Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4268143 - 06/08/16 03:17 AM Questions regarding current setup of 3dz and tpc files, etc...  
Crashin' Jack Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur
Crashin' Jack  Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur

Illinois, USA
I see I have a lot of catching up to do. I dl'ed 1.40 and gave it a spin (btw, the text for Allies and Japan is wrong on the selection screens). I looked through some folders and see:

1. The old format of PP38JA.TPC has been changed to simply PLANEAEX.TPC. etc.. Does that carry throughout the game now?
2. The P****VIEW.CPT files are renamed to a generic title as well?
3. I also see two vcg files, VCGPLANE.DAT (containing the file I modded to hold 75 gauges) and VVCGPLANE.DAT (the original, containing 59 gauges). Are both required?
4. Can anyone give me a full list of available names for 3dz and tpc files?

"Blasts from clustered R4M quartets in my snout
And see these English planes go burn...." Blue Oyster Cult

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4268165 - 06/08/16 06:03 AM Re: Questions regarding current setup of 3dz and tpc files, etc... [Re: Crashin' Jack]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
1. Yes
Everything that was "Pp38h" .... "Pv1v1" is now "Plane".
2. Yes
They are all "PLA_VIEW.CPT"
3. No.
"VCGPLANE.DAT" is the only one that is used
4. Basically covered in the answer to your first question.

We have converter programs that convert 1.2/28/29 skins and FMs to 140 names.

Re the wrong text which 140 download did you use, and what theatre and planeset were you using?

Hope this helps

wink Jel

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4268185 - 06/08/16 08:35 AM Re: Questions regarding current setup of 3dz and tpc files, etc... [Re: Crashin' Jack]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

Hi CJ.

It's best to work with the old system to avoid problems in 3dz Studio, and having tons of PLANE files, which can become very confusing.

Also, if you work in the old system, you make mods for 1.29, and you can then easily use Tony's program to convert to 1.40, and post both versions.

3dz Studio loads whole models A to Q.3dz and a full cockpit, if you load the main V.3dz, so editing cockpits is easier.

Last edited by Col. Gibbon; 06/08/16 08:38 AM.

Supports EAW 1.29.exe, Drop in and Play Technology. wink

1.29 download
#4268205 - 06/08/16 10:18 AM Re: Questions regarding current setup of 3dz and tpc files, etc... [Re: Crashin' Jack]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
CJ, it is not necessary to work with the old naming system though as John points out you can always using the utility to switch.

You do need some caution to avoid mixing the planes up but since you only normally work with one plane at a time it's not really an issue.

There are some real advantages to using the new naming system. Especially when adding pieces to a plane from some other plane. The most obvious being
the prop.

For example, John produced an excellent early war US prop for the F4F. I've used that prop on about 20 planes. With the new naming system you can just drop the prop and the accompanying tex and tra files directly into the folder without the effort of renaming the files or hexediting the header inside the 3dz file to point to the correct texture.

Also, so you don't have to search for the info, there are six new 3dz add on files. This is the list with the correlating hardcode numbers:

D - 30
I - 31
J - 32
K - 33
O - 34
Q - 35

Not sure if you are aware that there are some new transparency files available too.

We now have MEX/MRA, PEX/PRA and SEX/SRA to go along with the TEX/TRA combo. Of course you're probably more interested int eh cockpit transparencies which remain Y/YTR and V/VTR.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4268211 - 06/08/16 11:00 AM Re: Questions regarding current setup of 3dz and tpc files, etc... [Re: Crashin' Jack]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

Hi CJ.

Stick to what you know best, and carry on as 1.2, and convert later. I have a 1.29 instal I use for testing stuff. All you need is drop the files in, like the old days. Nothing new to learn. biggrin

Ask Tony for the 1.29 basic download.

Quote:
We now have MEX/MRA, PEX/PRA and SEX/SRA to go along with the TEX/TRA combo. Of course you're probably more interested int eh cockpit transparencies which remain Y/YTR and V/VTR.

Woefully inadequate for the FW200!

1.29 download
#4268222 - 06/08/16 11:49 AM Re: Questions regarding current setup of 3dz and tpc files, etc... [Re: Crashin' Jack]  
Crashin' Jack Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur
Crashin' Jack  Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur

Illinois, USA
This is exactly what I need, thanks. I still have the 1.28 cockpit editor so I can make my own custom p view files, and it looks like the cockpit files haven't changed so I have a 3dz studio version that loads the full cockpit so I think I am good to go!

#4268455 - 06/09/16 12:34 AM Re: Questions regarding current setup of 3dz and tpc files, etc... [Re: Crashin' Jack]  
Crashin' Jack Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur
Crashin' Jack  Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur

Illinois, USA
Jel, I used the 140 multiplayer from your link. I did SPAW, Single mission. But, I understand now, it's next to the switch that switches you to japan or vice versa...bit confusing.

Sorry, I'm going to be an irritating bugger for a while asking questions, but I seem to have missed alot!

In the same download, when I go to the Career page, it's small - like, 640x480. Any particular reason?

#4268465 - 06/09/16 01:31 AM Re: Questions regarding current setup of 3dz and tpc files, etc... [Re: Crashin' Jack]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Jack, no need for apologies. It's a whole new ballgame. So much has changed it's literally a new game.

Actually you're lucky. Things have settled down quite a bit as to exec development.

You shoulda been here six months or a year ago!

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4268467 - 06/09/16 01:36 AM Re: Questions regarding current setup of 3dz and tpc files, etc... [Re: Crashin' Jack]  
iron mike Offline
iron mike  Offline

Maryland, USA
Hi C.J.,

I am going to raise a few hackles when I say stick to what you know and then convert to 1.40. duck I say this because to my knowledge there isn't a simple way to test a skin in 1.40. With 1.2X exes you can load and unload the test skin with 2 keystrokes. With 1.40 you need to assemble and create a plane set before you can add a new skin. IMHO, 1.40 is very good for new machines that suffer from the dreaded screen error and if you want multi-player online flight. The 1.2X is for you if you want flexibility, ease of use, and, backward compatibility. I am not criticizing Tony or Ray here. Nor am I dissing their efforts. But, I do believe in freedom of choice and simplicity. I will continue to have both exes on my hard drive and produce skins for the earlier exe since that is how I can proof my work.

I want to thank Tony for creating a tool to up convert skins. cheers Otherwise the entire body of work in skinning (my work included) has been rendered obsolete by the un slotted system in 1.40. banghead Now, what is needed is an OAW type of selector that will allow for inclusion of a single skin (or squadron) for testing and personalized flying.
Otherwise it becomes an "...if you don't like my rules I'll take my ball and go home..." situation as suggested in a recent post. explode

There, I've said enough on the subject and will not take up arms against anyone who disagrees with me. tomcat

#4268472 - 06/09/16 02:05 AM Re: Questions regarding current setup of 3dz and tpc files, etc... [Re: Crashin' Jack]  
Crashin' Jack Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur
Crashin' Jack  Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur

Illinois, USA
Since the cockpits were never really changed much after I messed with them, I think you are right, Mike. I really like what I am seeing in 140, but it IS cumbersome to test things with. Besides, the last Cockpit Editor was activated in 1.28b so I will likely do my mods there, then convert for modern usage. When I get rolling again, perhaps I'll load up the latest source and give it a few tweeks; already have a few things I'd like to try!

Man, it feels good to cruise through code again!

#4268474 - 06/09/16 02:30 AM Re: Questions regarding current setup of 3dz and tpc files, etc... [Re: Crashin' Jack]  
iron mike Offline
iron mike  Offline

Maryland, USA
It is good to have you back C.J., for the longest time it has just been me doing any "art". It has mainly been boffin time here lately. Send me a line when you start crankin' 'em out, You may want a new dress and shoes for you baby. yep

#4268476 - 06/09/16 02:55 AM Re: Questions regarding current setup of 3dz and tpc files, etc... [Re: Crashin' Jack]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Originally Posted By: Crashin' Jack

Man, it feels good to cruise through code again!

You really are a sick puppy. biggrin

Jack,

You most assuredly do not need to assemble your own planeset to do the testing. This is part of the disinformation warfare that is being waged by a certain member.

I was not an easy convert to 1.4 as Jel will attest but since I'm the only plane maker to actually do it here's what I have to say.

It seems cumbersome at first but really it's not.

Figure out which planeset you are going to load and look for the corresponding Skin sub-folder.

Go to the skin sub-folder for any one of the planes in the set. It's usually pretty easy to decipher which plane is which.

Make a copy of the entire sub-folder.

Erase all the 3dz files and tpc files in the original folder but no not change the name in any way.

Place the files for any plane you want to work on in the folder.

Run the game and select the plane based on the folder where you put the files. Your plane will appear.

As you make changes to the 3dz or tpc files you just drop them in that skin folder rather than the root folder.

When you're done with your work you delete the folder, after ensuring the finalized files are in another folder and rename the copy to the original name.

The big advantage is that you can swap in 3dz and tpc files for mixing and matching a lot easier because you don't have to rename them and you don't have to edit the internal PCX header in the 3dz files.

I used that to great advantage while putting the Med Pack together.

For instance, there are four tri-motors available, Cantz1001, SM79, SM81 and Ju52. Because they are bombers I didn't want to spend an inordinate amount of time on them.( Everyone knows how I feel about flying bombers in a fighter sim.) So I gave then all the same cockpit.

All I had to do was copy the cockpit files from one skin folder to the next and I was done.

Same for the F4F prop. It's a thing of beauty and too good to just have on the F4f. So I simply copied the correct files to other plane folders and boom, done.

Same for the prop on most of the biplanes.

I'll end by addressing the other modders as well as Jack.

We have a couple of utilities that will convert back and forth between 1.2 style and 1.4 style so whichever you chose it isn't wrong.

However, keep an open mind. You will spend a bit of time figuring out the complexities of the new system but by the end of your training you will see the benefits.

#4268495 - 06/09/16 04:12 AM Re: Questions regarding current setup of 3dz and tpc files, etc... [Re: Crashin' Jack]  
Crashin' Jack Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur
Crashin' Jack  Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur

Illinois, USA
I understand what you are saying Ray, and for most 3DZ work it makes great sense. But for doing cockpits, I need to use the Cockpit Editor to create custom Pview.CPT files, then mod the vcg file for the correct gauges. At that point I can move it all to 1.40 and work out the 3DZ parts. So, I guess a combination is the way to go for me.

I will definitely save your post for reference, good info!!

Cheers!

#4268530 - 06/09/16 09:30 AM Re: Questions regarding current setup of 3dz and tpc files, etc... [Re: Crashin' Jack]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

But you can do that in 1.4 as readily as 1.28.

The names are different but the files are the same.

Pviewcpt becomes Pla_VIEW and VGC***** becomes VGCplane

Unless the editor only works with the file name Pviewcpt. Then you're stuck.

Although, as with the 3dz Studio set I hacked for you so you could see all the cockpit files at the same time, it might be possible to get the editor to recognize Pla_View instead.

Either way works. You just have to get comfortable moving back and forth.

#4268995 - 06/10/16 09:07 PM Re: Questions regarding current setup of 3dz and tpc files, etc... [Re: Crashin' Jack]  
Crashin' Jack Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur
Crashin' Jack  Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur

Illinois, USA
The editor actually CREATES pview files. Then they can simply be renamed. Using old pview files isn't a problem either, I still have my EAW cd so I know which one I am working with if I want to modify an existing one.

#4270208 - 06/15/16 03:35 AM Re: Questions regarding current setup of 3dz and tpc files, etc... [Re: Crashin' Jack]  
Crashin' Jack Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur
Crashin' Jack  Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur

Illinois, USA
So I still have a question - how the hell do I turn a bmp into a tpc??? I can't for the life of me remember.I have all the stuff, I just can't get it to work right...

#4270226 - 06/15/16 05:35 AM Re: Questions regarding current setup of 3dz and tpc files, etc... [Re: Crashin' Jack]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
Running through what I do with a 24-bit BMP from one of Mikes skin folders.

I have an old version of photoshop installed.
First I open the bmp file with it.
Then I go to image->mode and change it to indexed color and select a palette from the various options, but with 256 colors.
Then I save as a PCX file.

This can be converted with PicPac. A BMP cannot.

This is a line from a batch file used to convert a map file:

picpac -p targmap.PCX targmap.pic

You just need to edit it.

wink

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4270230 - 06/15/16 06:51 AM Re: Questions regarding current setup of 3dz and tpc files, etc... [Re: Crashin' Jack]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

Hi CJ,

As we are nowadays using 24bit BMP as standard, and all you really need is a dummy 8 bit PCX/TPC.

I make them in the normal way, using a blank single colour PCX, which matches the size of the BMP, either 256x256 or 512x512.

The BMP is not converted. you use it as is, but you need the matching size TPC dummy files.

Transparency textures are 8bit just as they used to be, just match the size of the PCX/TPC and BMP. wink

1.29 download

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.