Hop To
#4265538 - 05/30/16 08:49 PM Civ V Delegates/Proposal questions  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I recently started playing Civ V and am doing quite well (Prince difficulty). I founded a religion called Mojo. As the founder of the World Congress I can choose a resolution for the next session, which is approaching. I selected making Mojo the world religion.

So what I want to do is ensure it passes. To do so I need to control delegates. I'm in the Industrial age, and I think only one other nation is as well. More may reach it before the vote comes up.

As I understand, being in the Industrial Age I will get delegates for each City State I am allied with. Will it be the same for all other Civs, or do they need to have reached Industrial as well? Or is it only required that one Civ has reached Industrial and everyone now gets this? This could make a big difference if the vote comes and only two nations have reached Industrial Era.

Is there a way to see how the vote will go prior to being cast? I've just sent out a spy to see if I can bribe anyone to support the resolution but haven't actually done so.

Is being allied with a City State enough to get their delegates or is further diplomatic action required? I don't expect this resolution to be popular with other Civs so I need to stack the deck in my favor.

Last question to keep it somewhat concise.... if I were to spawn a Great Prophet or two, or three... and had them hit another Civ's cities just before the vote and made Mojo dominant in their cities, would that cause that Civ to support Mojo, even though they had founded a different religion?

Any other tips for ensuring this resolution passes?

I'll be resuming this run after work, so this will probably be moot in another few hours, so hopefully someone responds before that smile

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4265548 - 05/30/16 09:20 PM Re: Civ V Delegates/Proposal questions [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
First: I hate the world congress. I actually found a way to turn it off.

As I recall, the best way to get delegates is to have CS allies, so buy a bunch of allies a few turns before the voting and you should be good. You'll start getting messages from other leaders about your proposal, you'll know how they will vote based on those messages. I can't recall if there is another way to find out or not.

Civ V is a great game, I come back to it every so often and dive in headfirst. What kind of victory are you going for?

Civfanatics.com is a great forum for all things Civ too, lots of great guides and they are pretty helpful.

Here's a few tidbits from there for you:
Quote:

Ok. To start with, everyone gets one delegate in the renn era when it's founded. The founder (host) gets two delegates. Whoever builds the forbidden palace gets another two delegates. If a world religion is picked, everyone who has that religion as a majority gets another delegate.

Then the modern era hits. Now, everyone gets two delegates, plus one extra delegate for each city state ally. The host still gets extra delegates. If a world ideology is passed, everyone from that ideology gets an extra two delegates.

Then the info era hits. Now everyone has four delegates (iirc). Allied CS now give two delegates per ally instead of one.

(Sorry if there's inaccuracies, but this is off the top of my head.)

And more
Quote:

f any civ is in the Industrial Era, every civ (not just those who are also in the Industrial Era) gets 2 votes plus 1 vote for each CS ally. So, if another player is in the Industrial Era, and you are not the host and don't have any of the magic wonders or passed resolutions, your 5 votes must consist of 2 (for yourself) + 3 (from CS allies). Do you have 3 CS allies?

Also, if any civ is in the Modern Era, each member gets 3 votes plus 1 for each CS ally.

If you are not sure whether any civ (or which civ) is in the Industrial or Modern Era, you can check the Global Politics tab.

And this is good too
Quote:

7 ways to get delegates
1. Be a civ (1-4 based on era*)
2. Be the host (1-2 based on era*)
3. Control the Forbidden Palce (2)
4. Have CS allies (0-2 per ally based on era*)
5. Have >50% of your cities following the World Religion (2)
6. Be following the World Ideology (2)
7. Get the most or second most votes for world Leader, where noone reaches the level (2 for each time)

*era means the era of the Congress, not your era...which is NOT highest era reached by anyone
Congress era rules are
Once 50% or more of civs are in X era, the Congress is in X era
OR
Once any civ reaches X+1 era, the Congress is in X era

5-7 depend on the results of world congress votes.

Here's the whole thread
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=566142

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4265556 - 05/30/16 09:43 PM Re: Civ V Delegates/Proposal questions [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks JC. That info about only needing one Industrial age Civ for everyone to get the City State ally delegates is not what I wanted to hear. That would have made this a far easier proposition.

I don't know what type of victory I am going for. I seem to be so far ahead of everyone that I could go for Domination or Science. Perhaps Cultural. But no chance I think of Diplomatic, especially if I can get this resolution passed. And if it came down to points then it won't be close.

I should have gone with a higher difficulty I think. It is what it is though and the only nation anywhere close is Iroquois, and they are about 500 points behind. They were the first to get an ideology, and chose Freedom. I just got coal and the first factories are going up, and I think I will pick Order, meaning that relations with Iroquois will plummet, and then I will have to attack them, as they are the only nation in a position to challenge. I think.

I will soon get the World's Fair and it's pretty much game over after that I do believe. I'd like to get a Science Victory as it won't be as much of a slog as it would to go with Domination. Bastages keep stealing my techs and that's reason enough to attack them. I have a defending spy who seems useless and a Constable building as well, but they keep doing it anyway. Plus Iroquois are my neighbor so....

Just need Dynamite because they have the Great Wall and then it's on! smile

#4265604 - 05/31/16 12:50 AM Re: Civ V Delegates/Proposal questions [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted By: JohnnyChemo

If any civ is in the Industrial Era, every civ (not just those who are also in the Industrial Era) gets 2 votes plus 1 vote for each CS ally. So, if another player is in the Industrial Era, and you are not the host and don't have any of the magic wonders or passed resolutions, your 5 votes must consist of 2 (for yourself) + 3 (from CS allies). Do you have 3 CS allies?

Bah, this is wrong. It probably used to be correct, but perhaps was changed through patches or expansions. Evidently the way it works now is that half of the Civs must be in Industrial, or at least one in Modern.

The vote failed. But at least salt is now banned!

So I diligently went about my business of securing votes. Iroquois agreed to sell me their vote for 2 gold per turn plus some salt. Ha! Little good that does them now. Surely it costs more to bribe a vote in higher difficulties.

In addition, I lined up eight City State allies. But of course they have no delegates, yet. It seems certain that another Civ will join the Industrial Age next turn.

Vote for World Religion ended 3 to 3. I've wiped two Civs on a standard map, that's why there are so few. So only one more Civ needed to be Industrial for my CS allies delegates. And Aztecs abstained so they could get salt banned.

Mojo as world religion is proposed again, and now it seems certain it will pass. 30 freakin' turns from now.

Great game though.

#4265668 - 05/31/16 09:44 AM Re: Civ V Delegates/Proposal questions [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Sorry for the outdated info, I didn't look at the dates in the thread on civfanatics!

For future reference, you want to avoid wiping entire civilizations out. Take their capitals (that's all you really need for domination) and knock them down to one city to keep them from being any kind of threat later on. If you eliminate them completely the other civs will regard you as a warmonger and it will affect your diplomatic relations.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4265707 - 05/31/16 12:42 PM Re: Civ V Delegates/Proposal questions [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes thanks. I knew of the warmonger penalties but did it anyway. Sort of a test the waters thing. I just want to see what happens when you do. Or I was securing flanks. Err, yeah that's it. At this point it's aircraft, artillery, rifles and machine guns versus pointy sticks, so I have a little leeway there.

Austria I killed because I didn't want them gobbling up my city state friends. Songhai I killed because well, the dude has a flaming city behind him. I just beat up Inca because they had a huge amount of religious pressure that was causing me trouble. But I left him with one of his four cities. That leaves Aztecs, Sweden, Iroquois and Persia in this game.

Iroquois is the next target since they are next door and the leading AI nation. My spies are doing better and keep killing Iroquois spies and he's all like so sorry old bean, and I"m like it's alright old chap, but little does he know...

I'll play the next game on King and not be so ruthless.

I bought the Patronage opener for the Forbidden Palace so I could dominate this delegate thing. Next vote came up to determine the next host. And I had 14 delegates plus I was able to buy the votes of the AI civs. It seems strange that they will agree to sell the vote to support my world religion while at the same time hating me for proposing it.

#4266648 - 06/03/16 03:17 PM Re: Civ V Delegates/Proposal questions [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
In the end I went for a domination victory. I reasoned that since I was in such good position to do so might as well go through with it. I purposely cast too few votes to get world leader to avoid diplomatic victory, didn't build a spaceship even though I could and was probably just a few turns away from a cultural victory (though perhaps having just 2 other civs left at the end would have prevented that)

That game was a load of fun (as America). But in the end it was evident that I chose the wrong difficulty level. No one else had anything remotely resembling a modern army while I had all the top tier tech stuff. I had such a good start location (standard earth map). My capital was more or less near present day Moscow but in the end we were everywhere. My opening capital land ring contained 2 luxury resources and another when getting a second ring. I waited one turn at the start to get this. And it just snowballed from there.

So I've started a second game, this time as Poland on a large continents map, King level. Right away I've noticed more barbarians, but that's a good thing I suppose if you can handle them as it helps get your units trained quickly.

Biggest worry is my closest neighbor is Japan and having started my first primer game as them I know they are tough on the battlefield. My plan is to stay fairly tall, maybe 4 or 5 cities and go for a science victory. But I think it's probably best not to railroad yourself too much and go with the flow as the game unfolds. So we'll see.

Second biggest worry is I want to finish before Hearts of Iron on Monday, which seems unlikely. Conundrum.

#4266730 - 06/03/16 07:32 PM Re: Civ V Delegates/Proposal questions [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Yes, conundrum indeed! I found domination victories to be pretty satisfying. Science is ok, cultural is kinda meh. One of the most interesting games I've played recently was on a random map type which I think was fractal. Lots of long, thin slands, maybe one or two larger one. I was on a small one with the Mongols. We warred often until I finally beat them down. Only problem was I was rather resource poor and by the time I could expand beyond the island I was on, there wasn't much left worth grabbing. I was way behind th tech curve because of all the early wars too. I played for quite a bit, but there was no way to get back in the running, so I finally quit the game. Really interesting and fun game nonetheless.

-Robert Heinlein
#4266749 - 06/03/16 08:27 PM Re: Civ V Delegates/Proposal questions [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Domination was fun yes. I am sort of planning on turtling in this one. I'm guessing that I will be more likely to be declared on playing King? I don't know how much fun it would be to not have any war for an entire game so not sure really. Plus I should take advantage of the Hussars. I suppose that I should wait until then, then go on a short blitz while the Hussars are in their prime, which should be just as the Samurai are in decline.

I pretty much have to go for a science victory 'cause Poland can into space.

The early game is so much fun, as it is with most great strategy games. Extremely high 'one more turn' effect. Too little sleep.

Just gotta watch out for the Nobunaga character. Seems shady.

JC, what difficulty do you play? Those wars with the Mongols... who started them?

#4266771 - 06/03/16 10:04 PM Re: Civ V Delegates/Proposal questions [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I've been playing Prince difficulty. As I recall, prince is the 'even' level between AI and player. Beyond prince the AI gets a bunch of buffs.

The Mongols started all the wars (I swear!) except (I think) the last one. A couple of cities went back and forth between usin the course of the wars
before he finally got spanked for good. I've actually still got the starting save floating around. I've toyed with the idea of playing it again to see if I can do a little better this time.

-Robert Heinlein
#4266954 - 06/04/16 02:02 PM Re: Civ V Delegates/Proposal questions [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Give it another go.

I think I've found my sweet spot with King. Yes, the AI gets bonuses, but I'm finding it is essentially compensating of for the AI's lack of ability. In this Poland game I am trying to focus on tech/science and am doing quite well. Thing is, so are some of the AI nations. Korea (of course) and Polynesia are in a dead heat with me in the tech race. I've been gaining after a slow start and am overtaking although I had to rely on some tech theft to keep up. Rationalism helps alot and I'm part way through that tree. I understand Freedom synergizes well with a science focus so will probably go that route.

Looking at the points, which seem to be the best overall indicator, I am neck and neck with about 4 of the 10 other civs for the lead. On the Prince game I just finished I had about double the points of the best AI nation at this point. So it is resulting in a more competitive game, but without the AI being too advanced. Seems about right for me at this stage.

#4268317 - 06/08/16 04:36 PM Re: Civ V Delegates/Proposal questions [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
In the end I pulled away for an easy science victory. A couple AI nations had completed the Apollo Program, but none managed to build any parts. Spaceship launched in 1970. On King, the AI armies were more advanced and they had aircraft and battleships, but only I had giant death robots and you're not gonna stop those without some giant death robots of your own, as everyone knows.

Korea was the science competitor, and they had a massive navy, but we never came to blows. The best performer was Austria, they expanded like crazy and gobbled up city state after city state. I ended the game in a war with them, having cut them in half, just because.

The AI is lousy at city planning. I capture a capital 2/3 of the way through the game and they've built no barracks, granary, monument, etc. Just a few buildings and perhaps a few wonders.

With Hearts of Iron seeming to need a little seasoning, I decided to play another Civ V game, this time as England. Huge archipelago map, King and I disabled every victory type aside from domination and time. Should be interesting with so many civs all gunning to be strongest, most well rounded civ.

I got a lousy start with only one lux item anywhere nearby, and virtually no iron either. I sorta stacked the deck by going archipelago as England, so that's what I get I suppose. China DoW'd me by turn 70 because I had taken a calculated risk and neglected my army, but terrain was in my favor and they sued for peace.

I actually restarted a second time as England. In the first run, I ended up neighbors with Carthage. They had 4 cities by turn 45 and I was like how the 'ell did they manage that? That's crazy and I re-rolled.

#4268423 - 06/08/16 09:45 PM Re: Civ V Delegates/Proposal questions [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Yep, gotta love the Giant Death Robot. I've played domination games where I delayed my final push until I have a few just for fun!

-Robert Heinlein
#4268623 - 06/09/16 02:21 PM Re: Civ V Delegates/Proposal questions [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah and the XCom squads. In the America game I waited until I had some of those to assault the final capital. Once the human player has 3-range arty/battleships and either paratroopers or XCom squads it's game over. So simple to take a city with a few of these.

How do you choose good targets for stealing tech? I thought I would go with AI tech leader's largest cities that show the most stars. But the AI is stealing from me within a few turns while my spies take 40-60 turns it seems. What's the trick to getting fast thefts?

#4268723 - 06/09/16 09:06 PM Re: Civ V Delegates/Proposal questions [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I never really did much with theft to be honest. I tend to focus on science too, so I'm usually the victim rather than the perp.

-Robert Heinlein
#4268868 - 06/10/16 02:06 PM Re: Civ V Delegates/Proposal questions [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I could use some theft in this game as England, as Siam is running away with the tech lead. I've stolen a couple, but the AI is doing it quite a bit faster and I'd like to know how.

Another question.... Does the AI not suffer the desertion penalty for running a treasury deficit? I understand that if I go in the red, then troops will start to desert, but I've strangled some rivals yet they don't seem to suffer this fate.

#4277261 - 07/08/16 03:23 PM Re: Civ V Delegates/Proposal questions [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Not that anyone's watching...but.. the AI does not seem to suffer any consequence for running a deficit.

I think I've finally reached burnout on this one. I've played all sorts of setups, won each victory type and won games on each difficulty level from prince to immortal. But now I'm out of goals. Funny, how goal oriented I am, now that I've done them all I have little motivation to start anew.

I picked up a Civ IV/III bundle and maybe I'll give it a go. But I'm looking for my next game and can't sort it. Had a look through Steam and nothing is grabbing me.

Maybe it's time to get HOI IV.

#4277602 - 07/09/16 01:58 PM Re: Civ V Delegates/Proposal questions [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Civ IV Beyond The Sword is considered by many to be the high water mark of the series to date. I liked V better tbh, but that may just be me. I also found 1 unit-per-tile an interesting logistical challenge in military maneuvering, whereas it is the source of much whining for many of the diehards. So it could just be me!

-Robert Heinlein
#4277620 - 07/09/16 03:01 PM Re: Civ V Delegates/Proposal questions [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I liked the 1UPT combat in Civ V, not sure I would like the 'doomstack' in Civ IV, though I think I have to give it a go at some point. Spent a while looking through the Steam catalog last evening and not much interested me, so I fired up another run of Civ V, this time as Arabia. What a great Civ they are, excellent UB and UA. The Camel archers are good, but I find aside from late game UU's like America's B-17, most UU's are fairly quickly obsoleted and are the least important unique aspect of each Civ. Usually, the most important thing about a UU is if the special traits carry over on upgrade. Playing on Epic or Marathon keeps units relevant for longer though.

Arabia gets a religious spread bonus from trade routes and double oil, which is just great, considering their desert start bias means good chance of having oil in the first place. My religion is spreading like wildfire. I was just able to get of to a fantastic start with Arabia.

My favorite Civs were

America -- very powerful late game, with infantry that ignores terrain cost if you upgraded from Minutemen, and B-17s which are awesome. The UA lets you get off to a good start and it just snowballs from there.

Poland -- Amazing all around. Solidarity is awesome, and the Ducal Stable is too, but a bit map dependent

England -- Also map dependent. But on the right map they are unstoppable. Amazing navy, and longbows are like classical age artillery

Babylon -- Science powerhouse. And since science is king in this game, they are one of the very best. Didn;t play as Korea

I struggled a bit with Germany, couldn't ever really get going. Won the game, but it was a struggle all the way. Assyria same thing. Japan too, but they were my first and I didn't really know what I was doing. Very poor city placement, and I annexed a few cities without understanding the consequences, and happiness tanked so much that my capital's population dropped by half before I could stem the problem.

But before I left for work this morning I bought and installed Out of the Park Baseball 17, so my Civ time is surely coming to an end, at least for the moment. As a lifelong baseball fan and also a long time player of Football Manager, I'm thinking a new addiction has been found.

Thanks for all of your help JC. Hey, I wouldn't mind giving some Civ V MP a go sometime, so if you ever want to, let me know.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.