Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4256987 - 05/06/16 01:17 PM Re: Late-war Albatros survival techniques? [Re: JFM]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Polovski
In Sopwith Scout 7309, Sir Gordon Taylor recounts...

Great story! Is that the book's title? Sopwith Scout 7309 ?

Originally Posted By: JFM
That a Camel "got" MvR is hilarious.

Vott??? It vass nott der Camel??? duck

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4258054 - 05/08/16 11:50 PM Re: Late-war Albatros survival techniques? [Re: JFM]  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn

They don't realize--as my new book will point out (nothing wrong with a little self-promotion)--that the entire May chase was already behind allied lines. Also, MvR has something like 15 credited victories OVER the lines. 21 April was not even close to being the first time he was across, or across at low altitude. What he did that day he had done many, many times before. It wasn't something new or caused by "PTSD" or any other such nonsense. The only difference on 21 April was he bought a bullet.

May I ask when your new book will be out JFM? And the title? smile

"Somewhere out there is page 6!"
"But Emillo you promised ....... it's postpone"
ASWWIAH Member
#4258059 - 05/09/16 12:17 AM Re: Late-war Albatros survival techniques? [Re: MeneMene]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
I was going to ask that myself. Always looking for WW1 aviation books.

And since you brought it up JFM:
What victories of MvR were over Allied territory AND low? I have multiple books on his combats and would like to check it out. I was, of course, aware of some of his victories being over Allied lines but my impression was that, generally, they were two-seaters on ArtObs. Or are we using "low" as a somewhat relative term? Or am I mixing the "victories", "Allied territory", and "low" all up together?
And don't worry about a spoiler alert - I will still buy your book!

#4258175 - 05/09/16 12:03 PM Re: Late-war Albatros survival techniques? [Re: MeneMene]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
Pips and Duke, the book is called "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen." It is so big and inclusive that the demands of print-on-demand (whereby the book isn't created until it is ordered, which saves the publisher up-front and storage costs and allows real time additions/corrections to reach publication for the very next book, rather than the very next batch) required it be two volumes (there is a 400-page limitation). This book is bigger than all of my previous books combined; there is one chapter that is almost as large as an entire Osprey book.

From the Publisher (Aeronaut Books):

"Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen
Comprehensive Victory Summaries and Combat Statistics

This is a heavily-illustrated, comprehensive summary of all 80 victories of the famous Red Baron, the leading ace of WWI. Full details of each victory are given, including color profiles of the aircraft flown by Richthofen, the type and serial of the downed aircraft, the names of the aircrew and their fate, etc. So much information is provided that two volumes were necessary.

Volume 1 covers von Richthofen’s career up to his wounding in action on 6 July 1917 and has 203 photos (81 in color), 12 illustrations (8 in color), and a painting plus color profiles in its 240 pages.

Volume 2 covers von Richthofen’s career from his wounding in action on 6 July 1917 until his death in action and has 163 photos (44 in color) and color profiles in its 234 pages.

These volumes are of interest to aviation historians, enthusiasts, and modelers alike.

Cover spine width:
V1: 240 pages x 0.002347 = 0.56 inches
V2: 234 pages 0.002347 = 0.55 inches
V1 Total cover width = 17.25” + 0.56” = 17.81” (includes 0.125” bleeds)
V2 Total cover width = 17.25” + 0.55” = 17.80” (includes 0.125” bleeds)

Totals:
474 pages
366 photos (125 in color)
12 illustrations (8 color)
Airplane profiles for every victory
1 color painting"

It is supposed to be available prior to summer. I'll keep you guys informed.

Duke, as far as the victories behind the lines, I have to reference my own book--which, honestly, is the reason I wrote it. It started off as just a list of information because I was tired of searching through a thousand other books that had conflicting information. So I sought to separate the wheat from the chaff and have a useful reference guide at my fingertips (I'm far from being Jon Guttman, who knows everything and can recall everything from memory in an instant--his brain makes Wikipedia seem like a grocery list scrawled on the back of an envelope). However, I started it eight years ago and it grew into the beast it became, and corrected so many myths and errors, that I thought others might find it useful as well. But, trust me, I'm not going to retire to Fiji on its sales. biggrin

Anyway, yes, most behind the lines were two-seaters. But, respectfully, that's not the point. He was behind the lines. Didn't matter if he was chasing a single- or two-seater. The altitudes varied but they could be quite low. Udet wrote about how after shooting down a fighter at low altitude MvR led Jasta 11 on two strafing runs against marching troops, during which they received return fire and MvR's wings were hit. (I think that was #69). MvR recalled an event early in his pilot career as a two-seater pilot in which he bombed and strafed Russian troops at low altitude. As a two-seat obs pilot, he'd been across the lines many, many times. So although Jasta tactical strategy saw them "let the customers come to the shop," he'd been and was used to being behind the lines since the very beginning, sometimes even on the deck. Doing so 21 April was neither new nor the result of any supposed "PTSD" that was "caused" by his wounding 6 July. All of that has been hyper-exaggerated over time, and I've refuted it with so much evidence that neither Perry Mason nor the Dream Team could overcome it.

Anyway, I've taken thread hijacking to new heights! Or lows. Please accept my apologies.

#4258184 - 05/09/16 12:18 PM Re: Late-war Albatros survival techniques? [Re: MeneMene]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
No, no. Any information is good information and always fascinating.
And yes, please let us know when it is available.

#4258291 - 05/09/16 03:48 PM Re: Late-war Albatros survival techniques? [Re: JFM]  
kaa Offline
kaa  Offline

France
Originally Posted By: Shredward
I thought you might be amused wave
Cheers
Shredward

I know! smile I couldn't resist biting that juicy hook.

The first thing I did when i read Shredward post was to look at his location: CA-NA-DA ;-)

"Anyone can shoot you down if you don't see him coming but it takes a wonderfully good Hun to bag a Camel if you're expecting him."
Tom Cundall.
#4258506 - 05/10/16 02:39 AM Re: Late-war Albatros survival techniques? [Re: MeneMene]  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
Wonderful news JFM. I'll keep my eyes open for your news on it's release. smile

"Somewhere out there is page 6!"
"But Emillo you promised ....... it's postpone"
ASWWIAH Member
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ