Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4228355 - 02/12/16 01:07 PM F-14 Tomcat - UFO intercept (retro sim)  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Halloween. On October 31st, Your squadron has been holding exercises of the Florida coast for the past several weeks. Despite being so near to Bermuda triangle the cruise has been uneventful, even the Cubans have stayed well away. In an instant all that changes. Off in the distance strange lights in the sky have been reported. From the CIC comes the word to scramble. The Air Boss can be heard joking about the possibility of UFOs tailing the ship. To you it's no joke, however, since you're the one who has to check it out ...

F-14 Fleet Defender Gold from Microprose. Iconic fighter depicted in a similarly iconic flight simulation classic, still considered by many as best Tomcat simulator.

Despite dated appearance, the game is still engaging and immersive. The battlefield is filled with enemy and allied planes alike (even some neutrals). The theatres themselves are varied and the scenarios are interesting. Featured are Oceana (training), North Cape, Mediterranean, and introduced in later 2.0 version India and Korea with added Pacific Tomcat squadrons.

Known by their realistic approach to avionics since F-15 Strike Eagle III, Microprose implemented really advanced for its time systems suite of the Tomcat. Cockpits (pilot's and RIO) are clickable, AWG-9 radar system modelled realistically with the ability to fire six AIM-54 Phoenix missiles to six individual targets at the same time (in TWS-A/M mode). The use of Data Link with either the Carrier or the Hawkeye helps you detect the enemy while not revealing your own location to the enemy, by keeping your own radar in standby.

If included set of missions are not enough, there is also a powerful Mission Builder, which was used by the original mission creators for the game.

To further maximize the replayability, some missions had a form of randomness added to them. For example in this particular mission you had random chance (determined by percentage value in the mission editor) of encountering Cuban MIGs-21, lost flight of Avenger bombers or an actual UFO as seen in this video.

Sorry for the lousy landing, I had a long break from the game...

2nd video - Flight 19

The 3rd video showcases the Tomcat's ability to engage multiple targets simultaneously.

Last edited by damson; 02/15/16 05:32 PM. Reason: added some info
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4229511 - 02/15/16 09:10 PM Re: F-14 Tomcat - UFO intercept (retro sim) [Re: damson]  
Buggerstein Offline
Buggerstein  Offline

Thanks for bringing this one up.

Had it myself (the Fleet Defender Gold variant with the pacific stuff).

However skipped Oceana, so never ever found these, but remeber fights at North Cape with lots of intercepts of Bears, Tu-16, Tu-22 and a plehorta of Migs. And i really liked to reach out with six Phoenix and touch them right where it hurt.

The Radar avionics were far more advance than anything i laid my hands on later.
I really liked to tweak beam yaw / width to find that elusive bandit,
gave a lot of satisfaction when you nailed him.

Unfortunately Third wire Sims are light sims with more basic avionics.

Carrier landing with LSO rating were also great. nothing better than catching No. 3 in a night trap.

Thanks again for brining it up.

PS: did you use Dosbox to run it?

"Gee, I wish I had just one more bomb!"
#4229542 - 02/15/16 11:40 PM Re: F-14 Tomcat - UFO intercept (retro sim) [Re: Buggerstein]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Originally Posted By: Buggerstein

The Radar avionics were far more advance than anything i laid my hands on later.
I really liked to tweak beam yaw / width to find that elusive bandit,
gave a lot of satisfaction when you nailed him.

Unfortunately Third wire Sims are light sims with more basic avionics.

Carrier landing with LSO rating were also great. nothing better than catching No. 3 in a night trap.

Thanks again for brining it up.

PS: did you use Dosbox to run it?

The avionics were very well modelled. That's one of the things that keeps me still interested in this game. You're right about the Thirdwire rendition of the Tomcat - it's way simplified and there's no RIO cockpit. I would love the remake of the Fleet Defender (nor necessarily as in depth as DCS Tomcat will be, but with features of the Microprose game with updated graphics and sound).

Yep, it's running in DOSBox. With my T Flight HOTAS X, I have working HAT, throttle, and rudder pedals by rocker switch.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.