Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 54 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 53 54
#4247695 - 04/07/16 08:45 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
The DLC's author has a number of terrain mods available so it is easy to get a preview of what the potential for the DLC is.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4247740 - 04/07/16 11:29 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
BlackLion213 Offline
BlackLion213  Offline

Ca
Originally Posted By: Paradaz
Not if it means having to create patches, game updates and moves resources away from all the UNFINISHED content that some of us have already paid for.

There isn't a problem with people creating content/campaigns for DCS World at all, however and as the thread subject suggests its a concern if ED move their focus away from the continued development of the world in general to focusing on the creation and/or suppport of campaigns simply because its a quick profit.

I think this is 4 campaigns in 3 months now......what news or progress have we seen for DCSWorld (not 3rd party modules) in the same timeframe other than 'progress continues'? We still haven't even got working missions in v2.0 yet but ED are happy to feed us payware campaigns that will only ever function in one of their current branches........until the point they need to put additional resources into making all these new campaigns compatible with 2.5.

So I'm pretty confused here....

ED has one module in Beta status (Bf109K-4) and Belsimtek, which is the only 3rd party to release multiple modules, has 1/4 modules in Beta (the Mi-8 and it certainly doesn't seem to be a Beta - its awesome).

Also, there are 2 brand new campaigns for NTTR and a total of 4 campaigns for the Caucasus (1 was released before NTTR, 2 user created campaigns, and the last is for the Ka-50).

So what is all the "unfinished work" that has been paid for?

Are you recommending that ED halt the work or release of every 3rd party till all the existing 3rd party modules are out of Beta (like VEAO and Aviodev)?

Are you saying that others who create content cannot release anything till everything else is done? We shouldn't get to try anything new till DCS 2.5 is out? Polychop shouldn't release the Gazelle until 2.5 since there could be a problem that requires a patch?

Is it terrible that content is released for our entertainment while we wait for DCS2.5, etc. What about the fact that many of the new features we want are already part of 1.5 and 2.0. I think it would have sucked if ED held off releasing DCS2 with NTTR and the new NTTR campaigns just so they could release 2.5 as the first look at new maps and new content. Why wait so long?

All of this sounds remarkably nuts, is this what you are recommending?

Please fill me in...

-Nick

#4247759 - 04/08/16 12:27 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: BlackLion213]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: BlackLion213

I guess one could argue the DCS WWII project?

- Spitfire
- P-47D
- Me.262A1
- The Normandy Map

Keeping in mind...over 400 people payed $100 or more 3 years ago.

I see you didn't mention the Nevada map...are we now supposed to consider content listed as Alpha "finished"?

I'm not saying I 100% agree with the original topic...it just seemed you neglected to mention some things that are hardly finished.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4247761 - 04/08/16 12:28 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: "BlackLion213"

Are you recommending that ED halt the work or release of every 3rd party till all the existing 3rd party modules are out of Beta (like VEAO and Aviodev)?

Is that a serious question? It had nothing to do with 3rd party content.......it had everything to do with ED taking far too many projects on with resources spread far too thinly, to the point where new platforms and content is announced regularly and not a single product is ever completed.

Let's not pretend for one second that ED planned to have the 1.5 and 2.0 branches in concurrent development.....that happened because ED couldn't plan a piss up in a brewery and rushed out the NTTR map without all the features because it was already 5 years late. Releasing it half-baked meant development was split in two.

Does the WW2 content also ring any bells? Already well over a year late and no real signs of anything going on......at least we can look forward to the paywhere carrier soon if nothing else - hopefully they'll also give us the highly sought after functionality that will allow us to walk around it first-person, said no-one ever!

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4247767 - 04/08/16 12:43 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Force10]  
BlackLion213 Offline
BlackLion213  Offline

Ca
Originally Posted By: Force10

I guess one could argue the DCS WWII project?

- Spitfire
- P-47D
- Me.262A1
- The Normandy Map

Keeping in mind...over 400 people payed $100 or more 3 years ago.

They also paid that money to someone else and ED picked up the pieces when it fell apart. They also paid into a Kickstarter project, which is effectively a diffused version of "angel funding". There is no guarantee of a return and the majority of projects like this do not make it very far. It's great that the project is still moving forward and many parts of the project may be done this year (3 out of 4 on your list). But actually getting a return from something like Kickstarter is more of a bonus than anything else IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Force10

I see you didn't mention the Nevada map...are we now supposed to consider content listed as Alpha "finished"?

I'm not saying I 100% agree with the original topic...it just seemed you neglected to mention some things that are hardly finished.

NTTR has planned upgrades, but I'd hardly call it unfinished. As a customer who bought it, I have no complaints and I'm not aware of any specific limitations for using the map. I would like the "merge" to be finished, but I'm having a lot of fun with DCS nonetheless. There may be more features for NTTR in the future, but what we have now is excellent.

I think too many people prefer to see the glass half-empty, even when its mostly full. Thats my take.

-Nick

#4247769 - 04/08/16 12:51 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: BlackLion213]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA

They also paid that money to someone else and ED picked up the pieces when it fell apart.

ED was listed as a partner on the project. The money now resides in the code and models that ED has.

Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

#4247774 - 04/08/16 01:01 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
BlackLion213 Offline
BlackLion213  Offline

Ca
Okey dokey.

-Nick

#4247863 - 04/08/16 07:41 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: BlackLion213]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK

I think too many people prefer to see the glass half-empty, even when its mostly full. Thats my take.

-Nick

In my opinion you're onto something, its just that you have it the wrong way around. ED have the opportunity to pull off something really special however they are not even close to fulfilling their potential.

What doesn't help is the community who readily accept anything they just throw out......as for suggesting that the 'glass is mostly full' at this point in time is a perfect example and it's no wonder why ED continue to start new modules, announce new content and leave everything else unfinished if they're getting feedback like that and assume they're doing everything just fine.

The glass is most definitely half-full because ED have a lot to finish off and a long way to go before the 'World' really starts coming together......it's still a jigsaw puzzle with two corners and half of of the pieces missing - we still can't really see what their vision is because there are lots of areas that only have 2 or 3 pieces connected together and nothing linking them to each other.

Split development branches with differing functionality
Random mix of airframes
Ground radar
Multiseat
Integration of theatres
Era specific content

I could go on.......but these are key parts of the puzzle that just aren't linked at the moment. Yet people seem happy for campaign after campaign that will only work in one of the Dev branches for starters. I want to see progress in the things that really matter.....not having ED constantly providing little patches and updates that only support new content.

#4247865 - 04/08/16 07:44 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
Penguran Offline
Penguran  Offline

So now we're getting textures DLC? What the hell is this? We pay 60 EUR per plane
and now we can't even have a supposedly "free" map that belongs in 2016 without paying even more?

This DLC thing is getting ridiculous.
Get your #%&*$# together ED.

Ohh no, I posted a "negative" opinion. What are you gonna do now? Trace my IP and ban me? Neg rep me?
You are a JOKE!

Last edited by Penguran; 04/08/16 07:44 AM.
#4247867 - 04/08/16 07:47 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I see. Could you do an exercise and re-write that without being passive/aggressive?
Just a thought...

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4247870 - 04/08/16 08:31 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Yep, and I've pretty much bought everything they and 3rd parties have released with exception to 3 aircraft, however I won't be buying any more content until things improve.

I can't see the value anymore in pre-release/alpha/beta payware because it never gets completed.

There really is no argument for 'what if money stops flowing'.....through decent planning ED shouldn't know exactly if something is worth starting, resources required and time needed however everything they have ever done falls drastically short in every respect. I'm not particularly thrilled to bankroll ED under the guise of new platforms if it's actually funding previous content that wasn't planned properly - which in my opinion is very likely what is happening.

#4247873 - 04/08/16 08:41 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: komemiute]  
Penguran Offline
Penguran  Offline

Originally Posted By: komemiute
I see. Could you do an exercise and re-write that without being passive/aggressive?
Just a thought...

That's DLC.

You gotta pay me for that.

#4247875 - 04/08/16 08:46 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

See? not that hard- also more likely to get an answer...

I'd say it's not confirmed that it's a Pay-for DLC.
Even if it was we have no info on how much, and in any case it's always optional.

The quality of the man's work is really high, so if it was in the range of 5$-9$ I'd be happy to actually buy it.

Plus as anyone else noticed, it's just textures so not having them it's largely a non-issue.

If it was a 3D-rework of the map it'd be a different topic.
Cheers,
stay positive.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4247973 - 04/08/16 03:46 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: ]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: Troll

If people failed to support DCS and ED, development would've stopped years ago. Money talks, ya kno'! smile

Not sure this is entirely true. Some of the content we see at the consumer level is just regurgitated stuff from their private contracts thats worked for public consumption. It explains why a lot of puzzle pieces don't fit.

Before Nevada was announced as coming to DCS and nobody knew anything...if ED had polled their customers with a fill in the blank on what theater they would like to see next...Nevada would have received exactly zero mentions. I can't imagine anyone would have said "How about you spend 5 years on a map where no conflict took place...ever."

Obviously, many folks are happy with Nevada. That can more likely be attributed to being tired of flying in the Black Sea for 15 years...and just being happy to have somewhere else to fly. It's not a conflict area most customers wanting to simulate being a wartime pilot would pick.

Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

#4248030 - 04/08/16 05:49 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: ]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

DCS is not the first flightsim with a dedicated NTTR theatre. I for one thought NTTR was a stroke of genius! Why not go where the real guys go to simulate war, in the sim? Makes perfect sense to me.

A stroke of genius? C'mon now. If you were given a choice of NTTR or the Persian gulf/Iraq I'm 100% positive you would chose the gulf. I'm 100% positive 100% of customers would chose the gulf. A hell of a lot more revenue for the developers than NTTR. I'm 100% positive there would be more customers purchasing the gulf than NTTR.

Last edited by Johnny_Redd; 04/08/16 05:51 PM.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4248040 - 04/08/16 06:01 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: ]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA

This whole notion that if we stop paying ED, things will get better, is a logical fallacy, IMO.

Iv'e just stopped blindly handing over money to developers for Alpha's that may take years to finish after they have your money. After they collect your cash...there really isn't any incentive to finish in a timely manner.

As far as Nevada goes...DCS World is already a simulation of what the real guys do...having a simulation of what the real guys simulate is a layer of redundancy that doesn't appeal to me.

Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

#4248067 - 04/08/16 07:08 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
So if the money stopped rolling in now for ED do you think they they should be obligated to finish what they started.......or just down tools because they've already done more than enough?

#4248078 - 04/08/16 07:26 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
The Obligation remains, of course it does. The argument is that the Ability to fulfil the obligations may be adversely affected with fewer resource available to apply. Using your example of no more cash coming in, I'd imagine any cash reserve being eaten up quite quickly.

Would you not agree?

Nate

#4248090 - 04/08/16 08:00 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Johnny_Redd]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Originally Posted By: Johnny_Redd
A hell of a lot more revenue for the developers than NTTR.

I'm sure NTTR was a great choice in terms of sales. Thing is, you're not the customer.

#4248091 - 04/08/16 08:04 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Frederf]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Originally Posted By: Frederf
Originally Posted By: Johnny_Redd
A hell of a lot more revenue for the developers than NTTR.

I'm sure NTTR was a great choice in terms of sales. Thing is, you're not the customer.

but the gulf/Iraq would have been a better choice in terma of sales, which was my point. I'm well aware a lot of folk purchased NTTR. I would venture that those sales were down to the fact it was the first map to be released. The old map being the only one for, well forever.
I'm not the customer? please explain

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
Page 10 of 54 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 53 54

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.