Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4239374 - 03/13/16 02:21 PM Re: Atlantic Fleet is now on Steam Greenlight [Re: Para_Bellum]  
trindade Offline
Mach2 Club
trindade  Offline
Mach2 Club

Portugal
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
Artillery:

IMO the best method is by checking the map for the falls of the rounds. You can easily get an "on target" salvo with the 2nd salvo once you understand the gunnery and how to adjust your shots.

+1

I don't trust much the fire solution. I only use it on the first salvo just to check his impact zone and then I do some adjustments. Sometimes takes me a few turns to get good hits.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4240007 - 03/15/16 10:34 AM Re: Atlantic Fleet is now on Steam Greenlight [Re: Evil Flower]  
nats Offline
nats  Offline

Pocklington UK
Yeah it takes practice to get good at firing accurately. Once I have their range I then reduce it by 1 degree for every movement I or my target makes towards each other and if we are both closing I might reduce it by 2 degrees - that often works well. But sometimes I can go for several turns without hitting a thing at the start of an engagement! Its a good game because of these sorts of difficulties.

And yeah planes are also difficult to fly, they are all different - Torpedo Planes and different to Stukas are different to bombers, it all makes for a pleasant game.

I haven't got used to firing torpedoes from subs yet either - for some reason my torps usually miss when using the suggested angle even when I do a spread of four I will be lucky to get one hit. I dont know whether they also take into account the wind strength (well currents and water conditions may be affected by the wind?) but certainly that is tricky. But with this game subs have the upper hand anyway so I am not too worried.

There are plenty of discussions going on regarding making subs more challenging and making destroyers/ships longer lasting against subs. I do think we need to have the facility to dock ships and thereby keep them safe at ports. But I also wish the devs would add a facility to require a target solution to be plotted in the previous turn to firing the torpedoes like they had to in real life. That would remove the ability to make snap launches at destroyers and capital ships and kill them easily. I think that would improve the whole game.

Anyway I am really enjoying it, its been a week since I got it, have played 30 hours on it so far, and I am still missing targets, and being surprised - its a remarkable little game!

But definitely at the moment its more fun playing the Germans in the main campaign than the British, simply because the AI subs are so lethal to capital ships and destroyers. But I do love hunting the subs so I do often play single sub hunting missions.

Last edited by nats; 03/15/16 10:40 AM.

"It's life, Jim, but not as we know it!"

AMD Phenom II X6 (6x2.8Ghz Six Core) 12GB DDR3 RAM Nvidea Ti550 1Gb Graphics Card MS Sidewinder Forcefeedback 2 Joystick Windows 10 64bit

Games that I am playing:
Elite: Dangerous
Making History: The Great War
Strike Fighters II: Europe
Hearts of Iron 3
Fallout 4
Waterloo
#4241712 - 03/21/16 12:11 AM Re: Atlantic Fleet is now on Steam Greenlight [Re: Behemoth]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Originally Posted By: Behemoth
Stryker, are you dialing in the elevation using the lower right digital readout or the analogue dial on the lower left? I was getting a lot of shots high and low until I saw that. Still takes a volley to get a solid hit though (for me).

I can't for the life of me figure out air attacks. I've only tried the training bomb run. I get everything lined up then launch and have really no optic to aim on for the drop, unless it's automatic which it doesn't appear to be. Great ship to ship though.

-B

B,

Thanks for the advice. I had been trying that and will conduct more trials this evening when I get home with the latest patch too. I haven't even gotten into the air role yet.

Matt

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.