Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4245948 - 04/03/16 02:31 AM Batman vs. Superman: Justice League  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Just got back from seeing this and I really don't understand all of the complaints from the critics. This was a very solid and well made film with some great performances.

Oh and I loved the little "Inception top spinning" device used at the very end of the film in the final shot. wink

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 04/03/16 03:36 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4245953 - 04/03/16 03:30 AM Re: Batman vs. Superman: Justice League [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
This movie doesn't deserve a new thread....

But the critics are right this time...it was a crappy souless movie.

The only good thing about the movie was Affleck as an older jaded Batman.

Wonder woman did have her moments but I come away more convinced that Wonder Woman solo movie will bomb.

As for Superman, its not quite Superman 3/4 horrible...but not much better.

"No power in the 'verse can stop me!!!"
#4245954 - 04/03/16 03:41 AM Re: Batman vs. Superman: Justice League [Re: Spidey]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Spidey

Wonder woman did have her moments but I come away more convinced that Wonder Woman solo movie will bomb.

The box office track record strongly supports this. Every comic book film with a female superhero in the lead role has bombed. Catwoman and Elektra come to mind.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4245955 - 04/03/16 03:45 AM Re: Batman vs. Superman: Justice League [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
It can be successful if done right...

Well in a way Rey is the super hero in the new Star Wars.

On TV, i just saw the Flash Supergirl crossover episode...i enjoyed it more than Batman v Supermam

"No power in the 'verse can stop me!!!"
#4245957 - 04/03/16 03:48 AM Re: Batman vs. Superman: Justice League [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Reminds me of watching the Force Awakens. Recycled. But then again, are not they all this way now ?

Will wait for its release to BD before watching. And yes, watched SWFA in the Theater in December
with my wife. Won`t pay to another till they make em better.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4245976 - 04/03/16 07:36 AM Re: Batman vs. Superman: Justice League [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
M@verick Offline
XBL: GrizzlyBear83 PSN: GrizzlyBear1983
M@verick  Offline
XBL: GrizzlyBear83 PSN: GrizzlyBear1983

Gothenburg, Sweden
I'd love to be in a board meeting with Warner now, the second week the film faces steep drops in revenue. Warner has been left behind as Marvel is making huge piles of money with their super hero movies, and thus Warner is rushing to do the same, only Marvel built up towards the Avengers with numerous movies, building a universe. Warner pushed everything into one film.

I'm sure it will still make a lot of money though.

http://www.latino-review.com/news/batman...s-weekend-ahead

Last edited by M@verick; 04/03/16 07:39 AM.

Xbox Live: GrizzlyBear83
PSN: GrizzlyBear1983
#4245994 - 04/03/16 10:02 AM Re: Batman vs. Superman: Justice League [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
QuantumPeep Offline
QuantumPeep  Offline

Germany
I am in agreement with Panzer. My wife and I liked it beginning to end, but then we don't expect a Shakespearean experience watching a movie about comic book superheroes.

The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you're not in shape for it, it's too far to walk back.

History repeats itself, because no one listened the first time. Anon
#4246067 - 04/03/16 03:47 PM Re: Batman vs. Superman: Justice League [Re: QuantumPeep]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: QuantumPeep
I am in agreement with Panzer. My wife and I liked it beginning to end, but then we don't expect a Shakespearean experience watching a movie about comic book superheroes.
Exactly. You need to watch films with the correspondingly suitable expectation.

Question for everyone: What did you think of Jesse Eisenberg's performance? I found it interesting that he played it as a genius psychotic while Gene Hackman played Luthor as simply a genius who wanted to get rich.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 04/03/16 03:50 PM.

#4246121 - 04/03/16 06:59 PM Re: Batman vs. Superman: Justice League [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Just got back from seeing this and I really don't understand all of the complaints from the critics. This was a very solid and well made film with some great performances.

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: Spidey

The box office track record strongly supports this. Every comic book film with a female superhero in the lead role has bombed. Catwoman and Elektra come to mind.

I don't know. Lets keep in mind that the era those movies came out was the same time as Daredevil, with Affleck and was horrible. That was before the Marvel/DC movies stepped it up in recent years, after the initial X-Men movies and Superman Returns. The Marvel show about Peggy Carter has done pretty well and she's not even a super hero.

Now, Daredevil is the best comic related offering out there, unlike the botched movie. In BvS, Affleck completely redeemed himself and was very well cast (despite my often-wrong misgivings).
Before the MCU movies, and shows, just about the only good comic book movie was Keaton's first Batman movie, maybe the first X-Men (only because of casting Jackman and Stewart). The X-Men movies really haven't kept up and have gotten so convoluted with casting and time jumps, even Jackman as Wolverine isn't enough to compare it to the MCU movies.
Now they know the type of movie their audience wants. Writing and production have hit a level unprecedented at the time of Catwoman/Electra.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4246199 - 04/03/16 10:47 PM Re: Batman vs. Superman: Justice League [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
I expect a Shakespearean-in-love experience. Is that so wrong?

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4246224 - 04/04/16 12:51 AM Re: Batman vs. Superman: Justice League [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Robbster Offline
Robbster  Offline

Calgary, Canada
I snapped quick pic of the movie while I was in the Theater.

#4246230 - 04/04/16 01:09 AM Re: Batman vs. Superman: Justice League [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
That must be the low budget G rated version.

#4246277 - 04/04/16 06:15 AM Re: Batman vs. Superman: Justice League [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
knightgames Offline
Hotshot
knightgames  Offline
Hotshot

MA
I ultimately really enjoyed BvS but there are things that Warner Bros did that really cheesed my biscuits. Someone really needs to put a bug in a production studio's ear to help them to understand how revealing major plot points or even basic story lines makes it near impossible for audiences to get the WOW factor a movie could give.

The premise of the story was fantastic. Batman fears for the safety of the Earth from a potential free radical with apparent limitless power. We can see from the preview that somehow Batman is going to find a way to defeat Superman and from a few shots of the Batman armor we can guess that Wayne has found a way to defeat the Man of Steel. Will Lex Luthur have anything to do with it? Maybe, maybe not. Or does he have something else up his sleeve? This sets up a grande battle royal that made for a completely satisfying preview. Any hint at Doomsday and Wonder Woman wasn't necessary and IMO degraded the viewing experience for me.

Potential Spoilers:

Click to reveal..
During the movie we see glimpses of Diana Prince interacting with characters. Who is she? She seems important but how does she fit into the movie? Wouldn't it have been more exciting to see Wonder Woman (the mysterious dark haired woman through out the move) until you see her in that penultimate scene with the Caped Crusader, Superman and Doomsday... instead of in the preview? What would it have been like if Doomsday hadn't been revealed in the previews? The audience would have lost it! That's what! Their reveal wasn't necessary to bolster sales, IMO. The greatest gladiator fight of the world was about to take place between two loved icons of comicdom.

Instead Warner reveals almost every plot point in the several previews before the official release. There's no mystery of what's going to happen. The movie only serves to put things in their proper order from what we witness in the previews. By watching the movie I came away thinking I literally saw the whole movie in the previews and therefore feel really cheated by Warner. Really poor choice WB.

The other thing that bothered me was I felt the final edit of the first half of BvS was disjointed and awkward because there were so many references and side scenes, that only die hard fans would get. I had no problem following the basic plot lines but sequences like The Flash showing up to Batman proclaiming it's all about Lois Lane made know sense to a casual fan and thus broke the momentum of the story arc. I realize there will be an added thirty or so minutes to the DVD release that may enlighten some of the mysteries and points lost on viewers but IMO if you have to resort to a DVD to explain things then you should probably leave out sequences that need to be explained or elucidated.

Overall, I think the movie was well done. Effects were very good, though some think Doomsday looked average. He worked for me. Sound was good. Music was effective. No one mailed in a bad performance. Ben Affleck WAS Batman for all intents and purposes. The Story (without the incessant need to wink at loyal fans or 'promote' the characters of the Justice League) was satisfactory and would have been much more enjoyable had previews not revealed too much.

I'll be going to see it again because visually it was a treat. I like both characters... and I want to delve into some of the things I missed.

Final tally 7 - 10.

Last edited by knightgames; 04/04/16 06:21 AM.
#4246303 - 04/04/16 10:28 AM Re: Batman vs. Superman: Justice League [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Excellent post knightgames!

Oh and it was really nice seeing Jeremy Irons again. I hadn't seen him in a while.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 04/04/16 10:29 AM.

#4246307 - 04/04/16 10:51 AM Re: Batman vs. Superman: Justice League [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
I've heard somewhere that "Murderman vs. Captain Hypocrite" would have been a better title for the film. smile

(both superheroes being vastly out of previously established character)

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4246309 - 04/04/16 11:01 AM Re: Batman vs. Superman: Justice League [Re: Jayhawk]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
I've heard somewhere that "Murderman vs. Captain Hypocrite" would have been a better title for the film. smile

(both superheroes being vastly out of previously established character)

I've never read the Batman vs. Superman comic books but was the film really that different from those comic books in how Batman and Superman were portrayed?

Maybe someone here who has read the comics can answer that?

#4246344 - 04/04/16 01:25 PM Re: Batman vs. Superman: Justice League [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
For those who are not really familiar with the plot lines from the comics The Movie borrowed some plot points from this Comic (seen here as an animated feature) which follows the magazine comic pretty much panel for panel http://kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/Batman-The-Dark-Knight-Returns-Part-1/Movie?id=8526 and here http://kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/Batman-The-Dark-Knight-Returns-Part-2/Movie?id=8558 This was a Frank Miller graphic novel in which Batman hasn't been seen in years and Superman has become an enforcer for the Federal government working at the behest of the President. If you watch it you'll see many parallels to BvS, another series of comics dealt with Superman's fight with Doomsday -
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Death_and_Return_of_Superman -which may give some insight to where the next films will go in dealing with the aftermath of the first although I'm hoping they don't include a new Robin like in the Dark Knight Returns comic although the next film Suicide Squad may give some insight into the films scene where his outfit is preserved in a case. I didn't think the film was bad but editing could have flowed better and yes they gave way too much away in the trailers.
Also there is another adaptation in the animated stories http://kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/Superman-Doomsday/Movie?id=15415
Since the comics re-invent and re-tell the stories so many times any one of these story lines may see a big screen adaptation.

Last edited by KRT_Bong; 04/04/16 01:43 PM.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#4246352 - 04/04/16 01:45 PM Re: Batman vs. Superman: Justice League [Re: PanzerMeyer]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
oselisan
Unregistered

The studo executives supposedly gave a standing ovation to a private screening of the movie.

I haven't seen it but it means that Warner Bros. and DC will be dishing out the same type of movie in the coming years. So, if I don't like it, I won't be lookng forward to any DC movie coming out from that studio. The executives in their suits and supposedly keen business acumen are already committed to their "ideal" movie. Whatever the movie is, it's the pinnacle of their vision of the perfect super hero movie.

Actually, I'm a fan of DC animated and quite enjoy their animated movies. Probably the reason being is that because it is animated, I'm less likely to take it seriously.

p.s. decided to skip the theaters and just see it online.
p.p.s. Take my opinion with a grain of salt. You're reading a post of someone who didn't like Deadpool. I'm not even sure if I have a favorite movie.

#4246357 - 04/04/16 01:57 PM Re: Batman vs. Superman: Justice League [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
almost a 70% drop at the box office isn't a great showing for week 2 with little else out there to see.

IMDB

Quote:
The steep second weekend drop suffered by Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice will receive the bulk of attention this week and rightfully so as it is the fifth largest second weekend drop for a film that opened over $100 million. That said, the superhero feature maintained the #1 position and has now crossed $680 million worldwide. Meanwhile, Disney's Zootopia continued its impressive run while the weekend's widest new release, God's Not Dead 2, fell well short of its predecessor.

Heading into the weekend, it appeared Batman v Superman was looking at a drop anywhere from 58-68% and it ended up settling in on the wrong side of those expectations. The film's estimated $52.3 million signifies a 68.4% drop (62.1% if you take into consideration its $27.7 million in Thursday previews last week). This is the fifth largest drop of all-time for a film opening over $100 million, topped only by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2's

#4246363 - 04/04/16 02:02 PM Re: Batman vs. Superman: Justice League [Re: KRT_Bong]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: KRT_Bong
For those who are not really familiar with the plot lines from the comics The Movie borrowed some plot points from this Comic (seen here as an animated feature) which follows the magazine comic pretty much panel for panel http://kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/Batman-The-Dark-Knight-Returns-Part-1/Movie?id=8526 and here http://kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/Batman-The-Dark-Knight-Returns-Part-2/Movie?id=8558 This was a Frank Miller graphic novel in which Batman hasn't been seen in years and Superman has become an enforcer for the Federal government working at the behest of the President. If you watch it you'll see many parallels to BvS, another series of comics dealt with Superman's fight with Doomsday -
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Death_and_Return_of_Superman -which may give some insight to where the next films will go in dealing with the aftermath of the first although I'm hoping they don't include a new Robin like in the Dark Knight Returns comic although the next film Suicide Squad may give some insight into the films scene where his outfit is preserved in a case. I didn't think the film was bad but editing could have flowed better and yes they gave way too much away in the trailers.
Also there is another adaptation in the animated stories http://kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/Superman-Doomsday/Movie?id=15415
Since the comics re-invent and re-tell the stories so many times any one of these story lines may see a big screen adaptation.

Thanks for that info. Some interesting stuff for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.