Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4293046 - 09/02/16 06:02 PM Re: Battlefield 5 will play in a WWI-scenario... [Re: Lasstmichdurch]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
Has anyone else played the open beta?

I have for a little bit and I guess I would have to agree with Stache. It looks amazing, but it's probably not my cup of tea.

I flew the planes and literally HATED it. While the extremely limited number of planes looked great, the flight models were ridiculous - if you could even call them that. The Stars Wars like Laser beams they shot out were beyond being "over the top" and the fact that you flew around in this tiny little fishbowl, usually no higher than 500 feet was a major let down. I wasn't able to get TrackIR to work either, so it feels very claustrophobic. For myself, flying was a total write off.

Infantry hop around like bunnies who run at somewhere near 30 MPH. Sorry, but no thank you.

Ground Vehicle combat I will say was more enjoyable. Again, the tanks are far too fast for historical accuracy but at least it actually felt fun to drive them and aim the MG or cannon and destroy stuff.

Speaikng of blowing stuff up, the destruction capabilities are cool and a very nice feature but not enough to make BF1 feel like anything more than a pretty demo of what DX12 is capable of.

I'm not saying BF1 is a bad game. In fact it's probably a great game, which is all it really tries to be. It just makes for an utterly horrific sim. Again, in it's defense it's not trying to be a sim.

So I guess what I learned while playing the BF1 beta so far is that what I would really prefer to be playing is ARMA IV set in WWI. If you want a beautiful Bunny Hoppers with a WWI coat of paint, BF1 is your thing. If you want to know what it felt like to actually be there...it's probably safe to take a pass.

Anyone elses impressions?

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4293063 - 09/02/16 06:31 PM Re: Battlefield 5 will play in a WWI-scenario... [Re: Lasstmichdurch]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
I tried out the open beta on PC, which taught me that, once and for all, the 745GTX in my Dell will not cut it for new games... rofl

Tried it out on the PS4 I got as a Christmas gift last year and the results were much better. I agree with Hellshade. It's a Battlefield game. And while Battlefield is *more* realistic than say, a Call of Duty title, it has never been a fully authentic simulation of real events - even back to Battlefield 1942. What makes the game work is a sense of teamwork, and meaningful objectives beyond team deathmatch. If you want a military simulator, I hear the ArMA series is much more in line with what you'd be looking for.

After trying it out, it's not bad, if you accept it for what it is. The mechanics are decidedly different from Battlefield 3 and 4. Your player, though he moves far faster than most WWI troops would, does feel noticeably slower than his BF4 counterpart. Weapons too, feel heavier and slower (again, much faster than was reality, but when compared with previous BF titles). Accuracy too is far less than previous titles, with the Lewis gun pulling shots that would, generously, hit the broadside of a barn under sustained fire. The very basic loadout provided by the Beta teaches compromise - you have to adapt to the weapon you're using. A shotgun is great at close range but you are buggered out in the open. The same can apply to vehicles - you have to think about what the strengths and weaknesses are before you jump into the fray. Graphically it's very pretty (man what OBD could do with the Frostbite engine), and in terms of audio, DICE has always been off the scales brilliant. Gunfire, explosions, even the clatter of your equipment on your pack all sounds satisfying. Hellshade, if you haven't, set the Audio mix to "War Tapes" and you won't be disappointed!

As for the airplanes? I actually enjoyed the fact that years of OFF has given me a laser like ability to lead shoot other machines. I attacked a large bomber from the confines of a Dr1 and picked its left wing apart until it collapsed. The damage is pretty. The flight modeling is non-existent and the controls, with rudder and throttle tied to the left thumb stick and the aileron and elevator to the right feels counter-intuitive. You can't over stress the machine and you can't really stall it out. It sort of feels like an X-Wing from Battlefront slowed down.

With all of that said, it's a very interesting turn in the BF series. We've moved away from WWII and the Modern Era of Battlefield Bad Company, Bad Company 2, BF3, BF4, etc. I think it's a great shift for DICE to take - I read that EA gave them massive push back against this idea so I wonder how much of the mechanics are compromise to keep the publisher happy. I'll be curious to see what other maps will ship with the final version.

That said, when I've got the extra $40 to get a game - I'm getting WOFF 3! cheers

Last edited by CaptSopwith; 09/02/16 06:37 PM.
#4294323 - 09/08/16 01:23 AM Re: Battlefield 5 will play in a WWI-scenario... [Re: Lasstmichdurch]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
*Bump*

Just wanted to share that the Beta also features a setting for your fighter plane called "Bomber Killer." The setting fits Le Prier Rockets to your Triplane so you can fire them at moving bombers!

I think I last used a rocket in air to air combat in Red Baron 3D online! rofl

#4298866 - 09/25/16 10:43 AM Re: Battlefield 5 will play in a WWI-scenario... [Re: Lasstmichdurch]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

#4298923 - 09/25/16 03:26 PM Re: Battlefield 5 will play in a WWI-scenario... [Re: Lasstmichdurch]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
I hate it when my tripe gets stuck in a two-seater... rolleyes

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ