Hop To
#4252304 - 04/23/16 09:33 PM Question about FSX/X-Plane & SteamOS/machines  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
I am currently volunteering at an aviation museum and they have kiosks with some really old PCs and an old copy of Flight Simulator. Speaking with the director, he expressed a desire to upgrade the kiosks so museum attendees (specifically kids) could experience something more modern (visually etc). However, being a museum, obviously the cost is a major consideration.

I know I could probably build a PC for the cost of a Steam Machine but I'm thinking more about the ease of use for the non-techy types when I'm not around to help. I will consider all variables the more I research the machines but I'm wondering if anyone knows if FSX and X-Plane work on SteamOS.

Also, has anyone used a Steam controller with these sims? Or even a console controller. This will not be used for hardcore flight sim purposes (they DO have joysticks on site at present, so they could always be used as well).

I'm just trying to find the simplest and cost effective solution for them.

I've looked around the Internet and have seen that X-Plane has SteamOS support and is supposed to work with a Steam controller, but haven't found any actual evidence anyone has been able to use both. I've seen nothing at all about FSX working in SteamOS nor anyone using a Steam controller with it.

I appreciate any practical information on this front. Thanks.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4253055 - 04/26/16 05:27 AM Re: Question about FSX/X-Plane & SteamOS/machines [Re: Razorback]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted By: Razorback

Also, has anyone used a Steam controller with these sims? Or even a console controller. This will not be used for hardcore flight sim purposes (they DO have joysticks on site at present, so they could always be used as well).

I hooked up an Xbox 360 controller for FSX one day for some kids and I discovered that for GA planes it's really awesome, and now for that kind of flying I use it almost exclusively. I never had to re-map a thing, and having your view control on the right thumbstick is nearly as good as a TrackIR - maybe even better in some ways.

It's not nearly so good for jets though, reason being throttle control. It's a button pushing affair. That works fine for GA planes where you can just listen to the sound, or you have a fuel flow or manifold pressure gauge (it's actually SUPERIOR to my HOTAS in that you can do these super fast button taps and adjust your throttle with better granularity than the HOTAS throttle!), but with jets I found myself having to look at the virtual cockpit throttle lever to "know where I'm at" for the larger adjustments, and when you're trying to finesse the throttle in a jet on final approach forget about it - you want a throttle lever.

But that's for "flying by the books" - with crash/stress realism settings lowered for kids (or the uninitiated) the 360 controller is definitely the easier way to just throw someone into a jet and let them have a go. Kids in particular - they just "get" the console controller way faster.

Oh and there is one other big plus to the "button push throttle control" - I've noticed over the years that people (and kids in particular) automatically manipulate the throttle WAY too much in a flightsim, even if you try to explain to them that you don't really do that with airplanes. Console controller gets rid of that.

Last edited by Zamzow; 04/26/16 05:31 AM.
#4253607 - 04/27/16 07:47 PM Re: Question about FSX/X-Plane & SteamOS/machines [Re: Razorback]  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
I actually enjoy flying with my PS3 controller in ARMA 3. I find the second analog stick works extremely well as a poor-man's TrackIR.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.