Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4212741 - 01/03/16 03:16 PM Steven Avery - did he, or didn't he.  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

The biggest piece of evidence for me, was the fact that Halbach's body had to be burned in a large hot fire for the bones to be that charred. The ONLY fire that was happening at that time, was right there at Avery's house, at his own admission. It is absurd and unreasonable to believe anyone else, the Sheriff or a third party, to burn her body in that large of a fire without being seen, and then transport her bones to Avery's house, and dump them, all without being seen by Avery or anyone else for that matter.

Yes he did and guilty as sin.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4212827 - 01/03/16 08:30 PM Re: Steven Avery - did he, or didn't he. [Re: TerribleTwo]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
If he did that murder knowing that he was suing the police department at the same time for previously framing him in the past, then he has to be one of the dumbest murderers ever...

Personally I wasn't convinced one way or the other, since the evidence was circumstantial and the police botched the search, but I have to trust the jury on the guilty verdict since they would have seen a whole lot more evidence than we did on the documentary.

I really enjoyed that, hope Netflix do more of these, like HBO does.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4212868 - 01/03/16 11:34 PM Re: Steven Avery - did he, or didn't he. [Re: TerribleTwo]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

The docu leaves out enough pertinent info to sway the audience to Avery's side - thus making a good controversial show. But the entire evidence reveals many little details. Especially how Dassey knew about things only the cops would have known.

Bar all that, the fire. The body needed to be burned and there is now way anyone else was burning her body at night - would have been seen by everyone. Only Avery himself, by his own admission, was having a big bonfire. The docu failed to mention that Avery initially denied having a fire until witnesses came forward.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#4212885 - 01/04/16 01:21 AM Re: Steven Avery - did he, or didn't he. [Re: TerribleTwo]  
CG2015 Offline
CG2015  Offline

I had to google it. I have never heard of this Avery guy.

I found this:

http://www.people.com/article/steven-ave...ot-key-evidence

#4212985 - 01/04/16 01:08 PM Re: Steven Avery - did he, or didn't he. [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

In the 3rd or 4th episode that poor kid Dassey was assigned a defender--a such pathetic goof with a constant nervous laugh that I began to believe the whole thing was an elaborate joke. Then, when the defender had his investigator trick and lead Dassey into another confession, I really became convinced. This was Orson Wells and War of the Worlds--a well-writen ruse. But sadly it is real.

Avery did it. But the corruption and consistent criminality of that police department is dumbfounding. What a despicable gang of thugs! The strong-arm interrogation of Dassey, a child imbecile, ruined a life. The police knew that in Avery they had the right guy. But they felt the need to finger the scale to assure a more solid case. You really see through this film how the blue wall works and how, behind that wall, is a system of DAs, AGs, elected judges and even the FBI all serving as a rear-guard.

#4212994 - 01/04/16 01:59 PM Re: Steven Avery - did he, or didn't he. [Re: kludger]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: kludger
If he did that murder knowing that he was suing the police department at the same time for previously framing him in the past, then he has to be one of the dumbest murderers ever...

Most criminals are some of the dumbest human beings you'll ever meet.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4213006 - 01/04/16 02:22 PM Re: Steven Avery - did he, or didn't he. [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Suicidal_6 Offline
Suicidal_6  Offline

Gulfport
I watched the whole documentary out of boredom, there's no way Dassey was involved.

_ _ ______________________ _ _

S6
#4213081 - 01/04/16 06:18 PM Re: Steven Avery - did he, or didn't he. [Re: TerribleTwo]  
3instein Offline
3instein  Offline

Falkirk,Scotland
Just starting episode three now, the way those sheriffs and supposed law officers squirm under questioning is pretty telling imo, they look scared sh%&less in case someone found out what they did. (Ep1,2)

Enthralling doc though.

Mick.

"An appeaser is someone who feeds the crocodile hoping he will be eaten last"

Winston Churchill

#4213105 - 01/04/16 07:13 PM Re: Steven Avery - did he, or didn't he. [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
The "key" is the key. How did it just show up on the floor when the slippers were moved and it wasnt' there then. Why didn't they find any blood or DNA in the house?

I remember the news helicopter video footage of the fire pit, but for the life of me I don't remember the details and outcome.

#4213109 - 01/04/16 07:23 PM Re: Steven Avery - did he, or didn't he. [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Smokin_Hole
In the 3rd or 4th episode that poor kid Dassey was assigned a defender--a such pathetic goof with a constant nervous laugh that I began to believe the whole thing was an elaborate joke. Then, when the defender had his investigator trick and lead Dassey into another confession, I really became convinced. This was Orson Wells and War of the Worlds--a well-writen ruse. But sadly it is real.

Avery did it. But the corruption and consistent criminality of that police department is dumbfounding. What a despicable gang of thugs! The strong-arm interrogation of Dassey, a child imbecile, ruined a life. The police knew that in Avery they had the right guy. But they felt the need to finger the scale to assure a more solid case. You really see through this film how the blue wall works and how, behind that wall, is a system of DAs, AGs, elected judges and even the FBI all serving as a rear-guard.

We were thinking the same thing... I thought there is no way this is real, I told the wife after that Fargo-Like weasel of a lawyer was on, this is a fictionary. There are so many twists and turns, oddities, and "characters" in this thing, it screams for a movie. Fiction couldn't be any less convincing. I am STILL in doubt whether this is real. I'm just waiting for the Coen brothers to come out telling us what a big joke it was...

BTW, that weasel lawyer needs a part in the next season of Fargo TV series..

#4213135 - 01/04/16 08:36 PM Re: Steven Avery - did he, or didn't he. [Re: TerribleTwo]  
3instein Offline
3instein  Offline

Falkirk,Scotland
I too thought Dassey's lawyer acted like a scumbag who really didn't have his client's best interests at heart, glad he got replaced.

Just finished Ep4, was pretty cool when they opened the old evidence box from 1985 and inside was a vial of Avery's blood, especially with the hole in the top which looks like a hypo was used to take some blood out, then the box had been resealed with tape.

Man I was hoping they were going to DNA the Scotch tape and hopefully find that detective who's sig seems to be on everything, was him who found the key, on the 8th search, even though it was in plain view and hadn't been seen before.

Ah well onto Ep 5, I am still not convinced Avery is guilty, only convinced how corrupt the whole system is there.

Mick.

Winston Churchill

#4213140 - 01/04/16 08:45 PM Re: Steven Avery - did he, or didn't he. [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
I have a question... don't laugh... I know the case is real, I watched it on tv back then. I can't tell if this is a Netflix movie because I can't believe it would have been that video documented. But it looks real to me.

Just I'll have to wait until they bull doze the trailer, I remember seeing that on the news.

#4213142 - 01/04/16 08:50 PM Re: Steven Avery - did he, or didn't he. [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: Smokin_Hole

Yeah I echo the same sentiments, that public defender for Dassey should be disbarred for the terrible job he did "defending" that kid... he looked to be actively colluding with the prosecution and police to have his client confess to more things... and he mentioned that he had recently just lost an election for a judge position and would try again.

Overall whether Avery was guilty or not, the overall thing I got out of that documentary was just how inept/corrupt the justice system is in that state in both the cases, from the police department street officer who was out to get Avery for the incident with his wife, to the homicide detectives who manipulated the confession of the kid with learning disability, to both the sheriffs who personally manipulated the investigations, the slimy DA, the State AG who didn't find any issues with the original case, and especially the DA from the other county who came in to supposedly avoid conflict of interest but turned out just as slimy and has since been suspended for sexting and sexually coercing a victim in another case he was prosecuting...

Even the FBI seems to have joined in with some last minute lab techniques to prop up the case as well, but I just hope the publicity of the case and the documentary brings the FBI and DOJ to cleanup the obvious corruption, a public lack of trust in the justice system evidenced here is a not good for anyone, it just hurts the good cops and DAs.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4213185 - 01/04/16 10:22 PM Re: Steven Avery - did he, or didn't he. [Re: TerribleTwo]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Aaahhhhh, you all do realize that this is tv don't you ?

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4213211 - 01/04/16 11:38 PM Re: Steven Avery - did he, or didn't he. [Re: TerribleTwo]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

It's a real case OG. The docu leaves out specific details which would make Avery look "more" guilty, but if you read about the case, all the transcripts and watch the recorded interrogations, and watch the trial, it's almost unbelievable. The docu took 10 years to make.

Last edited by TerribleTwo; 01/04/16 11:39 PM.

#4213222 - 01/04/16 11:54 PM Re: Steven Avery - did he, or didn't he. [Re: TerribleTwo]  
3instein Offline
3instein  Offline

Falkirk,Scotland
Just starting Ep7, policeman Lenk has just taken the stand, he is the guy who seems to have had a hand in every piece of evidence going back to 1985, taking quite an interest when his dept shouldn't have, he definitely looks like he is hiding something.

Really interesting watch, it reminds me of something similar I watched a while back.

Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117293/

That was a good documentary as well, it also showed the police dept to be pretty devious with evidence.

Mick. smile

Winston Churchill

#4213297 - 01/05/16 04:44 AM Re: Steven Avery - did he, or didn't he. [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
I am a little amazed by the quality of the video after 15 years. Feels a little strange watching the news reporters like Rob Olsen, he has aged, but not as much as I thought he would have.

#4213323 - 01/05/16 11:00 AM Re: Steven Avery - did he, or didn't he. [Re: TerribleTwo]  
3instein Offline
3instein  Offline

Falkirk,Scotland
Well after watching the whole 10 episodes, (took me 12 hours) I am still not convinced about Avery's guilt, which I don't think they proved beyond reasonable doubt at all.

I thought it was telling that one of the jurors who got replaced due to family crisis was really concerned about the whole process. When the jurors first went into deliberation it was 7 for innocent, 2 for guilty and 3 undecided, he went on to say there were 2-3 stubborn jurors whose mind seemed made up and just seemed to be there to sway the weaker jurors, they ended with a guilty verdict.

I really thought they would find Dassey not guilty, the way the system treated that kid should frighten quite a lot of folks.

The only thing it convinced me was how absolutely corrupt to the core the whole legal system there is, just so full of self serving narcissistic individuals that it is really pretty scary when you think about it.

Anyone interested in courtroom dramatics would love this documentary as it really was well made.

Mick. smile

Winston Churchill

#4213348 - 01/05/16 12:54 PM Re: Steven Avery - did he, or didn't he. [Re: oldgrognard]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Originally Posted By: oldgrognard
Aaahhhhh, you all do realize that this is tv don't you ?

It was TV. And yes like all media, it is biased to tell the story the writers wanted to tell. But an intelligent viewer can get a pretty clear picture. There is no narrator, no script, just people in their own words. I personally am grateful for the writers of the series for having the dedication to document this story for over 10 years. The did it with the knowledge that there was a real chance that they might never be able to tell the story. (guessing that because of potential mistrials or appeals). This was a real education. The horror isn't just to be the victim of a crime, but also to be the accused. Avery is a murderer. But getting the right guy isn't, in itself, justice. The process must be just.

#4213370 - 01/05/16 02:10 PM Re: Steven Avery - did he, or didn't he. [Re: TerribleTwo]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

His first 18 year conviction was appalling. Especially when it was clear the Sheriff disregarded all evidence that would have cleared him while he was in prison. It's one thing to wrongfully convict a guy based on good faith investigation, but to actually withhold pertinent evidence is criminal. And amazing how the state attorney general's office found nothing criminal about it.

I think Avery almost had an "I'm entitled" to get what I want attitude after that - I did the time, now I can do the crime.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.