Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4250133 - 04/16/16 08:15 AM Planesets, crude and smart  
MrJelly Online tunes
Veteran
MrJelly  Online Tunes
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
This information applies to 1.29, 128F and 1.28e.

If the EAW folder contains a "dir.set" file with the folder paths then when the exe looks for files any in the root folder will have first priority and files in the theatre folder have second priority.
If a planeset has been selected then files in the planeset folder have third priority.

At this point the exe will look for a "PDir.set" and a "FMDir.set" file in the planeset folder. If they are present then the exe will read them to get the paths to the skin and FM data files.
This is the "smart" system because these files reference "planes" folders which are effectively libraries of folders which can be selected. Multiple copies are not needed.

However, the "crude" system can be very useful without the need to make "PDir.set" and "FMDir.set" files.
Yesterday, as a response to a question from Moggy I re-assembled the 1.28c theatre for China with two plansets.

Planset1 has all the original China aircraft files, and aircraft selection screens etc:

Planset2 has Ade Kelly's Flying Tigers aircraft and selection screens:

The "crude" method also works in 1.28c, and using it yesterday saved me from having to split the 30 aircraft in each planeset into folders, make a "Planes" folder and the "PDir.set" and "FMDir.set" files.
It worked well with the 1.29 640x480 screen version of the eaw.exe.

Planeset1:

Planeset2:

wink

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4250147 - 04/16/16 10:12 AM Re: Planesets, crude and smart [Re: MrJelly]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
Jel, Have you given any more thought to the idea of a central plane repository rather than these separate plane set folders.

It would be the ultimate EAW set up in which a player could build their own set of planes from the available inventory.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4250176 - 04/16/16 01:46 PM Re: Planesets, crude and smart [Re: MrJelly]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

An "override" planeset selection would be neat. But I would think Jel would have to re-program his DSP front end extensively.

But picking the plane (or set) you want vs any plane (or set) is genius thought.

#4250186 - 04/16/16 02:52 PM Re: Planesets, crude and smart [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Online tunes
Veteran
MrJelly  Online Tunes
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
Quote:
Jel, Have you given any more thought to the idea of a central plane repository rather than these separate plane set folders.

What I have never been clear about is how you think the repository is to be structured. I would assume that there could be 100s of folders, which could make searching difficult without a sensible structure.

Consider the pathnames in Ralf's ETO set-up:

One of my planeset makers is built around it.
Here I am looking for a spitfire skin:

If it is not structured well then the user may end up scrolling through some very long lists.

How many planes would a user be selecting, and if files are to be moved then where would the files go?

Once I am clear about how you want this to work I can set something up, but at the moment it is too vague wink

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4250214 - 04/16/16 05:31 PM Re: Planesets, crude and smart [Re: MrJelly]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
Ok, well let's see what we can do.

How about splitting up the inventory by side and country or just country? ( I'll be glad to do the scut work on this if we decide to go forward.)

So instead of this -

Malta140_Planes\Skins\DAW Fury and Malta140_Planes\FM\DAW Fury_FM

or

SPAWPlanes\Skins\SPAW_P38F_FM and SPAWPlanes\FMs\SPAW_P38F_FM

More like this -

Inventory\Skins\Allied\British\Fury and Inventory\FM\Allied\British\Fury_FM

or

Inventory\Skins\Allied\US\P38F and Inventory\FM\Allied\US\P38F_FM

I think you'd have to have an error check in the picker to make sure at least one bomber is selected per side as well as 16 allied and 14 Axis planes for a total of 30 to ensure no CTD's due to some issues with the campaign/squad/mission parameters.

As for where the files go I'd rather leave that to you as you're the maven with regard to file placement. I'm not sure what would work best but maybe a "custom planeset folder".

As Mark said, this would be a fantastic achievement. I'm not sure if ANY flight sim ever gave the players the flexibility to make their own unique set of planes.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.