Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4225253 - 02/04/16 01:40 PM WW2 Online - BattleGround Europe  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

How many are still playing this? Has it been mentioned here recently? Probably lots of newer folks haven't even heard of it - this is what we all had dreamed of. Looks like it is still graphically stuck in the late 90's. Anyone still playing it?

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4225256 - 02/04/16 01:46 PM Re: WW2 Online - BattleGround Europe [Re: TerribleTwo]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
LOL What a blast from the past you just brought up for me.

I played WWII Online for the first 3 years of its existence (2001-2004) and I eventually cancelled my membership because I got bored of fighting in the same fricking theatre of operations. I know that the graphics have improved quite a lot since then but it still looks very dated compared to other MMO's.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4225268 - 02/04/16 02:34 PM Re: WW2 Online - BattleGround Europe [Re: TerribleTwo]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I was also there at the start. It was fun for what it was, which was always more potential than substance.

In those days I would fight on the German side. For whatever reason we had an airfield a fair distance behind our own lines that the Tommies would rush to capture with a truck, and then have a base to our rear. So I would take my trusty 38(t) and drive the 15 minutes or so it took to get there and park in one of the hangars. The enemy would spawn planes thinking they were being quite crafty only to cartwheel and crash during takeoff due to the withering MG fire. Any that made it off the ground would seek revenge and try to strafe me through the hangar doors but that's not easy to do.

I had quite a bit of fun with this game, but it never lived up to what I had hoped it would be, but in fairness I only played for maybe the first 2 years.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4225272 - 02/04/16 02:40 PM Re: WW2 Online - BattleGround Europe [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: DBond

In those days I would fight on the German side. For whatever reason we had an airfield a fair distance behind our own lines that the Tommies would rush to capture with a truck, and then have a base to our rear. So I would take my trusty 38(t) and drive the 15 minutes or so it took to get there and park in one of the hangars. The enemy would spawn planes thinking they were being quite crafty only to cartwheel and crash during takeoff due to the withering MG fire. Any that made it off the ground would seek revenge and try to strafe me through the hangar doors but that's not easy to do.

LOL Now that's what I call vulching by tank! biggrin

I played on the German side as well. I remember once being transported on a ship for about an hour in an attempt to invade England to only then have the ship sunk by British planes before we could disembark. That was a wasted hour of my life where I did nothing but have text chat conversations with other infantrymen on the ship. lol

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 02/04/16 02:42 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4225282 - 02/04/16 02:59 PM Re: WW2 Online - BattleGround Europe [Re: TerribleTwo]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Haha it sure was, I'm so cheesy.

There was another spot near a bridge, partially obscured by tress/vegetation and I would sit at the end of this bridge and just attack anything that tried to cross.

I remember taking part in a few of the big 'assaults', but it always seemed a server reset would soon follow any gains we might have made which made all of the effort in co-ordination and investment in time seem rather pointless. I wanted this game to be great, but it always seemed to be a near-miss for me.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4225286 - 02/04/16 03:06 PM Re: WW2 Online - BattleGround Europe [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

This game died when they tried to make it into a town based FPS with the mobile spawns. The game was 10x better fighting in the country side and having to ride for 20 min in a truck to attack a town. It really gave you a sense of life and needing to survive to attack. Then they added the mobile spawns and it was a bunch of trucks rushing and then the towns flooding with infantry. No more forward base defense, no more great tank battles in the country side. Just rush rush rush in a game engine not designed for smooth FPS combat.

Canceled about 6 months after that. I've gone back a few times but never managed to make it past a month. it just isnt fun anymore the way they have it set up.

Last edited by Master; 02/04/16 03:07 PM.
#4225297 - 02/04/16 03:46 PM Re: WW2 Online - BattleGround Europe [Re: TerribleTwo]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Any idea how many play on a good night?

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#4225298 - 02/04/16 03:48 PM Re: WW2 Online - BattleGround Europe [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

4 red infantry and 2 blue infantry but equal at 4 red and 4 blue tanks and 2 red planes and 3 blue planes! biggrin

#4225300 - 02/04/16 03:54 PM Re: WW2 Online - BattleGround Europe [Re: Master]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Master
4 red infantry and 2 blue infantry but equal at 4 red and 4 blue tanks and 2 red planes and 3 blue planes! biggrin

Huh? I don't get it.

#4225304 - 02/04/16 04:23 PM Re: WW2 Online - BattleGround Europe [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: Master

Huh? I don't get it.

In the old days the Rats didnt want to ever tell you how many people played the game (and they still dont) so they removed the old roster command to tell you how many were online. Instead they added a roster command for your squad and then made a chart with two sides red/blue that had 5 infantry men, 5 tanks, 5 planes and 5 boats on each side. Then they calculated the player imbalance between the two sides.

So if there was 50 allied infantry and 100 german infantry they showed 2 blue infantry icons and 4 red infantry icons.

But they never would tell you how many were actually playing.

Even right now the only info they give you is population: low, med or high. They dont tell you how many actually play.

#4225307 - 02/04/16 04:25 PM Re: WW2 Online - BattleGround Europe [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
If there's that much need for paranoid secrecy then it ain't high.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4225309 - 02/04/16 04:27 PM Re: WW2 Online - BattleGround Europe [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Ah , ok. Thanks for that explanation Master. That's one of the advantages of not being a publicly traded company. You don't have to disclose certain things like how many registered players you have.

#4225310 - 02/04/16 04:30 PM Re: WW2 Online - BattleGround Europe [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

I think the big issue wasnt how many total were online but how the side balance was ALWAYS 2-5:1. There was a lot of cries fowl and instead of addressing the issues that caused the imbalance they just hid the imbalance and kept moving on. They used to ban you from their forum if you brought the topic up.

But yea, numbers have to be extremely low these days. Even with their free to play account and their returning veterans promotions. I cant think of a single person who left that went back and stayed. Its just not the game it used to be and they haven't really dont any updates in almost 2 years. They just now recently figured out how to patch the game. (they fired all their programmers and only kept the server guys).

The game should die soon (within a year maybe?) unless you already consider it dead (which most do)

#4225313 - 02/04/16 04:33 PM Re: WW2 Online - BattleGround Europe [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Still, it's an utter miracle that the game is still around after 15 years. The initial release of the game was a total disaster so the fact that they recovered from that is impressive.

#4225404 - 02/04/16 07:00 PM Re: WW2 Online - BattleGround Europe [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
The game was actually really good for me when there were no limits on tank spawns. I remember going on a massed tank raid of maybe 7-8 Panzer IIIs, driving cross-country to the enemy held town, and then letting loose on the Allies. We got near the airfield and took out maybe half a dozen planes that tried to take off before people got the hint and stopped trying. smile
A large number of Allied tanks spawned and we had a grand old time slugging it out. Of course we lost because we'd die one at a time and then be 10 mins away from returning while the Allies were able to come back at once and we had no infantry support to cap anything. But it was fun just doing the battle.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4225463 - 02/04/16 08:39 PM Re: WW2 Online - BattleGround Europe [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Is the game that I play more in last years, ~3/4 times a week. smile As I don't enjoy the COD/BF's "run and jump" or the ARMA "theatre" or his "Zombies" variations...

Despite the "easys'ness" added - to try attract "new players" - like the mentioned spawn box - now painted in dark green, what sometimes put the action ~2 KM always from a city, or the night dont be "night" anymore, just a dusk... still enjoyable.

I play as F2P, limited to use bolt action rifles, SMG (MG-34, Sten, Grease gun) and manage a 20mm Flak.

In last year they try "improve" some things, like add new items (above SMG), re-skins others, but as the main code seems lost at long time some "collateral effect" happen, like vehicles sinking in the terrain...

In a unfavorable Time Zone, depends on day you have 20/30 players on your side, with tank action.
Always are air force active above.

Most of times allied side win the campaign.

In resume, depend on player expectancy still a good "battleground" - with authentic early 2000's (or Nitendo64 bits) graphics. smile

There's a game that try imitate the formula, with better graphics - the Heroes & Generals - but with the "run and jump" like CS/COD/BF...

#4225469 - 02/04/16 08:47 PM Re: WW2 Online - BattleGround Europe [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

H&G is a joke hiding in a pay to win game masquerading as a first person shooter.

I really enjoyed the game in Alpha but there wasnt a lot of content (still isnt) as far as maps go. But the unlocks were glacially slow and they really pushed you to pay money. Then once you did they kept nerfing the weapons and adding new and better ones.

I really wanted to enjoy that game but even after putting in about 80 bucks it still wasnt fun.

#4225618 - 02/05/16 11:42 AM Re: WW2 Online - BattleGround Europe [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Wow, 20-30 players on a side? That's really sad. Right before I quit I would estimate each side had at least several hundred players on any given night.

#4225855 - 02/05/16 11:14 PM Re: WW2 Online - BattleGround Europe [Re: TerribleTwo]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

It seems then that most people now want instant gratification (duh, are we surprised), without putting in the effort and time needed for a true to life online war gaming experience.

The current wave of online war games (including games like war thunder) should be enough to prove that.

#4225944 - 02/06/16 04:11 AM Re: WW2 Online - BattleGround Europe [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
I played when I was stuck in my place after my knee surgery last year. It was hard to find a squad, they either had odd hours or wanted a crazy commitment, I'm sorry, but I'm not able to play that much. I was planning on playing only 3-5 hours a week after my knee recovered enough to move.

That said, one of my best gaming moments (easily top two) was when we were in tanks waiting for an attack and we could see dust and movement across this open area. I was in a Pz IV (with the 75) and the tension was so thick. It took the Allies about 10 minutes to prep for the assault, the wait was killing us. We were using voice comms and I remember the tension just killing us and in one fell swoop they came out of the tree/bush line and the fight started.

We survived the first push, but then the fight slowed down. We took a number of losses and they took a beating. We were once again holding the line waiting for them as they brought up another round of tanks. That time they fixed their issues and when they hit us, they brought air power. That made the difference and we ultimately were destroyed. We took a number of their tanks, but we didn't have airpower. I remember thinking, "This must have been what they were facing after the weather cleared at the Battle of the Bulge and the Allies were able to provide air cover."

This game has so much potential, but it's just not being utilized. There isn't enough population to make it enjoyable and I wasn't really enjoying the spawn camping when I played in in May/June last year.

Last edited by Timothy; 02/06/16 09:32 PM.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.