Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4249462 - 04/13/16 04:35 PM OT: post moved from WOFF 3 Dev thread.  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Thats also counting for Rof btw, both have there strenght and weakness, Pat Wilson did made a good job in making PW-CG, which he will improve, read this

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:52 by mr Wilson
It's in progress. I probably spend half my weekends working on it. Excuse me while I indulge my inner geek and try to explain what I am doing.

When I started doing BoS the code bases diverged. Somethings from PWCG that would be nice in BoS didn't make it in. Many improvements that I did for BoS would be great for RoF but the complexity of merging back was huge. So I decided to do something even more difficult in the short term but much more beneficial in the long term - I merged the two code bases. Using the BoS version as a baseline I pulled in all of the RoF specific stuff. 4000 compilation errors. Fixed those. Dozens of run time errors. Fixed those. Now I'm working on getting missions in ROF up and running. Making good progress. Probably another month at least because I have to back test BoS also to make sure that I didn't mess that up (should be easier since BoS is the baseline).

It was a challenging exercise in software development. All of the WWIisms and WWIIisms (plane set, mission types, dozens of other things) had to be extracted and moved behind interfaces. All of the BoSisms and RoFisms (things that worked differently between the two products) also had to to be moved behind interfaces. That left the core code which doesn't know or care whether its 1917 or 1942.

In the end BoS and RoF both benefit. BoS will have new target types. RoF will get all of the enhancements that I made for BoS, including a fix for circling AI. Any future improvements will benefit both. If it is specific to a product then the other product will not see it or have to worry about it.

Going to need lots of help testing.

#4249465 - 04/13/16 04:51 PM Re: WOFF 3 Dev page opened [Re: Polovski]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
My hat is always off to Mr Wilson who has put a tremendous amount of time and effort into creating a functional single player campaign for RoF. He is both dedicated and talented, especially given that he receives no special support from the devs that I am aware of. Kudos to Pat!

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse