Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4239724 - 03/14/16 03:06 PM Re: Why aren't more playing online? ***** [Re: TychosElk]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.
Originally Posted By: TychosElk

It hardly seems surprising that a commercial concern should give 'more leeway' on their own website to people supporting their products. And compared to some games developers' websites I could name, the BoS one has been relatively open.

LOL. You can't be serious?

Now if you mean relatively open to bash and ban people who don't worship the devs and kiss backside in every post...then I agree.

BOS was based on hope of a return of the "legend" according to their marketing. It's not. It turned into a war thunder wannabe with a stupid sticker price and a horrible system for online and even worse for SP.

Not sure if you can tell but 777 is killing the genre as much as the old timers if not more.

Until a Western dev makes decide to make a CFS I think the genre is dying by the hand of the current devs.

#4242992 - 03/24/16 05:00 PM Re: Why aren't more playing online? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
15/JG52_Genie Offline
15/JG52_Genie  Offline

Doha, Qatar
get me some good'ol online war back and I will be flying again...

#4243013 - 03/24/16 06:21 PM Re: Why aren't more playing online? [Re: lokitexas]  
Dakpilot Offline
Dakpilot  Offline

Originally Posted By: lokitexas

It hardly seems surprising that a commercial concern should give 'more leeway' on their own website to people supporting their products. And compared to some games developers' websites I could name, the BoS one has been relatively open.

Now if you mean relatively open to bash and ban people who don't worship the devs and kiss backside in every post...then I agree.

BOS was based on hope of a return of the "legend" according to their marketing. It's not. It turned into a war thunder wannabe with a stupid sticker price and a horrible system for online and even worse for SP.

Not sure if you can tell but 777 is killing the genre as much as the old timers if not more.

Until a Western dev makes decide to make a CFS I think the genre is dying by the hand of the current devs.

This is very true, Western Dev's by their lack of ANYTHING must therefore be keeping the genre alive...

Sim light = Warthunder

Sim medium = BoS

Sim serious = DCS

all hail the Western Devs keeping the genre alive, while Eastern European Dev's kill it...LOL winkngrin

Cheers Dakpilot

#4243179 - 03/25/16 09:45 AM Re: Why aren't more playing online? [Re: Dakpilot]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted By: Dakpilot

all hail the Western Devs keeping the genre alive, while Eastern European Dev's kill it...LOL winkngrin

Cheers Dakpilot

It's a great point that the devs keeping sim genre alive are all in the East. May their gods bless them I say!

Why is that I wonder? Are development costs in the west too high to make niche game development viable?

H

[Linked Image]
#4243234 - 03/25/16 02:13 PM Re: Why aren't more playing online? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
All hail Western Devs! wink

#4243264 - 03/25/16 03:40 PM Re: Why aren't more playing online? [Re: Dakpilot]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.
Originally Posted By: Dakpilot
Originally Posted By: lokitexas

This is very true, Western Dev's by their lack of ANYTHING must therefore be keeping the genre alive...

Sim light = Warthunder

Sim medium = BoS

Sim serious = DCS

Cheers Dakpilot

All hail lack of comprehension.

As I stated...the current devs have a knack for mostly doing things the way they want, and not always the way their audience wants. It seems to be the norm for all 3 developers of the games you listed. Is a coincidence they are all in the same geographic location? The only ones making CFS's still? I dont know, but I would LOVE to see a developer from another area attempt it.

Until that happens CFS fans are stuck with the stubborn development teams. And I do mean stuck. Your choices are slim when it comes to this genre.

It is slowly fading out. I have not seen a revival like I have in other genres. Iso RPG's are back. Racing sims are picking up again. Space sims are booming again.

Then again if the only teams playing are 3rd and 4th stringers....expect a low scoring game, and a slim audience.

#4243276 - 03/25/16 04:03 PM Re: Why aren't more playing online? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
TychosElk Offline
TychosElk  Offline

I think we'd all like to see more developers involved. Frankly though, if someone asked me whether developing combat sims was a wise investment, I'd have to say no - the potential market is too small, the demands made by the most vociferous customers are unachievable, and you'd get a higher return from your money by developing something more mainstream. Does it really make economic sense to spend months trying to accurately model an actual WW2 aircraft, when you can invent a spaceship all of your own instead, and not have anyone spending months spamming your customers with obscure historical documents supposedly showing that the rate of climb was off by 0.2 m/s?

#4243324 - 03/25/16 07:37 PM Re: Why aren't more playing online? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

This problem is imponderable and universal across the genre. Sometimes choice kills the market. First there was IL2. Yes, it had some competition but it owned the market for the most part and it was where most of us went. The CLOD and DCS:WWII fiascos with the Russian infighting didn't help. 777 FUBARing RoF certainly didn't help. I am greatful to have had a great 10 year ride with IL2 and the first few years of Rise of Flight. Nothing that followed came close so I quit.

#4243465 - 03/26/16 01:10 PM Re: Why aren't more playing online? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

Most likely reason for not many players is:

1. Not a good game
2. Not a fun game to play

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4253382 - 04/27/16 08:28 AM Re: Why aren't more playing online? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Targ Offline
Targ  Offline

Alaska
The Blitz pigs have been having a great time online flying.

IL2 BoS is a great sim as is BoM.

CloD is a great sim as well after the mods came out for it and fixed many of the issues.

Far as I can tell people are just poisoning the well due to being grumpy, old men past their prime.

#4253388 - 04/27/16 09:02 AM Re: Why aren't more playing online? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Don't be pathetic... it's nothing to do with grumpy old men, grow up.
It's simply that the flight sim market has changed... why do you think the dev's tried to drag the War Thunder crowd over to BoS/BoM?

It's because each night there are thousands of players flying with that game. It's easy access, not difficult to learn and play, etc, etc... The old days have gone... we will never have the same community we had with the old IL2.

The only way we might improve numbers is to employ a 'Hyperlobby' type system with dedicated co-ops... it's been asked for since the game came out, yet totally ignored.
Why is it constantly asked for? Because online players 'know' what they want, they know what works, yet the dev's don't seem to want to migrate in that direction... Fair play to them, it's their game after all.

And don't get me wrong... I believe the dev's have made huge strides in making improvements to the game over the last 12 months. But to blame grumpy old men for the games short comings, and it does have some, is a totally immature statement.

#4253509 - 04/27/16 04:13 PM Re: Why aren't more playing online? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Yes the fact I am a grumpy old man is besides the point. And I'm not that old, and I'm more bitter than angry

#4253523 - 04/27/16 05:03 PM Re: Why aren't more playing online? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
lol!... well Bish, I am a grumpy old man, but I don't hate BoS or CloD... but I'll join your old gits club smile

#4253533 - 04/27/16 05:17 PM Re: Why aren't more playing online? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
You seem to be discovering what the Tactical First shooter's have been struggling with for years.

"X-Box" and the likes killed the sim market, and are capturing the new comers!...The learning curve has no equal, and this is entertainment!...

Most gamers today want entertainment, simulating reality is tedious, or is only fun when visiting Air/Space museums and riding their simulators while packing 1.5 Gs. Then if you want the real thing, you can sign up for flight lessons at the local airfield, in between which you will be blasting away on your x-box.

Unfortunately, simers are a dying breed with no offsprings!!! sigh

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#4253537 - 04/27/16 05:33 PM Re: Why aren't more playing online? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

I know I'm not playing anymore because of the attitude displayed by most people in MP, and the fact that cheating has been proven to exist, and is ignored by the devs. Everything from "passive" cheating like binding elevator trim to joystick, to very "active" cheats that enables HUD, labels, aim assist, etc. on servers that have it turned off.

#4253581 - 04/27/16 07:15 PM Re: Why aren't more playing online? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

haha bisher, you're a canadian copy of me smile

#4253606 - 04/27/16 07:47 PM Re: Why aren't more playing online? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
lol theOden. I know biggrin

#4253692 - 04/27/16 10:55 PM Re: Why aren't more playing online? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
JagerNeun Offline
JagerNeun  Offline

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Come join us....This is a hyperlobby coop of sorts, without the flexibility, but same concept. We are going to sponsor this style of campaign for a couple of months and see how it progresses. Full Real settings, mission objectives, with some AI sprinkled out there as well.

Mini Campaign Coop

For our Teamspeak just navigate to our website and click on our comms....

#4253989 - 04/28/16 06:11 PM Re: Why aren't more playing online? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
As the ability for PCs to model more and more increased, the customers demanded more and more to be modeled. Meanwhile, development costs increased universally and complexity for creating even a lite sim went up.
Devs picked and chose their focus, and where did they go to? Visuals (because videos/screenshots sell) and the physical modeling of the planes (because claims of "most realistic ever!" sell).

Look at all the areas that had to be neglected to make those two work:
Robust MP (including anti-cheat, coop for campaigns and single missions, and so on)
AI that felt realistic (not hard, because hard =! realistic, and just because you can get 10 kills in one mission doesn't make it unrealistic, especially if unlike a real pilot you were shot down and "killed" 1000 times since you started simming to the point where you're good enough to wipe out the AI every time--your skills are what's unrealistic, it's not stupid AI)
Comprehensive SP options including scripted and dynamic campaigns and a large variety of single missions and a random mission generator for all those people that either don't have the time, circumstances, or desire to fly online
In-game comms with wingmen and ATC that seems even halfway real, not like a scripted line that doesn't work at that time
A UI that added to the immersion and didn't detract from it, to make you feel like you were a pilot and not using a sim--I think CFS3 had the last one like that. I think Flanker had the first one that totally ignored it.

In an attempt to make sims more real, they've been forced to make them shallower, and they've seen a concurrent loss in customers as the "fun" has been reduced to "learn the planes." If that's not what appeals to you, there's little left in modern sims for you.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4254569 - 04/30/16 04:05 PM Re: Why aren't more playing online? [Re: Jedi Master]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
As the ability for PCs to model more and more increased, the customers demanded more and more to be modeled. Meanwhile, development costs increased universally and complexity for creating even a lite sim went up.
Devs picked and chose their focus, and where did they go to? Visuals (because videos/screenshots sell) and the physical modeling of the planes (because claims of "most realistic ever!" sell).

Look at all the areas that had to be neglected to make those two work:
Robust MP (including anti-cheat, coop for campaigns and single missions, and so on)
AI that felt realistic (not hard, because hard =! realistic, and just because you can get 10 kills in one mission doesn't make it unrealistic, especially if unlike a real pilot you were shot down and "killed" 1000 times since you started simming to the point where you're good enough to wipe out the AI every time--your skills are what's unrealistic, it's not stupid AI)
Comprehensive SP options including scripted and dynamic campaigns and a large variety of single missions and a random mission generator for all those people that either don't have the time, circumstances, or desire to fly online
In-game comms with wingmen and ATC that seems even halfway real, not like a scripted line that doesn't work at that time
A UI that added to the immersion and didn't detract from it, to make you feel like you were a pilot and not using a sim--I think CFS3 had the last one like that. I think Flanker had the first one that totally ignored it.

In an attempt to make sims more real, they've been forced to make them shallower, and they've seen a concurrent loss in customers as the "fun" has been reduced to "learn the planes." If that's not what appeals to you, there's little left in modern sims for you.

The Jedi Master

Couldn't have said it better.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  CyBerkut 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.