Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
#4226329 - 02/07/16 11:40 AM Re: WOFF GOLD ***** [Re: Polovski]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Olham,

The DM is visually satisfying, however, here is what I think can be improved.

Wing, strut, rudder, aileron should show variable levels of damage before breaking off when it's shot up. This adds to the visual representation between a badly shot up craft from one that has some bullet holes. A tense moment for those trying to land when you don't know when your wing will snap off. Or maybe the wheels/undercarriage is damaged and may collapse when you touch down or land with only one wheel.... ahoy

Instrument panel can show cracked, damaged, non functioning instruments when bullets hit the cockpit/engine but miss the pilot. Another tense moment when you need to eyeball and judge your altitude or speed when you're trying to land.

I don't think the game visually displays a fuel or oil leak through the plane's instrument panel.

Maybe showing pilot effects gradually losing blood or oil on goggles with engine damage/failure. A very tense moment to land before either your pilot dies or you barely can see through your goggles.

Could be other things which I may be missing, but it would be nice to have the ability to turn these effects on or off. IMHO, this will add a level of challenge.

Now, I don't see how adding new AI planes will be equivalent to improving the DM. Sure, some planes are needed to fill gaps, but I mean how many times can you shoot down a new plane before it becomes repetitive? For me, I'll be more satisfied if OBD focuses 90% of their time on AI and DM improvements over adding new AI planes.

Last edited by OldHat; 02/07/16 11:56 AM.
#4226334 - 02/07/16 11:55 AM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: Polovski]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
There are multiple areas but the biggie for me...which really is a "immersion killer" for me is the total wing loss scenario.
This is where I get behind a plane and am really shooting him up then the wings separate from the fuselage. No explosion just separate - this is fine as sometimes happened.

My issue is the wings remain perfectly straight and level for several seconds after this separation. Visually looks poor.

#4226350 - 02/07/16 01:04 PM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
There are multiple areas but the biggie for me...which really is a "immersion killer" for me is the total wing loss scenario.

This is where I get behind a plane and am really shooting him up then the wings separate from the fuselage. No explosion just separate - this is fine as sometimes happened.

My issue is the wings remain perfectly straight and level for several seconds after this separation. Visually looks poor.

I guess it did happen but I wonder if it happened as frequently as it does in the sim. I would love to see this effect scaled back considerably if not outright removed. For me, it's the new "engine exploding out of the plane" effect. I cringe every time I see it. I'd love to see more smoke trails, flames, single wing broken off, landing gear broken, dead pilots & gunners (yay!) and much better torn fabric from bullets - like what happens to wings when they have been damaged due to overly fast dive speeds - instead of just black dots.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4226366 - 02/07/16 01:57 PM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: Polovski]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
WOFF's purpose in being is to give the simmer the experience of being there: the squadrons, the people, the places. It is at its core a career sim. For that reason I would place polishing its career-simulating features as a higher priority than minor graphic improvements. Those polish points would include...

1. Improving the accuracy of ranks (at least as an option). Fewer RFC sergeant pilots, especially in single-seater squadrons. Fewer Captain observers, especially after the early war years. RNAS ranks for Naval observers. NCOs should not get medals reserved for officers and vice versa.

2. Figuring out a away to treat the RNAS as a discrete service with its own medal track until the RAF comes along.

3. Tweaking the claims system. I'd love to see it tap into the algorithm used for escape vs capture decisions -- something like the following: "if the EA kill location is in enemy territory and if it would be a capture (had it been a probability check for a friendly landing instead of an enemy kill location) then minimal chance of confirmation; if the probability check would have resulted in escape, then the probability number that determined the escape should become a modifier improving the chance of the kill confirmation.

4. The French 2 seaters and DH 4.

5. An extended training program with Avros and Rumpeties, for example.

Just saying. Just dreaming.

#4226383 - 02/07/16 02:59 PM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: Polovski]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Well yes of course wings did separate from the fuselage and fairly often also.
Said wings. however, did not continue to fly normally as if an invisible fuselage was still holding them together.
In the vast scheme of WOFF greatness is it a huge deal? No.
But if that and other niggling things like that can be fixed then why not?

I could make you a list of 50 things I would like to see quite easily but I try to be a realist.

#4226457 - 02/07/16 06:50 PM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: Polovski]  
Wolfstriked Offline
Wolfstriked  Offline

NYC
I am also excited for the improved DM,more ground activity and the scenery boost.But most important for me is if WOFF will be ready for virtual reality.I have seen a few posts that have asked if WOFF will ever work with VR but no answer has been given.VR is the ultimate immersion boost with its highly touted "presence" effect that tricks the mind into believing that you are truly seated in a cockpit.Think really having to turn and look backwards to check six and also leaning into a gun sight as fluid as in real life.;)

Michael Abrash explains presence well in this video.Watch at 12:00 or watch whole video if interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-2dQoeqVVo

Last edited by Wolfstriked; 02/07/16 07:06 PM.
#4226669 - 02/08/16 09:01 AM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: Polovski]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Think it is better for OBD to wait on VR aspects, see what happen to 3D, this was also very promising, but both on games as on TV it is vanished.

More ground activity like we see in RoF-PWCG would be great. Moving soldiers/tank battles/random explosions and not always "on the same spot" explosions would be great, right now it is rather lonely on the trenches.
But this is only useful/interesting if your task is to give support on that spot, without it is only consuming CPU power.
A given task, like you see in RoF: artillery guiding or photo mission would also be great. Only here I would also see what if I did made a photo, does this have any use for intelligence officer.

#4226676 - 02/08/16 10:45 AM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: dutch]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Originally Posted By: dutch

More ground activity like we see in RoF-PWCG would be great. Moving soldiers/tank battles/random explosions and not always "on the same spot" explosions would be great, right now it is rather lonely on the trenches.

Maybe you have to crank up the settings in workshop for scenery etc.? In battles explosions are all over the place. Tanks, soldiers, etc. Everything there. And if density is higher, then, you'll see more explosions and stuff happening everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGb3w17p5jA

here you can see snippets of everything

#4226678 - 02/08/16 11:07 AM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: Creaghorn]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Creaghorn
...here you can see snippets of everything...

I like that bit, where the German tank ran off it's broken right track!
Great detail in there!

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4226870 - 02/08/16 06:59 PM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: Polovski]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
I'm happy what ever gets imporved upon.

#4227012 - 02/09/16 04:30 AM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: Polovski]  
Wolfstriked Offline
Wolfstriked  Offline

NYC
Dutch,VR will blow 3D vision away. attack

#4227023 - 02/09/16 06:47 AM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: Wodin]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Originally Posted By: Wodin
I'm happy what ever gets imporved upon.

For me, I'd want to see a significant AI and DM improvement over what is in version 2 to be worth spending my money. Although I'm hopeful this will be the case, I've decided to wait and see if the improvements in GOLD will be worth the cost of upgrading from v2 with all the addons.

#4227185 - 02/09/16 07:14 PM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: Creaghorn]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Originally Posted By: Creaghorn
Originally Posted By: dutch

Maybe you have to crank up the settings in workshop for scenery etc.? In battles explosions are all over the place. Tanks, soldiers, etc. Everything there. And if density is higher, then, you'll see more explosions and stuff happening everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGb3w17p5jA

here you can see snippets of everything

Thanks, I will check that for sure. But about the explosions on the ground I know for 100% they occur always on the same spot, if you are in the air.

#4227288 - 02/10/16 12:26 AM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: Polovski]  
Wolfstriked Offline
Wolfstriked  Offline

NYC
Many misconceptions have arisen over the last few weeks.
Here are OBDs plans for the future:

1) There will be ongoing addons for WOFF2 - this is a given.

2) We are working on a new non WW1 product - this is a given.

3) We are contemplating a WOFF Gold (WOFF3) and deciding what should be in it if at all.

Item 3) is the only debate going on on our side - in other words we are contemplating is the core WOFF engine done - or do we put more into it.
Not more planes - that falls into category 1) - but more sim engine/system/code functionality.....

Well thats our current roadmap.

WM

Wow,just found this after reading thru alot of past posts.Did not know about the Non WW1 project.Or that WOFF 3 is being decided on the idea that the WOFF engine is done or should more work be put into sim engine/system/code functionality.....
Would love to hear what the ideas are of tweaks done to the sim engine and think that the WOFF players should also be valuable in giving suggestions as to what should be next step.I for one find WOFF to look a magnitude better than the other flight sims I play and wonder if a new engine would give the same look.That said the new project is not WW1 related so....

Last edited by Wolfstriked; 02/10/16 12:27 AM.
#4227345 - 02/10/16 06:22 AM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: dutch]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia

Quote:
Thanks, I will check that for sure. But about the explosions on the ground I know for 100% they occur always on the same spot, if you are in the air.

That's what I mean, maybe you should crank up your scenery etc. in WS. Having it lesser means maybe less explosions, more explosions on the same spot. Having things high definitely has explosions everywhere. Of course they are still somewhat concentrated. Artillery want so hit and destroy enemy trenches etc. But many more explosions everywhere. Take a look here:

#4227366 - 02/10/16 09:39 AM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: Polovski]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Creaghorn, how high did you set your scenery? Is it on "5" ?

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4227371 - 02/10/16 10:29 AM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: Polovski]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Yes, all on 5 salute

#4227394 - 02/10/16 12:32 PM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: Wolfstriked]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Originally Posted By: Wolfstriked

...but more sim engine/system/code functionality.....

I find this statement very exciting and, for me, it ranks right up there in importance as additional aircraft.

#4227445 - 02/10/16 02:44 PM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: dutch]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia

Quote:

or this one from 3:36 to 3:44 :-)

#4227507 - 02/10/16 04:55 PM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: Polovski]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Creaghorn, thanks for the help, I have adjusted the WS setting pure on readings here but could you post a screen shot from your WoFF WS, think me and Olham are very curious on that.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM