Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4226428 - 02/07/16 04:44 PM Re: LOL - theyre hardcore over there. [Re: The_Winger]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

... what?

Did I have to pay $70 for 4 planes that Russians can play their way to for small change? Is this a scam, or just racism?

#4226434 - 02/07/16 05:23 PM Re: LOL - theyre hardcore over there. [Re: The_Winger]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Market. The price for normal versions for then is 60/80$.

But they have option to buy a "Start" edition DVD with "unlocked" Bf 109 an LaGG-3 and unlock the rest of planes and bells and whistles playing that "campaign" - a incentive to play the campaign.

Looks this "low cost" Start don't have much success, as today people are used to "Pay2Win" and prefer pay more and have Fw 190's for start. smile

Whats lead to another question, is not only price that hinders game sales...

#4226456 - 02/07/16 06:41 PM Re: LOL - theyre hardcore over there. [Re: Trooper117]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Trooper117
I don't do external views.

I have a friend who claims he hasn't flown in external views in over 20 years, never. I don't believe him smile

We have great fun arguing over this. The "pit" view is like a religion to him. You can't step outside the pit!

He thinks I'm a blasphemer...I fly in the pit for takeoff, landing, and fighting, but spend the rest of my time in external views.

The reason I had to respond, was, in closing my post above I almost said:

"But Loft, being a hardcore MP player, probably has never seen the exterior views of his planes, so he doesn't know if they're shiny or not!"

...but I didn't because, even though tongue in cheek, it would have come off snarky.

But then, sure enough, here comes a "pit" guy in the next post to say "doesn't effect me much when I'm in the pit." smile

You should give external view flying a try, there is whole big world out there to see wink

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4226472 - 02/07/16 07:13 PM Re: LOL - theyre hardcore over there. [Re: Cloyd]  
knightgames Offline
Hotshot
knightgames  Offline
Hotshot

MA
Originally Posted By: Cloyd
Originally Posted By: knightgames
Originally Posted By: dburne
Originally Posted By: Charlie_SB
I actually prefer their style. People should re-learn to mind their manners.

-C-

Except that does not apply both ways...

I am always amazed at what they let their ardent supporters get away with saying to others over there. They definitely have a "clique".

Oh now you did it. They'll be showing up any minute to tell us there isn't a clique.

The "ignore" button is your friend. wink

Understood and I do have one person on ignore... but why should I have to use the ignore button when certain people consistently and negatively jump on another person's position or opinion. If they want to keep the forums clean of riff raff then do it fairly.

There have been new members come in and ask questions and it's the same tribe that comes in like a pack of marauding indians to thwart any possible conversation which could lead to pointing out flaws or misunderstanding of game features. I think Jason calls it defending the game.

#4226482 - 02/07/16 07:40 PM Re: LOL - theyre hardcore over there. [Re: knightgames]  
Cloyd Offline
Cloyd  Offline

Cape Cod
Originally Posted By: Cloyd
Originally Posted By: dburne
Originally Posted By: Charlie_SB
I actually prefer their style. People should re-learn to mind their manners.

-C-

Except that does not apply both ways...

I am always amazed at what they let their ardent supporters get away with saying to others over there. They definitely have a "clique".

Oh now you did it. They'll be showing up any minute to tell us there isn't a clique.

The "ignore" button is your friend. wink

[snip]... but why should I have to use the ignore button when certain people consistently and negatively jump on another person's position or opinion. [snip]

In twenty years in online forums, I've only used the ignore button 6 times. Four of those times were here, for the ardent "supporters". I do it to keep my blood from boiling when I read the misinformation, misdirection, and crap that they routinely deposit here. Personally, I'm much better off having that extra filter.

Cloyd

#4226540 - 02/07/16 10:58 PM Re: LOL - theyre hardcore over there. [Re: knightgames]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

Understood and I do have one person on ignore... but why should I have to use the ignore button when certain people consistently and negatively jump on another person's position or opinion. If they want to keep the forums clean of riff raff then do it fairly.

There have been new members come in and ask questions and it's the same tribe that comes in like a pack of marauding indians to thwart any possible conversation

This.

It has gotten to where I do not even read their forums much anymore, at least no where near as I used to. Primarily due to this. That atmosphere exists there more than any other forum I subscribe to and it has really turned me off to the 1CGS group.

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
#4226572 - 02/08/16 01:01 AM Re: LOL - theyre hardcore over there. [Re: The_Winger]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
I agree that the reflections are a bit overdone but so is this thread. Keep grinding that axe and you'll have nothing left but the handle.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4226606 - 02/08/16 03:24 AM Re: LOL - theyre hardcore over there. [Re: The_Winger]  
Cloyd Offline
Cloyd  Offline

Cape Cod
A customer had the audacity to suggest that the planes are too shiny, and the developer felt compelled to lock the thread and tell the customer to build his own sim.

Now, I don't mind the shine. It shows off the nice 3D work, even if it is overdone. But the customer that he was responding to has two gold bars under his name. That's surely not the way to treat your most loyal customers. wink

#4226666 - 02/08/16 08:50 AM Re: LOL - theyre hardcore over there. [Re: The_Winger]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Yeah, unfortunately they haven't taught Jesus, Buddha or Sir Galahad to code flight sims yet. Get of your high horse.

#4226685 - 02/08/16 11:30 AM Re: LOL - theyre hardcore over there. [Re: The_Winger]  
Extreme_One Offline
Mission Builder
Extreme_One  Offline
Mission Builder

Southampton England
Well I didn't realise you had to be a religious deity or fictional legend in order to provide good customer service.
Who knew?

It certainly explains why I get such poor service in the bank and the supermarket.

#4226713 - 02/08/16 01:53 PM Re: LOL - theyre hardcore over there. [Re: KodiakJac]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Originally Posted By: Bucksnort
I don't do external views.

I have a friend who claims he hasn't flown in external views in over 20 years, never. I don't believe him smile

Ok, I will only go into EV when I want to take a screenshot, that's it... generally in quick missions.
If I go online I never come out of the cockpit.
If I play SP it's always set to expert, or whatever they call it... but hey, that's just me.
I certainly don't care how anyone else flys, that's up to them it's their game after all.
But shiney planes means nothing to me as I spend the majority of time in the pit.

#4226750 - 02/08/16 02:50 PM Re: LOL - theyre hardcore over there. [Re: The_Winger]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
This was one thing I admit CloD did better--the weathering slider let you pick how shiny you wanted your plane to be. smile

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4226792 - 02/08/16 04:43 PM Re: LOL - theyre hardcore over there. [Re: The_Winger]  
Mudcat Offline
Serial Thread Killer
Mudcat  Offline
Serial Thread Killer

Wilton, NC
I tried once to fly externally in a game, I couldn't do it, trying to control the plane in 3rd person just seemed so odd. But even flying from the cockpit I can still see my own wings and provided my opponents there aren't of the invisible variety, I can see other's planes. I don't notice much shine but they do look "wet", which is what the op said over on the games forums.

It doesn't bother me, if I had to venture a guess it's probably a lighting thing. Seems like the colors are saturated in the same way they would be if you were taking a color photo in the rain. Hard to show some real world examples anymore in the digital photography age where color manipulation is easy, looks like i'm going to have to check the game now, I don't recall seeing much of a difference under different lighting conditions, but I may be wrong.

#4226808 - 02/08/16 05:27 PM Re: LOL - theyre hardcore over there. [Re: The_Winger]  
Mudcat Offline
Serial Thread Killer
Mudcat  Offline
Serial Thread Killer

Wilton, NC
Jumped in a Stuka and took a look at the wings, noon time, clear conditions, in the snow and then at noon, overcast and rain on the autumn map. It looked pretty reasonable to me, although I will say this, looking at the planes in the hangar they do certainly look like sopping wet shiny things, but I didn't notice that in game.

#4226859 - 02/08/16 06:50 PM Re: LOL - theyre hardcore over there. [Re: Trooper117]  
Ami7b5 Offline
Ami7b5  Offline

Ok, I will only go into EV when I want to take a screenshot, that's it... generally in quick missions.
If I go online I never come out of the cockpit.
If I play SP it's always set to expert, or whatever they call it... but hey, that's just me.
I certainly don't care how anyone else flys, that's up to them it's their game after all.
But shiney planes means nothing to me as I spend the majority of time in the pit.

^^This.
The same with me...

If you're close, get closer.
#4226874 - 02/08/16 07:06 PM Re: LOL - theyre hardcore over there. [Re: Mudcat]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Quote:
Hard to show some real world examples anymore in the digital photography age where color manipulation is easy, looks like i'm going to have to check the game now, I don't recall seeing much of a difference under different lighting conditions, but I may be wrong.

Old Kodakhome help - Looks "fresh factory" paint:

Well, unless that tractor was taking the plane to the shop where they apply the "BoS extra bright varnish coat". smile

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/AFSilverstar/1a35322u1.jpg
http://www.pavelkosenko.com/lj/048/29.jpg
http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/24/55/47/5429737/3/1024x1024.jpg
http://universoretro.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/nazi-invasion-poland-18.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCyXMul-UOE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9GyS1I6vBk

Thing is, if the games producers are right, this people that assembly and paint WWII plastic models are doing this wrong in the past ~70 years, despite all RLM, etc charts.

OK - BoS defenders will say that is the plastic under the primer coat in the model that prevents the paint to "shining".

smile

#4227034 - 02/09/16 08:26 AM Re: LOL - theyre hardcore over there. [Re: Extreme_One]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Originally Posted By: Extreme_One
Well I didn't realise you had to be a religious deity or fictional legend in order to provide good customer service.
Who knew?

It certainly explains why I get such poor service in the bank and the supermarket.

They do still teach English in England right? I mean I know they will make Urdu the national language soon but you should be able to recognise hyperbole.

@Sokol.

It's rare to see a warbird painted with matte paint these days since it wears away quicker so it's cheaper to use gloss paint. I learned that from Guido Zuccoli (who is sadly no longer with us although I think his wife still owns and maintains his collection)

As for the model plane, what is that supposed to prove? It's a plastic kit. You always get some reflection depending on the angle of the sun and metal but not like it is represented in BoS unless a gloss paint is used.

Last edited by JimmyBlonde; 02/09/16 08:31 AM.

#4227059 - 02/09/16 11:26 AM Re: LOL - theyre hardcore over there. [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Extreme_One Offline
Mission Builder
Extreme_One  Offline
Mission Builder

Southampton England
Originally Posted By: JimmyBlonde

They do still teach English in England right? I mean I know they will make Urdu the national language soon but you should be able to recognise hyperbole.

Indeed, and it would appear some Americans are unfamiliar with sarcasm.

#4227077 - 02/09/16 01:33 PM Re: LOL - theyre hardcore over there. [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Originally Posted By: JimmyBlonde

It's rare to see a warbird painted with matte paint these days since it wears away quicker so it's cheaper to use gloss paint. I learned that from Guido Zuccoli (who is sadly no longer with us although I think his wife still owns and maintains his collection).

Then the game producers* based the painting look of their models in actual Warbirds for Air Show (shine paintings) and not in 1940's schemes?

* Not only in BoS, in CloD MOD the "shine" is (IMO) a bit exaggerated too, is said to improve the poor plane visibility of original version, and Air Show Warbirds paints was show as example...
Like the glass reflection that was present in release version - but discrete, was amplified in attempt to make the planes more visible at distance, resulting in the "light bug" effect... Remembering that in this game (release) the planes disappears at 2,5/3 KM in some LOD transition.

#4227138 - 02/09/16 05:30 PM Re: LOL - theyre hardcore over there. [Re: The_Winger]  
LizLemon Offline
LizLemon  Offline

The problem with shiny aircraft in BoS is that they aren't using physically based rendering. In simple terms PBR is making sure that the shaders used on different materials match the properties of that material in the real world, which results in things in game reflecting light like they would in real life.

This problem is really obvious if you look at the specular reflections in BoS - which can take on all kinds of weird colors. The wet look of planes is another issue.

War Thunder, which recently changed their graphics engine to PBR, shows what can be done with this technique when it comes to ww2 aircraft. And I think the game actually looks very good now and superior to BoS by quite a bit, minus some of the awful texture work.

the scratches on the windscreens is another iffy issue. It is my understanding that the luftwaffe, as well as the RAF and USAAF had scratch fillers maintenance crews would use to fill and polish wind screen scratches. Obviously how well this was done would greatly depend on the priorities/time/supply issues the ground crew is dealing with, but I don't think the super scratched 190 armor is representative of anything but maybe the most poorly maintained 190s. Possibly appropriate for flying over Berlin in '45, but I doubt accurate for relatively new 190s.

"Flight-simmers love as many graphics options as possible." - Jason, November 2012
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  CyBerkut 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.