Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4267949 - 06/07/16 04:25 PM Suicidal Albatross?  
Buff1 Offline
Buff1  Offline

Northern New Hampshire, USA
In a Albatross DII in November of 1916 during a campaign, I put a number of rounds into an FE2b and his prop stopped and he was gliding down behind the German lines at about 3000 feet. No way he makes it back to his own side of No-Mans Land. I wanted a look at him, so I put my DII on AI Pilot and went to the Target View. While looking over the FE2, I noticed my DII curl and start to make a high side attack, despite it being unwarranted overkill. Down, down, down came the nasty looking Albatross from about 8 o'clock high on the still gliding FE. What a great view I had while wondering why my AI self was being so heartlessly cruel to these unfortunate Brits. Guns blazing it was a sight as the FE could do nothing but take it. Suddenly I realized that my AI self was not only cruel, but insane as he held his finger on the trigger and without so much as a rudder flick or elevator twitch he deliberately stuck his big, fat Albatross spinner into the engine of the FE at full bore creating a lovely, if gut-wrenching (mine as I realized my 39 mission pilot was worm food) mid air collision and both craft fell to earth like a pair of rocks...

Is there a logical answer to this seemingly pointless action or is there some AI oddity I should be aware of in the future?

Rick

#4267981 - 06/07/16 05:57 PM Re: Suicidal Albatross? [Re: Buff1]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Rick, mid air collisions were not uncommon in WWI. I have seen other AI do this in the sim. It may happen more often in WOFF than real life, I just don't know, but it does happen. My suggestion would be, if you are going to use auto pilot, is to have your finger on the pause button. Sorry to hear your 39 mission pilot bit the big one like that. Had to hurt!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4268000 - 06/07/16 06:52 PM Re: Suicidal Albatross? [Re: Buff1]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Buff1
In a Albatross DII in November of 1916 during a campaign, I put a number of rounds into an FE2b and his prop stopped and he was gliding down behind the German lines at about 3000 feet. No way he makes it back to his own side of No-Mans Land. I wanted a look at him, so I put my DII on AI Pilot and went to the Target View. While looking over the FE2, I noticed my DII curl and start to make a high side attack, despite it being unwarranted overkill. Down, down, down came the nasty looking Albatross from about 8 o'clock high on the still gliding FE. What a great view I had while wondering why my AI self was being so heartlessly cruel to these unfortunate Brits. Guns blazing it was a sight as the FE could do nothing but take it. Suddenly I realized that my AI self was not only cruel, but insane as he held his finger on the trigger and without so much as a rudder flick or elevator twitch he deliberately stuck his big, fat Albatross spinner into the engine of the FE at full bore creating a lovely, if gut-wrenching (mine as I realized my 39 mission pilot was worm food) mid air collision and both craft fell to earth like a pair of rocks...

Is there a logical answer to this seemingly pointless action or is there some AI oddity I should be aware of in the future?

Rick

BUFF, for god sake download the WOFF backup utility and save your pilot files after every mission. You won't loose them again if you do.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4268003 - 06/07/16 07:01 PM Re: Suicidal Albatross? [Re: Buff1]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Welcome to WW1, a whole collision isn't exactly a broken sim but note you if you set your pilot up as "novice" when creating him, the AI pilot will be an Novice. Even veterans collided in real life. Pointing your aircraft at another deliberately (as you do to shoot him) has inherent dangers. We have also deliberately added fallible moments into the AI otherwise it would be terminator like many other sims. Auto pilot may not choose what you would, so if you want full control then fly it yourself.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4268082 - 06/07/16 10:36 PM Re: Suicidal Albatross? [Re: Polovski]  
Buff1 Offline
Buff1  Offline

Northern New Hampshire, USA
Originally Posted By: Polovski
We have also deliberately added fallible moments into the AI

This is the logic I was seeking... In watching the scene develop, it was clear that the collision could have easily been avoided, but something just kept him boring in and his target fixation was blinded to all else.

He did begin as a novice, but had long since reached 'Veteran' status, so I have to assume that my veteran AI self simply wanted to end it all. Maybe he got a 'Dear Johan Letter' that morning. Yes, Lets go with that...

Knowing that air to air collisions in WWI were quite common, I expect nothing less from the sim. But in this case, it was just a powerless FE and a AI with a death wish. Plenty of time and room to break off. He just didn't which struck me as odd to say the least...

I do have the Pilot backup program and do use it in case of some incredibly stupid or silly happenstance. However, I've always felt that DiD and try to learn from whatever the cause. We get damn few 'do overs' in real life and using them in our games tends to make us less thoughtful about making our real mistakes that can't be undone. I may however in this case, look the other way as it wasn't really 'my' mistake.
seehearspeak

Rick

#4268089 - 06/07/16 11:00 PM Re: Suicidal Albatross? [Re: Buff1]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Buff1, I lost a DiD pilot with 90+ hours to a moment'stupidity by pushing a beam attack on a two-seater a moment too long. What makes sense looks just so different from the cockpit!

#4268193 - 06/08/16 09:32 AM Re: Suicidal Albatross? [Re: Buff1]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Many silly incredibly stupid things really happened, including technical difficulties just at the wrong moment. Sir Gordon Cooper describes watching a Pup diving and firing at a ground test target (shaped like a german aircraft). He watched as the guy kept diving engine on, and got past the point he was thinking 'no you must pull up you must pull up' then far too late the guy pulled up for his Pup to disintegrate. Stuff happens. Why he kept going far too long, who knows. When the ground is coming up at you, and you have 1 life at stake, caution comes first you'd think.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4268214 - 06/08/16 11:16 AM Re: Suicidal Albatross? [Re: Buff1]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

When you think of Boelcke's accident, wings touching Boehme's Albatros D.II's wings -
and Boelcke was definitely not an idiot.
I also read (A. G. Lee, I think) how Sopwith Pups pilots, who hard started against the wind,
returned from patrol, landing in the same direction - and nosed over.
Not one - two of them! Although the ground crew was waving like mad!
Only the third pilot realised: the wind direction had changed by 180°,
and a Pup is not a craft you should land with a tail wind !

Then there was another story, where a squadron (also Pups, I think) tranfered to another
aerodrome. They had talked the landing sequence at the new field over, before,
but when they arrived, there were others also landing.
However - it came to the terrible situation, that two Pups made a landing approach at the
same time - one above the other.
Everybody was waving and shouting - but you hear nothing of that in an aircraft, and as
you concentrate on the field ahead, you do not see the waving!

I don't remember what happened to the pilots, but I guess they were at least injured.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4269111 - 06/11/16 08:35 AM Re: Suicidal Albatross? [Re: Buff1]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Johannesburg, South Africa
I always thought these fields had windsocks and pilots would look for them to see which way to land as there were no 'runways' on the grass fields and landing could take place in any direction - into wind.

That reminds me of a joke (that is supposed to be true). Game rangers here get together and swap stories about the stupid things that some tourists say. Apparently one tourist on seeing a windsock said "Look, it's a feeding bag for the giraffes".

I have left out the nationality of the tourist, but you can guess at it sigh

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
#4269114 - 06/11/16 08:53 AM Re: Suicidal Albatross? [Re: JimAttrill]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: JimAttrill
I always thought these fields had windsocks and pilots would look for them...

They either didn't have one at La Gorgue, or the pilots just didn't care to look.
They may just have 'been sure' they landed into the wind, cause they had started the same direction earlier.
Never 'be sure' in avation...

Originally Posted By: JimAttrill
Apparently one tourist on seeing a windsock said "Look, it's a feeding bag for the giraffes".
I have left out the nationality of the tourist, but you can guess at it sigh

Mmuahahahahaaa!!!
Nationality doesn't matter - you find such 'intelligenzia' in every nation.

It's even almost cute, isn't it?

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM