Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4236840 - 03/05/16 03:05 PM Custom campaign missions are possible  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Thanks to Creaghorn for the idea and OBD for this wonderful game, I was able to come up with an idea on how to construct custom made campaign missions to follow the life of a famous pilot.

But first, let me introduce my findings....

RNAS 10 campaign mission with A, B and C flight sitting on the field waiting to fly the mission. Even the waypoints are accurate just like it appeared in the mission briefing.

Look at all of these pics that were taken during the same campaign mission. How you can tell that they are from the same mission is to look at each picture and see that they are from a different squad and either A or B flight and the distance in NM signifies how far away it is to my starting point - all different as well.

Now, wasn't that similar to how missions were flown in 1915 - one or two planes?

I can add more planes to the campaign, make specific waypoints and missions, and make a "flight" have either one, two, three or any number of pilots and even specify the names of who will be flying. Now, I see that it's possible to make custom campaign missions with starting airbases and waypoints to fly them and follow the actual missions of a famous pilot during their career.

#4236843 - 03/05/16 03:14 PM Re: Custom campaign missions are possible [Re: OldHat]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
OldHat, you are something else indeed. I am constantly impressed with your ideas and modding skill. clapping

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4236861 - 03/05/16 04:12 PM Re: Custom campaign missions are possible [Re: OldHat]  
elephant Offline
elephant  Offline

Patras-Greece
winner

WOFF UE, BOC member, Albatros pilot.

#4236868 - 03/05/16 04:26 PM Re: Custom campaign missions are possible [Re: OldHat]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
Sounds fantastic! clapping

#4236889 - 03/05/16 05:12 PM Re: Custom campaign missions are possible [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Thanks. I'm still experimenting with this cool feature.

Here you see all of A, B and C flight on the field at the same time. Also, I've changed my assignment to A flight as seen in the red box.

I let them all fly together and it's working fine.

I can also add mixed aircraft flights taking off from the same field if that was really done during that time.

#4236901 - 03/05/16 05:52 PM Re: Custom campaign missions are possible [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Ok. I've located the files that have the town, airfield, balloons, troops and building coordinates. So, now I can set up waypoints, aircraft speed and altitude without any restrictions that I can notice right now. I strongly believe that there's even the possibility to move the towns on the map so that they can line up with the roads better or even add towns to the existing map.

My only limitation now is myself. Unfortunately, I'm a noob when it comes to WW1 history, so I don't know what type of missions to make that will be historically plausible. I can also setup specific enemy and friendly aircrafts and their starting airfields and waypoints as well.

Wow! this is like a huge jigsaw puzzle. I can't thank OBD enough times for making this cool game.

#4236904 - 03/05/16 06:10 PM Re: Custom campaign missions are possible [Re: OldHat]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Oh yes, there are many, many things that you can set up in custom missions - add in new aircraft, new towns, new facilities, new flights, etc. I always enjoyed building custom missions. Good on you OldHat for jumping into the deep end of the pond. I look forward to seeing what you create.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4236941 - 03/05/16 07:52 PM Re: Custom campaign missions are possible [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

That's cool, Lou. I might need your help later if that's ok with you.

Another thing I found out is that I can make a campaign of say 10 historical missions from the career of a real pilot. Then I go ahead and make/enlist a pilot to fly those missions in succession. Each mission will get recorded inside WOFF's passport page and log everything like flight hours, medals, victories, etc... and if my pilot dies in any of those missions, then that's it - he becomes listed as deceased and I can't use him again...(unless I use Robert's backup utility, of course)

So far, I only can get a maximum of 4 custom waypoints (found a workaround for it) including the altitude to fly at. But I think that should be enough for most missions. I will see if I can find an interesting Ace's career or a squad's role in an offensive to mimic and then try to design a few missions around those events to see if my pilot can follow in their footsteps....

Last edited by OldHat; 03/05/16 08:13 PM. Reason: found a solution
#4236953 - 03/05/16 08:42 PM Re: Custom campaign missions are possible [Re: OldHat]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
OldHat, let me know if I can help on the historical side. Love doing that kind of research, and have a fairly good starting knowledge.

#4236965 - 03/05/16 09:20 PM Re: Custom campaign missions are possible [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Hey, Raine. I'd like your help very much. What are your thoughts on choosing a pilot's career? Can you suggest a few missions that I can build to start with - and that contains WOFF's planeset? I can probably get each mission's details from you as I'm making them so as to keep things as accurate as possible.

EDIT: I can make this to be a JSGME MOD - easy to install and uninstall.

Last edited by OldHat; 03/05/16 09:30 PM. Reason: JSGME ready MOD
#4236993 - 03/05/16 11:38 PM Re: Custom campaign missions are possible [Re: OldHat]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Hey OldHat I was thinking as I was flying to the front - yes sorry boys using Autopilot.

How would these be implemented, and then used, in a campaign? Can you use them in a campaign?
Or would it be a string of custom missions flown through the QC/Scenario route?

#4237045 - 03/06/16 07:35 AM Re: Custom campaign missions are possible [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

I have an idea on how to insert it into the campaign system (using JSGME, of course) and even show mission success or failure at the outcome screen. I don't like the scenario way because it gives "unknown aircraft" in the pilot log book where there should be what plane you were flying at the time. Other than that, the scenario route is the easiest one to setup.

WOFF defines a mission success based on flying to all waypoints and completing the following objectives:
Recon, artillery spots, etc...: patrolling in the designated area for a specified period of time. I can adjust the time to be anywhere from a few seconds to minutes (like it is now) to hours.
Bombing: destroying enough targets at the selected location.
Interception: shooting down the enemy planes
Balloon defense or busting: preventing our balloon from getting shot down or shooting down an enemy balloon.
Scramble: shooting down planes attacking the airfield.

Things I can add to the mission are:
- set all or some planes to start from takeoff or be already flying in the air.
- have mixed aircraft on the same field. For example, a flight of albs and fokkers taking off from the same airbase.
- activate any number of airbases with any number of planes. Want a mission with all airbases in Flanders active for that time period and each base has their own squads doing missions. Sure, but probably will make WOFF crawl to a halt.
- add specific aces to the mission on either side and modify morale and skill for each pilot. So, you can fly with your favorite aces or wingman.
- add friendly and enemy flights to have specific mission objectives with any number of waypoints and altitudes.
- make waypoints for the AI to takeoff from one airbase and land in another airbase or return to the same airbase.
- setup specific weather and time for missions.

Modify the WOFF map:
- add towns, railyards, balloons, factories and/or troops to the WOFF map.

Things I'm not sure if I can adjust:
- have planes waiting on standby at their airfield to intercept enemies flying nearby
- I can make the support flight fly the same mission and waypoints as your flight, but I'm unsure if they will participate in the attack.
- make convoy attack missions.

#4237053 - 03/06/16 08:37 AM Re: Custom campaign missions are possible [Re: OldHat]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Obviously you know much more of the guts of WOFF then I do but it seems that the campaign engine would overwrite, on start-up, any attempt to place a custom mission into a WOFF campaign via JGSME? Unless it's as simple as "write protecting" the custom mission file? Wonder if that would crash WOFF? Does the current mission in a campaign always have the same name? I'll have to go back and check Creaghorns post on this.

#4237054 - 03/06/16 08:47 AM Re: Custom campaign missions are possible [Re: OldHat]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Be very cool if you could place custom missions in a existing campaign. And make them historical.
Every mission doesn't have to be custom in a campaign but perhaps significant events.
For example: I am flying with J11 and let's say it's 21 April 1918 - the date of MvR's death. A custom mission is inserted here with the set-up of the circumstances of his death programmed into the mission as much as possible such as fighting 209 Squadrons Camels in the same numbers for both sides, weather, location, etc, etc. he would still be dead when it's over but much better then flying a random mission and he just disappears at the end of the day.
Or May 7 with Albert Ball. Or any of the great significant aerial events.
Be a hell of a lot of work but, if doable, how cool would that be?

#4237059 - 03/06/16 09:05 AM Re: Custom campaign missions are possible [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Sold to the man in the Green helmet! Raine can split the prize if he's up to doing the research as well.

Write protect doesn't work, but there is a way I discovered which I've tried and does work.

If you would like to help and you're up to answering specific questions about the event, it may take some time as this will be my first one, but I can definitely do it.

Here's the info I would need:
- List of friendly and enemy squads you would like to see active including aircraft type, aces or generic pilots, flights (A, B, C) and number of pilots in each. Also some possible mission objectives for those flights (from the list of my post above)
- Possible time, weather, waypoints (it can be a mix of towns, or factories, or front line location, or railyards, or airbases) and altitudes for each flight.

....anything else you can think of that may be possible to add.

Last edited by OldHat; 03/06/16 09:18 AM.
#4237073 - 03/06/16 11:16 AM Re: Custom campaign missions are possible [Re: OldHat]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
now all you need is a random mission generator with movable waypoints and alt etc...just like in the old RB3d days.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4237076 - 03/06/16 11:28 AM Re: Custom campaign missions are possible [Re: OldHat]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Well sir you have me pondering the "coolness."

Aces: As designated in WOFF? Let's say we have a British pilot who ended up with 7 kills (if using the 5 kill standard) but he didn't make the WOFF Aces list. He would be a generic pilot then? Or are there generic Aces also?
Waypoints: As defined (displayed) on the WOFF map? Are they done by longitude and latitude or some in-game code #. If done by longitude and latitude can you use any location in the game world?
Altitude: I will guess part of the mission file designates an altitude that the flight should be at when it to arrives at a waypoint?
Flights: Does every flight have to be done as a separate entity? Let's say all three flights ended up in a historical fight at a certain time and location. Can all three flights be combined in a huge arse B (the players) flight or (better) a huge AI flight just to make sure they all get there and to save mission writing time? Or is there a limit to the number of aircraft in a flight?
Ground Positions: Using the MvR example, and presuming he died of ground fire, how are land targets handled? Can you place an infantry unit at a longitude and latitude for the ground fire ambiance? Or, if overly complicated, I suppose the fight can be placed in the vicinity of a existing one already placed in-game.
Timing: Let's say a fight took place at a certain location. I will guess you cannot specify a time for a flight to be there. One would use the waypoints and a "by guess and by God" to hopefully get them there at the same time. And/or use "Loiter" at the target area to make sure (as much as possible) they meet up?

#4237085 - 03/06/16 12:52 PM Re: Custom campaign missions are possible [Re: DukeIronHand]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand

Aces: As designated in WOFF? Let's say we have a British pilot who ended up with 7 kills (if using the 5 kill standard) but he didn't make the WOFF Aces list. He would be a generic pilot then? Or are there generic Aces also?

I'm trying to get the actual names if possible. There are generic aces that can be generated as well.

Waypoints: As defined (displayed) on the WOFF map? Are they done by longitude and latitude or some in-game code #. If done by longitude and latitude can you use any location in the game world?

I have all the towns, railyards, balloons, factories, troops locations inside a WOFF file. So, that's an easy cut and paste for waypoints to fly over these locations. I can add additional coordinates to make more waypoints, but I'll try to just stick with what I have for now.

Altitude: I will guess part of the mission file designates an altitude that the flight should be at when it to arrives at a waypoint?

No, I can change or specify any altitude.

Flights: Does every flight have to be done as a separate entity? Let's say all three flights ended up in a historical fight at a certain time and location. Can all three flights be combined in a huge arse B (the players) flight or (better) a huge AI flight just to make sure they all get there and to save mission writing time? Or is there a limit to the number of aircraft in a flight?

There's no minimum or maximum limits on the number of flights or planes in the air.

Ground Positions: Using the MvR example, and presuming he died of ground fire, how are land targets handled? Can you place an infantry unit at a longitude and latitude for the ground fire ambiance? Or, if overly complicated, I suppose the fight can be placed in the vicinity of a existing one already placed in-game.

Yes, I can place them, but I'll try to see if I can just use what is available.

Timing: Let's say a fight took place at a certain location. I will guess you cannot specify a time for a flight to be there. One would use the waypoints and a "by guess and by God" to hopefully get them there at the same time. And/or use "Loiter" at the target area to make sure (as much as possible) they meet up?

I can either specify a takeoff time or spawn all flights in the air at a certain time.

So, I want to see how far I can go with this mission builder and actually start from when all the flights took off from their airfields. Here is the information that I was able to dig up through the internet.

NOTE: (?) = Is this correct?

Time: 11:30 AM
Weather: Winds strong from the east. What about clouds(?)

(?) Staffel II
(?) Group 1 (5 planes) – MvR, lt von richthofen, karjus, wolff, scholz
(?) Group 2 (5 planes) - flew west towards the front

Bertangles
(?) A flight (5 planes) Major Butler
(?) B flight (5 planes) Cpt Brown
(?) C flight (5 planes)

A, B, C flights reach an altitude 15,000 ft flying North and South in wide Arcs along the front in the vicinity of Sailly-le-Sec(?)

2 RE8s from 3 AFC - S.G. Garrett/A.V. Barrow, T.L. Simpson/E.C. Hanks are flying recon NE of Le Hamel at 3,000 ft.

3 planes from von Richthofen’s flight approach from the east along the Somme River and attack the RE8s. Archie starts to go off.

8 Camels including Brown’s patrol approach from the south with May on the west side dive to the attack.

About 22 Additional Fokkers and Albs join the fight to make a 30 plane Dogfight.
Question: Which airbases are all the other planes coming from?

If I'm leaving something out, please fill it in or correct any mistakes I may have done. Thanks.

EDIT. My intention is to only set the stage for the combat. You choose to fly as anyone including the re8s.

Last edited by OldHat; 03/06/16 01:29 PM.
#4237097 - 03/06/16 01:53 PM Re: Custom campaign missions are possible [Re: OldHat]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Sounds like you have the bulk of the info down already sir!
I was going to mention the Re8's but look at you - names and all already.
Going by memory 209 lost a pilot enroute to mechanical trouble so only 14 actually were in the target area...but since WOFF simulates that already (possibility of failure) may as well start with 15. And these would be Bentley engined Camels but I guess we'll wait for WOFF 3 to worry about that.

Of course this bit of neatness rears its head on a busy Sunday and not Friday when I had all weekend to get names, etc.

Where's JFM when you need him?
Bet he has all this memorized.

#4237098 - 03/06/16 01:58 PM Re: Custom campaign missions are possible [Re: OldHat]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
OldHat;

It might be worth testing a campaign mission in Italy. Not sure if the WOFF AI would generate central powers flights to contend with, or even if this is possible.

Do you have the capability to generate opposition forces in any theatre?

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM