Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4226173 - 02/06/16 10:52 PM Re: Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths [Re: LB4LB]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

Originally Posted By: LB4LB
Having been sick for a while now, I think a lot of doctors are psychopaths. I don't think they care about healing you. I think they see you as a piece of meat that they can make money off of. They don't care about the physical, financial, emotional, or psychological pain they put you and your family through. Hippocratic oath, my a$$.

Things like surgeons would be quite a good career for a psychopath- in some ways that could be an advantage. You'd want someone steady to work on you who can't be grossed out or get twitchy by what they see, just about business. On the other hand, if you get the sociopathic type, they might be thinking about other things, and that's a problem.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4226175 - 02/06/16 11:00 PM Re: Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths [Re: Linebacker]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Actually, I consider my surgeon a genius. The location of my tumor (colon/rectal cancer) could have resulted in me having to wear a colostomy bag the rest of my life. After a 7 hour surgery, he was able to make it that I will only have to wear one for 4 to 5 months. It is very hard to ask him questions and has zero bed side manner.

#4226177 - 02/06/16 11:03 PM Re: Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths [Re: Linebacker]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
...and in the end, you have to ask yourself if you'd rather receive treatment from the cold personality who has no manners or that super-nice guy who is great at bed-side conversation but limited in his abilities on the table.

#4226181 - 02/06/16 11:09 PM Re: Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths [Re: Ssnake]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Originally Posted By: Ssnake
...and in the end, you have to ask yourself if you'd rather receive treatment from the cold personality who has no manners or that super-nice guy who is great at bed-side conversation but limited in his abilities on the table.

You are right. I just remember after my surgery when he would come in and check my wounds. They were supposed to use a robot on me, but my pelvis was too narrow. The had to really cut me up. He would come into my hospital room, and push on my abdomen and other stuff. I would almost pass out from the pain. He didn't seem to care he was hurting me. I just remember clicking the button for the moraphine after he was done.

#4226183 - 02/06/16 11:11 PM Re: Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths [Re: Linebacker]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

There's a balance- if in the future things start trending towards psychopathy, that means things like cooperation or teamwork can have problems with integrity- because psychopaths can only be self interested, so they will throw the system out of whack if given the right opportunity and the right environment. And these are the types of people that can fleece their companies when the time is right, make off with the goods, then lawyer up and get off scot-free, which is often what happens.

Empathy for others is also an evolutionary advantage for our species in terms of having culture and society function, you can't have everyone be a psychopath, or it probably feeds on itself. Psychopathy works when it's relatively few individuals- they need enablers- they need people to say, 'yeah, he's a different sort, but he gets the job done.'

Incidentally, occupations such as artists have low degrees of psychopathy- because things like being creative and using their internal feelings and emotions to express to others like that is virtually impossible for them. They can mimic and learn to copy and play beautiful music, but they can't really compose it themselves.

#4226193 - 02/06/16 11:33 PM Re: Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths [Re: LB4LB]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

Originally Posted By: LB4LB
Originally Posted By: Ssnake

You are right. I just remember after my surgery when he would come in and check my wounds. They were supposed to use a robot on me, but my pelvis was too narrow. The had to really cut me up. He would come into my hospital room, and push on my abdomen and other stuff. I would almost pass out from the pain. He didn't seem to care he was hurting me. I just remember clicking the button for the moraphine after he was done.

Look at the way Spock views things- Spock might look at someone in emotional or physical pain or something and say, "Fascinating." It's curious to them.

They can't empathize, if someone were to cut someone open without anesthesia, they don't wince or anything (because after all, they aren't the ones being cut open). For that reason, they don't understand these invisible connections that empathy normal people seem to have when they react to one another- the psychopath might think, "Weird, when does this stop? It seems to stop with me."

The way they process language is strange in the same way, indexing only the dictionary meaning of pain and suffering they see, not comprehending what they feel like, so observing behavior to them is fascinating and strange to them and it might show in their language how they describe it.

Perhaps we can understand this by killing or torturing insects and watching them writhe and not feeling anything about it. There are a few very empathetic people at other end of the scale who seem to feel pain from even hurting a fly, or at least they claim to. That's the other end of the scale from the psychopath.

#4226194 - 02/06/16 11:35 PM Re: Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths [Re: Linebacker]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Suppose I have to repeat myself: A person showing some traits that are often associated with psychopathy is not a psychopath. Calling them all like that is not helpful, it just creates fear and anxiety. Putting a medical diagnosis label on everything creates all kinds of misleading connotations. Back in the day when this wasn't done people used to be more observant of a person's character, and while "ruthlessness" was not necessarily praised as a desirable attitude we at least are more willing to acknowledge that there's a place for it.

A psychopath is someone you don't want to be around with, pretty much everybody would want to see him locked up.
But you can just as well describe such a person as "witty and charming", "bold, occasionally ruthless even", "calm and steady in a crisis", and "perceptive". This summarizes many of the traits of a psychopath but sounds infinitely nicer. Whether such a person is dangerous or helpful depends entirely on the circumstances. The label "psychopath" is usually just not conducive to a mature discussion outside of the circle of medical professionals.

#4226195 - 02/06/16 11:37 PM Re: Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths [Re: Linebacker]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

Have you read what I said up above? I said that was the case. Everyone displays some degree of psyhopathic traits. I've said it a few posts above.

That doesn't make them psychopaths- it's spectrum disorder, at the lower end is what most people are, at the higher end are the psychopaths, becoming more so as you go along the spectrum.

#4226200 - 02/06/16 11:42 PM Re: Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths [Re: Linebacker]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
I'm not even sure that the term "spectrum disorder" is of much help outside of medical circles. It comes with an (absolute) negative connotation, even the "slight" cases are still a "disorder". I'm simply advocating dropping the medical labels in everyday conversation and rather focus on traditional words to describe a person's character, shifting the emphasis to how people behave rather than what they supposedly are.

#4226201 - 02/06/16 11:51 PM Re: Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths [Re: Linebacker]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

That is how it is viewed- in fact, psychopathy for that reason is not considered an either/or thing, it's not a discreet this or that condition.

In fact, it's not an 'official' diagnosis given by any medical or psychiatric organization. There have been a few people who specialized in this area of study and which for law enforcement purposes society has taken their research as the gospel on them.

But they recommend of course not going around labeling everyone you see as that as such- just because a friend ripped you off or a girlfriend cheated on you doesn't make them psychopaths. A jerk isn't a psychopath.

It's more of a syndrome- it's a complex of personality traits combined which is defined as psychopathy. It's not just narcissism by itself, for example.

#4226205 - 02/07/16 12:07 AM Re: Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths [Re: Linebacker]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

And by the way, this won't seem scientific to some of you, but a very right brained, perceptive, intuitive empath such as myself, I sense them when I encounter them. Their clumsy but subtle mistakes in affect, speech, expressions can be obvious and can look ridiculous. Normally, empaths like myself they would like to target for study, but they sense that I'm quite good at identifying many of them, because I 'sense' what they're thinking, while it's difficult for them to actually read me in return. And psychopaths know who the other psychopaths are- it's like looking in the mirror to them, and they might just kind of share a nod and that's about it.

#4226224 - 02/07/16 01:09 AM Re: Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths [Re: Linebacker]  
Sturmtiger Offline
Sturmtiger  Offline

USA
I was really just focusing on the lack of empathy when I posted about autism, specifically Aspergers.

We, I'm one, do learn to copy normal human emotions.

It is very strange though, because it is not automatic and you have to remember to play the mimic in those situations.

Psychopaths aren't anymore dangerous than other humans. Ii is a " me first " in all cases.

Without the added trauma etc., they do not naturally become killers.

Trapped in a burning building with one your on your own, unless they need you to get out.

Last edited by Sturmtiger; 02/07/16 01:12 AM.
#4226232 - 02/07/16 01:28 AM Re: Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths [Re: Linebacker]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

There is still such a thing as socialization. A psychopath raised to be law abiding will probably generally be that (although not necessarily ethical- it's not illegal to say, fire all their employees at Christmas time, but that's something psychopath doesn't care about it). Likewise, climbing the corporate ladder in the most self serving way but using ruthless means- again, may not be illegal, but along the way they may step on others. He may also lie a lot- to friends, lovers, again, that's not necessarily illegal, but that gets him more what he wants in his life.

A psychopath raised in a violent neighborhood, well, that's what he's learned, and that's how his brain is going to configure itself, and that's what he's likely going to be- a violent, sociopathic type of psychopath.

This is why I say they are useful to study- in a way, it's a reflection of the rest of us, if they are mimicking what they see, what does that say about the rest of us? A psychopath probably even says to himself: "I learned to lie and manipulate, because I had to. That's what I see works on the rest of you, and that's what you expected of me to survive, you would not accept me the way I am." - Again, given that, it's something that society should really reflect on if this sort of thought process can be quite successful. So we should study psychopaths as they study us.

#4226235 - 02/07/16 01:37 AM Re: Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths [Re: Linebacker]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

I see them, the majority of them still have tells. Something even like a micro twitch in their facial expressions or in their body language, they've only learned these things instead of feeling it from the gut, it's an act. They are inherently a combination of all kinds of behavior they've observed and assumed, without actually feeling them. So their smiles often look like they look out of place with the rest of their face, it looks like a bad act, until they really spend time practicing and getting it down- which is only easy for a few naturally gifted actors.

Given as a whole, they can be better fakes than the rest of the population, though. A psychopath can be a much better liar than a non-psychopath, but since they still are only putting a mask, if you're perceptive, you can detect things subconsciously that they're doing wrong. It doesn't look natural. This is also why therapy is not advised to work- since they use that to learn how to be better mimics and learn how to use that to their advantage. They're basically being taught what their emotional response should like, so they can practice.

#4226240 - 02/07/16 02:12 AM Re: Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths [Re: Linebacker]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Cosmetologist, or hair and nails.

EVERY woman I've ever known (and I'm talking like 15 of them over the years) who worked those fields was pretty psycho in one way or another.

#4226244 - 02/07/16 02:22 AM Re: Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths [Re: Linebacker]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

Does anyone here find the below image alluring? Has anyone ever met someone- either a male or a female who had a steady, seductive, unbroken gaze like this and seemed like they were flirting with you no what the discussion might be about? Like you are intensely interesting to them.

#4226247 - 02/07/16 02:35 AM Re: Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths [Re: Linebacker]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

I've seen many of them. They usually turn out to be psychopaths.

#4226253 - 02/07/16 03:02 AM Re: Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths [Re: Linebacker]  
WolfDancer Offline
WolfDancer  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Portrait of a psychopath:

War is the continuation of natural selection by other means.
#4226289 - 02/07/16 06:50 AM Re: Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths [Re: ]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Originally Posted By: oselisan

...The truth is, most people enjoy harming others. However we have put these rules that it is unacceptable.

For example, someone does a horrible thing and is caught on video. Video goes viral and the perpetrator gets death threats all over. People in the society gang up on him/her to cause harm. Everyone actually enjoys this because they have the excuse to harm someone in the name of justice...

I don't have the medical chops to attempt to be the gatekeeper of the term "psychopath" but to me this doesn't come close. Social shaming is people being d-bags. Those d-bags are, however, not causing pain for the visceral joy of doing so. They are behaving in ways that scratch the human desire to be part of a tribe. By shaming the "bad guy" it makes them and their "good guy" co-tribablists feel better about themselves. It is ugly but essentially human. A psychopath is the most monstrous human for there is, but fortunately extremely rare.

#4226292 - 02/07/16 07:15 AM Re: Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths [Re: WolfDancer]  
ADorante Offline
ADorante  Offline

Originally Posted By: WolfDancer
Portrait of a psychopath:

Yeah, (I once read a report about a study where) they used the prisoner's dilemma to compare the behavior of employed stock brokers/investment bankers to certified psychopaths. The psychopaths behaved more cooperative than the traders. Add investment bankers to the list.

"It's people like you that give people like you a bad name!"
- Jessica Jones
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.