JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Only aces of aces popcorn

#4255016 - 05/02/16 10:59 AM Re: WOFF 3 Dev page opened [Re: JFM]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Originally Posted By: JFM
What is the "top aces only option"?

Seems that they will incorporate one or all of Creaghorn's Reduced Aces MODs into the workshop. You can see it on the WOFF site user mods section.

#4255018 - 05/02/16 11:02 AM Re: WOFF 3 Dev page opened [Re: dutch]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: dutch
great to see reflection on the cowlings, pilots that move over when being shotdown. Only I never look so close to any oponent and I geuss this improvements will eat PC performance and cost lost of design labor.

They said they had options in the workshop, so like the DX9 stuff, there may be options to turn things off or at least down. Time will tell but I'm sure they are keeping performance in mind.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4255025 - 05/02/16 11:21 AM Re: WOFF 3 Dev page opened [Re: Polovski]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
lets hope that bullets hole in the plane canvas will be redesigned.

#4255033 - 05/02/16 11:47 AM Re: WOFF 3 Dev page opened [Re: Polovski]  
ArisFuser Offline
ArisFuser  Offline

It´s getting hard to wait....I am starting to drool.

#4255039 - 05/02/16 12:22 PM Re: WOFF 3 Dev page opened [Re: OldHat]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Originally Posted By: OldHat
Duke, I think you've posted in the wrong thread if you mean what I had posted earlier.

Originally Posted By: Polovski
I am in no way knocking OBD's great work and efforts to bring a realistic flight experience, but I do have some concerns. I'm concerned that WOFF 3 might go down the wrong path. I believe that in order to maintain interest for years, WOFF 3 would need a heavy dose of revamping the campaign engine equal to the upcoming graphical overhaul.

IMHO, I'd like to see a total makeover and a deeper campaign experience developed as much as if not more than the 'sim' part of WOFF. That would balance out the sim where there would be variety in both the campaign engine and flight experiences.

There's several years worth of work in a campaign engine - it was also heavily revamped from previous code. Try writing a historical based campaign engine for 100s of historical squads from scratch.

It has constantly been upgraded and improved all along, it has actually been moving for years not just at major releases, but with many many updates and patches that have also added new features, many areas re-written and so on. For example adding multi aircraft multi role squadrons was a big change. We would have to charge a silly price to make a new campaign engine - and to what end, it's currently already one of the best (very possibly THE best) campaign engine out there in any flight sim. Not sure a "new" one adds anything - not more sales that is for sure and it would take a heck of a lot longer to make. Would it be better, maybe slightly having learned things along the way? Ultimately it is definitely not worth the time to do it all again.

Anyway I want to avoid a wish list here please. Post in the wish list thread for personal wants please.

No Hellshades post above listed "mission improvements" as being one of the things mentioned in the latest update so I was just commenting on that.

#4255044 - 05/02/16 12:32 PM Re: WOFF 3 Dev page opened [Re: OldHat]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Duke, I think you've posted in the wrong thread if you mean what I had posted earlier.

IMHO, I'd like to see a total makeover and a deeper campaign experience developed as much as if not more than the 'sim' part of WOFF. That would balance out the sim where there would be variety in both the campaign engine and flight experiences.

You are talking of a total make over. WOFF's campaign is the best out there, and the deepest, likely no one will spend that time to develop a deeper one from scratch - the returns are no where near enough.
So probably never to be repeated in another sim.

New things yes, changes yes, new campaign engine no.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4255045 - 05/02/16 12:34 PM Re: WOFF 3 Dev page opened [Re: OldHat]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

What is the "top aces only option"?

Seems that they will incorporate one or all of Creaghorn's Reduced Aces MODs into the workshop. You can see it on the WOFF site user mods section.

It's not just "in the workshop" - a lot more behind the scenes than that, it takes quite a bit of code to make it happen properly - especially if you turn it on and off etc. In a mod you would see various errors along the way.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4255046 - 05/02/16 12:36 PM Re: WOFF 3 Dev page opened [Re: Polovski]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
So this top aces deal means only the "top aces" are in the air? The skies will be pretty empty, as most guys weren't even aces, let alone "top" aces.

BTW, at least here in FL, USA, I get a 404 for the User Mods page on the WOFF site.

#4255053 - 05/02/16 01:08 PM Re: WOFF 3 Dev page opened [Re: Polovski]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
No, "normal aces" will be replaced by non ace AI airmen. So, in the air we will have top aces + normal ai pilots (computer generated pilots) + player himself.

#4255059 - 05/02/16 01:20 PM Re: WOFF 3 Dev page opened [Re: JJJ65]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: JJJ65
No, "normal aces" will be replaced by non ace AI airmen. So, in the air we will have top aces + normal ai pilots (computer generated pilots) + player himself.

I believe this is correct. This will allow you to shoot down more Aces and have them actually die except for the Top Aces. Pure speculation on my part.

#4255060 - 05/02/16 01:24 PM Re: WOFF 3 Dev page opened [Re: JFM]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

So this top aces deal means only the "top aces" are in the air? The skies will be pretty empty, as most guys weren't even aces, let alone "top" aces.

BTW, at least here in FL, USA, I get a 404 for the User Mods page on the WOFF site.

No of course not, it means you can have reduced aces, only the top few will be in the sim (think it's around 50-100). So more AI pilots around you and more can die. It is of course optional.
Obviously

from the coming features;

"Player now has the option in workshops to fly with all the historical researched Pilots and Aces or just the Topmost well known Aces"

Players can change this setting without enlisting a new too but the squadron complement may be under or over the typical complement for a day until it auto adjusts.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4255086 - 05/02/16 02:25 PM Re: WOFF 3 Dev page opened [Re: Polovski]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
Will these "Real Aces" be full on, with a bag of tricks that will make them a handfull in combat?

The Aces in QC are not very good. I am OK in the air, but mostly "turn & burn" and up to three of them in QC
are just a warm up before going to my regular campaign for a few flights.

I am in the mid 1918 flying a Camel and going aginst Folk V11. One Ace is a quick kill, and up to three I have never been shot down. They fly with out helping each other.

So, better "Aces" will be fun for sure -- looking forward to them.

I always wanted a challenge with each of us going up against a named Ace and see how we do! Die or kill, number of bullets used, % hits, damage to us or our airplane, and other stuff. After 50 of those the winner gets an "Atta Boy".

Now that would be FUN!!

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
#4255099 - 05/02/16 02:45 PM Re: WOFF 3 Dev page opened [Re: Polovski]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
QC is totally different and lacks many of the challenges of flying and fighting in the campaign. You always know they are there in QC and where they are coming from and how many, so they can't surprise you. Campaign Aces are harder because the situations can be very different...your plane is damage or low on fuel, far behind enemy lines, weather, altitude disadvantage, additional enemy flights that join in, etc.

Fly with no flying aids (labels always off). Set front guns to Less Accurate and fly in the campaign. Also, I use certain rules of engagement. Such as I won't drop below certain altitude while behind enemy lines or over the front, even if it means letting a kill escape because in the real war, that is an easy way to get killed by ground fire. Also, if I get wounded I break off and head for home unless it is very, very minimal. Also, fight to save your wingmen instead of score kills. The more men you bring back alive, the bigger the real victory. That again will reduce how many planes you can kill and how easy it may seem in QC.

#4255128 - 05/02/16 03:50 PM Re: WOFF 3 Dev page opened [Re: Polovski]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

This top Aces has nothing to do with your skill, or the AI skill so no we have not changed the AI. You as a player are technically a seasoned veteran/ace, you have flown 100s or 1000s of virtual missions, dead over and over and come back. Most of us would have been dead with the very first sim death you had.

Some people find them to hard, some find them too easy. It is what it is.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4255137 - 05/02/16 04:14 PM Re: WOFF 3 Dev page opened [Re: Polovski]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

You are talking of a total make over. WOFF's campaign is the best out there, and the deepest, likely no one will spend that time to develop a deeper one from scratch - the returns are no where near enough.
So probably never to be repeated in another sim.

New things yes, changes yes, new campaign engine no.

It's not just "in the workshop" - a lot more behind the scenes than that, it takes quite a bit of code to make it happen properly - especially if you turn it on and off etc. In a mod you would see various errors along the way.

I apologize for my miscommunication. My statements were really implying a concept. For example, the current situation, what I understand is that if you continually loose pilots and fail missions, the squad's morale will decrease over time. For me, I need more urgency than that to complete missions and even knowing some how that my missions are successful, so I was just giving suggestions. If it's not possible and will stay the same for WOFF 3, then I have to accept, of course.

I understand the complexity of programming and OBD's commitment to provide quality and near error free gaming experience. I really appreciate that.

I needed to clarify these points so that my messages are not misunderstood and I was merely responding to a question and did not mean to belittle OBD's work in any way.

#4255151 - 05/02/16 04:46 PM Re: WOFF 3 Dev page opened [Re: Polovski]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

No problem thanks or clarifying OldHat

Regards,

Polovski,
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM