Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4242746 - 03/23/16 09:23 PM Always learn something new - 24 plane RFC Squadrons.  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Just when you think you have a handle on your history you are thrown a curve ball.

Last night I was doing some bedtime reading from a respected WW1 author who stated that in March 1918 the RFC reorganized (at least their Scout Squadrons) into a new TO&E to contain 24 aircraft with additional administrative personnel being assigned so the Squadron Commander could fly if he liked.

Done a lot of reading over a lot of years and never heard this before. Doesn't mean the author is wrong I am just surprised I am just hearing of this now.

Anyone hear of this before? And how was the squadron now organized?

#4250731 - 04/18/16 09:33 PM Re: Always learn something new - 24 plane RFC Squadrons. [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
When I saw this first, I went to the famous 1 squadron photos showing lots of aircraft.

This one and the ones like it.

I counted and counted but couldn't be sure they were extra, spares or whatever.

Then I came across the following in D Mintern's History of 73 squadron.

"Wind, rain and fog then put a stop to almost all flying until mid-May [previous mentioned date is 25th April]. An order had been promulgated that all Camel squadrons would have an increase in establishment to 27 pilots and 25 aircraft, and this resulted in six new pilots arriving - Lts Leyson, Douglass and Mortimer, all USAS seconded to the RAF, and Hayes, Doane and Drewbrook the last an old member who had been struck off strength to hospital in mid-March."

So it looks like there was indeed such an order. It might have begun in March and only taken effect by mid-May.

Where the new pilots added to flights or was a new D flight created? I can't say for certain, but previously changes in flight commanders have been recorded, and there's nothing here about a new one, so I would say the new pilots were added to the existing 3 flights.

#4250734 - 04/18/16 09:42 PM Re: Always learn something new - 24 plane RFC Squadrons. [Re: DukeIronHand]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
So can I be the green leg and ask what was the average number of pilots and planes per squadron prior to this?

I got fired as the door man at a sperm bank.
Apparently it's in poor taste to tell leaving customers "Thanks for coming."

Former U.S. Army Medic - SGT.
#4250737 - 04/18/16 09:51 PM Re: Always learn something new - 24 plane RFC Squadrons. [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
It changed over time from what I can tell. In March 1918 it was obviously 21 pilots, if 6 more takes you to 27.

It might have increased on the quiet earlier. 18 aircraft flew across when 73 squadron travelled to France in January 1918. There were only 5 officers who did not fly across, and presumably some of them weren't pilots anyway. If three of them were pilots, then that's your 21. But that leaves only 2 officers for the entire ground operation, which seems pretty light to me (there were 137 'other ranks').

#4250740 - 04/18/16 10:32 PM Re: Always learn something new - 24 plane RFC Squadrons. [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Thanks for the information sir.
Prior to this my understanding (and I have seen it in writing) was that the scout squadrons were organized into 3 flights (A, B, and C) and that a flight normally consisted of 5 aircraft. On paper anyway. I am sure that having a spare aircraft or two (or three) was not totally unusual?

With the new organization was there now a "D Flight"? Or was the extra manpower just used to supplement and provide a rest for squadron pilots? Again in the previous 3 flight squadron there was certainly flight integrity but they wernt afraid to mix flights either if the situation demanded. With the new organization were flight assignments much more fluid and pilots assigned to a flight commander on a mission by mission basis as the situation demanded? Or, perhaps like you surmise, when it was A Flights turn not every one had to fly (having 7 or 8 pilots) to provide a rest to certain pilots. Or to cover while on leave.
Be very curious exactly how the new squadron was organized. Still very surprised I am just finding out about this!
Thanks again.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM