Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4229060 - 02/14/16 04:01 PM Re: Why I didn't join the Navy [Re: Timothy]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

All these tales of the sea. Unfortunately for me, I'm a landlubber (do you seadogs actually say that? And do you actually call yourselves seadogs?), so all I can offer is second-hand stories. But here are some of myfavorites.

here

SALUTE TO ALL!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4229139 - 02/14/16 09:03 PM Re: Why I didn't join the Navy [Re: SeaAce]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted By: SeaAce
Guys,you haven't lived until you've been caught off the Japanese coast in a DD with a Carrier group in a Typhoon,trying to maintain station heading into the Typhoon at 8 kts and making no headway.Calling the Group Command asking to increase speed cause we ain't making any headway and are about to roll over.

Reply from Command is no,Carrier doesn't care to go any faster as they have already suffered bow damage.Good luck and fair winds.Good time,aye,good times.

I am at the helm of an Offshore 105, a 10m fast work boat with 400ish HP, making revolutions for 22 knots against the tide in the Pentland Firth and the GPS is reading a ground speed of between 4 and 6 knots. There is a small low island off our starboard beam with an old wreck of a fishing boat sitting on top of the island and the island is getting bigger and bigger...

We were making for the other side of the island to survey the bottom for a wreck that foundered off the island in 1937.

Another time I was watching a deep sea trawler going west through the firth, you could hear the engine hammering away and the boat was hardly moving. I was waiting for the boat to dock at Scrabster so I could fix the radar before they headed off to the Grand Banks. Skipper was cursing as he had caught the tide wrong and his boat could only do 18kt, and had a headway of 2kt against the 16kt tide.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4229193 - 02/15/16 12:22 AM Re: Why I didn't join the Navy [Re: Timothy]  
SeaAce Offline
SeaAce  Offline

Muscle Shoals Alabama
Alicatt,anyone that ever stood at a helm and steered a craft has to love running seas.Especially a following one where the stern is trying to get ahead of the bow.Man talk about a workout,as soon as you get the rudder over you are swinging her back the other way trying to catch the dang ship and maintain some part of the heading you have been told to steer.

Still, for all to storms,being away from home,getting up for midwatch,standing bridge watch and being seasick for the first three months when we went out I loved my time in the Navy.Good memories.

Last edited by SeaAce; 02/15/16 12:23 AM.
#4229277 - 02/15/16 09:20 AM Re: Why I didn't join the Navy [Re: Timothy]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
SeaAce, I had a little 6m Dory, she was a small flat raider craft ex Royal Marines, with an 85hp Johnson outboard, on a good day she would do about 30kt maybe 32kt, I used to love getting her up the top of a nice rolling wave and try and keep her there and let the wave do most of the pushing and trying not to let the wind get under the bow. I used her as a small dive boat, at a pinch I have had 8 divers on board and still managed to get her on the plane.

She was something like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigid_Raider

This is the entrance to the harbour at Wick on a slightly choppy day biggrin

And how the harbour looked in 1860 when it was a thriving fishing port

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4229282 - 02/15/16 10:06 AM Re: Why I didn't join the Navy [Re: Timothy]  
BD-123 Online content
Old Scroat
BD-123  Online Content
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Tony Draper, another old salt member should be telling some of his tales here.

I remember Nixer's rivetting account here of riding out Katrina (I think it was).

Me; I was sick on a rowing boat in a cove.

I was on a Dover Ostend ferry in the Early '70's on which was said to be the worst crossing for 40 years. The Cross-Channel ferries were pretty dire then. All the decks were swimming and sloshing back and forth with vomit. I was okay until I witnessed some French lorry drivers imperturbably tucking into full-English breakfasts. That finished me off. I'm sure that I was so sick that I siphoned up my underpants through my alimentary canal.
We were going to a Kendo Competition in Germany, so I had my Katana and Wakazashi with me. Seppuku looked very tempting for a while.

(Imagine 6 people armed like that trying to board a boat these days!)

#4229352 - 02/15/16 03:34 PM Re: Why I didn't join the Navy [Re: Timothy]  
SeaAce Offline
SeaAce  Offline

Muscle Shoals Alabama
Well,BD-123,they always told to save the little round hairy thing we upchucked,we might need it later on.Yea,on food, first meal out every time was pork stew just to get every ones stomach in the right frame of mind.

#4229377 - 02/15/16 04:14 PM Re: Why I didn't join the Navy [Re: Timothy]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I once had a 7 day cruise last 10 days because a hurricane, I think it was Francis but I might have forgotten because we were hit with 4 that year, went up the coast, hit the port, and filled in the channel. smile

We waited to see if they would be able to dredge it in time, but they couldn't, so we docked 200 miles away and got bused back. frown

The ship itself was never in much distress, the waves were pretty flat as far out as we were from the storm.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4229401 - 02/15/16 05:08 PM Re: Why I didn't join the Navy [Re: Murphy]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted By: Murphy
And "Captain" Nixer, would know.

I bet you miss it sometimes...... smile

Yes Murphy I do miss some of it at times. Glorious sunrises and sunsets, quiet nights hanging from an oil platform and all kinds of sea life...From Whales, BIG sharks to hordes of little squid attracted to our lights and everything in between. I miss the challenge of doing very difficult operations with a boat, pushing the envelope and still trying to be "safe". That comes with experience.

I don't miss being "controlled" by clueless individuals with little to zero concern for your well being, standing at the wheel for 11 hrs running for safe harbor because it's so rough you can't sit down and mechanical breakdowns at the worst possible time.

I am most proud of the fact that I had ZERO lost time injuries on my watch, or on a vessel that I was the master of in 15 yrs with a license.

Glad I did it and glad I am done. Haven't been in a boat of any kind since I left over 3 yrs ago. Just doesn't interest me. Some day....

Great stories folks, thanks for sharing. yep

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4229420 - 02/15/16 05:48 PM Re: Why I didn't join the Navy [Re: Timothy]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
Quote:
I am most proud of the fact that I had ZERO lost time injuries on my watch, or on a vessel that I was the master of in 15 yrs with a license

That sir, is an accomplishment that is worthy of note. I have never served in any sort of ship but spent 3 decades in construction/project management. There are not many individuals or companies that can get 5 years with no lost time accidents , let alone 15. Well done !!

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.