Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4248106 - 04/08/16 08:28 PM Re: Slightly OT: Where did you get your Forum Handle from? [Re: MFair]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: MFair
We had to warn them that we think a lot faster than we talk.

Hey, that is very much like when we East Frisians talk in "foreign regions".
They always believe we were a bit slow of mind, or even dim - while we have
our fun with them.

My favourite East Frisian joke:

A hectic German from Hessen (they talk double-speed!) comes towards an East Frisian fisherman
and asks him, while his arms perform like propellers:
"Tell me, good man - if I prodeed there, in this direction there, will there be the harbour then?"
The East Frisian fisherman ansers very slow, with a dark voice:
"Yo! But it will also be there, if you don't proceed."

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4248122 - 04/08/16 09:02 PM Re: Slightly OT: Where did you get your Forum Handle from? [Re: Hellshade]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Olham, sounds somewhat familiar! Someone asked me after seeing me shoot a pistol off of one of my horses. "Can you shoot a gun off of any horse?" "Oh sure.........at least once!" I replied.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4248194 - 04/09/16 12:17 AM Re: Slightly OT: Where did you get your Forum Handle from? [Re: Hellshade]  
Dark_Canuck Offline
Dark_Canuck  Offline

Canada
There is a great Canadian ban called The Tragically Hip; One of their songs is called The Dark Canuck.

I highly recommend the Hip to all those who like music. They have some good stuff.

#4248197 - 04/09/16 12:39 AM Re: Slightly OT: Where did you get your Forum Handle from? [Re: Hellshade]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
This is awesome guys. Thanks for sharing! cheers

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4248368 - 04/09/16 04:18 PM Re: Slightly OT: Where did you get your Forum Handle from? [Re: Hellshade]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Johannesburg, South Africa
Well mine is my real name. (Rather like Robert Wiggins).

Hey Olham, maybe you can post some more German jokes stirthepot

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
#4248369 - 04/09/16 04:23 PM Re: Slightly OT: Where did you get your Forum Handle from? [Re: Hellshade]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Like Robert and Jim,I used my real name. In my case I was too lazy to write more than the family name.

#4248399 - 04/09/16 07:07 PM Re: Slightly OT: Where did you get your Forum Handle from? [Re: Hellshade]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Raine I've been curious, is your handle pronounced 'Rain' or 'Rainee'?

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4248479 - 04/10/16 04:48 AM Re: Slightly OT: Where did you get your Forum Handle from? [Re: Hellshade]  
cptroyce Offline
cptroyce  Offline

Mine chosen back in Red Baron days, when joining my first and only online MP squad, US 95th I believe.
Found the name on a roster from European Air War sim.

#4248518 - 04/10/16 02:14 PM Re: Slightly OT: Where did you get your Forum Handle from? [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Originally Posted By: Olham
Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert
I went with 'Louvert' as a tip of the hat to my now long-departed father...

So, "Louvert" is a first name? Which origin is it?

Olham, that is a question that I asked many times in my youth and the answer I received was always the same: my father's parents made it up. Now that may well be true, but as my paternal grandparents both came from Norway it seems strange that they would create a name that has such a distinctively French feel to it. My father always pronounced it with a hard 'T' at the end and the distinctive Scandinavian drawn out oooo sound, (like a cow going "Mooooo"). Nothing French-sounding about it when said like that.

However, the romantic in me imagines that one of my father's parents was a student of French and they took his name from "L'ouvert" which translates as "The open" but whose meaning is more akin to "the truth". French philosopher Didier Franck describes it thusly:
"L'ouvert constitue l'être même de l'étant. Par étant il faut donc entendre ce qui appartient à l'ouvert, y demeure ou y séjourne à découvert, cela même que les Grecs nommèrent "le hors-retrait" : le non-celé."

Translation:
"The open is the very essence of being. By being so you have to hear what belongs to the open, it remains there, staying discovered, which the Greeks named "the truth" : that which is not concealed."

But again, that is just the romantic in me. smile2

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4248523 - 04/10/16 02:41 PM Re: Slightly OT: Where did you get your Forum Handle from? [Re: Hellshade]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

In Swedish, the word lovart means windward, while lävart means leeward. The Swedish 'lo' is pronounced like the English 'loo'.

Of course it may not in any way be connected to the name Louvert. In fact I have never heard a Swede or Norwegian go by that name, and you can't avoid encountering Scandinavian names where I live.

Just a thought that came to my mind! smile

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4248524 - 04/10/16 02:44 PM Re: Slightly OT: Where did you get your Forum Handle from? [Re: Hellshade]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
I always thought it was the combination of Lou Vert. duh

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4248525 - 04/10/16 02:45 PM Re: Slightly OT: Where did you get your Forum Handle from? [Re: Banjoman]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Originally Posted By: Banjoman

Just like "rain." All the Raines in the world seem to come from North Yorkshire or County Durham in NE England.

Oh, and more than a couple got transported to Australia...

There was a Raine's Battery of Confederate artillery in Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. It was from Leesburg, VA.

Last edited by Raine; 04/10/16 03:40 PM. Reason: All thumbs
#4248527 - 04/10/16 02:50 PM Re: Slightly OT: Where did you get your Forum Handle from? [Re: Hellshade]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Originally Posted By: Fullofit
I always thought it was the combination of Lou Vert. duh

Fullofit, you are not the first to have thought that.

Originally Posted By: Hasse
In Swedish, the word lovart means windward, while lävart means leeward. The Swedish 'lo' is pronounced like the English 'loo'.

Of course it may not in any way be connected to the name Louvert. In fact I have never heard a Swede or Norwegian go by that name, and you can't avoid encountering Scandinavian names where I live.

Just a thought that came to my mind! smile

Yes Hasse, and a good thought too. In Norwegian they are lovart and luvart respectively, but I was told my father's name had nothing to do with either.

Originally Posted By: Raine
Originally Posted By: Banjoman

Just like "rain." All the Raines in the world seem to come from North Yorkshire or County Durham in NE England...

And I imagine that at certain times of the year all the rains in the world seem to come to North Yorkshire and County Durham in NE England.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4248541 - 04/10/16 04:06 PM Re: Slightly OT: Where did you get your Forum Handle from? [Re: Hellshade]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Couldn't find "Louvert" as a Norwegian first name either, but at least I found people
who carry this first name:

American people with first name Louvert

I like the "romantic interpretation", Lou, and I firmly believe that true happyness
can only be found, if one is open towards the thruth, and does not try to deny it,
to fake it, or to violate people who tell it.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4248550 - 04/10/16 04:39 PM Re: Slightly OT: Where did you get your Forum Handle from? [Re: Hellshade]  
loftyc Offline
loftyc  Offline

Lofty is a nickname bestowed upon me by some British friends when I lived in the British Virgin Isls. It's supposed to be for a tall person, while I am 5'3" / 162 cm.

(the 'c' is my last initial)

#4248565 - 04/10/16 07:07 PM Re: Slightly OT: Where did you get your Forum Handle from? [Re: Hellshade]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Raine, I knew about Raine's battery since I'm also a huge Civil war history fan. Now I curious to know, are you related to that famous historical Raine?

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80