Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4238244 - 03/09/16 05:22 PM Re: Ship convoy utility [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
While you were posting I have just used 131, set it to German in the "TMod131.dat" and it is good smile

It would be even better with a German Flag smile

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4238274 - 03/09/16 07:19 PM Re: Ship convoy utility [Re: MrJelly]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
Can't quite make it out. Is that a Japanese flag? If so, the model must have come out of SPAW.

For now, just chalk it up to the "sphere of cooperation" or something.

Back on topic.

Thanks for adding the model using a number from the TMOD inventory. It would be nice if we could get everyone on board using the same list.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4238280 - 03/09/16 07:46 PM Re: Ship convoy utility [Re: Rotton50]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

Hi Tony.

24 bit pcx, save as 24bit bmp and it will be fine.

Supports EAW 1.29.exe, Drop in and Play Technology. wink

1.29 download
#4238287 - 03/09/16 08:05 PM Re: Ship convoy utility [Re: MrJelly]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

Interesting list Ray.

A lot of the railway stuff I made was country spacific, French, German and British. Have you used them in the right countries?

I don't see any civilian buildings. Have you added any?

1.29 download
#4238353 - 03/10/16 12:51 AM Re: Ship convoy utility [Re: MrJelly]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

I used a number of your railway objects however the railway cars are generic. No reason country specific TMODs can't be added to the list.

There are some civilian buildings included. Hospitals, police stations, train stations, telephone poles, stone fences and a bunch of other tid bits I picked up from around the EAW world. You do have to watch out though. There is a hospital and a church that hide AA guns. Can't trust those Nazis.

#4238441 - 03/10/16 09:36 AM Re: Ship convoy utility [Re: MrJelly]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

OK Ray.

My trains are not generic, as my is the case with the railway, and town buildings. I made them all that way so we would get the feel for flying over different countries. So please feel free to add them, but please keep them in the correct countries. The motor barge, is typical for europe, and the tug for UK, and the barges are OK for both.

I still don't know what happened to the canal tiles for Holland, and Germany. Can't fly to the Dambuster targets, without following canals!

1.29 download
#4238462 - 03/10/16 11:55 AM Re: Ship convoy utility [Re: MrJelly]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

I'll explain for the community why the TMODs are to a large degree generic.

It has to do with the way the target editor works. The early versions were programmed in such a way that each target had to be built from scratch. Later versions broke the target set up into individual files.

There were two advantages to this. One was that a target project could be taken on by a team who could share their word simply by building and compiling the individual files. This never happened but it COULD have.

The main advantage was that once a city or town was satisfactorily set up the file could be copied to another similar sized target.

The project would have taken even longer if I hadn't taken advantage this feature. The disadvantage is that the TMOD's at a target in Britain would then have to be edited when the target file was copied to a target in Germany. That would have negated the advantage.

There is the possibility of using the TMOD/TMOG process whereby the ground model changes depending on which side of the front line the model is placed. I use this mainly to change the ground planes at airfields, vehicles in convoys and flags. It would have added a great deal of complexity and size to the target package to do it will all the buildings.

And in the end, as the sole decider-in-chief of the project I wasn't that concerned with the nationality of incidental buildings and rail car ground models. It's a military flight sim so I concentrated on the military ground models.

So, for better or worse, the target set is a finished product as it stands unless some other member wants to spend a couple of years upgrading it.

That's not to say that better models with the same TMOD numbers couldn't be introduced. I have no objection to that. In fact, for the betterment of the community I encourage anyone with an interest to work on improving the TMOD models. Just stick to the TMOD number list I posted above and make sure that the new model is exactly the same size as the old model or it might not fit properly. Docks, cranes, rail cars, railway stations, ships at docks and bridges in particular have very exact placement requirements which took a lot of trial and error to get just right. The best thing to do is take a look at the old model using 3DZ Studio before building a new model.

When your models are ready send them to Jel for inclusion in the next 1.4 package.

#4238480 - 03/10/16 12:52 PM Re: Ship convoy utility [Re: MrJelly]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

Hi Ray.

I thought there were going to be German buildings, and alike, included in the update, and that is why I built them. I know you have used my French station in at least one location in England [Yellow station]. None of my stuff was intended to be used in a generic way, and if you have used them as generic, it will make for a very strange experience, as I'm a railway and aircraft enthusiast. I did make a proper Southern UK rail map, but I gave up, as I could not keep up with your speed in changes in adding towns, and Tmods. That is why I took a break, and I'm keeping to building new things I'm asked for, ala Condor. It's not a nice feeling to have work ignored, I just hope others will use my models in the way they were intended.

Enough said. frown

1.29 download
#4238483 - 03/10/16 01:21 PM Re: Ship convoy utility [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

It is not particularly obvious but this convoy is moving at 200KNOTS smile

I have added an extra line to the "*.con" file structure which is the convoy speed in knots.
Using my "San Vito.con" file and doing a ship interdiction that is what I got.
This can now be used to put a small number of high speed craft such as patrol and E-boats as a target.

The ghost spawning problem is not solved but it only happens with mixed interdictions with ships on invisible tracks. I though I had solved it yesterday but no luck frown
Although adding the convoy speed value to the "*.con" file structure is my workaround, it is useful anyway, adding more flexibility to the game smile

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

#4238486 - 03/10/16 01:28 PM Re: Ship convoy utility [Re: MrJelly]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

Great Tony.

Small, fast, and returning fire, targets will make for some dangerous attack runs. biggrin

What about the pilots in dingys? There must be a little bit of code at the end of the parachute code, which deletes the parachute on ground/sea contact?

1.29 download
#4238503 - 03/10/16 02:09 PM Re: Ship convoy utility [Re: Col. Gibbon]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Originally Posted By: Col. Gibbon
Hi Ray.

It's not a nice feeling to have work ignored

Eh, now you know how I feel about the "empty F" project. A well thought out improvement for building hi-res models completely ignored by the other plane builders. No problem, I just chug along building models at a far greater rate than scratch building them, all for the enjoyment of the community at large.

But to the larger discussion.

Recall that when we contribute our models to the community it is with the agreement that they become the property of the community. This means that anyone can use them as they see fit without the consent of the originator. This works to the advantage of the community because it allows contributors to build upon the work of others rather than build everything from scratch.

So, at my discretion I used the models to build a new EAW world full of interesting items and it is disingenuous to point out a French train station in Britain when I could do a 5 minute search on the internet and find a British train station that looks pretty much the same.

And for the last time, this is a flight sim, not a rail way sim.

'nuff said.

#4238524 - 03/10/16 02:46 PM Re: Ship convoy utility [Re: MrJelly]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

All I wanted was things to be used in an "historical context". After all, we spend so much time modelling the aircraft correctly, why not everything else? Tony made all these slots available, so there was the opportunity to add things like French, German and British buildings, to add to the ground pounder aspect of the game.

Perhaps this topic should move to the "What do you want from EAW" topic.

1.29 download
#4238544 - 03/10/16 03:50 PM Re: Ship convoy utility [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

It has taken three days but I finally found a routine that was running twice in the railways code. The second instance was re-spawning the destroyed ships smile

You can judge the speed by the angle of the smoke:

wink

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4238576 - 03/10/16 05:07 PM Re: Ship convoy utility [Re: MrJelly]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

No point in moving the conversation.

We've both had our say and the target mod stands as is, for better or worse.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.