Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4229089 - 02/14/16 05:34 PM Do You Own a Fitbit? How's it Working?  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
I received a FitBit Surge (retail $249) as a Christmas gift. I've been using it ever since. I don't think this thing is intended to be totally accurate. I've heard mixed opinions about the various Fitbits, regardless of price range. One lady found out she was probably pregnant from her FitBit, because of a suddenly elevated pulse rate (it was one of two possible explanations) while doing nothing. Another wearer insisted that her doctor measured her pulse rate at 160 beats per minute while her FitBit said her pulse rate was 65 bpm. She must've taken her FitBit into her doctor's office looking for a lawsuit.

Anyway, I was working out the other day on an elliptical machine that came with the metallic grips which are supposed to read your pulse rate. I've never paid attention to fitness club machines that claim to do that. I figure they were a crock. This time, I happened to be wearing my FitBit Surge. The bpm on the elliptical read 128. I looked at the FitBit on my wrist. It read 128. I decided to slow down. When the elliptical read 107, I looked at my FitBit and saw 106, then it went to 107. I changed my pace three more times, and every time the elliptical and my FitBit had the exact same reading. Either they are both wrong, or both correct. It is more likely both are correct. What are the odds that two different mechanisms could be wrong IDENTICALLY, over and over again? Of course, the calorie counter was a different story.

Perhaps with these devices, the FitBits and Garmins, etc., the one thing they do accurately is pulse rate, and everything else is sort of ballparkey. But the coolest feature is the ability to look at either your FitBit Surge or your smartphone (I have android os) and see all the cool, if somewhat inaccurate readings using the FitBit app.

Last edited by Plainsman; 02/14/16 05:35 PM.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4229114 - 02/14/16 07:36 PM Re: Do You Own a Fitbit? How's it Working? [Re: Plainsman]  
fatty Offline
fatty  Offline

Brussels, Belgium
Those are interesting results. The elliptical machine and your FitBit are tracking your heart rate through two different means. In the case of the elliptical, the metallic grips are actually registering the electrical signal passing through your skin as your heart works. I think it can depend on the manufacturer, but in general, but these and similar means for tracking heart rate - chest straps, EKG machines - are very accurate. Your FitBit and most other wrist-worn trackers measure heart rate optically, which means using bright LEDs to look through the skin and track the movement of blood.

I've never used an optical heart rate monitor like FitBit before, but I've seen some users report them as less accurate, with 10% or more discrepancy between optical monitors and 'real' results recorded by EKG. So, interesting that yours came back with practically the same readings.

Personally, I have a Polar M400 watch with a chest strap. It has a lot of features for tracking activity throughout the day, sleep patterns, and some other interesting metrics, but I only wear it when exercising. In that case, the chest strap comes in helpful for measuring intensity, effort, and progress over and above what a GPS can provide. I don't pay much attention to it when exercising, but it's both fun and rewarding to watch your average heart rate during exertion go down as you improve your physical fitness.

"...for who are so free as the sons of the waves?"
#4229129 - 02/14/16 08:28 PM Re: Do You Own a Fitbit? How's it Working? [Re: Plainsman]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
I've found pretty much the same with mine in the gym, it tends to match the cardio equipment. However, I know some equipment is designed to read Polar and other HR equipment automatically.

Even if it was 10% in error I'd still be happy with that, but it tends to be on the money. I'd imagine the overall daily average to be spot on though, through the use of averaging algorithms etc.

It has been interesting to see my daily resting heart rate decline dramatically though January after the excesses of Christmas (from a high of 72 to a low of 55). I can also see the effect of a night out for 2 or 3 days after too.

Nate

#4229131 - 02/14/16 08:33 PM Re: Do You Own a Fitbit? How's it Working? [Re: Plainsman]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

I wore one for a year. It was nice to confirm what I already knew: that I do a decent job of getting the miles in. But after awhile it felt like a grind. If it would charge itself, I'd have never stopped wearing it.

#4229157 - 02/14/16 09:51 PM Re: Do You Own a Fitbit? How's it Working? [Re: Plainsman]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Which do you think is the most accurate in assessing calorie burn? The FitBit or commercial exercise equipment like bikes, ellipticals, and treadmills? The FitBit seems to read lower than other equipment for calories burn.

ASUS RTX OC 2080
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#4229173 - 02/14/16 10:41 PM Re: Do You Own a Fitbit? How's it Working? [Re: Plainsman]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Love our ~3 year old NordicTrack treadmill (very soft, never hurts my feet)...

...but the hand grip heart rate monitor is crap (also the tiny squirrel-cage fan broke, no big loss). I can have a higher pulse just walking with a good pace than after my fat ass is running for 10 min!

Now I'm wondering how accurate the calorie burner is.

#4229175 - 02/14/16 10:51 PM Re: Do You Own a Fitbit? How's it Working? [Re: Plainsman]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
It told me I once masturbated for 5 miles!! wink

(The one I had for about a month before I stopped just measured hand movement.. so if on phone or changing music, didn't register the steps... other times would measure more then I really took due to vigorous hand movements.)

#4229199 - 02/15/16 12:59 AM Re: Do You Own a Fitbit? How's it Working? [Re: Plainsman]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
It shouldn't be any surprise that different equipment reads heart rate identically, it's a very straightforward thing to measure.

Apparent calories burned on the other hand are influenced by many variables, and should be considered as nothing more than estimates.

#4229209 - 02/15/16 01:51 AM Re: Do You Own a Fitbit? How's it Working? [Re: Brun]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
Quote:
Apparent calories burned on the other hand are influenced by many variables, and should be considered as nothing more than estimates.

and very rough estimates at that!! your way better going of heart rate, how tired you are, general muscle fatigue etc

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#4229347 - 02/15/16 03:23 PM Re: Do You Own a Fitbit? How's it Working? [Re: Meatsheild]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Originally Posted By: Meatsheild
Quote:

and very rough estimates at that!! your way better going of heart rate, how tired you are, general muscle fatigue etc

I don't quite understand. I never feel tired after working out. Pain, yes; fatigue, no. Am I not working out enough? A few weeks ago, I did tear a muscle linked by a tendon that connects to my bicep muscle. I was doing bicep curls with a 70-pound Powerblock. I've never felt anything that painful in my life, not even a high ankle sprain or the time I couldn't turn my head left or right without screaming. I have an MRI coming up this week for my arm.

ASUS RTX OC 2080
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#4230826 - 02/18/16 10:58 PM Re: Do You Own a Fitbit? How's it Working? [Re: Plainsman]  
ForSquirrels Offline
Veteran
ForSquirrels  Offline
Veteran

I have one, but it decided to stop charging without being rubber banded into the charger back in like October. i walk 8-10 miles a day at work on an average day and decided that I didn't really need to keep track of it every day. I finally stopped dealing with it when 3 days in a row I hit my step goal while driving down gravel roads at work. I guess the combo of slowish speed and bumpy road made it think I was running.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."
--Mark Twain

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

XBL: fmdckr81
#4231190 - 02/19/16 05:59 PM Re: Do You Own a Fitbit? How's it Working? [Re: ForSquirrels]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted By: ForSquirrels
I have one, but it decided to stop charging without being rubber banded into the charger back in like October. i walk 8-10 miles a day at work on an average day and decided that I didn't really need to keep track of it every day. I finally stopped dealing with it when 3 days in a row I hit my step goal while driving down gravel roads at work. I guess the combo of slowish speed and bumpy road made it think I was running.

rofl

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.