Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4223650 - 01/31/16 02:07 PM The WOFF world - you can't help but be impressed by it  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Flying an early morning sortie today in the SE Verdun sector I was stopped, yet again, by what a complete experience the WOFF virtual world is. Even in the relatively quiet areas, at least as far as the war is concerned, there are scenes like this:

(open the image in a new tab to appreciate it full size)

Bravo OBD, bravo. You have managed to create an entire living, breathing "reality" across thousands of virtual square miles.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4223656 - 01/31/16 02:18 PM Re: The WOFF world - you can't help but be impressed by it [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
Incredible shot Lou and even more incredibly, it's just one of hundreds - perhaps thousands - that are equally as engrossing. Devs said improving scenery was on the list of things to do for WOFF X. I wonder how much farther than can take it, but then again they always manages to surprise us, don't they?

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4223657 - 01/31/16 02:24 PM Re: The WOFF world - you can't help but be impressed by it [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Great shot Lou,it looks like the snow could fall again any second.

Hellshade: spot on pal,really looking forward to what the guys do with WOFF X

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4223675 - 01/31/16 03:18 PM Re: The WOFF world - you can't help but be impressed by it [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Beau-ti-ful winter scene, Lou!
Yes, I never marvel about the ground scenery much in other sims,
but WOFF can make me do! Same for the skies!
The many differing weathers and cloud formations are unique IMHO!

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4223682 - 01/31/16 03:34 PM Re: The WOFF world - you can't help but be impressed by it [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Sometimes I fly a QC solo flight down in Alsace like I'd fly a mountainous region in FSX yep

Exploring Switzerland in great fun!

#4223691 - 01/31/16 04:11 PM Re: The WOFF world - you can't help but be impressed by it [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Hi Lou! Great to see you again! I have to say I completely agree. WOFF builds on its predecessors to a degree that I didn't fully appreciate until I really started diving into the sim. The thing just drips with atmosphere. I remember the blurb on the back of the box of Red Baron II (I still have it on my bookshelf), that said "A fully dynamic world that is alive at all times. Battles happen whether you are there to see them or not." And I remember back then thinking that was the case. Seeing the one green tent, the one green truck under the observation balloons, the ambulance that would roll out, bells dinging, if you came in wounded. But the sheer level of living things in WOFF is staggering. I often take off and notice that I can hear the faint sound of trucks grinding along somewhere, then look around and spot a long train of them, kicking dust up behind them as they run more supplies to the Front.

My first memory of OFF was when you approached the Front, that disturbing echo of artillery fire rumbling ominously in the distance gave me a sense of foreboding. After surviving many a campaign in RB, it felt like Winder and Pol and OvS and the rest of the crew warning me, "this isn't your old flight sim..." And they were right!

I also have to say that a huge tip of the hat goes to Matt for the incredible score in this sim. I often listen to it while I'm working on my dissertation. Helps set the mood! Especially the eerie allied briefing music!

#4225937 - 02/06/16 03:40 AM Re: The WOFF world - you can't help but be impressed by it [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON

The scene looks almost serene, were it not for that observation balloon...

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4225973 - 02/06/16 08:31 AM Re: The WOFF world - you can't help but be impressed by it [Re: MudWasp]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Originally Posted By: MudWasp
Sometimes I fly a QC solo flight down in Alsace like I'd fly a mountainous region in FSX yep

Exploring Switzerland in great fun!

Not exploring Switzerland, against orders, but indeed flying from Belfort just straight into the mountains is a real beauty. I started my campaign in MS48, got a transfer to MS23 were the action was, but I went back, now to MS49, it is still 1915 and empty skies, but I do not care just doing the orders and looking around.

Last edited by dutch; 02/06/16 06:55 PM.
#4225987 - 02/06/16 11:02 AM Re: The WOFF world - you can't help but be impressed by it [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Wayfarer Offline
Wayfarer  Offline

Near Birmingham U.K.
That last shot reminds me of an early German observation balloon photograph taken looking towards Ypres. It has an 'authentic' feel to it.

For various reasons I haven't run WOFF for a while now, but these shots have got me rather nostalgic for the WOFF world.

#4226006 - 02/06/16 01:16 PM Re: The WOFF world - you can't help but be impressed by it [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Awesome shot Fullofit cheers

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4227020 - 02/09/16 06:34 AM Re: The WOFF world - you can't help but be impressed by it [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
I agree, WOFF 2 is stunningly good!

Its just so tight and slick now, where everything has come together so nicely. I upgraded to a new computer during my WOFF hiatus, so I can now run WOFF wide open, and WOW!

WOFF has the best looking weather of any sim out there, including the most modern civilian sims like X-Plane. And the landscape detail is just mind blowing. I feel like I'm entering a model railroading sim when I fly down near ground level, its just beautiful. Being able to run the planes in hi-res now is also a treat.

Hats off to the guys at OBD, WOFF 2 is a master piece! thumbsup

Thanks also to Aris and Ankor for their contributions that were integrated into WOFF. I think WOFF 1 was a diamond in the rough. WOFF 2 is a diamond! Can't wait for WOFF X.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM