Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4245014 - 03/31/16 02:53 PM M&B Warband  
Feetwet Offline
Son of Birmingham
Feetwet  Offline
Son of Birmingham

Houston, Tx
Ok, this is my second attempt at Warband. I am doing a little better this time (stuck later on), I am a new vassal for the Nords. In that capacity I have won several battles with lords from swardia and raided 1 village (good money here but risky). BUT, now I seem to be stuck. I have about 5000 gold but I just can't seem to grow this. So...

1. should I raid more villages and risk the consequences...(my 60 man army getting caught by a larger army)
2. upgrade my village...it keeps getting raided though
3. go to town and purchase businesses
4. do missions though the ones that I keep getting are ridiculous (get cows (blows) or search for outlaws (impossible))

I am having a blast but I just seem to be stuck.

S

MWO callsign Feetwet
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4245268 - 04/01/16 05:14 AM Re: M&B Warband [Re: Feetwet]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
At that phase of the game I am usually focusing on:

1. Finding and levelling my companions - getting specializations among them
2. Attacking any bandits, and capturing as many prisoners as possible for ransom
3. Work on purchasing dyeworks businesses, they are the most profitable
4. Talk to Lords and your King to do tasks for them to start to gain reputation.

Don't worry about upgrading your village, I find it probably isn't worth the cost at least until you have extra gold to waste.

You really can make good gold from cleaning up bandits and taking lots of prisoners. Arm yourself with a Warhammer (? I think) for knockouts and also have a few manhunters in your group as they will have blunt weapons.

#4245269 - 04/01/16 05:24 AM Re: M&B Warband [Re: Feetwet]  
Feetwet Offline
Son of Birmingham
Feetwet  Offline
Son of Birmingham

Houston, Tx
Well tonight went pretty well. I don't have to look for bandits because it seems Nords (which I am a vassal) and Swadia are going to wage a 100 year war. I have one dye works and one mill (which isn't working well). I have a bunch of companions but I still don't have one who specializes in medical stuff. My army has grown to 80 which is expensive but I just dont loose even matches (few casualties either).

I wish there was a way to ransom off nobles without waiting for a random ransom event. I have won a multitude of battles against Swadia but I just can't seem to get the King to recognize me. I try to talk to him regularly but it is slow. Come on dude...give me some more land.

Having fun but it is slow going right now.

S

MWO callsign Feetwet
#4245278 - 04/01/16 07:12 AM Re: M&B Warband [Re: Feetwet]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
What mod are you playing? If the answer is none then you need to download a mod. Mount and Blade is an endless grind and, consequently, vanilla Mount and Blade isn't the most thrilling way to spend your time. The mini quests are pretty weak and grinding bandit parties gets old after 50 times so a mod from a theme that interests you can inject a bit of life into the game.

Tips on grinding money:

Just win a lot of tournaments, place the max bet on yourself every round and you'll get a nice payoff.

Raiding villages isn't doing yourself many favors but, if you can't win a tournament... Just remember that you'll have to do a lot of dumb quests like "Fetch me some grain/cattle/my missing daughter" or, woe forbid, "Train the Peasants" if you ever want to recruit from there again.

Caravans can be okay targets too but tournaments and village raiding are the easiest money pots. When it comes to the more meta-game money farming, buy the most profitable enterprise in every town you can. Some towns are unavailable because the lord doesn't like you for whatever reason so removing him violently from office is a good way to get around that. Being a mercenary for as long as you can helps, when you become a vassal you lose that sweet blood money and get a fief instead... which gets raided all the time and pays you bugger all so put off being a vassal until you have an army that can take on raiding vassals. As a vassal your main aim is to set yourself up for when you defect and become a king in your own right so capture towns and pack the garrison full of archers. Rhodok Crossbowmen are suitable.

Late game, watch out for tax inefficiency when you become a king, don't take on too many fiefs.

Or you can just enable cheats and spam the money button. Warband can grind your resolve down after a while but I'd advise against cheating, its good at first but it can really ruin the fun of a playthrough in the long run. money only cheating isn;t too bad though, it cuts out a lot of tedious grinding if you can restrict yourself to modest cheating instead of paint my privvy with gold cheating.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4245350 - 04/01/16 01:07 PM Re: M&B Warband [Re: Feetwet]  
Feetwet Offline
Son of Birmingham
Feetwet  Offline
Son of Birmingham

Houston, Tx
Thanks for the input Jimmy, I'll look into mods.

S

MWO callsign Feetwet
#4245422 - 04/01/16 04:22 PM Re: M&B Warband [Re: Feetwet]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Forgot about mods, I am using the "Floris Expanded' mod and really enjoy it. Basically improves on the vanilla gameplay without changing the game too much.

#4245462 - 04/01/16 05:20 PM Re: M&B Warband [Re: Feetwet]  
Feetwet Offline
Son of Birmingham
Feetwet  Offline
Son of Birmingham

Houston, Tx
When you say improve, can you expand on that...

MWO callsign Feetwet
#4245500 - 04/01/16 06:34 PM Re: M&B Warband [Re: Feetwet]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Here is a full list: http://www.moddb.com/mods/floris-mod-pack/features/features50

Wiki here: http://floris.wikia.com/wiki/Floris_Wiki

When I was researching mods it was fairly recommended for a mod that holds close to vanilla play, with some improvements.

I have been playing it for so long now, I can't really remember all that it does over vanilla. Some things are:

- expanded troop trees
- better menu system overall
- improved economy
- more quests
- improved graphics and sound

#4245672 - 04/02/16 04:56 AM Re: M&B Warband [Re: Feetwet]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Floris is a pretty good mod, many of the Features in Floris get included in other mods also.

A few others I'd recommend are:

1257AD, If you like crusading against the Saracens
Prophesy, of Pendor If you like a real challenge
Perisno, which is a bit like Pendor, low level fantasy type stuff
Phantasy Calradia, more fantasy heavy with magic
A Clash of Kings, for Game of Thrones lovers
The Last Days, For Lord of the Rings lovers.
Nova Aetas, introduces the early Rennaisance type setting with many new features.
Blood and Steel, high fantasy again with huge army sizes, can be a little buggy though.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4246996 - 04/06/16 04:53 AM Re: M&B Warband [Re: Feetwet]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I've had M&B Warband for ages but I'm just now really getting into it. I tried Floris awhile back it was just way too tough.(probably due to my inexperience with vanilla) It must be geared for veteran players.

I'm really enjoying 1257 Anno Domini, Sands of Faith and L'AGLE.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4247125 - 04/06/16 03:44 PM Re: M&B Warband [Re: Feetwet]  
Feetwet Offline
Son of Birmingham
Feetwet  Offline
Son of Birmingham

Houston, Tx
I am still playing vanilla and enjoying it. I might switch to Floris with my next character and see how that goes.

S

MWO callsign Feetwet

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.