, please keep your creative juices flowing! To those who can't, help out with testing if they ask for beta testers. Most mods are JSGME ready and all you really need is a throw away pilot called Johnny Mods to give it a go with. There's nothing to lose and everything to gain by helping add even more creative options to WOFF.

Finally, there's one more thing I would like to offer that I believe will help WOFF continue to move forward.

A feeling of Gratitude.

When people feel as passionately about something as most of us do about Wings Over Flanders Fields and they realize that major development has or will sometime soon come to an end, it's often easy to focus in on "what never got added." WWI is such a huge subject that, as I said before, it's not really possible to create a sim about it that is "complete." Something will always get left out. While my personal list of things I would like to have seen added has diminished all the way down to just a couple of items, it's still fair for me to say that "I wish they would have added X." But they didn't and that's okay because it's not possible for them to program a sim that is everything to everyone. No sim is.

Where I find my gratitude is when I think of all the things that I and others once wanted and they were put into the sim. I mentioned before there are well over 200 items (maybe 300 by now) added in patches that were new features, bug fixes or improvements. Every one of them was completely free and an answered prayer on somebody's Wish List somewhere. That's pretty amazing. It's easy to focus on what didn't make it in, but who knows? Maybe someday it still will. The devs have surprised us before. In the meantime we all want to get the most out of WOFF and one of the best ways to do that is not to hope for what's in the next patch, but to take our time flying WOFF and focus on all the amazing things that have been added for us.

I personally believe Gratitude is at the root of all Joy and if you take some time and look over both the features list of WOFF 1, 2 & 3 along with all the patch notes from every new iteration of the sim, we have an incredible amount to be Grateful for.

Thanks to OBD for 10 years of focused passion that gave us WOFF. Thanks to the forum community for all their ideas, mods, support and most of all, your friendship.

It has been a long and incredible journey so far and I'm glad I got to be a part of it. Now I'm looking forward to the next 10 years to see how we continue to grow in new and exciting ways. Most of all, I look forward to sharing those great new experiences with all of my long time friends as well as many new ones.

See you up in the unfriendly skies and don't forget to check your six!

salute

Hellshade

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4269158 - 06/11/16 02:23 PM Re: The Future of WOFF - One Players Opinion [Re: Hellshade]  
Beanie Offline
Beanie  Offline

Canterbury, Kent
Not being a wordsmith, Hellshade you have said what I wish I had been able to say!

I agree with every thing you have penned - so excellently.

My own gratitude not only goes out to the devs, but also members of this community, who have made the last ten years of OFF/WOFF a joy - Thank you

Beanie

Last edited by Beanie; 06/11/16 02:38 PM.

'Der Fuchs'

BOC Member
'BWOC BWOC BWOC'
#4269163 - 06/11/16 02:57 PM Re: The Future of WOFF - One Players Opinion [Re: Hellshade]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Ten years? A jubilee? Feasting and drinking?! Hey, I'll be there!!! stirthepot burger cheers

Wrote it to Jim_Attrill only two hours ago: with WOFF the OBD Team fullfilled me a dream
I have had since my childhood days. (You already wrote the details - ditto to that!)

Feasting may be a bit difficult for all of you devs living in different corners of the world,
but I hope you will celebrate the jubilee somehow - with a cool beer and a phone conference?
Thank you for a heart-enclosed jewel, Winder, Polovski, RexHannover, Shredward,
Sandbagger, OvS, Paarma, Makai and everyone else involved in past versions.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4269166 - 06/11/16 03:01 PM Re: The Future of WOFF - One Players Opinion [Re: Hellshade]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Guess we have the same background. Starting from Radbaron, then the dessert times facing First "no campaign" Eagles and The arcade WOW, both miss buys. To OFF2 & 3, RoFcomplete and now Woff3 complete.

Only one remark about the community, I still remember on the CAForum, when speaking positive about Rof, you would be tortured, so I did leave the whole OFF scene. Luckely this aspect has been changed and as you wrote down no game is perfect, but still think that both games did have a positieve influence on each other.

As a WW1 flysimmer I think after 2018 no new add-ons or updates will be released to Woff or Rof and I see no new develpments to a new classic style WW1 flysim. So these two games will be the last of a kind, A generation of WW1 combat flysim that was started, for many Woff'ers and RoF'ers on the RB3d game. Many members did learn on how to install a new Vcard, did buy new components to build a new PC, starting to overclock, get TrackIR, update the drivers and tweaking OS.
We all have learned about this unknow history, some even visiting the WW1 front in France.
It has been a great time from 2009 on, for a WW1 combat fly sim fan.
Thanks OBD

Last edited by dutch; 06/11/16 03:04 PM.
#4269174 - 06/11/16 03:20 PM Re: The Future of WOFF - One Players Opinion [Re: Hellshade]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
I too would like to fall in and salute you all (devs and community) for all that you have contributed to this stellar adventure.
I cannot imagine ever putting this sim or the WOFF forum away to be forgotten. It has been an integral part of my life and pleasure in the past and present and undoubtedly will be in the future as well.

Thank you Hellshade for your discourse. It reminds us all of what we have at our fingertips and was eloquently stated Sir.

Best Regards to all

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4269179 - 06/11/16 03:59 PM Re: The Future of WOFF - One Players Opinion [Re: Hellshade]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
I too, would like to second Hellshade's comments about WOFF and the community. I remember growing up with Red Baron 3D back in the late 90s. My first experience on the internet coincided with finding the Delphi Red Baron boards. The community then was good, but the OFF community - initially comprised of a lot of the best folks from RB - is even better. The welcoming atmosphere here combined with a genuine fascination with this period in history makes for a great place to chat when we can pull ourselves out of WOFF for a little bit.

And as for the Devs, I remember where it started for me. I had been a long time follower of the Hell's Angels mod for Red Baron and after a few years of flying the wings off of his work, OvS sent me a message sometime around 2005 or 2006 IIRC, saying basically "we've done everything we can with RB... but there's a new project now called Over Flanders Fields, you should check it out." And so, even though I didn't have a computer that had a hope of running it, I started following the project.

James then sent me a disk with a copy of Phase 2 version 1.0 on it with a note that read: "Soppy, Enjoy It!"

And I've been here ever since. I can't begin to tell you how badly I missed flying WOFF when my old computer simply would not run the newer version. I felt like I had been left behind. My old computer was falling apart and I had given up on ever playing this new version of the sim - which genuinely looked like an entirely new game - as different from OFF as OFF was from Red Baron when I first saw it a decade ago. And wouldn't you know it? With a new rig - albeit a modest one - a note from Hellshade appeared saying that I had a copy of WOFF waiting for my new system. It was great to be back.

One of my favorite pastimes with this hobby of mine was writing my after action reports - taking a literary turn to the events that played out in digital time on my screen. It's a great way to warm up my writing skills and it was always rewarding to share those experiences with the community. It reminds me of my days with Red Baron and, as an adult now rather than a high school kid, its nice to write with abandon and forget about jobs and work and real life stress for a bit.

No other game gives me what WOFF does - it's the magic combination of community, genuine interest, and a developer that strives to make the best product they can rather than a multi-billion dollar firm that wants to sell me half the game at full price and then ring my neck with DLC. I play a wide array of games - I love Gran Turismo and the latest F1 titles, I dig into games like Battlefront and Battlefield, but I always, always, come back to WOFF. I'll always do what I can to help contribute to the vibrant and active community we are so fortunate to have.

Thanks again Hellshade - glad I could get you into this great hobby - you have been a pillar of the community ever since you showed up.

And all it took was a CD in the mail.

Cheers!

cheers

#4269180 - 06/11/16 04:01 PM Re: The Future of WOFF - One Players Opinion [Re: Hellshade]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Johannesburg, South Africa
I suppose I must be an unusual 'gamer' in that I have only ever played two, and these were played when I had the time to do so. The first was 'Wings of Glory' for which I bought a 2x CD drive. I then left gaming altogether due to work commitments until - somehow - I discovered OFF. I cannot remember how this happened but I soon discovered that my video card was far too weak to play it properly. I am now on my second upgrade of video card since then and am due for another one soon. So I progressed through HITR then WOFF 2 and now 3. I don't have a lot of money and the Rand/US dollar exchange rate doesn't help. But all the money spent on WOFF has been worth while. Unfortunately I am not a good pilot, certainly not at shooting, but getting good at running for home!

Now I must quote from Hellshade above " I've watched the WOFF forum grow over the past 10 years and one thing I can say with a high degree of certainty is that despite the occasional squabble and ruffled feathers, the WOFF forums have some of the kindest, most generous, knowledgeable, creative, talented and giving people of any sim community anywhere. There's no doubt that all of that is woven inextricably into the fabric of WOFF itself and it's entire history. There's no reason to believe it won't be what helps shape WOFF future as well."

Kind? Absolutely. WindingMan actually GAVE me a TrackIR 3 as there was no way that I could afford one, and an unnamed person sent me my latest video card from Oz for FREE (and it cost a fortune to send in postage). To you two, many thanks and I am using your gifts every day.

So, even if the devs stop devving it does not mean that this forum will die as I still have about 60 aircraft to fly!

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
#4269183 - 06/11/16 04:04 PM Re: The Future of WOFF - One Players Opinion [Re: Hellshade]  
Stache Offline
Stache  Offline

Michigan, USA
Eloquent as ever Hellshade. Though I sorely miss not having been a part of the first nine years. I am glad I am here now. It is great to watch the early videos to see the journey taken and admire all the hard work, dedication and passion by everyone that has gone into this project.

Salute to you all.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. A. Einstein

(System Specs:)

I7-6700k OC 4.4GHZ, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz; Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB, G1 OC'ed GTX980ti; Three-Acer XB271HU WQHD Gsync 144Mhz; Samsung 950-512GB NVMe SSD; WD 2TB-7200rpm; Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Nepton 240M cooler, V1000 PS; Windows 10 PRO; VKB GunfighterPro Stick; Thrustmaster TPR Pedals; Saitek Throttle; Dual TM MFD panels; TrackIR 5; Windows 10 v1909
#4269189 - 06/11/16 04:10 PM Re: The Future of WOFF - One Players Opinion [Re: JimAttrill]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: JimAttrill
WindingMan actually GAVE me a TrackIR 3 as there was no way that I could afford one...

You mean you MET and SAW him? How does he look? Can he smile? biggrin
(Naw, seriously: that is a very nice good deed, to give it to you, Jim!)

#4269195 - 06/11/16 04:41 PM Re: The Future of WOFF - One Players Opinion [Re: Hellshade]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Here is a picture of him taken a while ago:

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

#4269212 - 06/11/16 06:13 PM Re: The Future of WOFF - One Players Opinion [Re: Hellshade]  
ArisFuser Offline
ArisFuser  Offline

Couldn´t have expressed better myself Hellshade, (not being a native english speaker doesn´t help either!). WOFF has been a rare happening in gaming industry, where a mod gathers itself the fame and glory as to be considered not only a sim but the best WW1 sim it has ever existed. That´s a sim and ww1 enthusiast dream come true, one that has left us so many incredible virtual experiences already and will remain jewel in HD for many years. This all happening in a small specialized niche, without multimillion dollar budgets or advertising campaigns.
Sometimes I feel WOFF is like that marvellous honest pure rock disk you can´t stop listening to in the mid of the mainstream music where almost everyone surrounding you is too deaf or unaware to appreciate it but at the same time you feel a special relationship with it just because of that too.

#4269238 - 06/11/16 07:59 PM Re: The Future of WOFF - One Players Opinion [Re: JimAttrill]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Kind? Absolutely. WindingMan actually GAVE me a TrackIR 3 as there was no way that I could afford one, and an unnamed person sent me my latest video card from Oz for FREE (and it cost a fortune to send in postage). To you two, many thanks and I am using your gifts every day.

You jogged my memory Jim. I've also been given supplies to keep flying over the years. A member named PlugNickel donated a power supply for my old rig when the one it came with finally conked out. And another member - and I am embarrassed to say that I can't remember who - just gave me a TrackIR as well. It completely changed the way I play flight sims and I have never looked back.

The generosity of this community is unmatched.

As an aside, I also discovered the First World War through Wings of Glory. Mine came on a demo disc with a copy of PC Gamer around 1995. I never played the full game - my computer actually didn't have enough hard drive space to install it - but I played that single demo mission in an SE5a over and over again. I still miss the feature where you could hit the L key and fire your Lewis gun straight up. Perhaps we'll get that in a future patch for WOFF. biggrin

#4269269 - 06/11/16 11:32 PM Re: The Future of WOFF - One Players Opinion [Re: JimAttrill]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Here is a picture of him taken a while ago...

Boy - the right man is Boelcke!
I had no idea that Winder was SOOO old already...! biggrin

#4269286 - 06/12/16 01:14 AM Re: The Future of WOFF - One Players Opinion [Re: Hellshade]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Good thoughts Hellshade.

I first got OFF in August 2006, and recall it having not much more than an SE5 and an Albatross. The front lines were just a brown strip with two dark-brown lines for trenches. But it had that wonderful dynamic campaign, so I was hooked from the start. Everything about the sim has come so very very far since then, and I remain constantly amazed year after year that the developers continue to find new and brilliant ways to improve it.

And yes, this forum has always been one of the friendliest and classiest places on the net. The quality of the people I have met here is second-to-none.

#4269326 - 06/12/16 07:03 AM Re: The Future of WOFF - One Players Opinion [Re: CaptSopwith]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Originally Posted By: CaptSopwith
You jogged my memory Jim. I've also been given supplies to keep flying over the years. A member named PlugNickel donated a power supply for my old rig when the one it came with finally conked out. And another member - and I am embarrassed to say that I can't remember who - just gave me a TrackIR as well. It completely changed the way I play flight sims and I have never looked back.

The generosity of this community is unmatched.

As an aside, I also discovered the First World War through Wings of Glory. Mine came on a demo disc with a copy of PC Gamer around 1995. I never played the full game - my computer actually didn't have enough hard drive space to install it - but I played that single demo mission in an SE5a over and over again. I still miss the feature where you could hit the L key and fire your Lewis gun straight up. Perhaps we'll get that in a future patch for WOFF. biggrin

I tried and tried to get WOG to work using a virtual DOS machine. The only trouble I have every time is that the mouse hides in a corner of the screen and goes back there quickly when you try to move it. I always enjoyed the talking characters as well as the flying. I think I eventually got the VC in those old days. I have been given an old Pentium 4 pooter and am considering trying WOF on that but I fear that the game was written for a different sort of mouse to the ones we have now. Maybe I need a special mouse driver of some sort?

#4269338 - 06/12/16 10:17 AM Re: The Future of WOFF - One Players Opinion [Re: Hellshade]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

"Wings of Glory" was funny back then - but had nothing to do with a flight sim IMHO.
The story line, accompanied by funny plastic music, was amusing.
I must admit, that I learned to know my first Halberstadt there - and all those
colourful, almost crazy German paint jobs.
Liked playing it back then.

#4269341 - 06/12/16 10:48 AM Re: The Future of WOFF - One Players Opinion [Re: Olham]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Originally Posted By: Olham
Here is a picture of him taken a while ago...

Boy - the right man is Boelcke!
I had no idea that Winder was SOOO old already...! biggrin

The guy on the left is a Captain Winter (I think that is the name) who had been shot down in flames by Boelcke and landed with his breeches on fire. He put them out and was captured. Boelcke took him to his aerodrome and gave him a cup of coffee and showed him around. He survived the war as a Kriegsgefangene (POW) so was luckier than most pilots in a way.

#4269345 - 06/12/16 11:08 AM Re: The Future of WOFF - One Players Opinion [Re: JimAttrill]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

...shot down in flames by Boelcke and landed with his breeches on fire.

Shot down in flames - and yet alive! Wow! Not many had THAT big luck, I suppose...

Boelcke took him to his aerodrome and gave him a cup of coffee and showed him around.

Typically Boelcke: coffee! After being shot down in flames!
That man would have prefered a good mug of brandy, I guess!

(Guess we are a bit off topic)

#4269490 - 06/12/16 11:12 PM Re: The Future of WOFF - One Players Opinion [Re: Hellshade]  
ARUP Offline
ARUP  Offline

Kentucky
Thanks to everyone for making this flight sim possible. It is the only one I play!

#4269495 - 06/12/16 11:44 PM Re: The Future of WOFF - One Players Opinion [Re: ARUP]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: ARUP
Thanks to everyone for making this flight sim possible. It is the only one I play!

Ditto to that ARUP! That makes two of us!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3