Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4185849 - 10/25/15 02:11 AM Re: I play or used to play an instrument! [Re: letterboy1]  
Snap Offline
Veteran
Snap  Offline
Veteran

Love my zildjians. I have an A custom 18" crash and an A 16" crash.

I have always used 13" hi-hats and currently am using Sabian Paragons.

My long lasting (suffering?) ride is an old Paiste, not sure which model, but it still sounds excellent.

I usually play with a 6"-8" splash, too. Whichever brand sounds best when I go to get a new one.

#4186060 - 10/25/15 11:10 PM Re: I play or used to play an instrument! [Re: Snap]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Originally Posted By: Snapdad2112
Love my zildjians. I have an A custom 18" crash and an A 16" crash.

I have always used 13" hi-hats and currently am using Sabian Paragons.

My long lasting (suffering?) ride is an old Paiste, not sure which model, but it still sounds excellent.

I usually play with a 6"-8" splash, too. Whichever brand sounds best when I go to get a new one.

That is exactly why I choose a Wuhan 18 inch China cymbal - because I love that sound.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4191662 - 11/06/15 08:36 PM Re: I play or used to play an instrument! [Re: letterboy1]  
Friday Offline
Friday  Offline

Sevenoaks, England.
I only started playing guitar 3 years ago.

I really don't understand why as all my life I have loved listening to music but for some reason it only just occurred to me that I could learn to play my favourite riffs.

I own a strat clone, an acoustic and one of these-

So, you can probably work out for yourself what music I grew up with :0)

That Farrow bloke you executed today, are you sure he's dead?
Well I chopped his head off, that usually does the trick.
Yes, don't get clever with me Baldrick. I just thought you might have lopped off a leg or something by mistake.
No, the thing I chopped off had a nose.
#4192543 - 11/09/15 07:56 AM Re: I play or used to play an instrument! [Re: letterboy1]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
Nice, I have always liked the look of an offset guitar!

Since my previous post here, I have added a Squier Jaguar to my arsenal. With my playing skills I just cannot justify getting a real Fender. Still it is a great looking guitar and it sounds right. The only thing I don't quite like is the pickguard. I'll probably replace it with a black one.

I also had the electronics of the Chevy upgraded (see how shiny those pickups are! wink ). Now it sounds very close to what one would expect from a Les Paul.

In addition, I got myself one of these:

There are times when I need to be absolutely quiet and play in another room, and hauling the amp and cables up and down the stairs is just not practical. This gadget plugs straight into the guitar, headphones go into the other end. The sound is actually quite good for such a little thing.

Last edited by Johan217; 11/09/15 10:56 AM.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
#4195975 - 11/18/15 07:42 PM Re: I play or used to play an instrument! [Re: letterboy1]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
This is all I have left of a small collection over the years. I would love to get one of the new Fender Squire Classic Vibe series Telecasters.

#4196123 - 11/19/15 03:42 AM Re: I play or used to play an instrument! [Re: letterboy1]  
Scott Elson Offline
Scott Elson  Offline

Hunt Valley, MD, USA
I started piano lessons in the 2nd grade and did those through 6th. I found out later on that my teacher was so worried about my fingers being in the correct shape she had me watching my hands all the time and so I memorized the music instead of sight reading, which I had to teach myself later.
I forget when I started playing handbells in church but that too was in elementary school. I had to join the singing choir as well since to ring you also had to sing.
I started playing the tenor sax in 5th grade and continued with that until I entered high school since I had no interest in the marching band. I was on the small side at the time and walked to school so we got the OK for me to use a push golf cart to carry it. In 5th or 6th grade I was in the State Band and State Orchestra. I forget what the age range was. During junior high I was in the Stage Band.
In college I picked up the recorder, which I played for SCA dances, and had a few bamboo flutes. I also learned a bit of the guitar but never progressed too far on that.
When I started making games I worked so much overtime that I didn't play anything for years. Around 2002 I got pulled back into my churches choir (tenors are always in demand) and that got me interested in making music again so I picked up a Roland FP-1 digital piano. Later on one of the guys I worked with pointed out a Roland sound module he liked so I picked that up to give the keyboard more sound options. Years later I also picked up a Yamaha WX-5 wind controller which can be played like a sax and I can hook into the sound module as well.
My most recent instrument is a pipe organ. When I bought my house a bit ago the previous owner had been an organist and had bought it in an auction from a church. She wasn't going to take it with her so I bought it from her. It has two manuals and a full set of pedals. I'm still at the beginning stages of learning what to do with my feet.

#4196128 - 11/19/15 04:29 AM Re: I play or used to play an instrument! [Re: letterboy1]  
Otto3 Offline
Otto3  Offline

NC,USA
I used to play these:

#4196472 - 11/19/15 09:53 PM Re: I play or used to play an instrument! [Re: letterboy1]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Piano, clarinet, saxophone (alto and tenor), and just under ten years of voice lessons. Tried to start a band once upon a time back in high school, at the height of the Swing resurgence craze of the mid 90's, but could never get it to work, because prima donna singers, and brass players with easily bruised egos...

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#4196591 - 11/20/15 04:51 AM Re: I play or used to play an instrument! [Re: NavyNuke99]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
That sucks Nuke! I absolutely loved the 90's swing/ska/brass in a band movement!

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4226067 - 02/06/16 06:27 PM Re: I play or used to play an instrument! [Re: letterboy1]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

Sorry to bring this thread back, but my wife agreed to get me a guitar for my birthday in a few weeks time. I had a 3/4 acoustic when I was a kid in the 80s, and learned enough chords to learn Kum-by-yah and Amazing Grace, which is enough to put anyone off learning an instrument. Especially as I was into Van Halen, Vai, Malmsteen. It just didn't cut it and the interest died pretty quickly.

This time I'm getting an LP clone and hoping I have a bit more maturity to devote some time to learning it. While I still wish to learn some songs and riffs of the metal gods (esp Maiden, Sabbath, Metallica, GnR, etc), my interest now extends to Blues, punk, and especially the stuff of the Travelling Wilburys, as a band and solo - a heck of a back catalogue to dive into.

Because of these wildly different interests, I'll probably also pick up a digital modelling doodaa - otherwise I'll have to remortgage for the pedals I'd need to cover all the genres I like...

The number of on-demand tutorials, along with Rocksmith, just seems to make it a much easier, and less expensive proposition to learn some basic electric guitar than it was in the 80s. (not to dismiss practice, practice, practice wink )

#4226134 - 02/06/16 09:44 PM Re: I play or used to play an instrument! [Re: letterboy1]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
There's so much available online - lessons on technique, playing specific songs, skill building drills, it's fantastic for us old comeback players! If this had been around when I was a kid I would probably have never stopped playing guitar (or even left the house!).

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4226306 - 02/07/16 09:37 AM Re: I play or used to play an instrument! [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Originally Posted By: JohnnyChemo
There's so much available online - lessons on technique, playing specific songs, skill building drills, it's fantastic for us old comeback players! If this had been around when I was a kid I would probably have never stopped playing guitar (or even left the house!).

I bought my first acoustic (Harmony) about 15 years ago and tried reading chord books and stuff to learn, but there were no YouTube tutorials on anything and I found it very hard and put it down.

Fast forward to about two years ago and YouTube has taught me a ton on acoustic, electric, and even ukulele. Marty Schwartz (Martyzsongs) from Guitarjamz is great. Papastachepop, ShutUpAndPlay, and GuitarMadeEZ on YouTube are also great.

Rocksmith made it a ton easier to learn my favorite riffs and solos. I can kill "Smoke On The Water"...the way it's actually played rather than just the intro...lol.

Still learning, not ready to hit the road, but getting better. smile

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4226409 - 02/07/16 04:07 PM Re: I play or used to play an instrument! [Re: letterboy1]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Beautiful instruments on this thread.

I have no natural talent and a bad sense of timing, I wasn't meant to be a musician. But I really enjoy watching others play, a live performance is my favorite entertainment.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4228718 - 02/13/16 10:40 AM Re: I play or used to play an instrument! [Re: Johan217]  
Friday Offline
Friday  Offline

Sevenoaks, England.
[/quote]In addition, I got myself one of these:

There are times when I need to be absolutely quiet and play in another room, and hauling the amp and cables up and down the stairs is just not practical. This gadget plugs straight into the guitar, headphones go into the other end. The sound is actually quite good for such a little thing.[/quote]

I found the Classic Rock version at a Cash Converters shop the other day, it was cheap as chips but I like the sound it produces, it's certainly easier than humping the main amp around and I can plug it into the output of my pedal for extra effects.

Last edited by Friday; 02/13/16 10:42 AM. Reason: It didn't quote right

That Farrow bloke you executed today, are you sure he's dead?
Well I chopped his head off, that usually does the trick.
Yes, don't get clever with me Baldrick. I just thought you might have lopped off a leg or something by mistake.
No, the thing I chopped off had a nose.
#4228895 - 02/13/16 10:55 PM Re: I play or used to play an instrument! [Re: letterboy1]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I just use headphones from my little 5 watt practice amp. That way I can use my multi-effect peddle and chromatic tuner. Rockman used to make a good product like this too.

#4228964 - 02/14/16 05:16 AM Re: I play or used to play an instrument! [Re: LB4LB]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
I have a Korg Pandora Mini. Pocket sized awesomeness.

I also have that same Fender 10G...pretty good little amp.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4230323 - 02/17/16 07:35 PM Re: I play or used to play an instrument! [Re: letterboy1]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Man, that Pandora Mini is SWEET! I'm not even active in music any more but I still love good gear! smile

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4234567 - 02/28/16 08:40 PM Re: I play or used to play an instrument! [Re: letterboy1]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

My ungodly axe of awesomeness has arrived!

(my fingertips are already sore but I claim victory over 28% of Blitzkrieg Bop by the Ramones in Rocksmith 2014 biggrin )

#4234693 - 02/29/16 07:46 AM Re: I play or used to play an instrument! [Re: U-96]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
Originally Posted By: U-96

Because of these wildly different interests, I'll probably also pick up a digital modelling doodaa - otherwise I'll have to remortgage for the pedals I'd need to cover all the genres I like...

The Fender Mustang amps are very good value for money if you are just looking for a practice amp. I picked up a Mustang I and I continue to be amazed by the possibilities, wishing these things existed back when I started out on the guitar.

Also check out www.justinguitar.com if you are looking for good quality lesson material.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
#4234881 - 02/29/16 04:49 PM Re: I play or used to play an instrument! [Re: letterboy1]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
The finger tip pain has always been an issue with me. I tend to play for a few months and then not touch it for a few. Each time I get my calluses back, I lose them again. There are some good cheap multi effect pedals out there. I have the Zoom G1N.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.