Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4224839 - 02/03/16 02:30 PM Re: Lowering DUI rate to .05 [Re: Top Gun]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
Originally Posted By: Top Gun
We rarely drink so I'd like to see it lowered, just need more policing to catch them. Hate people who say police traps are "unlawful" and how they have to post them in the paper prior. If you're not breaking the law you have nothing to worry about, it's that simple...

I don't think that's a good attitude to take. I do believe that drunk drivers are a really big problem and I do not sympathize with them at all - I believe punishments should be far harsher than is practical, but the constitution of the US is the most important document in the entire country and it restricts government from impeding free travel.

Bars should be forced to install mandatory "key lockers" at the door that require a breathalyzer test in order to get your keys back when you leave. Fail the test, call a cab or find someone else to drive. I believe more effort should be spent on combating the problem at the source rather than catching people after it's too late. A drunk driver caught at a road check is a good thing, but on the way to that road check how many people did he endanger? It's too late.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4224842 - 02/03/16 02:38 PM Re: Lowering DUI rate to .05 [Re: LB4LB]  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA
Or personal responsibility could rule the day. Yeah right, silly thought...

#4224882 - 02/03/16 03:37 PM Re: Lowering DUI rate to .05 [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: VF9_Longbow

I don't think that's a good attitude to take. I do believe that drunk drivers are a really big problem and I do not sympathize with them at all - I believe punishments should be far harsher than is practical, but the constitution of the US is the most important document in the entire country and it restricts government from impeding free travel.

Which has nothing to do with making sure people aren't driving while drunk. There is no Right to Not Be Inconvenienced. Some people are a bit too lose with what "free" is supposed to mean.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4224892 - 02/03/16 04:02 PM Re: Lowering DUI rate to .05 [Re: LB4LB]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
We have a drinking problem in our state. A massive one, resulting in many, many dead folks every year. We also happen to have oxygen thieves driving around without licenses and multiple previous DUIs. I'm all for effectively locking them in a small box and losing the key forever.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4224894 - 02/03/16 04:06 PM Re: Lowering DUI rate to .05 [Re: LB4LB]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
With the recent amount of drunk driving arrests down, it looks like the current laws are working. This also means a lot less money to be made for many in the legal system. If I go out for a steak and one beer, I am fine to drive. But I bet I would be close to .05. This new law will mean that the only time most people can have a drink is when they are home for the night. I don't see that happening. Drive by any bar or restaurant that sells alcohol on a Friday or Saturday night, they are packed. Just seems like a money maker law.

#4224899 - 02/03/16 04:26 PM Re: Lowering DUI rate to .05 [Re: Jedi Master]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

Which has nothing to do with making sure people aren't driving while drunk. There is no Right to Not Be Inconvenienced. Some people are a bit too lose with what "free" is supposed to mean.

The Jedi Master

The Government already restricts 'free' travel with the NoFly list. Those on the list are still free to travel using other modes of transportation including walking.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4224915 - 02/03/16 05:01 PM Re: Lowering DUI rate to .05 [Re: Jedi Master]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

The Jedi Master

Exactly, if DUI checkpoints were unconstitutional restrictions on free travel, what would TSA screenings be? Or traffic lights? The right to travel refers to the gov't not being able to require you to apply for permission to move from one place to another as you see fit.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4225017 - 02/03/16 07:55 PM Re: Lowering DUI rate to .05 [Re: Peally]  
Rumpelhardt Offline
Rumpelhardt  Offline

Maine
Originally Posted By: Peally
We have a drinking problem in our state. A massive one, resulting in many, many dead folks every year. We also happen to have oxygen thieves driving around without licenses and multiple previous DUIs. I'm all for effectively locking them in a small box and losing the key forever.

Same here. The saving grace in Maine is it's low population and being generally rural otherwise it would be much worse though this also contributes to the difficulty in enforcing DUI laws.

Resident Bitter Clinger
#4225041 - 02/03/16 08:29 PM Re: Lowering DUI rate to .05 [Re: LB4LB]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
These days I don't want to drive with more than one beer/wine with dinner. It just doesn't feel smart.

Still, it blows my mind that bars have parking lots and not every car has a DD. Just asking for trouble.
Wouldn't it be better to require bars have someone at the door for those exiting, to have a DD take a breathalyzer? If they can pay someone to let people in, they can pay someone to let them out to the parking lot. If the driver doesn't pass, they have to call a cab.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4225083 - 02/03/16 10:23 PM Re: Lowering DUI rate to .05 [Re: LB4LB]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Well, taking away your irresponsible patrons' keys to the car by force is just asking for trouble. Even IF it were legal (it isn't) it would surely drive away the customers. So, no. Not a viable option. What people who want to drink and to drive need are fully autonomous cars without the option to override the steering. Or they need to go out for dinner by walking.

Numerous solutions exist, the driverless car is probably the most expensive one, and I'm not convinced that people will really buy them in numbers. But if the concept should have any chance of success at all, there must be an option for fully autonomous mode that absolves the passenger from all responsibility in case of accident. Otherwise, what's the point?

#4225089 - 02/03/16 10:50 PM Re: Lowering DUI rate to .05 [Re: LB4LB]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I'm still stunned that someone thinks they can drink a 12-pack and drive just fine.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4225095 - 02/03/16 11:20 PM Re: Lowering DUI rate to .05 [Re: LB4LB]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Watched an experiment on TV once
Three guys had to drive around a race track for couple of hours.
The experiment was conducted at night under strict supervision
Various hazards were placed on the track one guy had to speed, one was well over the legal limit and one was sleep deprived
Under no circumstances would I condone drink driving but the guy who was sleep deprived faired far worse in the various tests then the other two drivers.

#4225098 - 02/03/16 11:34 PM Re: Lowering DUI rate to .05 [Re: LB4LB]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Let's just hope they don't pass a law saying driving without the proper amount of sleep is illegal. I'm sure they can come up with some test for that too that applies to everyone. And no, I am not condoning drunk driving.

#4225103 - 02/03/16 11:55 PM Re: Lowering DUI rate to .05 [Re: Ssnake]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: Ssnake
Well, taking away your irresponsible patrons' keys to the car by force is just asking for trouble. Even IF it were legal (it isn't) it would surely drive away the customers. So, no. Not a viable option. What people who want to drink and to drive need are fully autonomous cars without the option to override the steering. Or they need to go out for dinner by walking.

Numerous solutions exist, the driverless car is probably the most expensive one, and I'm not convinced that people will really buy them in numbers. But if the concept should have any chance of success at all, there must be an option for fully autonomous mode that absolves the passenger from all responsibility in case of accident. Otherwise, what's the point?

They can't keep your keys from you, but they can be responsible for calling you in. Bars get sued for letting drunks leave, give them some recourse. I'm talking about a law that puts all bars on equal footing, not singling out some place for people to abandon. Even better if they get uniformed, but off-duty, cops to do that job. It's already done for security purposes around here, why not preventing DUI's?
Or, you could automate it. Fence in the parking lot, like many already are. When you park you drop your keys into an automated valet, something that looks like a Red Box or coke machine. To leave, you take the test and get your keys. You get the keys regardless, but the machine takes your picture, documents the time and blood alcohol level--which you are also given and offers to call a cab/Uber for you. That alone might be enough, but you could also have it alert the police to people over the limit that drive off.

It's common to see road blocks put up as well, just a few blocks out, but covering the roads so they can't be avoided. They can't be expected to do that all the time though.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4225126 - 02/04/16 01:01 AM Re: Lowering DUI rate to .05 [Re: oldgrognard]  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA
Originally Posted By: oldgrognard
I'm still stunned that someone thinks they can drink a 12-pack and drive just fine.

You need to down a 12 pack and your attitude will change.

#4225134 - 02/04/16 01:36 AM Re: Lowering DUI rate to .05 [Re: LB4LB]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
You need 13. "One more for the road."

smile

I've always been Eight Hours Bottle to Throttle - not because of any law, but because I have a real fear of hitting a kid with my truck. Oddly specific, I know, but I've never had a beer and got behind the wheel.

This is where driverless cars could be a real boon. We could go from breathalizer devices to start vehicles to making DUI people restricted to them.

And I could rent one, go pub crawling with the wife and tell it to take me home in a slurred voice.

Point of information:

Both the wife and I have alcoholics on both sides of the family, and all the genetic fun that comes with it. We've more than once drove up a bar tab well into three digits and had the bartenders scratching their heads on why we weren't sloppy. Too loud, yes, and a bit too deliberate in our actions (natural coping technique), but happily sitting on our stools joking around as the whiskey flows on and on. Without being very cognizant of this it would be very easy to fool ourselves into thinking we were okay to drive.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4225141 - 02/04/16 01:56 AM Re: Lowering DUI rate to .05 [Re: Wireman]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: Wireman
Originally Posted By: oldgrognard

You need to down a 12 pack and your attitude will change.

Yeah... plus he might start preferring Glocks since he wouldn't need to fumble around looking for a thumb safety... wink

#4225190 - 02/04/16 05:50 AM Re: Lowering DUI rate to .05 [Re: LB4LB]  
W-Molders Offline
W-Molders  Offline

I.E. Commiefornia ..S.B Count...
I could drink a 12 pack and drive.. never stumbled while walking... no seeing double ect..I drive just fine with normal driving (iam not saying pushing the limit wouldnt show my BAC) but just normal driving I never faulted or drove bad.... I am not saying that was the right thing to do.. remember, I am 6'3 250 (being scottish doesnt hurt either)

I just handle booze VERY well.. like I said, some people are the opposite.. they drink 4 beers and run a red light and kill somebody.

[Signature deleted]
#4225200 - 02/04/16 08:32 AM Re: Lowering DUI rate to .05 [Re: LB4LB]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Here's the real problem with DUI laws: It's the same bust for the person who had two beers and the person who had twenty.

There's no "degree of severity" with the charge itself, yet there is a huge degree of severity with the offense itself.

The ability to pass a field sobriety test should make it an infraction - albeit heavily escalated for repeat offenses.

#4225204 - 02/04/16 09:19 AM Re: Lowering DUI rate to .05 [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
They can't keep your keys from you, but they can be responsible for calling you in.

Just another symptoms of a litigation mentality based on illusion that there's always someone else at fault BUT the one who did wrong.

Either way, I'm shocked to see in this thread how many people are still defending the indefensible. Two beers or ten, if you're above the blood alcohol limit for operating a vehicle you shouldn't be allowed to drive. It doesn't matter if you would "almost make it" avoiding an accident or if you're wildly swerving and zig-zagging the road and then crash. In both cases someone else is paying the price for your irresponsible behavior - and therefore society has a say in this.

It is sufficiently established by medical science that .05 is the threshold beyond which you can't react adequately to a surprising situation in traffic. There is no rational basis to argue in favor of a .08 limit, or to call for proportional punishment because "others are so much worse". You already get punished for ANY alcohol in your blood if you are involved in an accident (and rightfully so). The .05 threshold doesn't say that it's safe to drink up to this point and then it becomes gradually unsafe until, after well into the second 12-pack, it eventually reaches a critical level.

The impairment of driving skills setting in can be demonstrated at .005 (!) already, and from then on it's going downhill, period. You want to drive a car? Then don't drink. You want to drink? Call a taxi. It's quite simple, actually.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.