Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4223034 - 01/29/16 04:55 PM Returning to the Unfriendly Skies  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Well now, it has been a little while since I last posted. November to be exact... duck

My apologies for the considerable delay in my presence around here. RL has gotten incredibly busy as I'm in the last stages of closing in on my degree. With holiday travel back and forth I've had very little time in front of the gaming computer. Toss in some surprise Christmas presents in the form of Battlefield 4 for PC and a brand new PlayStation 4 with Star Wars Battlefront thrown in, and the time quickly got away from me.

But I have to say, the other night I finally had some gaming time that was longer than the 20 minute chunks I've been working with lately, and I got back to some WOFF.

My 1916 German pilot has survived a few weeks of combat duty and even notched up his first confirmed victory (so that's 1 for 3 so far) and I was terrified of losing him so I spent about two hours bouncing around the fantastic Quick Scenarios that WOFF has to offer. Bombing runs, balloon busting and defense, close air support and of course, the massive furball dogfights of 1918. I'm also happy to say that I have fine tuned the graphic settings in WOFF and the game looks gorgeous! At this point, even with my nvidia GTX 745, I'm running all of my settings on 5, with the exception of scenery detail, which I have ticked at 4. I've got all of the graphical goodies cranked up on my video card settings and the skies are stunning.

I'll say this as well, the new games are fantastic. The attention to detail in Star Wars Battlefront is astonishing for any fan of the series. And the set pieces in Battlefield 4 are epic. But, like getting back to a classic Jazz album after listening to just so much pop, there is an explosion of endorphins when I fire up WOFF. It's not just entertaining for the eyes and the twitch reflexes, but it's the most immersive digital experience I've ever had for my brain. Flying some training flights for my soon to be certified 1916 ESC LAF pilot, I noticed the smoke from the trains steaming out of Paris as I sat in the observer's seat on my first flight. Back over the lines, I could hear the eerie echo of the barrages as our early war Halberstadt's flew over the front. The explosions below combined with the atmosphere of it all - the haze of the summer sky, the lighting casting shadows across my wings and the patches of dark earth from the cloud's shadows below. It completely sucks you in.

Rather than those 20 minute bursts in star fighter or cargo, I lost two HOURS simply flying and staying alive. I love how different the goals are in this sim. It's not about racking up victories, it's about the incredible, soul-satisfying feeling of your wheels touching down on friendly grass after an hour up in the very unfriendly skies of WOFF.

Hoping to post far more often. I've missed hearing your exploits and tales from the front and darn if I haven't missed seeing the familiar names around here.

Hope you guys are well. If you have time, give me a shout and let me know what you've been up to!

Cheers!
Soppy

cheers

Last edited by CaptSopwith; 01/29/16 04:56 PM.
#4223049 - 01/29/16 05:24 PM Re: Returning to the Unfriendly Skies [Re: CaptSopwith]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Soppy, always good to see a familiar face around. Like you, real life GREATLY impedes my WOFF time. But I make up for it somewhat just by hanging out here.

I agree with you about WOFF. I still have a "throwaway" pilot running observation missions in 1915, and just flying in formation and getting back home is like, "How in God's green earth did these guys do this?" If I didn't have a flight leader I'd have a pretty slim chance of ever finding my way home - I'm trying to stay completely without aids, just me & the screen, and I have yet to print out any of RAF_Louvert's splendid maps.

I've tried a few quick combats here and there; and for the sake of my brother-in-law, I once had an impetuous and headstrong young German pilot, Rex von Schnapps, abscond with the Red Baron's triplane for a joyride ("If that idiot so much as scratches my plane, I'll break his neck!" sputtered the Baron from the ground...), but no real combat yet.

Still, as you say, it's a truly immersive environment, and very beautiful as well. I've said before here that I've never had a sim that gave me a real sense of altitude - I went into a steep bank once, looked down into the turn and drew back with a "Whoa!" And those skies! As close as I've ever been to being aloft on a 2D screen! And when I "get back" from a mission, I'm tired! I sense, to some limited degree at least, what it must have been like. At least I'm not freezing and covered with castor oil... or bleeding...

Good to "see" you again, keep plugging on that degree! (and WOFFing!)

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#4223154 - 01/29/16 09:41 PM Re: Returning to the Unfriendly Skies [Re: CaptSopwith]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

HumanDrone, I highly recommend Lou's maps. Very detailed (as well they should be with all the work he put into them, thanx again, Lou), right down to treelines. Coupled with a few familiarization QC's at a new drome (which must have been done IRL) and then with only a basic idea of the direction you went parallel with the lines you can find your way home without aids, even as flight leader. Usually my first familiarization flight focusses on landmarks around the airfield and on a direct line to and from the front including the lines directly opposite my field. That way if I ever get "disoriented" (I never get "lost" winkngrin ) I simply fly along the lines until I recognize something and I'm right back on track.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4223178 - 01/29/16 10:57 PM Re: Returning to the Unfriendly Skies [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Yes, welcome back Capt'n! Long time no hear from! What ever you do, get Lou's maps from the official WOFF site and while your at it, get the JSGME mods Lou created for Boistrancourt and Bray Dunes. They will be an amazing experience once you fly over them. Also Bray Dunes has special night lighting for the runway which is worth seeing if you fly a night mission there.

Cheers mate!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4223196 - 01/29/16 11:42 PM Re: Returning to the Unfriendly Skies [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Wolfstriked Offline
Wolfstriked  Offline

NYC
I agree Capt! salute Great sim and I am happy to be back but must say that I am getting my ass handed to me.Two Fokker EII careers ended by death so far and I come to realize how rusty I have gotten.Where before I was in tune with the oddity of the plane itself and the focus needed for situational awareness I am now like a total rookie.Getting killed now for the one thing that I know you should never do in air combat,that being target fixation.I lost my ability to think survival and instead latch on to enemy plane situated in front of me and disregard everything else.Thank the gods I have unlimited lives and can practice this mindset of combat...LOL

#4223917 - 02/01/16 02:31 AM Re: Returning to the Unfriendly Skies [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Wolfstriked Offline
Wolfstriked  Offline

NYC
Holy moly!!!! Just ended my third career by death! Enjoying being lost to the WOFF world while in the most atmospheric landing pattern with my squadron and then I was jumped by an N11. rofl Lost aileron control and tried my hardest to keep her level but down she went.I gotta agree with OP that the challenge of just staying alive is excellent in WOFF and adds to the excitement as I love being challenged.

That said,I must say that the constant loss of control function seems off.If I remember correct the devs said that due to the Eindecker wing its very vulnerable to wing failure and hard to fix?

Last edited by Wolfstriked; 02/01/16 02:32 AM.
#4223931 - 02/01/16 03:25 AM Re: Returning to the Unfriendly Skies [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Wolfstriked, you need to try Oldhat's DM mod. It is supposed to adjust the Eindecker's DM.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4223945 - 02/01/16 04:10 AM Re: Returning to the Unfriendly Skies [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Wolfstriked Offline
Wolfstriked  Offline

NYC
Banjoman,I tried his DM but I still had lots of control failures.Plus it was so hard to install I gave up.Any chance Oldhat made an easy installer?

#4224067 - 02/01/16 03:21 PM Re: Returning to the Unfriendly Skies [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Don't know about an easy installer. I haven't tried his DM mod, but I might when my Centenary DID German pilot receives a Fokker.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4224127 - 02/01/16 06:22 PM Re: Returning to the Unfriendly Skies [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Wolfstriked Offline
Wolfstriked  Offline

NYC
I read the DM thread again last night and its still the same installer.Also,he writes that the Eindecker family have something odd where even high damage threshold and the controls still go quickly.

#4224485 - 02/02/16 05:41 PM Re: Returning to the Unfriendly Skies [Re: vonBaur]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Originally Posted By: vonBaur
HumanDrone, I highly recommend Lou's maps. Very detailed (as well they should be with all the work he put into them, thanx again, Lou), right down to treelines. Coupled with a few familiarization QC's at a new drome (which must have been done IRL) and then with only a basic idea of the direction you went parallel with the lines you can find your way home without aids, even as flight leader. Usually my first familiarization flight focusses on landmarks around the airfield and on a direct line to and from the front including the lines directly opposite my field. That way if I ever get "disoriented" (I never get "lost" winkngrin ) I simply fly along the lines until I recognize something and I'm right back on track.

I do appreciate the advice! Now we have a nice 44" drafting plotter here at work... wonder what the boss will think when he sees Lou's maps rolling off of it! biggrin

Yeah, I agree, they must have taken familiarization flights. Criminee, I've flown out of Pittsburgh hundreds of times and I've lived here all my life, and and that's about the only place I'd go up on a clear day with just a compass and a road map.

Thanks again!

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#4224602 - 02/02/16 08:36 PM Re: Returning to the Unfriendly Skies [Re: CaptSopwith]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
Capt. , I remember you from long ago. Good to have you back!

Not many here with a "03" join date!

Last edited by CW3SF; 02/02/16 08:37 PM.

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM