Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#4264633 - 05/27/16 05:56 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: ]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Originally Posted By: Troll
Or not gotten around to it... NTTR is, after all, still in open alpha testing.

Yep. There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but alway time to do it over. *sigh*

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4264706 - 05/27/16 09:11 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: cichlidfan]  
Snoopy_476th Offline
Snoopy_476th  Offline

Warner Robins Ga, USA
Originally Posted By: Eddie
In short, ED are either unaware of or not interested in modelling the real/correct taxi and parking flows at airbases.

Originally Posted By: cichlidfan

Yep. There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but alway time to do it over. *sigh*

ED knows they are incorrect and don't plan on fixing them, IIRC because of the AI taxi logic. I can't find the post on the ED boards when I brought this up but that was basically what the response was.

#4264934 - 05/28/16 05:05 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: jens198]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
What about the poor A-G ordinance behaviour?? Broken since eons ago, no words on fixing it...

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#4264944 - 05/28/16 05:53 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: jens198]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
What exactly is broken?

confused

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4264945 - 05/28/16 05:56 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: jens198]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

I don't know what Stratos is referring to, but personally I'd say the complete lack of shrapnel is a pretty big issue. Couple that with only 25% of the correct number of bomblets in the CBU-87, and you quickly realize why that particular weapon is near worthless.

#4264964 - 05/28/16 06:53 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: jens198]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
I wouldn't call that "broken" though. It's a design decision to not model shrapnel effects and instead rely on increased "blast" damage. For most larger munitions it seems to work well enough, although I agree that sometimes the results are a bit on the weak side. And while the CBU-87 does indeed contain less individual bomblets than the real thing each bomblet has an increased blast effect to make up for it. It's certainly not perfect but I do use the CBU-87 frequently and against soft targets it usually works adequately.

I certainly agree with you that adding shrapnel effects to DCS would be much appreciated, since many of the munitions with smaller warheads would profit from that.

EDIT: just tried out CBU-87 against soft targets in the newest version of 1.5 stable and it looks like the CBU-87s indeed do not cause enough damage. Dropping two '87 with a HOF of 500-1000' on a a mix of trucks, infantry and AAA I got ~10-12 kills. Not great, but IMO also far from a "broken" weapon.

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 05/28/16 07:31 PM.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

#4264978 - 05/28/16 07:57 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: jens198]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

Broken enough IMHO. Considering it's a weapon that relies on shrapnel, the increased blast doesn't really do much. Besides, last time I checked -97/-105s worked on infantry in DCS, so why use -87s anyway?

#4264991 - 05/28/16 08:44 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: jens198]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
I'm talking about russian weapons, specially rockets, totally useless even against infantry!!

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#4265016 - 05/28/16 10:59 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: scrim]  
Eddie Offline
Registered Lunatic
Eddie  Offline
Registered Lunatic

Originally Posted By: scrim
Broken enough IMHO. Considering it's a weapon that relies on shrapnel, the increased blast doesn't really do much. Besides, last time I checked -97/-105s worked on infantry in DCS, so why use -87s anyway?

The CBU-87/103 CEM isn't purely a fragmentation weapon. It's a shaped charge weapon with secondary frag and incendiary effects. The big problem with the CEM in DCS is that it is not effective against armour, and it should be able to take on anything up to and including T-62 and similar MBTs. The CEM was the replacement for the Mk-20 Rockeye.

The prime cause for the CEM being largely ineffective is the fact that in DCS there are only around 50 submunitions, as opposed to 202 in reality. Therefore for any given footprint the submunition density is lower than it should be.

Even if fragmentation were modelled, it wouldn't solve the problem.

Eddie

#4265050 - 05/29/16 02:02 AM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: jens198]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

Yeah, as you pointed out, that's where the 25% bomblets problem comes into play. Worthless weapon, might as well have an empty pylon in exchange for less drag.

#4265083 - 05/29/16 08:22 AM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: jens198]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: "Troll"
When you build a house, you start with leveling the ground, make the foundation, the walls and the roof. You're walking inside that house and complain that there are no carpets on the floors... Well, they'll get to that. There are other more pressing matters at hand...

I'm sure they appreciate the amount of time and patience you are giving them.

I dont think the people worried about these houses are worried about the carpets, fixtures and fittings!.....the company building these houses are nowhere near that stage yet........its the structural problems that offer the most concern.

Some people recall when the foundations were getting built over 5 years ago and many people gave the company their hard-earned money thinking the house should be finished by now especially as they did say it would ready many years ago.

The fact that they said the house would have 4 bedrooms, but it currently only has 2 was a change of direction no-one saw coming, on top of that they have never said whe you can move in - in all honesty I don't think they have a clue themselves. They are actually working on the other 2 bedrooms but because they altered the architects plans they are building them in a different compound so it will be interesting to see how they move and integrate it with the main part of the house.
Many people putting deposits on these houses are young families but the way they're going might be too old to actually use the fitness room by the time they are given the keys to the house - maybe the grandchildren will be able to get some use out of it!

Some family members aren't impressed either, mainly because this company that are building the house for you have got 10 other houses in a similar situation. There are families that have paid for the house and are waiting to move in but the company building it are rapidly getting a bad reputation for not completing the work that they start.......they're also saying that they never said when the house would be finished anyway and that the ground is moving and they keep having to re-work the foundations. The building company keep hiding behind small print in the contract too which states 'everything is subject to change'.......it wouldn't be so bad but they use this disclaimer for every mistake and change of direction they make.

If all that wasn't enough of a pain in the backside there has been almost complete silence on any progress on the main house over the last few months. Although they insist they are working on it and that resources aren't being diverted they have had another company building garden sheds for them. They have been selling these sheds almost every month and seems to be their current focus, probably because it us a quick money-spinner for them.

I have noticed that some of these sheds are having to be painted before delivery so they are definitely using some of their own resources for this. Also I have another concern here, because when the attach these sheds to the houses that have dodgy foundations (which then get fixed). the sheds need the roof beams removing and new ones inserting......the more sheds there are, the more work there is to do in future.

I did have shares in the company that are building the houses, but I've started removing these 'investments' and won't be lining their pockets any further until they start proving they can finish something they've started.

Do you hear the rumour they're not installing toilets in the bathroom or a cooker in the kitchen in future builds too? Apparently you have to pay them seperately for those. Sounds a bit greedy to me!

So, as you can see.......its nothing to do with the carpets at all - its the structural components and the reputation of the company at stake. Admittedly, it wouldn't even be a concern if it were just the little things and finishing touches that hadn't been finished however its the foundations and structural stuff that the company just can't seem to get right.

Don't bother going to the company website though because you won't see any truthful feedback or valid complaints.....they only allow photos of the completed showhomes on there.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4265109 - 05/29/16 11:53 AM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: jens198]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

@Paradaz

Excellent post sir

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4265111 - 05/29/16 12:01 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: jens198]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
excellent post Paradaz !

#4265115 - 05/29/16 12:17 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: ]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: Paradaz
So, as you can see.......its nothing to do with the carpets at all - its the structural components and the reputation of the company at stake. Admittedly, it wouldn't even be a concern if it were just the little things and finishing touches that hadn't been finished however its the foundations and structural stuff that the company just can't seem to get right.

LOL! Slow sunday?
I don't think you read my post to the end... wink

There are other more pressing matters at hand...

So why bother even trying to make it sound like people are whinging about carpets when you're even admitting yourself that the foundations and walls still have major issues? The 'pressing matters' that you mention are exactly what everyone else is making noise about......don't let that interfere with your story though.

Does it really take a parallel about how houses are built for people to understand why people have concerns about ED and the DCS story and are so dismissive about any negativity?......people arent complaining about the finishing touches at all - its at a much more fundamental level than that!

#4265124 - 05/29/16 01:20 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: jens198]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
While it is true that there are more pressing matters at hand, I doubt they know what these matters are and even if they did, I doubt they know or are interested in fixing it. But so what? We have a new shed!

Oh bother... this shed seems to be broken in key areas as well and it doesn't "fit" the house properly.... but we have no time to fix the shed as it'll be broken by the time the new foundation settles in anyway. So let's just go over here and try this OTHER new shed!

popcorn

This issue regarding the -87 is quite disappointing as the -87 and -97 were my favorite weapons in the A-10C.

- Ice
#4265126 - 05/29/16 01:31 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: jens198]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Well, the complaint I was refering to in my original post was about taxi flow at airbases, and that they didn't fix it...

'Pressing matters' is plural........so what are the other problems you're supposedly describing other than taxi flow at Nevada?

You're trying to make it sound like you're talking about the taxi flow, however is this even a priority anyway?.....you're clearly taking about something else and have suddenly gone all shy when challenged. Its noteworthy you also bring up the Alpha......because everything is subject to change which is very convenient when try to defend ED's lack of intent to address these issues.

Do you care to update everyone on the Nevada progress regarding 1.5x and 2.x? ED have been very quiet for the last few months - perhaps they're busy with a new campaign or have diverted resources to assist patching in the payware F-5E campaign instead wink

#4265130 - 05/29/16 02:05 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: - Ice]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Originally Posted By: - Ice

This issue regarding the -87 is quite disappointing as the -87 and -97 were my favorite weapons in the A-10C.

The CBU-97s actually work very well. And the detail with which they are modeled in DCS is pretty impressive.

#4265133 - 05/29/16 02:18 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: Para_Bellum]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
The CBU-97s actually work very well. And the detail with which they are modeled in DCS is pretty impressive.

How are the explosions in DCS now? I used to love watching the CBUs come in and "rain death" upon the enemy, but the last time I played, there would be micro-stutters and stutters whenever explosions would go off even if I'm not looking at the direction in which the explosion has occurred.

- Ice
#4265140 - 05/29/16 02:46 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: ]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Poster 'Eddie' wrote that the taxi and airbase flows are wrong and that ED either was unaware or not interested in fixing them.

I did not bring up this problem.

I just commented that maybe, since NTTR is still in alpha, they might still fix it.

'Pressing matters' is plural........so what are the other problems you're supposedly describing. You've already said yourself that the taxi flow isn't a priority so what are these pressing matters?.....it clearly isn't taxi flow at all.....you're still trying to wriggle out of explaining it and just can't bring yourself to talk about something that ED are struggling with.

Check Wags latest L-39 aerobatic video from yesterday. They are working on the Caucasus to merge it into DCS2.
Youtube Video Wags L-39C

Who is talking about Caucasus? The subject at hand is Nevada...

Originally Posted By: "Paradaz"
Do you care to update everyone on the Nevada progress regarding 1.5x and 2.x? ED have been very quiet for the last few months - perhaps they're busy with a new campaign or have diverted resources to assist patching in the payware F-5E campaign instead

Referring to your link though, it's quite amusing that Wags refers to 'all the information in the latest newsletter' lol! He means the L39 acrobatic display and bundle discount on buying L39/Nevada together...oh yeah, that's an absolute minefield of information because there is no other information in the newsletter at all. I think we can clearly replace his comment there with 'there is absolutely no information about progress on Nevada whatsoever because Caucasus is currently being worked on'....is that really the update of information you are referring to. I'll even help you out here....this ridiculous 'update' can be found at 12:40 of the clip you posted and lasts for approximately 20 seconds whilst he tells us there is NO PROGRESS.

So, it's true that no-one including Wags has any golden snippets of information about progress on Nevada because no-one is actually working on it. You know, this is the map whereby the functionality that was supposed to be released about 2 years ago was cut in half and separated into two different dev branches......and it still doesn't have a release date.

This is the same map that still has no functional missions for existing platforms other than a sightseeing tour/ ramp start for the Hawk and some FC cross-over.

This is the same map that promised much and has delivered very little.

This is the same map that has split the user base into two distinct groups and has given ED two distince development branches.....it looks to be a development branch too much for ED to handle.

In a simple sentence....what a mess this has become.

#4265145 - 05/29/16 03:02 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: - Ice]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Originally Posted By: - Ice

How are the explosions in DCS now? I used to love watching the CBUs come in and "rain death" upon the enemy, but the last time I played, there would be micro-stutters and stutters whenever explosions would go off even if I'm not looking at the direction in which the explosion has occurred.

The stutter/lag from CBUs has been fixed for quite some time. There are also new effects for the bomblets.

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 05/29/16 03:02 PM.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.