Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4218176 - 01/17/16 06:52 PM Still based on outdated Combat flight sim game.  
Pawgy Offline
Pawgy  Offline

Kent, Ohio USA
Don't under stand how this can be any better or less confusing that the original OFF when it is still based on the same outdated Microsoft flight sim.In Off I never could get most of the enemy tracking symbols to work which made the game impossible to play with any degree of skill and fun.

#4218185 - 01/17/16 07:04 PM Re: Still based on outdated Combat flight sim game. [Re: Pawgy]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Give it a try?

You may be surprised - and very positively.

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4218191 - 01/17/16 07:14 PM Re: Still based on outdated Combat flight sim game. [Re: Pawgy]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Originally Posted By: Pawgy
Don't under stand how this can be any better or less confusing that the original OFF when it is still based on the same outdated Microsoft flight sim.In Off I never could get most of the enemy tracking symbols to work which made the game impossible to play with any degree of skill and fun.

I am alternating between "Huh?" and "Geesh really?" so I guess I'll use both.

#4218210 - 01/17/16 07:37 PM Re: Still based on outdated Combat flight sim game. [Re: Pawgy]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Er whaat? We have updated several aspects of the engine and just about every thing there is in CFS3 - even totally replacing tac, labels system, AI, in WOFF since you flew the old "OFF" - and we added many new Direct visuals self via AnKor's great work, all built in now so etc so not sure why you have to have a sideways strange pop at it without even flying WOFF?

Actually I don't even understand your point but anyway each to his own eh.

Key thing is "based on". i.e. no longer the same anyway.

Many of Microsoft's releases of Windows were based on Windows NT even decades later, FSX is based on previous older FS code and so it goes.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4218220 - 01/17/16 07:58 PM Re: Still based on outdated Combat flight sim game. [Re: Pawgy]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Don't under stand how this can be any better or less confusing that the original OFF when it is still based on the same outdated Microsoft flight sim.

Checking the extensive new features list will show you how much better it is than OFF:BH&H. You can find that here:

http://www.wingsoverflandersfields.com/features.html

Also, the numerous top rated reviews do a good job of explaining how many things have been improved. You can find those here:

http://www.wingsoverflandersfields.com/reviews.html

Failing that, watching a lot of the user created videos will also show the huge difference graphically, sound wise and in gameplay.

In Off I never could get most of the enemy tracking symbols to work which made the game impossible to play with any degree of skill and fun.

WOFF includes a keymap chart, which should help you to press the correct keys to get the information that you were looking for.

I do hope you will sincerely take the time to investigate all that WOFF has to offer. It's a top rated WWI flight sim that was ranked by PC Gamer as one of the 20 greatest war games of all time.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-wargames-of-all-time/

There simply isn't a higher rated WWI single player flight sim to be found anywhere. After the sale developer support is also top notch. It's probably worth a much closer look if you are into WWI.

Best wishes,

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4218223 - 01/17/16 08:07 PM Re: Still based on outdated Combat flight sim game. [Re: Pawgy]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone

Pawgy, believe me I'm very critical [still no MS-FF2 Forcefeedback in WoFF, thats me], do have all the RoF stuff you will find in the 777/1C shopstore. I did have OFF2&3 series, Clod/Blazing Angels/Bos/IL2-1946 and all the old WW1 combatflysims like the RB series.

My confessions here, I did buy OFF3 jan 2009 but OFF3 was deleted from my HD, when RoF became playable in the late 2009.
Later as a WW1 flysim fan did read a lot about WoFF, was sceptic like you and Windingman convinced me buy this game [=WoFF1&2 pack].

We can go for a 12 page discussion on pro and cons, but I can tell you I'm playing 98% of my limited gaming time WoFF.
WoFF is complete different then OFF3, there is so much improved. Being a WW1 flysim fan this is a must have.
Right now if I had to choose between RoF and WoFF2 I would go for WoFF2.

I think Hellshade should drop in some nice Youtube links. Only thing that shows the age of the CFS3-engine: no MP for WoFF.

#4218224 - 01/17/16 08:07 PM Re: Still based on outdated Combat flight sim game. [Re: Pawgy]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Pawgy, If you are still using OFF and having difficulty with it, most here would be willing to help you out. That said, the difference between OFF and WOFF is like night and day, and in that order!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4218232 - 01/17/16 08:34 PM Re: Still based on outdated Combat flight sim game. [Re: Pawgy]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Hellshade you should work for the State Department.
I was coming back here, still thinking I was too tame after that OP for possible combat and, seeing your ultra smooth response, just took the wind out of my sails.
Your a gentlemen sir and we will consider the question duly answered and answered well.

#4218252 - 01/17/16 09:28 PM Re: Still based on outdated Combat flight sim game. [Re: Pawgy]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Pawgy, I guess any serious air combat sim demands for a certain willingness to learn something, if it should not be arcadic.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4218442 - 01/18/16 02:09 PM Re: Still based on outdated Combat flight sim game. [Re: Pawgy]  
Pawgy Offline
Pawgy  Offline

Kent, Ohio USA
Just took the time to read carefully all the very considerate replies. Not one was , in an Old Mans terms, what I would call a flame. All were very informative. I think I should consider WOFF as an upgrade, especially if it is easier to get the aids working while flying. That is my biggest complaint about OFF.After Christmas has settled down I may give it a try. I just hope it is easier to install than OFF.Thanks for your informative comments.

PS,. I like arcadic if that means easier. All the available ww1 sims are jut too hard to hit anything if you are 81 years old and the AI can sure hit you easi enough.I do not fly ww1 sims to become an ace. I do it for fun. BTW I have a very good joy stick for flying and a good MOMO red wheel for racing. If i mess with the AI settings I can do well racing but not flying.

Regards
Pawgy

Last edited by Pawgy; 01/18/16 02:16 PM.
#4218458 - 01/18/16 02:42 PM Re: Still based on outdated Combat flight sim game. [Re: Pawgy]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Pawgy, there are many ways to tailor WOFF to make flying easier. There is also an abundance of experience among members of this forum and if you are having any difficulty just post it and those of us who have the necessary skills will aid you to find a solution for any problem you may encounter. The folks on this forum are outstanding.

When you make the move to purchase WOFF, keep us updated on your progress. We look forward to having you join us. May I add that you are not the oldest flight simmer here so don't let that bother you.

Best Regards;

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4218476 - 01/18/16 03:26 PM Re: Still based on outdated Combat flight sim game. [Re: Pawgy]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Indeed.
You can adjust almost everything and make it as "real" or "easy" as your heart desires.
Great sim. Highly recommended.

#4218480 - 01/18/16 04:12 PM Re: Still based on outdated Combat flight sim game. [Re: Pawgy]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Pawgy,

WOFF has become what I consider to be the best "Add-on" product ever made for a PC game. It is so complete it really does feel like a whole new game. WOFF is a very polished, smooth running, professional product. Installation is straight forward and should go easily. WOFF is just dripping with atmosphere and gorgeous graphics. You really will feel like you are playing a brand new game, not a CFS3 add-on.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4218487 - 01/18/16 04:21 PM Re: Still based on outdated Combat flight sim game. [Re: Pawgy]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
Pawgy ---- did you just say you are 81?? If so that makes you the #2 "old gezzer" with me being #3 at 79 in a few weeks and another chap at 93 as #1.

Please note the kind and helpfull folks here --- flaming is bad form and just not done here.

Do buy WOFF 2 and all of the stuff that comes with it. I fly about two hours a day and look forward to
that special time of the evening.

We enjoy each other at get way off topic to the extent of sharing the best way to make Moose or Elk stew.

See you later ( so to speek ).

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
#4218499 - 01/18/16 05:04 PM Re: Still based on outdated Combat flight sim game. [Re: Pawgy]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Surely all us here can't be wrong?

I'm a pretty awful flight simmer..but I'm fine with WOFF. SO not sure what any issue could be.

#4218529 - 01/18/16 05:52 PM Re: Still based on outdated Combat flight sim game. [Re: Pawgy]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Heck I gotta come here more often.
Hearing all these ages of folks makes me feel quite young. I like it.

#4218533 - 01/18/16 05:55 PM Re: Still based on outdated Combat flight sim game. [Re: Pawgy]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Pawgy, welcome, and thanks for coming back. I'm not too far away, just down in Pittsburgh. Just hit 60 myself, and very, very little time to fly - I actually post here a lot more because I can just dash off a quick reply.

As you noticed, you won't find a better bunch of fellow simmers on the 'web. The developers are hear regularly, and support is top notch. And the visuals are absolutely beautiful. I've never been in a sim where I "looked" toward the ground in a turn and went "Whoa!".

I built my rig a few years back (see it right over here, specs in my signature line). If you can afford it, rudder pedals and TrackIR really add to the enjoyment and "immersion." I can't do diddly in this sim or any other serious sim if I have one hand doing stick, rudder, throttle, viewpoint, and firing. Being able to look around by just moving my head a bit is fantastic.

Yeah, I'll bet this thing could be a lot better than the world-class sim it already is if they weren't hamstrung by the ancient CFS3 core code. But they've worked absolute miracles with it; I still have a WWII add-on package for CFS3 and there simply is no comparison. All the guys here say one of the biggest improvements is the AI aircraft - your enemies don't always fight to the death, they act much more historically accurate - if they are tired or low on fuel they'll break and run; sometimes (just as actually happened), they'll not even engage.

Then too, remember that you're shooting at fabric, largely. Unless you hit the pilot or something vital in the engine area, your bullets may well pass harmlessly on their way, in one side and out the other!

So welcome aboard, I hope you hang around. It warms my heart (and gives me hope!) to see an 81 year old so computer savvy, and actively simming!

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#4218580 - 01/18/16 07:05 PM Re: Still based on outdated Combat flight sim game. [Re: Pawgy]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
I think I need to add, if you upgrade (and by George, do it man! wink ), that it's actually easier with the flight models set to "hard" - because that's the way the act the most realistic, and in line with their performance envelope.

I've been trying to fly without any aids, and it's crazy. You wonder how these guys did it - it's all I can do to reasonably stay in formation, and if I didn't have a squad leader to follow, I'd be hopelessly lost. One of the guys who replied, RAF_Louvert, has devoted a tremendous amount of time and effort to making a really nice set of maps, so you can print them out and go from paper to screen and back, just as they did in the war, gawking over the side of the plane looking for landmarks.

I've had to use some of the aids in the sim*, usually just to get back home. But in combat, I'm not sure that things like the targeting cone would be very helpful - there's so much going on, an dthe nearest plane might not be the one that's after you. Again, if you can get TrackIR and just look around, your own situational awareness will be far superior, and a whole lot more fun!

Plus everyone here will be happy to help!

Best,

Tom
* I refuse to call WOFF a "game". It is a simulator, and a very, very good one at that.

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#4218788 - 01/19/16 05:28 AM Re: Still based on outdated Combat flight sim game. [Re: HumanDrone]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Originally Posted By: HumanDrone
your bullets may well pass harmlessly on their way, in one side and out the other!

WOFF's AI is great and I always get fully immersed inside its world. However, unless something has changed, damage modeling in WOFF uses basic hit boxes. Bullets cannot pass through a WOFF plane without damaging it due to the hit boxes. Same simple hit boxes idea for the engine as there are only 3 areas to hit - fuel tank, oil reservoir, or engine block.

That being said, if OBD could improve this basic DM to be more complex in WOFF X or Gold, then that will be something very special indeed.

#4218805 - 01/19/16 08:48 AM Re: Still based on outdated Combat flight sim game. [Re: Pawgy]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Let us hope!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ